The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2017, 03:20 AM   #31
Goin2drt
Banned

Welcome and be patient.

I will answer your questions and only one mans opinion.

1. Be patient, ask lots of questions, do a lot of research, be leery and that "great deal" - totally applies to watches if it is too good to be true, it is.
2. Trusted sellers are great and there are a few here. You may or may not get a factory warranty. You can buy with confidence and it is a pretty sterile transaction and you get what you get. There are gray market dealers (Jomashop etc) that are also very trusted. You will get "their" warranty and no factory warranty. Again buy with confidence and many have been around for a very long time so if you needed warranty service, no problem. Again they are a sterile transaction. The above you will get the best discount traditionally. Now go to AD and you pay for the experience and factory warranty. It is an experience usually that you will remember forever.

I personally have bought from all three; trusted seller (Takuya and sohail), gray market (Jomashop and authenticwatches) as well as AD's Rolex (Ben Bridge and Rolex themselves), Tourrneau, Omega. They are all great experiences and served a purpose.

Having said all that nothing comes close to buying a couple Rollie's in Grand Cayman from Karen at Kirk Freeport. I gladly paid more than any of the above and my wife and I will remember that experience for a lifetime.

Good luck on your journey, it only ends when you are 6ft under.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 11:55 AM   #32
xwalker4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
Just an update for you all: had a great visit with my father to Orr's Jewelers in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh today. Also, I've decided to wear this tonight, my grandfather got it in 1972. He wore it everyday to work in a slag mine and really really beat it up. I believe the crystal and hands are replacement. Still, looks beautiful to me!

image.jpg
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 10:13 AM   #33
xwalker4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
Here's an update on my first watch purchase:

I've been to the two closest ADs as well as the Omega Boutique. The Omega Boutique set the standard for their commitment to helping me, educating me, and finding the right piece for me. The big drawback is that they are far from competitive price wise.

As for the two ADs, I've had mixed results. At one, my contact is, well, very hard to contact. My first email to her took a week to receive a reply. My second email has gone unanswered. At the other AD, I was told the cost of the watch (Rolex 114060) I was looking at, in cash, would not be revealed to me unless I had the cash there ready to buy on the spot. Is that normal? I was very polite and just wanted to get an idea of financial commitment I was in for.

The combination of these experiences has made me look much harder at buying from a trusted seller on these forums, because I know the communication and care are top notch with the very best sellers.

Just wanted to give you all my thoughts. Thanks in advance for any comments or further tips!
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote