The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 April 2018, 08:38 PM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Handled a snowflake today

Went into the Seiko AD to check out the selection, but when I got there only a handful on display. When I asked if they had a snowflake in stock, they first told me no, but after a short discussion, they came out of the back with one and said they just got it in today! All within 5 minutes. Of course this would happen with a snowflake and not a 5711

Very fine piece itself, but my only wish was that it came in SS instead of Ti, but I'm probably the minority on this. Passed on a great piece as I just didn't believe it would get the wrist time from me it deserved. There were a couple other guys around me that saw me decline the snowflake. Hopefully one of them is now enjoying it.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 10:10 PM   #2
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Im with you on SS, it feels a bit too light on Ti, Ti can be good on big divers but im not sold on using it on watches this size.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 10:29 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Went into the Seiko AD to check out the selection, but when I got there only a handful on display. When I asked if they had a snowflake in stock, they first told me no, but after a short discussion, they came out of the back with one and said they just got it in today! All within 5 minutes. Of course this would happen with a snowflake and not a 5711

Very fine piece itself, but my only wish was that it came in SS instead of Ti, but I'm probably the minority on this. Passed on a great piece as I just didn't believe it would get the wrist time from me it deserved. There were a couple other guys around me that saw me decline the snowflake. Hopefully one of them is now enjoying it.

Do you prefer heavier watches? There's a selection of Springdrive Grand Seikos that are in SS, but the dial isn't snowflake. My SBGA103 for example, comes in SS with a silvery dial.

The snowflake is iconic for the dial itself and also the finishing on Titanium, which is not an easy feat since Titanium by nature lacks shine.

Here's a great article from Hodinkee explaining about the Snowflake Springdrive.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...owflake-review
Old 1 April 2018, 11:35 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

You’re all missing the point of this watch... it’s meant to represent the snow as seen from outside the Shiojiri-based Studio’s windows.
As snowflakes are, by their nature, very light, then the tie-in with Titanium being used is obvious.
To pass on the watch because it’s not made from SS, could be seen as rather short-sighted, and depriving yourself of an otherwise enjoyable experience.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 11:43 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
You’re all missing the point of this watch... it’s meant to represent the snow as seen from outside the Shiojiri-based Studio’s windows.
As snowflakes are, by their nature, very light, then the tie-in with Titanium being used is obvious.
To pass on the watch because it’s not made from SS, could be seen as rather short-sighted, and depriving yourself of an otherwise enjoyable experience.
dang... i was holding out for one in Pt.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:19 AM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
You are totally right, but like Laflare I can't get used to the Ti feeling.
Old 2 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #7
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
dang... i was holding out for one in Pt.
That’ll be the SBGD001 (201 now) as per... https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=500638
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You are totally right, but like Laflare I can't get used to the Ti feeling.
It's even more pronounced when you go from something like a PM Rolex to this- I found the lightness to be amazing.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:02 PM   #9
bkdc
"TRF" Member

After wearing bright titanium, I would never go back to stainless steel if given an option. I own three Grand Seikos, and they are all made of titanium. I insist on it because they are sooooo much more comfortable for long term wear.

In addition, the titanium is FAR FAR FAR less prone to scratches and gouges. It is much harder than stainless steel although the brushed surfaces have less of a shine. I've banged my watches in ways that would surely have caused deep scratches on any stainless watch. Seiko does titanium well.
bkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I like the lightness of the Snowflake! I wish more watches are made that way. It is really comfortable on the wrist.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

The lightness makes it unique in my collection, one of the reasons why I chose the snowflake over the ss models.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sad to hear OP passed up that opportunity.

The snowflake is in my wish list. The qualities such as snowflake dial, Spring Drive movement, PR indicator and Titanium are what is driving this timepiece to be both iconic and unique.

I made a deposit of this timepiece last week and hope to collect one on Friday, if the original buyer that reserved the timepiece backs out. Otherwise I hope to get said piece by next month. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:43 AM   #13
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Love the SF...

Old 16 April 2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Sad to hear OP passed up that opportunity.

The snowflake is in my wish list. The qualities such as snowflake dial, Spring Drive movement, PR indicator and Titanium are what is driving this timepiece to be both iconic and unique.

I made a deposit of this timepiece last week and hope to collect one on Friday, if the original buyer that reserved the timepiece backs out. Otherwise I hope to get said piece by next month. Fingers crossed.

Got this today. Titanium bracelet is so light that I’m loving every second of it.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 01:32 AM   #15
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I haven’t had the chance to ty on the big brother but I love the baby snowflake. Been wearing it almost daily.

Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote