The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2009, 03:54 AM   #1
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
In house movement VS ETA???

Hello folks,
I really wanna pull the trigger on the PAM177 but my only deterrent is that if it is really justified paying so much on an ETA movement afterall its the heart! Coming from a Rolex background I strongly feel for an in house movment! And the PAM in house calibre costs a bomb! So im torn between my heart and mind! Heart says go and get it! the best looking watch out there! Mind says not worth paying so much on an ETA heart!

rajurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 04:11 AM   #2
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
In-house v ETA, the oldest argument going and one i feel means nothing in this day and age, ETA movements have been on the go for half a century and in todays market they are as accurate as any in-house movement given the proper regulation and build. The only difference is that most of the ETA movements aren't as pretty as some of the in-house movements that have pearlage and differing colours due to material choice, but the bottom line is that an ETA can be as accurate, robust and long lasting as anything Rolex or the likes can put out.

The 177 is a beauty as well, forget about all the ETA talk, if you buy it then it'll hold its value well and keep good time, it should be COSC certified and keep to within +/- 5 seconds or thereabouts

And i'm saying this as someone who has an in-house PAM, and had several Rolexes, when it comes down to it the basic mechanics of an ETA movement and any other is pretty much the same, it's just how they're put together and the finishing touches that differ, don't get hung up in it too much, personally i think the likes of JLC make the nicest movements in this type of price range, but you buy one of them at MRSP and you'll lose 30-40% walking out the door, at least with Panerai you might lose 10%, and for the likes of a 177 you should be able to pick one up at a bit cheaper.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 04:51 AM   #3
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

For the most part, you are paying for design/style with a Panerai. There's NOTHING else like it on the market.
Old 20 April 2009, 04:55 AM   #4
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Thanx Ryan! Going with my heart!
Old 20 April 2009, 05:46 AM   #5
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Thanx Ryan! Going with my heart!

The 177 is a beauty, if i was in the market to get my first panerai it would be a 111 or a 177

Old 20 April 2009, 06:14 AM   #6
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
You come from a Rolex background ?? Well,stand in line then !!! A few of us around !!

ETA vs in-house ....Hmmmmm Much ado about nothing,if you ask me !! Have a look at the modded Unitas movement in the 177.Its a darn pretty thing !!

Another thing...accuracy.My 111 and 104 are extremely accurate !!

I say, dont that let bother you !! If you like the Ti Luminor ... go for it !!!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 06:16 AM   #7
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

PS : Rolex head and Panerai heart ?? You have it wrong !!....

Panerai talks to the soul !!!!
Old 20 April 2009, 06:19 AM   #8
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I believe that a good movement is a good movement, regardless of the source, and ETA makes them as solid as anyone. and they are good enough for Franck Muller and Ulysse Nardin.

About the long history of using outsourced movements:

http://www.timezone.com/library/cjrml/cjrml0030

btw, I'm not really that into Panerai's, and even I think the 177 looks good!
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 06:26 AM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantagmt View Post
I believe that a good movement is a good movement, regardless of the source, and ETA makes them as solid as anyone. and they are good enough for Franck Muller and Ulysse Nardin.

About the long history of using outsourced movements:

http://www.timezone.com/library/cjrml/cjrml0030

btw, I'm not really that into Panerai's, and even I think the 177 looks good!
Youre not really that into Panerai yet !! Stick around !!!
Old 20 April 2009, 07:44 AM   #10
aavaav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello folks,
I really wanna pull the trigger on the PAM177 but my only deterrent is that if it is really justified paying so much on an ETA movement afterall its the heart! Coming from a Rolex background I strongly feel for an in house movment! And the PAM in house calibre costs a bomb! So im torn between my heart and mind! Heart says go and get it! the best looking watch out there! Mind says not worth paying so much on an ETA heart!

I am a new convert to Panerai (from Rolex)and I had the same reservations, but so far so good as far as accuracy. I got a PAM250 hopefully I can upload a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4180376.jpg (32.0 KB, 632 views)
aavaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:53 AM   #11
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
PS : Rolex head and Panerai heart ?? You have it wrong !!....

