The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 December 2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Glpstandard
"TRF" Member

Women's Rolex on Ebay. Any reasons to be suspicious?

A quick little backstory: I have toyed with the idea of getting my wife a Rolex since I bought my Expy II a few years ago. She isn't a watch person, and has always said she doesn't really want an expensive watch because she is afraid she will lose it (but that's what insurance is for). Lately she has been bugging me about a Tag Heuer watch though. She is looking at a particular one for around $2000 with a diamond bezel. It is all about the bling and shiny diamonds for her. She doesn't care about the watch whatsoever, which makes me ask her why she doesn't just get a nice bracelet, to which she replies she can't find one that is wide/thick enough for her. I do know she likes the functionality of having a watch on, but isn't necessarily a watch person. Whatever, it is what it is.

That being said, with her really wanting a Tag Heuer watch lately, I have been further thinking about surprising her with a Rolex (I suspect she will like a nice Rolex just as much as the Tag, since it's not about name brand for her). Here is one I was looking at on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LADIES-ROLEX...oAAOSwgyxWWoGv

With this particular watch, or this seller in general, is there anything to be suspicious of? No box, no papers, and the seller has several women's Datejust watches encrusted with diamonds, so it makes me wonder if there is any reason to suspect they are fakes.

Now a couple side questions:

1. Has anyone shipped a Rolex to an APO box? I've only shipped my Rolex through Registered mail one time to RNYC for a service, and it was pretty nerve wrecking. Military mail system is VERY unreliable at times, so I question whether or not I should even try to ship a Rolex to my APO (I am AD Air Force stationed in Germany, so this is the only way to get a watch to me unless I pay International shipping which I wouldn't trust either, not to mention taxes and customs fees).

2. When it comes to a watch like the one I linked to, what exactly is aftermarket and what is authentic and original? Are the diamonds used typically of good quality, or are they cheap crap? Do people use original dials and just add the diamonds, or is the entire dial and bezel aftermarket? What about servicing? No way to get these serviced through Rolex I imagine unless you swap everything out before sending it?
Glpstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I'll let the experts weigh in on the watch - the seller says there's a lot of 'custom' work. CrownCollection (David) will be along shortly I'm sure.

I've had three watches shipped to my APO's in the middle east (including expeditionary Wings) with zero problems. Use USPS registered mail (typically about $30). It will take a week to get to the Jamaica, NY port, then about another week to you, depending on where you are. They keep it in a vault at the way points and it's quite secure. Far safer than FedEx or some commercial carrier.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 08:20 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Aftermarket dial, bezel is aftermarket and is to large. It Hangs over the crown changing the classic proportions of the watch . A sapphire crystal conversion to an aftermarket glass on an old poorly and overpolished case. Overpolished clasp symbol and that's just the outside. I wonder if he uses aftermarket parts inside to service cheap before he sells ? . Pass man please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2015, 06:32 AM   #4
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
Pass on this one........
Too many things wrong for a guy that at least knows the right things to be concerned about. If you're in for a penny, be in for a pound. For 3k you could buy her a terrific ladies 2 tone datejust all legit. Nice place to start.......then for the next special occasion buy her a nice diamond bezel. Then add a diamond dial later if she likes that. If U go this route even if she doesn't like it, you will get most of your money back. Buy her a Tag all covered in cheap diamonds, you will take a good old back country washin
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Glpstandard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to pass on this watch (and seller) at your advisement. For $3000.00, I know I can do much better (probably cheaper actually).

I am still continuing my search. When I posted this thread, I was just in the toying phases of pulling the trigger on a watch for my wife, but now I am seriously considering it. I am watching 5 or 6 watches on Ebay right now, trying to wait for the right time to go for one of them, or trying to decide which one to go for. I don't want to post anymore up here until I am 100% sure I want it, because I don't want to miss out on a deal because I showed it to 100 people on a forum and they bought it before I could

Regarding your other advice:

1. My wife isn't a fan of yellow gold, so a two tone is out. I don't know if she would love it if I got her one, though I think they are very nice.

2. I've shown her several Rolex's the past day or so, and she is absolutely in love with them now. Never thought she would say she would want a Rolex (she fought me a little on mine, and thought the idea of spending that much on a watch was asinine). I think I am slowly changing her That being said, she loves the pink (or blue) MOP dials some have, she loves the big diamonds on the bezel, and she likes the diamonds on the dial (though she could live without them if there were diamonds on the bezel). I have considered just getting her a (cheaper) Datejust with no diamonds on the bezel, and adding a diamond bezel later, but I am afraid she won't like it as much and will be disappointed if she opens a Rolex box on Christmas and there is no diamonds on it.

3. I'd like to keep the watch as factory as possible (just have the bezel be aftermarket, if possible). If anyone knows of one for sale on here (with an aftermarket diamond bezel) please let me know as I am a serious buyer and you might be helping a buyer (and seller) out. I would also consider one without the diamond bezel, as long as the dial was pink or blue MOP and had diamonds, as we can always add a bezel later, which she would be okay with I think.
Old 6 December 2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Take a look at Cellini. Their ladies line has some nice blingy (in a tasteful way) watches.

Edit: Here's an expensive example, but they can be found closer to your budget if you're patient http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...highlight=6673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glpstandard View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to pass on this watch (and seller) at your advisement. For $3000.00, I know I can do much better (probably cheaper actually).

I am still continuing my search. When I posted this thread, I was just in the toying phases of pulling the trigger on a watch for my wife, but now I am seriously considering it. I am watching 5 or 6 watches on Ebay right now, trying to wait for the right time to go for one of them, or trying to decide which one to go for. I don't want to post anymore up here until I am 100% sure I want it, because I don't want to miss out on a deal because I showed it to 100 people on a forum and they bought it before I could

1. My wife isn't a fan of yellow gold, so a two tone is out. I don't know if she would love it if I got her one, though I think they are very nice.

2. I've shown her several Rolex's the past day or so, and she is absolutely in love with them now. Never thought she would say she would want a Rolex (she fought me a little on mine, and thought the idea of spending that much on a watch was asinine). I think I am slowly changing her That being said, she loves the pink (or blue) MOP dials some have, she loves the big diamonds on the bezel, and she likes the diamonds on the dial (though she could live without them if there were diamonds on the bezel). I have considered just getting her a (cheaper) Datejust with no diamonds on the bezel, and adding a diamond bezel later, but I am afraid she won't like it as much and will be disappointed if she opens a Rolex box on Christmas and there is no diamonds on it.

3. I'd like to keep the watch as factory as possible (just have the bezel be aftermarket, if possible). If anyone knows of one for sale on here (with an aftermarket diamond bezel) please let me know as I am a serious buyer and you might be helping a buyer (and seller) out. I would also consider one without the diamond bezel, as long as the dial was pink or blue MOP and had diamonds, as we can always add a bezel later, which she would be okay with I think.
Old 7 December 2015, 04:24 AM   #7
hunterp27
Banned

Stay away from eBay.........for now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glpstandard View Post

Small piece of advice. You should buy her first watch here from a trusted seller since you are still relatively new to the scene. Too many ways to scammed on eBay with a Rolex unless you know all the ins and outs. You can go to the classifieds here and type in the model number of say, a women's date just in all stainless and get a great piece with loads of confidence.
Old 7 December 2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Hunter is definitely right about buying from a trusted seller on this site. I've bought 4 watches in the last 45 days on this site from 4 different individuals. Before this site I would not buy online from anyone but now I have a hard time seeing myself buying new from an authorized dealer. Go to who's who buyers and sellers to find a great reliable seller. There are lots of them on here.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 01:43 AM   #9
Glpstandard
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the replies so far. After days of searching for hours on end, looking at literally hundreds of watches on Ebay, Beckertime, Bobswatches, and on these forums, I settled on the P series Ladies Datejust below in the link. The reasons I went for this watch, are because I personally am very iffy about buying a Rolex with aftermarket parts. I think it cheapens the watch, and who knows what has been modified exactly. Almost every watch I looked at over 3 days with an already modified bezel had something I didn't like that made me not feel quite right about buying it (i.e. it had an aftermarket or modified dial, crystal, band or clasp, or the seller seemed sketchy). The ones that would have worked for me were way over my budget. I wanted an all factory original Rolex with JUST a modified bezel because that is what my wife wants, but in the end I found this very difficult to find for my price range, so I opted to go for a 100% original Rolex, and modify the bezel myself with an aftermarket one purchased separately. This way, I know exactly what was done to the watch, and I think it is more cost effective (genuine Rolex's seem to go for cheaper than ones with modified bezels and dials, as I think people tend to up the price for the unsuspecting or unaware due to the "flashy diamonds".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181935087343...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So my question now that I have bought this (haven't paid yet) is are there any red flags regarding it's authenticity, or it being 100% factory original? I compared it to other pics of the exact model with the exact dial, and it all looks right to me, but I am no expert. The seller states in the ad clearly that it is a 100% original watch, and authenticity are guaranteed, and I stated as a stipulation in my offer that it was only if it was 100% original, so if it doesn't look right to you guys, I am not paying. Also, I offered $2700, how did I do on price? As soon as I get the okay from you that it is 100% original and genuine Rolex as advertised, I will pay for it.

A side question is, does anyone know of a good source to get aftermarket SS (or white gold) diamond bezels for the 26mm Datejust? I have looked on Ebay, and they are all very reasonably priced, but I question their quality. There were a couple other sites I found, but they seem very overpriced ($2000+ for 1.00ct). I know you get what you pay for, and I want a bezel with a good cut and clarity, but I also would like to stay between 1.20 and 2.00ct if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 December 2015, 12:36 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

The experts will be along shortly to authenticate the watch, but something to consider is that the seller's feedback is almost entirely low value pawnshop items. He doesn't appear to be a luxury watch guy.

For a TRF value comparison, a highly trusted seller on this forum recently sold a very similar watch for about the same money.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ighlight=79174

You might consider a PM to a TRF trusted seller with your requirements so that they can source you a watch with no risk of fraud.
Old 10 December 2015, 01:29 PM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My advice is to complete the sale you committed to fulfill and use the return policy the seller stated in listing if anything isn't authentic. You can have it authenticated where you live. We would have no way to tell you if it had an aftermarket tube/crown or crystal or internals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2015, 03:28 PM   #12
hunterp27
Banned

OP, why are you looking on eBay when this forum has trusted sellers that can get you exactly what you are looking for? this watch is rough and its over priced.