The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 October 2005, 09:00 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Smoking.

I see yesterday that our esteemed Government has made another utter boll#ck-up of banning smoking in public places. (Exemption for private clubs and food-less pubs with ‘sealed’ rooms – I ask you WTF)

Now I'm not really bothered personally about this issue, but what really deposits my bladder in a pressure cooker, is the manner in which the whole issue has been thoroughly and entirely fudged. I supposed we should not be surprised as it’s typical of a pusillanimous administration that is more interested in votes than doing something truly decisive.

This is nothing more than a compromise made from a desire not to estrange its 'core working class vote', rather than a bold and resolute step forward. The latter being, of course, a concept totally alien to Blair, Brown and their lair of lambs.Its tough balancing act, Blair has to do on this one.On the one hand are the Nannies with their "health" arguments.
On the other is Uncle Gordon worrying about the potential loss of tax revenue.At a average of £20 to £30 a week for every smoker if they decided to give up Mr Brown trying to balance the books, would without a shadow of a doubt be well and truly feked!!!.

Most people take pleasure in smoking cigarettes,the result being,that the residues of your pleasure, make my clothes stink terrible.
Now I take pleasure imbibing a little alcohol in it's various guises, so if I come and pee all over you smokers,and make your clothes stink, would you accept that as being the residues of my pleasure.?WYF.
Without doubt smoking kills,passive smoking is very dangerous especially
for young children,the burden on our NHS on smoking related disease
must be enormous,so if we have any member smokers, make Padi a happy man and give them up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Atomic

Smoking has to be about the most repulsive thing someone can do (and get away with) in public. We have banned smoking in public places in Ontario, which includes bus stops (so the twits stand just off transit property and smoke, and they're usually upwind, giving us all a nice wiff of your second hand smoke).

As a life-long endurance athlete, it makes me sick, and I come from a family where my dad smoked five packs a day, mum smoked 2 packs a day and both siblings smoked. But when my daughter came along, I really got my radar turned on.

To smoke in the presence of children, particularly babies or toddlers is plain ignorant. I've berated a few people in public for knowingly smoking near children. The thing that really puts a snap in my shorts is where people smoke. On the fronts steps or just in front of public buildings. So when you walk outside, you get a punch in the face of second hand smoke. Similarly when you're entering the building.

But the downside to fewer smokers is just this past week one of the big tobacco companies decided to pull its processing operations out of Avalon's neighborhood and send them down to Mexico. Cheaper labour, they say. And Tobacco farmers are dwindling here too... but smoking costs tax payers millions and millions annually for health care costs.
Old 26 October 2005, 10:32 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Very very true John and if I must say a excellent reply.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 October 2005, 02:10 AM   #4
----

Well John, you are right - the plant not too far from me is closing. No doubt this will have a huge impact on the workers in the plant - many of them seasonal, plus the local industry that supports the plant, and many of the growers in this area. However, I have little sympathy for any of them. The signs have been loud and clear for many years that smoking is becoming unacceptable to most people, and the numbers of smokers is thankfully going down. If the people in the industry didn't see it coming and move on to other things, or at least have a plan for when the bad news hit, they don't get any support from me.

I also grew up in a house where both parents smoked. My father died when I was 17 due to heart disease (he had several heart attacks in a row before passing) and my mother died in early 2004 of lung cancer that had spread to her bones. In both cases smoking was a major or primary factor in their deaths. I have never smoked (the legal kind of smokes anyway ) and absolutely can't stand the smell of it. My brother and his wife both smoke, and in fact do not believe that smoking casues lung cancer. It is amazing how people can delude themselves if they can't break their habit.......

Regarding the costs to health care, in my view those who smoke should be forced to pay for at least some of their own health care costs, and not have that burden on our public system.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:20 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Again a excellent post Al and do agree with you,think now smoking
is becoming more antisocial.But what surprises me is the amount of
teenage girls smoking,a lot more than teenage boys in the UK.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 October 2005, 02:25 AM   #6
Atomic

Good points Al. As some may know, my aunt was recently diagnosed with lung cancer (life long smoker) and her mother, my grandmother died of lung cancer (also a life long smoker and worked in a restaurant her entire career, amidst smokers).

There was a landmark case last year where a woman in Ottawa proved that she contracted lung cancer from second-hand smoke (Al and RogerF have likely seen her in local TV commercials). I can't remember whom she sued. There was also a landmark provincial decision by the courts in British Columbia that tobacco companies can now be sued (in BC) to cover cancer related, health care costs.

The thing that amazes me is when I see young people smoking. I think 'jesus, give your head a shake... you have more information about how bad it is at your age (and more ways to access it) than any other generation. Why be so foolish???' It makes me mad.

It also makes me mad when tobacco companies whine about the fact they can't advertise, particularly on F1 cars, for example. Boo-freakin'-hoo... Go pedal your death sticks elsewhere... and sadly they do, to third-world countries where the populations don't know any better.

Last edited by Atomic; 27 October 2005 at 03:54 AM..
Old 27 October 2005, 03:51 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
My dad was a regular smoker but, in all fairness, he smoked just around 15~20 cigarettes a day. Still we just couldn't bear it and Nina and I would have to ask him to go out and smoke....not in the house. Mum backed us up to the hilt and we had our way!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 05:03 AM   #8
G Shearing

Mayor of my...

small town died recently of lung cancer due to smoking. He was an aggressive smoker and was mad when they banned smoking in the Legion bar.
All of his children smoke. I have friends who have permanent smoker's hacks and even if they have a cold they still have to have their drag.
I can remember in Scotland when you could hardly see the screen in a movie theatre because of the smoke. A major treat for me now is to go to a Vancouver Jazz bar and the air is clean. There used to be a guy who no longer loves jazz, who used to sit there, chain smoke, then light up a pipe and pollute further. Good riddance!
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 06:18 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Guys as you know, I have been in the process of fighting and quitting dipping snuff. It has been a long haul, and I still crave it, but it is needed to stop.

