The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2017, 10:28 AM   #31
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I don't think you guys talking about the same place
Similar to the zoo. No touching or feeding.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:31 AM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I always try to get to Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles. The best southern food.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

nyet - unsafe at any speed...
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atla...tion/464951222

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 10:43 AM   #33
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinM3 View Post
To those fellow Atlanta TRF residents,

If you had 1 full free day for sightseeing or other activities in the downtown area, what would be recommended?
Also can I get a few good restaurant recs as well?
Thanks!
Where are you staying?

If you like seafood, I've had a great meal at Lure (Midtown). Down by CNN is Legal Seafood, my wife likes Oceanaire (Midtown).

Other options:
Two Urban Licks
Rathbun's Steak
Ticonderoga Club

LOTS to choose from!
Old 31 January 2017, 11:05 AM   #34
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Here is your go to list: This is, as requested, a 1 day downtown type list.

Touristy stuff-World of Coke and the GA Aquarium are pretty good. I like Fernbank/Imax even better depending on what's current. Fernbank has a new Giant screen 4k theater opening this Saturday.

Food-I like Kevin Rathbun Steak over Bones but both are fantastic. Note-do NOT confuse Kevin Rathbun Steak with Rathbun's. They are very near each other (1/2 mile) and Uber drivers will usually drop you at Rathbun's by mistake if you do not specify.
Another great Steak option if you want to enjoy an old club/cougar vibe kind of thing - Hal's on Old Ivy. It's been my favorite for a long time.
Kevin Rathbun Steak is downtown and Bones/Hal's are both in Buckhead.
If you want fine dining - Bacchanalia and Restaurant Eugene are your can't miss places.
If you are interested in BBQ - Fatt Matt's Rib Shack. Anyone who instead suggests Fox Bros simply does not know of what they speak.
Burgers - The Vortex. Good lord - Skip the Varsity. That sh!t isn't edible.

And most important of all - skip the Clermont Lounge. That place is an absolute disaster. Better alternative - The Cheetah. It's like Rolex v a $10 plastic watch bought at a drugstore while you were stupid drunk.

If you want more suggestions, let me know!
Fat Matt's has better ribs but anything else there is almost inedible. Fox Bros has much better sides and everything else.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:37 AM   #35
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I am appalled at all of the hate being thrown at The Varsity! I freaking love it. I don't eat it all that often, because I like being fit and I do not want to die of a heartache, but it is delicious! I have to visit a 2-3 times per year. Also, I think all ATL tourist should have a chili dog from The Varsity.
Bleh. Utterly disgusting.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 07:38 AM   #36
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Fat Matt's has better ribs but anything else there is almost inedible. Fox Bros has much better sides and everything else.
Agree on the sides, but don't forget the exponentially better atmosphere and vibe at Fatt Matt's. Especially if a band is playing.
Old 1 February 2017, 07:50 AM   #37
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the 1-day go-around.
If I were to go to Kevin Rathbun for a steak dinner, what would you recommend for lunch to keep things somewhat light. For me it would be tough to enjoy both ribs /burger and steak in a single day.
OK, here are a few lighter options for Lunch.

There is a great place on Piedmont called Poor Calvin's. It's an Asian/Fusion, Southern hybrid type place. Really great!
http://www.poorcalvins.com/Pages/Menu.aspx?DeptID=6462

The best pizza in Atlanta is just W of Downtown right off the GaTech campus. Antico pizza. I'm from NY and DiFarra is my favorite and I can attest to Antico being fantastic pizza.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...antico_atl.pdf

If Asian or Pizza doesn't work, there is a great chicken place right next to Antico called Gio's. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...2/gios_atl.pdf

Looking forward to hearing about your choices.
Old 1 February 2017, 09:00 AM   #38
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There is a great place on Piedmont called Poor Calvin's. It's an Asian/Fusion, Southern hybrid type place. Really great!

The best pizza in Atlanta is just W of Downtown right off the GaTech campus. Antico pizza. I'm from NY and DiFarra is my favorite and I can attest to Antico being fantastic pizza.

If Asian or Pizza doesn't work, there is a great chicken place right next to Antico called Gio's. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...2/gios_atl.pdf

Thanks for the recs!
I'm from NY as well so pizza sounds good.

I won't be visiting until early April, but would like to plan ahead of time.
As far as hotels, been thinking about the Westin unless you may be able to recommend a different hotel.
It's a quick 1-day trip before I head over to the Masters.
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 09:01 AM   #39
psv
"TRF" Member

Fatt Matt's Rib Shack.