Panerai talks to the soul !!!!
yea look what you guys did to me! im soooo messed up!

Quote:
Youre not really that into Panerai yet !! Stick around !!!
Old 20 April 2009, 08:05 AM   #12
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1086972568961_ingrandito.jpg (17.8 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg 1086972570609_vista_1.jpg (25.5 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg 1086972571253_vista_3.jpg (28.1 KB, 630 views)
Old 20 April 2009, 08:06 AM   #13
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
An age-old, easy quandry to unravel. If you love it, buy it and enjoy it!
Old 20 April 2009, 08:18 AM   #14
argee1977
"TRF" Member

For me, the watch buying is an easy process, i see a watch i like the look off, and i look into it, then if i get good answers to my questions i buy it.

With Rolex, i love the Submariners and GMTs, all in i've had 7 Rolexes and i love the plain look of the sub, the movement in it, as with most rolexes is a robust movement that's built to take some punishment and keep ticking, it's not pretty and it's not complicated, it just works. It's the same with ETA, they're not pretty, they're not complicated, they just do what they're meant too, work without fault.

A lot of people feel that it cheapens a brand as well by using an ETA, but movements follow a similar path, they all have a purpose and are built to suit, a Rolex movement and an ETA movement will do the exact same job, the difference is that Rolex have spent decades building up their in-house facility, others can't really do that due to limited productions, it's just not viable, so they use the best that's available, and modify it to suit their needs.

Old 20 April 2009, 08:38 AM   #15
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Ryan since ETAs are mass produced and they have their expertise how do we justify the costs! Like in a Rolex we know a lot of money is being spent on R&D but in PAMs I agree justifying the high cost for their in house movement. I am no ways doubting an ETA movement for its accuracy, even my RADO has it. Its just paying a too much for the design in the case of a 177... again its my opinion! dont bash me up guys!
Old 20 April 2009, 08:46 AM   #16
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I had a Swatch with an ETA movement. I paid 75 bucks for it about 17 years ago...

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 09:13 AM   #17
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Ryan since ETAs are mass produced and they have their expertise how do we justify the costs! Like in a Rolex we know a lot of money is being spent on R&D but in PAMs I agree justifying the high cost for their in house movement. I am no ways doubting an ETA movement for its accuracy, even my RADO has it. Its just paying a too much for the design in the case of a 177... again its my opinion! dont bash me up guys!
When buying something with a new in-house, the costs obviously go towards R&D, and when buying something with an ETA heart you are paying (partly) for decades of reliable service, a wide knowledge base, and the fact that many watchmakers will be able to service the movement for decades. Obviously many watchmakers will learn to service the new PAM movements, but the number will be small next to number who can work on an ETA.

Also, when buying Paneria, or Omega, or Breitling, etc, you get a higher grade of eta than you do with the sub-luxury brands. That includes finer materials, springs, and decoration.

I really doubt that chronometer-grade ETAs are that inexpensive these days. I could be wrong tho.
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 11:12 AM   #18
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. What matters is you like the watch and bought it for that reason. In house vs ETA only matters if it's a direct comparison for me (eg. Sub in-house vs. Sub ETA).
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 11:41 AM   #19
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
citizen, orient and seiko are all in-house.
how much do you think rolex spend to produce an in-house, you pay just because you like it.
i don't care, i have pam and rolex, and never think about who made the movt.
Old 20 April 2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
You come from a Rolex background ?? Well,stand in line then !!! A few of us around !!

ETA vs in-house ....Hmmmmm Much ado about nothing,if you ask me !! Have a look at the modded Unitas movement in the 177.Its a darn pretty thing !!

Another thing...accuracy.My 111 and 104 are extremely accurate !!

I say, dont that let bother you !! If you like the Ti Luminor ... go for it !!!
I'm like you Guys...Come from Rolex background. Now, even I erased Daytona from my lists...:chuck le:
Go for 177, Buddy!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Trurolexer
Banned

Before Panerai bugs bitten me so hard, I'm a Rolex collectors.
Many Rolex I flipped...GMT 1675, Subdate, Sub LV, Expy II, Milgauss (only in one year!!!).
I never satisfied with my Rolex, but I don't say I will keep my Pannies forever, but now my soul more calm. And I think I will keep my Pannies in long term.

P.S : The only Panerai I flipped is PAM 112 H for bought Expy II. I'm so regret it!!! Until now...
Old 20 April 2009, 09:29 PM   #22
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
P.S : The only Panerai I flipped is PAM 112 H for bought Expy II. I'm so regret it!!! Until now...[/QUOTE]

how could you do that TR, you hurt my 112 feeling's.
Old 20 April 2009, 09:56 PM   #23
beaujarle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yea look what you guys did to me! im soooo messed up!

You should visit the boutique in Dubai Mall...then you'll be more messed-up . Been there a few times & makes me just want to whip the credit card out!!!
GMT II K Serial, Submariner TT LB Milgauss GV and PAM 111 - FLIPPED!!
Oris TT3 Day/Date, Seamaster 2254.50
beaujarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuisquash View Post
P.S : The only Panerai I flipped is PAM 112 H for bought Expy II. I'm so regret it!!! Until now...
how could you do that TR, you hurt my 112 feeling's.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...:thu mbsup:
Old 21 April 2009, 12:26 AM   #25
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
An age-old, easy quandry to unravel. If you love it, buy it and enjoy it!
Many good words of advice here, but above sums up my thoughts as well!

Unlike a lot of these guys here, I still LOVE my Rolex and Panerai both! When I want to marvel at the engineering of the internals of the watch I grab my sub or GMT. I actually love listening to the tic-a-tic-a-tic-a-tic-a (each second). I know I can do ANYTHING to this watch and it will work wonderfully.

Now, the PAM is for the sporty, military look. The ultra tool time watch. Huge markers, no minute markers (very quick readability), simplistic beauty! The 6497 movement has been worked over by Panerai with nice decorations and quality rework of parts needed. While it is "just" as 6497, it is a perfectly working 6497. They put a lot of time in care in this movement to make it work wonderfully. The accuracy is very good on mine, operating well within COSC specs. Also, if you ever need anyone to work on it, anyone can! No watchmaker worth their salt couldn't regulate a 6497.

Finish and craftsmanship, Panerai = Rolex
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 02:09 AM   #26
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be honest, Rolex have used the same movements for a generation, the designs are in some areas nearly 50 years old with slight tweaks every so often (quick set, etc). The actual cost per movement for Rolex these days i doubt is more than an ETA that is modified by the others.

This isn't saying that Rolex are cheap, it's just a case of all watches being overpriced when you reach this price level, for me there isn't several thousands worth of materials or design in any of the Rolexes, Panerais, Audemars, etc, etc, but we pay the money because we like the watch, and with brands like Rolex and Panerai we know we can get the money back when we sell as they don't depreciate as fast as other makes.

Old 21 April 2009, 09:05 AM   #27
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaujarle View Post
You should visit the boutique in Dubai Mall...then you'll be more messed-up . Been there a few times & makes me just want to whip the credit card out!!!
You bet thats where i first tried the 177! The prices are just wrong there... Im planing to order it from london or so! We should check it out together some time!

Old 21 April 2009, 01:28 PM   #28
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
For the most part, you are paying for design/style with a Panerai. There's NOTHING else like it on the market.

What about Anonimo? Similar designs and common history.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 02:00 PM   #29
jeangtd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
U-Boat, Anonimo..........
Sub C bluessy (random) IWC big pilot
jeangtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 02:07 PM   #30
jeangtd
"TRF" Member

MMM you buy a 5000 dollar watch with a caliber that can be found on a 500 dollar watch. I just cant cope with that, that's why I never bought a panny, had the money for one a month ago and still went for a JLC, but now seriously looking at the new 312, love the styling, exclusive to panny caliber, it's going to be a great addition to my collection, Im not crazy about the size, but i guess i need one big watch in my box, and with an in house movement, i know no 500 dollar watch has it.
Sub C bluessy (random) IWC big pilot
jeangtd is offline   Reply With Quote