I think alot of the young kids do this to look cool, if they only knew.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 05:27 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Guys as you know, I have been in the process of fighting and quitting dipping snuff. It has been a long haul, and I still crave it, but it is needed to stop.

Well I salute you Daren for trying to give it up, if I remember your habit
is chewing tobacco yuk. And agree with the youngsters in
the UK more teenage girls- women smoke now than men.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 October 2005, 10:33 PM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman

I know what you're going through, Daren. I was a smoker for many years. I quit three times during my smoking years. First time was only for a short period, and then went back to it. I enjoyed a good cigarette after meals or with coffee. Second time I quit for 12 years. Thought I was over the craving so I had one. Then a month later I had another one. Then a week later another one. And soon I was back to buying them.

One reason I went back to smoking the third time was because we were going through a very difficult time in our law partnership. We had a very difficult partner who we finally decided had to go. It took us 10 months to get rid of him and during that time the tension in the office was palpable. So smoking became a calming outlet for me.

The only saving grace was that by the time I quit the first two times, I was up to 1+ pack per day. The third time I started smoking regularly, I kept it to about 1 1/2 pack per week (I felt so righteous ).

Then about 3 1/2 years ago I stopped again. I know now that I can never have another cigarette again. Because if I do, I will be right back to buying again.

I am actually finally at the point where I don't miss them much. Sometimes when I'm sitting with a cup of coffee, especially after a good meal, I think, mmm, a ciggie would go really well right now. But then the urge passes and I'm over it.

My name is Ed, and I'm a cigaholic.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 10:46 PM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I know what you're going through, Daren. I was a smoker for many years. I quit three times during my smoking years. First time was only for a short period, and then went back to it. I enjoyed a good cigarette after meals or with coffee. Second time I quit for 12 years. Thought I was over the craving so I had one. Then a month later I had another one. Then a week later another one. And soon I was back to buying them.

One reason I went back to smoking the third time was because we were going through a very difficult time in our law partnership. We had a very difficult partner who we finally decided had to go. It took us 10 months to get rid of him and during that time the tension in the office was palpable. So smoking became a calming outlet for me.

The only saving grace was that by the time I quit the first two times, I was up to 1+ pack per day. The third time I started smoking regularly, I kept it to about 1 1/2 pack per week (I felt so righteous ).

Then about 3 1/2 years ago I stopped again. I know now that I can never have another cigarette again. Because if I do, I will be right back to buying again.

I am actually finally at the point where I don't miss them much. Sometimes when I'm sitting with a cup of coffee, especially after a good meal, I think, mmm, a ciggie would go really well right now. But then the urge passes and I'm over it.

My name is Ed, and I'm a cigaholic.
Great story Ed. Congrats. I know how tough it is to quit. My dad quit cold turkey when he was smoking 5 packs a day, and also in the process of shedding about 80lbs. As you can imagine, he was a peach to be around during this period.

So here's a suggestion... after a good meal, look down at your wrist and admire that other addiction we all share.
Old 27 October 2005, 10:50 PM   #13
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
So here's a suggestion... after a good meal, look down at your wrist and admire that other addiction we all share.
I do that before, during and after meals, John.

As for the weight loss, that was one of the benes of quitting. Since I couldn't have a cigarette after meals, there was no reason to eat anymore. I ate less, and lost weight.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 27 October 2005, 10:53 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Great story Ed, and thanks guys.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2005, 11:14 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Well at one time I was buying between 60 -80 cigarettes a day.Then in
1972 I was in work,having my afternoon break.It was budget day, we were
all listening to the radio budget speech.Cigarettes went up from 2 shillings
for a pack of 20 to 2 shillings and sixpence (10p -12.50p).I gave away
my packet of cigarettes away, and sold my lighter for 50p to my workmate.
And have never smoked a cigarette since,if I can do it Daren so can you
but you must have the will power to stop.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 27 October 2005, 11:27 PM   #16
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Smoking..........

................never have and never will. Well maybe in a box when I'm dead.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2005, 03:15 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Well Adrian I salute you, and there cannot be many from our generation who never smoked,my wife Carol has never
smoked.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 October 2005, 03:16 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Ditto and agreed, Adrian!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 28 October 2005, 03:18 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Great story Ed. Congrats. I know how tough it is to quit. My dad quit cold turkey when he was smoking 5 packs a day, and also in the process of shedding about 80lbs. As you can imagine, he was a peach to be around during this period.

Or, hey Ed, just think about me...and I assure you all urges to 'smoke' will fly out the window!!!

Old 28 October 2005, 03:26 AM   #20
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Or, hey Ed, just think about me...and I assure you all urges to 'smoke' will fly out the window!!!
JJ, when I think about you, the only urge I have is to crawl under the covers and hide until the thought goes away.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 28 October 2005, 03:32 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
JJ, when I think about you, the only urge I have is to crawl under the covers and hide until the thought goes away.
Now you do realise why I bestowed upon you the status of TOSSER No.1