The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 February 2017, 05:24 PM   #31
Star Ferry
Banned

Sounds like he avoids Rolex because he associates it with consumerism -- he doesn't want to be a typical professional with an E-Class sedan, McMansion and Rolex (not that any of those things are necessarily bad)

IMO, hopefully he wears his Breitling because he likes it. If his only intent was to differentiate himself from Rolex wearers, he could have saved a few grand and grabbed a G-Shock
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 10:13 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting conversation. I would have given it some validity if he was wearing a G-Shock or Seiko but he just changed up and bought a different luxury brand. The car is also a no go, really? Trucks can be dressed out and cost more than a MB or BMW. To me I would have said, I buy what I like and to each his own.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 11:20 PM   #33
gav329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I've seen my dentist wear a blue TT Submariner and Rolex Sea Dweller. I never attributed it to him being overpaid, I attributed it to him being successful.

True however my dentist drives a 911 so that's where my fees go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 11:41 PM   #34
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I used to love Breitling in the early 2000's when I was in my 20's. Thank God I came to my senses. My friend bought a Super Avenger years ago and now he can't get rid of it because the resale is so bad.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:34 AM   #35
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Sounds like he avoids Rolex because he associates it with consumerism -- he doesn't want to be a typical professional with an E-Class sedan, McMansion and Rolex (not that any of those things are necessarily bad)

IMO, hopefully he wears his Breitling because he likes it. If his only intent was to differentiate himself from Rolex wearers, he could have saved a few grand and grabbed a G-Shock
I think this is close to the truth. He probably liked the Breitling and bought it then justified the purchase in his mind by contrasting it with his perceptions about Rolex.

I own 2 Breitlings and they could not be more different. One was made for the military in the 80's and could pass for a G-Shock. The other is a Bentley behemoth that looks like it should be on the wrist of an NFL lineman. What I do like about Breitling is that they are more adventurous with their styles. Due to their heavy marketing campaign many younger people know about Breitling and consider them as high as a Rolex.

Having said that my GMT has been on my wrist for nearly a year. I've had 2 people I know notice it but no one else has said a word. It's very different from the flash of my Bentley that catches everyone's eye. I don't really care if anyone notices my Rolex. It's for me.
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:46 AM   #36
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have had Breitling and vintage Wakmann, they have been serviced more than worn.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:03 AM   #37
ugazag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
To each his own. Since there are lot of shoe threads, I will use this analogy. It may not be spot on, but it is in the ball park. A Rolex is like a pair of Allen Edmonds - generally staid and will last and last and last without going out of style. Breitling is like Bruno Magli - a great shoe, but more contemporary. Is one shoe better than the other? No, its a matter of personal taste. As long as I don't feel any pain at the dentist, I'm good even if he is sporting a Hello Kitty watch.
ugazag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:36 AM   #38
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
I'd find another dentist.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 12:50 PM   #39
evogel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glashutte Original
No comparison between the two. Rolex is using higher grade stainless (904) vs. Breitling (316). And you can't honestly tell me the movements are even close to comparable. Breitling is a very nice entry level product, not in the same league as Rolex or other upper tier pieces

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
evogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:32 PM   #40
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

I love my Breitling Blackbird. It is actually more subtle than my DJII or obviously the DD40. Breitling movements are all COSC certified. Great movements in my opinion. I also wouldn't consider Rolex "upper-tier" in the grand scheme of things nor Breitling entry level....

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:33 PM   #41
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
I'd find another dentist.
Ditto....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:33 PM   #42
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evogel View Post
No comparison between the two. Rolex is using higher grade stainless (904) vs. Breitling (316). And you can't honestly tell me the movements are even close to comparable. Breitling is a very nice entry level product, not in the same league as Rolex or other upper tier pieces

I prefer Rolex, but the difference in steel is barely a differentiator. What kind of steel do you think Patek uses??? Breitling also has some in-house movements now, too.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 01:06 AM   #43
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
My Breitling is probably the most noticeable watch I own. I don't wear it very much, but have had many comments on it; perhaps because of its size. It was given to me for winning a bike race in Switzerland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (43.1 KB, 163 views)
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:27 AM   #44
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
My Breitling is probably the most noticeable watch I own. I don't wear it very much, but have had many comments on it; perhaps because of its size. It was given to me for winning a bike race in Switzerland.
That's a fake, Breitling never put that crown on the Bentley series.
jnelson3097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:59 AM   #45
BristolCavendish
Banned

Having had an opportunity to glance at the online Breitling catalog, I found the Transocean chronograph line very attractive in a 'low-key' sort of way. Didn't particularly care for the 'stock' wire-mesh bracelet (but that can be easily remedied with an alternative).

One thing that did stand out. In terms of pricing, why is Breitling's MSRP listed so high while the actual selling price is roughly 50% of that? IMO, this tends to cheapen the overall perspective of the brand (as countless lower-priced makes often do the same as a 'come-on').
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:34 AM   #46
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Maybe ask this question on the Breitling forum and see what they say over there 😂

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:45 AM   #47
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I own both and both are outstanding. I think Breitling is everything as good as Rolex. They are just completely different. One thing is for sure Rolex maintains its value way better. But then they do better at that compared to everybody except maybe Patek. If you really do love watches I would think you would want to try many different brands. IMHO

Also the F150 4x4 I own costs a 1/3 more then my Mercedes-Benz.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:58 AM   #48
evogel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glashutte Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I prefer Rolex, but the difference in steel is barely a differentiator. What kind of steel do you think Patek uses??? Breitling also has some in-house movements now, too.

Now, yes they do since Swatch Group cut back on selling movements to competitors. The movement is far superior to what Breitling is now starting to make

evogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 10:32 AM   #49
andybcrx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
Breitling more sporty and flashy vs rolex more classic look
Agree with this mostly. Rolex mostly in the 40mm diameter with the subs and sds you see out there. The Breitlings I've seen out in wild are relatively larger at 42/44mm with flashy bezels.

One Breitlings I've strongly considered because it "flies under the radar" and looks good in semi formal and casual is the 1461. This is where I would agree Breitling is low profile.

The avenger blackbird is pretty awesome departure from the usual Breitling as well.

andybcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 11:22 AM   #50
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evogel View Post
Now, yes they do since Swatch Group cut back on selling movements to competitors. The movement is far superior to what Breitling is now starting to make

While I like Rolex movements and appreciate the free sprung balance, balance bridge, Breguet overcoil, etc., calling it far superior is a stretch, especially considering the price differential. Even calling Rolex three-hand movements far superior to a properly sorted ETA is a stretch.

p.s. I have no interest in Breitling designs, FWIW.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 11:46 AM   #51
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybcrx View Post

The avenger blackbird is pretty awesome departure from the usual Breitling as well.

I agree - not all Breitlings are flashy. I have the Blackbird and Aerospace - both subtle IMHO.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 10:15 PM   #52
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
I'm surprised your dentist wears his watch to work. As a fellow dentist, I never do. I couldn't stand the thought of my nice watch being so close to bacteria, blood, and all the rest!
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 10:28 PM   #53
OTX
"TRF" Member

I think many people buy what they like regardless of wealth. Take for example the guy in the pic. He is shiekh Mohammad bin Zayed al nahyan. He is the crown prince of the UAE and the actual ruler of the country. Their investment authority is the richest in the world and valued at over 1 trillion dollars. His country has almost 10 % of the worlds oil and as many of you know, it's a dictatorship.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say this guy is easily worth more than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined. I was watching him on YouTube the other day attend the world governments meeting in Dubai and being a watch nut, I paused to see what kind of watch he is wearing. This guy could easily buy a new Patek every morning, throw it out at the end of the day and keep doing that for the rest of his life and he won't even feel it.

As you can see he is wearing a Breitling Evo night mission. He probably likes the watch as I have seen him wear it quite often. To get back to the discussion, I think many buy what they like regardless of how wealthy the are. Being super rich doesn't mean you automatically have to buy a Patek or whatever. Buy what you like!!!

OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:54 AM   #54
Almostlucid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwalker4 View Post
I'm surprised your dentist wears his watch to work. As a fellow dentist, I never do. I couldn't stand the thought of my nice watch being so close to bacteria, blood, and all the rest!

Well said, talk about taking your work home with you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almostlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 12:55 AM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It's a personal choice. Rolex is more well known so it gets chosen by the masses by default. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
Since I own them all, I find Breitling build quality comparable to my Rolex. They are impeccably built from every angle. Both Rolex and Breitling have a long horological history so neither can be dismissed as a inferior company over the other.
When I think robust chronograph, I think Breitling. (I did briefly own a Daytona)
Breitling chronomats are built like a dive watch, have a date function, incredible lume and AR, and look every bit as good on their factory dive strap as they do their pilots bracelet. That's a tough combination to beat in a chronograph. I also find the pilots bracelet extremely well made and the most comfortable design out of any company.
That's why I give them the nod over the Daytona for my needs. You can't go wrong with either. Both have exceptional high quality, it's really all about the look and features you want.

My Breitling LE Blackbird 44mm:

This pilot bracelet is incredibly comfortable and well built.
Old 18 February 2017, 02:16 AM   #56
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Breitling and low profile are not to be used in the same sentence.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:36 AM   #57
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
That's a fake, Breitling never put that crown on the Bentley series.
Crown is from Avenger series, it was a replacement from a watchmaker after having issues with the original.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:25 AM   #58
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I prefer Rolex to Breitling. One of my two Breitling Chronomats is 21 years old. It still looks great despite being beat up during my college years

I wish Rolex used 316 steel so they wouldn't be so susceptible to scratches.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:48 AM   #59
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Get a new dentist~
Old 18 February 2017, 05:54 AM   #60
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It's a personal choice. Rolex is more well known so it gets chosen by the masses by default. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
Since I own them all, I find Breitling build quality comparable to my Rolex. They are impeccably built from every angle. Both Rolex and Breitling have a long horological history so neither can be dismissed as a inferior company over the other.
When I think robust chronograph, I think Breitling. (I did briefly own a Daytona)
Breitling chronomats are built like a dive watch, have a date function, incredible lume and AR, and look every bit as good on their factory dive strap as they do their pilots bracelet. That's a tough combination to beat in a chronograph. I also find the pilots bracelet extremely well made and the most comfortable design out of any company.
That's why I give them the nod over the Daytona for my needs. You can't go wrong with either. Both have exceptional high quality, it's really all about the look and features you want.

My Breitling LE Blackbird 44mm:

This pilot bracelet is incredibly comfortable and well built.

That's a nice-looking chrono Sir