The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 February 2017, 01:47 PM   #31
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Welcome to the forum. Cool story.
Based on that one pic, your case appears to be in good condition. Sounds like your movement is keeping good time.
I restored a 1002 from 1967 for my wife. Found a good case and movement but did not like the dial so sourced a silver stick period correct dial for a couple hundred and a bracelet for $275. Had my watch maker put it all together. It's been her daily beater for years.
Not hard to find dials/parts for these and they're priced reasonable.
Good luck
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:59 PM   #32
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
offrdmania, I am gratified by your comment. I have many 34mm, both Rolex and Tudor. My favorite, and it was harder to get than my red Sub, is my 6556 (fully functional, if you get my drift). The market here on the East Coast is much softer for 34mm than 36mm: perhaps you guys on the West Coast have larger, er, confidence, and don't subscribe to "bigger is better". You should see the size of the SUVs in Jersey, with added oversize rims. It's great for those of us with modest, shall we say, proportions, who enjoy a smaller, tighter wristwatch. But hereabouts, much harder to flip.
Yep, no Snookie out here on the left coast. The big wheel craze phased out at least 10 years ago. It started out here and must have made it to the east coast late.
Old 14 February 2017, 07:30 PM   #33
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

And on the other side? a 4 digit number? 1003?
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 11:28 PM   #34
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

Yes R.W.T. - I could see those four numbers with the bracelet on.
1003 on 12 o'clock edge
984723 on 6 o'clock edge
RRRolex1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 11:31 PM   #35
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

more precisely

REGISTERED DESIGN
STAINLESS STEEL
Old 15 February 2017, 12:00 AM   #36
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

I do have a few questions about how to search for a replacement dial, assuming I go that route (I probably won't be able to resist). That said, that I am in no rush (this watch knows how to wait...). I like the hunt, so I will just wait for the perfect opportunity. In the meantime I did just order a leather band.

I looked at the link from "offrdmania" (thanks), and it mentions the 1003 category of watch. It also mentions "Rolex Cal. 1520,1530,1560 automatic movement."

My question - what should I be sure to look for before I even consider a new dial on auction (or off the internet period)? 1003 for sure. 34 mm. stainless steel.

What other features of the dial are critical? It would be great to find something from the same vintage (1963ish), and that would be my preference for sure, but is that necessary? Any other details to make sure of?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 February 2017, 12:47 AM   #37
offrdmania

It will be really tough finding a 63 dial. The markers will be similar shape to the hands you have. You already have the correct dial markers. And if you do find one that early, most likely it wont look new. They usually have oxidation or pitting on the markers, dial color is usually faded and or pitted/bubbled. If you want an early 60s dial then I would suggest either searching high and low or just sending your dial out to be redone professionally if you want something sooner than later.
Old 15 February 2017, 06:05 AM   #38
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Patience in this game is the virtue...if you aren't selling the watch...then it will just be a skin itch...but just wait...the dial will come.

:-)

Don't be desperate...and don't get in a hurry and spend money buying 4 dials that aren't right...keep your eyes peeled on the sites and on the bay...in 63 that dial should probably say SWISS and not necessarily T SWISS T and some kind of arrowhead markers or heart markers or something like that is more appropriate for the hands....markers like are on the dial you have now.
Old 15 February 2017, 01:50 PM   #39
offrdmania

I can almost bet that the dial on your watch is original since the markers look correct. Most likely someone tried cleaning the dial at some point and ended up wiping away all of the printed text and printed minute markers. Then they tried to have it redone on the cheap by a not so professional dial restorer. Michael Young in Hong Kong does dial restoration and he does an amazing job. It would cost you about $150 to have it restored and it will look factory fresh. Check out this link to his web page. He is also a member on here.

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/en...al-restoration
Old 15 February 2017, 02:24 PM   #40
RRRolex1969
"TRF" Member

I found a watch online that looks identical to mine, but it has a perfect dial. It sold at some auction house back in 2011. If you do a google image search for "Gentleman's Rolex 1963" there it is! The serial# is even close. On this particular watch the tiny ticks are only between the markers (not at their terminations), and there is luminous material at the ends of the markers. With the ticks restricted to the space between markers, there would be room for the "T Swiss T" at 6 o'clock. Maybe Mr. Young could also add the luminous bits to the ends of the markers.

Thank you for the information and link. Professional restoration does seem like a reasonable and effective way to get this watch tuned up and looking good! And I am guessing that dial restoration on this particular watch would be on the easier end of the restoration spectrum (it isn't too fancy).

I presume that I would send the entire watch (not just the dial).

Anyway, I appreciate it!
Old 15 February 2017, 02:55 PM   #41
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Well sure it's the original plate...but it's horribly refinished.

Wait until the watch needs service. The dial is not hurting anything.

When you need the watch serviced send it one of us who can have the dial redone fairly properly for you while it is off of the movement and then reinstall it in the watch once the overhaul on the movement is done.

The thing is....a service is going to cost x dollars. A dial swap takes time...people will have varying price points for that work but it IS work on TOP Of the cost of the refinish. You have to uncase the movement and really at that point you oughta be changing all the gaskets if they haven't been done in a while. Those cost money...then you need to water test the case empty to make sure it's not gonna leak and then recase the watch and then re test it. It's a good hour or more's work to do all of that. If it's gonna sit around the shop for a couple of weeks to a month while the dial gets done and all of that...it's a service provided...and then the hassle of getting a good example of what the dial should look like and making sure they know what to do and packing it up and sending it off and fronting the funds to do the work....all of this takes time...and knowledge.

So really you're gonna throw bad money after good and pay twice for things that really could be done within the normal service, one time.

That's my take on it. Other people may feel differently.
Old 15 February 2017, 04:32 PM   #42
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
China anywhere on a Rolex no good. Look at crown on dial, off center as well. TJ special IMHO.
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote