The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 June 2017, 03:13 PM   #1
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Omega 2017 Release Preview - 5th Ave Boutique

Hey guys. After seeing the invite from the 5th Ave Omega Boutique over on that other forum, I raced over there after work to check out the new pieces that they had for temporary display. I've already paid for the 60th Anniversary Speedy, so I figured I may as well try it on.

While I was there I tried on the Speedmaster, the Railmaster, the white dial Racing Speedy, and the steel Apollo 17 Speedy.

First and foremost I was all about the Speedy, and it did not disappoint. For my 6.5" wrist, the size is absolutely perfect. The design of the end links on the bracelet help it hug my wrist even better. And as you would expect with a hesalite crystal, the watch is as light and comfortable as my classic 3570.50.

Next, the Railmaster. I agree with the assessment of Sensui, that the Railmaster is the real sleeper of the bunch. There is just something very awesome about this watch. It is so clean, such a classic design and perfectly proportioned. I am fighting the temptation to add this one to my collection as well. It is very comfortable and fits perfectly, and is slightly heavier than the Speedy, due to the sapphire crystal.

As I am also intrigued by the new Racing Speedys, I asked to check out the white dialed version, which luckily they had on hand. I really loved this one, too. It's the same size as the xSOTM models, albeit slightly slimmer. They're large, to be sure, but I've always felt that they work on my wrist somehow, and this new one was no exception. I love the clean white dial and sharp contrast of the black sub dials and ceramic bezel.

Lastly, I checked out the stainless steel Apollo 17 Speedmaster. This piece was honestly not even on my radar, but man it is beautiful! Same size and case as the classic Moonwatch, so no surprises there, but the dark blue dial and gold accents are something that must be seen in person!

It was a fantastic afternoon for a watch geek. I also want to add that the hospitality of the 5th Ave Omega Boutique is top notch. The manager is always very generous with his time and is very knowledgeable, not only about Omega but other brands as well. He spent a lot of time showing me watches and answering my numerous questions. A real pro.

Now I just have to patiently wait for my Speedy to arrive, and after having tried it on now it's even harder to be patient!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:24 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the write-up and pictures. Very much looking forward to getting my 60th Speedmaster.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the pics and review. This really has been quite the year for Omega on their releases. It seems like there has been something for every type of fan of their brand. I have the white dial Speedy Racing on order with my AD and am anxiously awaiting arrival.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:44 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Great write up and pics Dcheeta. Sounds like a great time !

The trilogy really is something in person...Omega definitely got more right than wrongs those year. The speedy and railmaster looked great on your wrist.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:31 PM   #5
cousie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Skydweller

Do you know the reference number of this watch? Stunning!!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
cousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:45 PM   #6
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
What great insights Dave! Thank you for sharing!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:23 PM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Love the trilogy pieces thanks for posting. No love for sea Master?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:37 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice review and photographs. I have owned numerous Omega's over the years but currently do not. The new Racing Speedy in black with orange has my attention. I will check them out at my AD as they show up.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:36 PM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousie View Post

Do you know the reference number of this watch? Stunning!!!
As pictured, with the leather strap, it is: 329.33.44.51.04.001

On steel bracelet, it is: 329.30.44.51.04.001
Old 29 June 2017, 11:38 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Love the trilogy pieces thanks for posting. No love for sea Master?
I like the Seamaster as well, although admittedly it is my least favorite of the trilogy. However, it was unavailable for viewing because it was away for a photo shoot at the time.
Old 30 June 2017, 12:06 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

They are stunning, thanks for the pictures!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:37 AM   #12
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Hey guys. After seeing the invite from the 5th Ave Omega Boutique over on that other forum, I raced over there after work to check out the new pieces that they had for temporary display. I've already paid for the 60th Anniversary Speedy, so I figured I may as well try it on.

Now I just have to patiently wait for my Speedy to arrive, and after having tried it on now it's even harder to be patient!
Thanks again Dave - I really like these 2 shots of the Speedmaster. They really highlight the side profile.

I really didn't even consider the Railmaster since I'm serious contemplating the Explorer I as my next acquisition. But, after seeing your wrist shot, I'm not so sure now. WOW!

It's a shame they didn't have the Seamaster available for viewing. I'm sure that is another beauty in the flesh!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 05:16 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice photos.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:50 PM   #14
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
Really great pics! Sounds like a fun day - thank you!
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 03:03 PM   #15
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Thanks again Dave - I really like these 2 shots of the Speedmaster. They really highlight the side profile.

I really didn't even consider the Railmaster since I'm serious contemplating the Explorer I as my next acquisition. But, after seeing your wrist shot, I'm not so sure now. WOW!

It's a shame they didn't have the Seamaster available for viewing. I'm sure that is another beauty in the flesh!
Another thing to consider about the Railmaster and Seamaster is that you're getting a fully modern movement, METAS certified master chronometer and all that goes along with that. The Speedy just has the same 1861 that every standard moonwatch has inside. Personally, that doesn't matter too much to me. After all, the 1861 is deemed space-worthy by NASA. Just something that's worth thinking about.
Old 1 July 2017, 04:30 AM   #16
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Great thread. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 05:03 AM   #17
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As pictured, with the leather strap, it is: 329.33.44.51.04.001

On steel bracelet, it is: 329.30.44.51.04.001
Great post, Dave. Thanks. On a side note, regarding the racing speedy you say you're ok with the size and we both have similar wrist sizes, but judging by that pic I'd say it looks huge. Maybe it's because you had a closer shot. Anyway the 60th anniversary Speedy is really beautiful and I hope you receive yours soon. Congrats in advance.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 07:58 AM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Great post, Dave. Thanks. On a side note, regarding the racing speedy you say you're ok with the size and we both have similar wrist sizes, but judging by that pic I'd say it looks huge. Maybe it's because you had a closer shot. Anyway the 60th anniversary Speedy is really beautiful and I hope you receive yours soon. Congrats in advance.
I agree, it looks monstrous in that pic. In real life it's much less so. Even the 60th Anniv Speedy looks too big in these pics, but it's really not at all. I wish I had taken a pic from a distance to give a better impression. I think the shape and shortness of the lugs makes these Speedies look less large then their specs would lead you to believe.

That being said, I do not own any of the 44mm Speedmasters. Although not offensively large, my sweet spot is more in the 40mm range.
Old 1 July 2017, 08:22 AM   #19
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree, it looks monstrous in that pic. In real life it's much less so. Even the 60th Anniv Speedy looks too big in these pics, but it's really not at all. I wish I had taken a pic from a distance to give a better impression. I think the shape and shortness of the lugs makes these Speedies look less large then their specs would lead you to believe.

That being said, I do not own any of the 44mm Speedmasters. Although not offensively large, my sweet spot is more in the 40mm range.
I agree with this. I have a similar sized wrist (well, even smaller, more like 6.375") and while I own the Grey Side of the Moon and 216570 on Rolex's side....I don't think I would buy these watches again for myself knowing what I do now after wearing/trying so many different watches. The new Racing Speedies are awesome and like all Omega large pieces, their lug to lug measurements and the way the case curves mitigates a lot of that large look....but bottom line, I still agree with DCheeta/Dave that 36-40mm is the size for me in general....the Speedy from farther away on a small wrist (mine):

sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 09:22 AM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Large watches are a strong temptation. Omega in particular because they make fantastic watches in the 42-45mm range. They're very substantial and the feeling on the wrist is always great. I used to own both 2200.50 and 2208.50 and they made me feel like a king. Time passed and now I look at pics wearing them and I realize that I looked like a clown. Nowadays I firmly believe that 38-40mm is my sweet spot too. No doubt.
Old 1 July 2017, 03:40 PM   #21
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I agree with this. I have a similar sized wrist (well, even smaller, more like 6.375") and while I own the Grey Side of the Moon and 216570 on Rolex's side....I don't think I would buy these watches again for myself knowing what I do now after wearing/trying so many different watches. The new Racing Speedies are awesome and like all Omega large pieces, their lug to lug measurements and the way the case curves mitigates a lot of that large look....but bottom line, I still agree with DCheeta/Dave that 36-40mm is the size for me in general....the Speedy from farther away on a small wrist (mine):
Quote:
Large watches are a strong temptation. Omega in particular because they make fantastic watches in the 42-45mm range. They're very substantial and the feeling on the wrist is always great. I used to own both 2200.50 and 2208.50 and they made me feel like a king. Time passed and now I look at pics wearing them and I realize that I looked like a clown. Nowadays I firmly believe that 38-40mm is my sweet spot too. No doubt.
I dug up this pic of me trying on the DSOTM, which is the same size as the Speedmaster Racing. It's not too huge (and I did feel like a king with it on) but as with the both of you, I will stick to <= 40mm for now.

Old 1 July 2017, 09:09 PM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dug up this pic of me trying on the DSOTM, which is the same size as the Speedmaster Racing. It's not too huge (and I did feel like a king with it on) but as with the both of you, I will stick to <= 40mm for now.
I remember that pic, Dave. It's one of the best (if not the best) pic I've seen of the DSOTM. It looks great on you and I think it has something to do with the mix of black case and strap, black clothes, nice lighting, and the watch is firm on your wrist and it's not hanging a single bit like it would do if it had a bracelet. That pic shows that your wrist is larger than mine. I'm more on John's side or even smaller. I bought back my 2208.50 last year (and it was returned a week later) and you can see it looks big and in real life it's really huge on my wrist. It was nice to own both of them, my wife loved both on me, but I won't do it again and I'm sure of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (256.8 KB, 1111 views)
Old 1 July 2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Magwitch
Banned

Thank you for sharing that! I think there are only 2 Omega AD's here and one knows next to nothing, they're a jewelry store that sells watches, the other is somewhat better but downtown, and I HATE going there, especially during road construction season.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 11:41 PM   #24
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Quote:
I couldn't agree more with 38 - 40mm as the sweet spot. I've also tried on the GSOTM and the DSOTM:

There were actually not too bad (size wise) and were very tempting. But, with a wrist size of 6.5", I'm looking forward to my Trilogy Speedmaster at 38.6mm!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #25
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with 38 - 40mm as the sweet spot. I've also tried on the GSOTM and the DSOTM:

There were actually not too bad (size wise) and were very tempting. But, with a wrist size of 6.5", I'm looking forward to my Trilogy Speedmaster at 38.6mm!
It will be perfect on your wrist.
Old 2 July 2017, 12:44 PM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with 38 - 40mm as the sweet spot. I've also tried on the GSOTM and the DSOTM... There were actually not too bad (size wise) and were very tempting. But, with a wrist size of 6.5", I'm looking forward to my Trilogy Speedmaster at 38.6mm!
Quote:
It will be perfect on your wrist.
I agree, the approx. 39mm size will be perfect for us.
Old 2 July 2017, 12:48 PM   #27
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember that pic, Dave. It's one of the best (if not the best) pic I've seen of the DSOTM. It looks great on you and I think it has something to do with the mix of black case and strap, black clothes, nice lighting, and the watch is firm on your wrist and it's not hanging a single bit like it would do if it had a bracelet. That pic shows that your wrist is larger than mine. I'm more on John's side or even smaller. I bought back my 2208.50 last year (and it was returned a week later) and you can see it looks big and in real life it's really huge on my wrist. It was nice to own both of them, my wife loved both on me, but I won't do it again and I'm sure of that.
You're absolutely right Flavio, the blackness of the DSOTM makes a big difference. The same size watch in steel/white looks quite a bit larger, as proven by the above pic of the Speedmaster Racing.
Old 3 July 2017, 04:01 AM   #28
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right Flavio, the blackness of the DSOTM makes a big difference. The same size watch in steel/white looks quite a bit larger, as proven by the above pic of the Speedmaster Racing.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:51 AM   #29
Richmor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and the pics.
Only wish that I could get to see the Trilogy watches in person.
Your wrist shots look great.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:53 AM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Where are these things already
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote