The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
jspollmnn
"TRF" Member

Tudor Prince Oysterdate Ref 7996/1 Authentication

I believe I made a 'rookie' mistake yesterday as I didn't properly investigated a Tudor Prince Oystedate before I pulled the trigger and as a result I am afraid I might end up with a 'franken'.

The watch is described as a 1960's watch and the description on the back suggest so as well. However the serial number between the lugs is 7712** which according to some online serial number database for Tudor was only produced in the 1970's.

See below some pictures and I am curious about the opinion of the experts as I might need to do a refund on this one. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (78.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg $_57 (3).jpg (47.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg $_57 (4)_2.jpg (52.2 KB, 119 views)
jspollmnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:09 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

It does look franken to me but looks like authentic parts. Only a guess without seeing the inside of the case back or the movement. The database that has been compiled puts the case into the early 70s. That dial and hands are from the early 60s in style.
Late 1968 is when Tudor changed their logo from the small printed rose to the applied shield on the dial. You may have a replaced dial and hands or a complete dial, hands and movement dropped into that case from an earlier 7966.
If the price was right, then wear it. You cant polish that case, its gold capped. It looks like some of the cap has already come off of the lugs. Like I said, it all depends on the price. In its current condition that I can see, its about a $350-450 watch. More if it has its matching gold plated bracelet. No extra value if its just the head or came on a leather strap. If you paid more than that, I would send it back and find a nicer example.