Case closed.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 11:22 AM   #40
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
I will second Antico. Went there when wife's cousins were graduating from Ga Tech. Very casual, laid back atmosphere with good food.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 11:50 AM   #41
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Check out The Greater Good BBQ - they have 3 locations around Atlanta.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2017, 12:43 PM   #42
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best pizza? This place will be too far for the O.P., but Campania in Alpharetta is phenomenal.
Old 4 February 2017, 06:59 AM   #43
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:

I really like Gios, sometimes when I'm with a group we get Pizza from Antico and bring it into Gios and share. Same owner..kind of an Italian restaurant complex. Cement floors, family style seating.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 03:46 AM   #44
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Best pizza? This place will be too far for the O.P., but Campania in Alpharetta is phenomenal.
I've been, it's very good. I would put it third in Atlanta, behind Antico (#1) and Varuni Napoli (#2). Plus, who the f*ck wants to go out to suburban hell for pizza. I only went after a round of golf. Certainly not worth a special trip just for the pizza.
Same goes with steak. Pampas is ok but no where near Kevn Rathbun Steak, Hal's or Bones, plus it's way the hell out in the burbs. Not worth the trip. Good substitute if you must live way out there.
Old 7 February 2017, 03:51 AM   #45
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recs!
I'm from NY as well so pizza sounds good.

I won't be visiting until early April, but would like to plan ahead of time.
As far as hotels, been thinking about the Westin unless you may be able to recommend a different hotel.
It's a quick 1-day trip before I head over to the Masters.
You mean the Westin downtown? The big tube? It's OK but the Ritz attached to the 191 building within a block or so, is so much nicer. If it's only for 1 night, splurge on the Ritz.
The Westin does have the revolving restaurant/bar at the top, but you can take an elevator to see that.

Have fun at The Masters. I've been a bunch and it is one of the only sporting events that truly lives up to the hype! Maybe I will see you there!
Old 7 February 2017, 04:39 AM   #46
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Hey John,

Thanks for the feedback.
OK the Ritz -Carlton it is!
Actually, just looked at rates and this is more than reasonable...I guess I'm just used to the rates here in the NE.

The Masters is a first for me, so extremely excited for this!!!
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 05:39 PM   #47
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, RUN THE GD BALL!!!!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:59 AM   #48
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Kevin Rathbun Steak....Dry Aged Steak for 2.

Simply incredible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4011.jpg (46.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 18 February 2017, 01:42 PM   #49
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is your go to list: This is, as requested, a 1 day downtown type list.

Touristy stuff-World of Coke and the GA Aquarium are pretty good. I like Fernbank/Imax even better depending on what's current. Fernbank has a new Giant screen 4k theater opening this Saturday.

Food-I like Kevin Rathbun Steak over Bones but both are fantastic. Note-do NOT confuse Kevin Rathbun Steak with Rathbun's. They are very near each other (1/2 mile) and Uber drivers will usually drop you at Rathbun's by mistake if you do not specify.
Another great Steak option if you want to enjoy an old club/cougar vibe kind of thing - Hal's on Old Ivy. It's been my favorite for a long time.
Kevin Rathbun Steak is downtown and Bones/Hal's are both in Buckhead.
If you want fine dining - Bacchanalia and Restaurant Eugene are your can't miss places.
If you are interested in BBQ - Fatt Matt's Rib Shack. Anyone who instead suggests Fox Bros simply does not know of what they speak.
Burgers - The Vortex. Good lord - Skip the Varsity. That sh!t isn't edible.

And most important of all - skip the Clermont Lounge. That place is an absolute disaster. Better alternative - The Cheetah. It's like Rolex v a $10 plastic watch bought at a drugstore while you were stupid drunk.

If you want more suggestions, let me know!
I agree with pretty much everything written here. I, however, can not skip the Varsity. I realize there are better burgers. The Vortex is probably 10x better (to name just one). But the Varsity is just part of my DNA now. Whoever I've been traveling for a long time I have to have it on the way home from the airport. It's like a big "welcome home" hug that will probably take a year or two off my life. I think it's important to experience just because it's an Atlanta pillar more than it is a culinary experience. Same goes for Waffle House.

Also, my favorite hotel in Atlanta is the St Regis in Buckhead. It's not really downtown but Buckhead is a destination and is easily walkable.
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote