The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2022, 12:15 AM   #1
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Hiking chest rig?

Does anyone use or has anyone used a chest rig for hiking/Search and Rescue (SAR)? Any recommendations? Thoughts on their usefulness.

Quick story as to why I’m looking. I joined a search party the other day. Ended up in the woods for nine hours, 8 of which it was completely dark and the temperature dropped 30 degrees from when we started. As this is primarily the DEC Rangers job I was not entirely prepared. Although it’s not my agency’s primary function we help out often enough. Usually not for that duration but often enough that I want to be better prepared for it. I already put together a good SAR backpack but want a chest pack as well.

What I’m looking for is something that can hold cell phone/satellite phones, extra batteries, extra hat and gloves, compass and a few other things you want to access or store on the go. Stuff you need quickly but when you’re with a K9 team and they are tracking you can’t stop, drop the pack, and fish for gear. It also can’t be a hip pack because that’ll get in the way of my duty belt. It’s also important it fits comfortably with a backpack.

I’ve seen a bunch of rigs for binoculars but not sure that is what I’m looking for as most of those are just one big pouch. Others seem really slim with limited space for a granola bar and not much else. The ones I’ve seen that actually look like they might work are sold as fishing rigs. A few I’ve found are reasonably priced around $150-200 but that’s way more than I want to pay for something that’s not what I need. None of the rigs I found are sold locally where I can see them before ordering.

To be clear this is for searching for lost hikers. This is not for manhunts. I learned all the lessons I need for that during Dannemora. That gear I have covered and do not want to discuss here as that could lead to off limit topics.

So that’s the need and the reason for it and would like some first hand experience of any that work well and hold up to abuse. Hopefully there’s some active woodsmen/women/person that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Josh
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 12:46 AM   #2
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have seen a few people using Osprey’s chest pack hiking here in Colorado. Mainly for camera gear and snacks. I did not like the fact that it is a separate harness rather than integrated into the chest straps of the main pack. Also, they eliminated the vent control over the shell or insulating layer both at the chest and pit zips.

Your needs are different than mine but I wonder if two simple strap lash bags would meet your needs.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 12:57 AM   #3
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I have seen a few people using Osprey’s chest pack hiking here in Colorado. Mainly for camera gear and snacks. I did not like the fact that it is a separate harness rather than integrated into the chest straps of the main pack. Also, they eliminated the vent control over the shell or insulating layer both at the chest and pit zips.

Your needs are different than mine but I wonder if two simple strap lash bags would meet your needs.
Thank you. I will look into those as an option as well.
Old 8 August 2022, 01:19 AM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
5.11 makes a number of harnesses and small packs to fit on their molle plate carriers. I’ve found that many backpack straps have molle webbing in just the right spot to attach these small packs.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 02:21 AM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I too, belong to a volunteer search and rescue group, finding lost hikers in the local mountains and deserts. I am military trained and OCD about preparation and having the right equipment. I tried a chest pack, but eventually ended up carrying a full camelback. I felt better having every and anything I might need, three or six liters of water, emergency shelter, first aid kit, GPS/PLB, extra clothing. I never leave home without it. It’s called the Francetta.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:14 AM   #6
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I too, belong to a volunteer search and rescue group, finding lost hikers in the local mountains and deserts. I am military trained and OCD about preparation and having the right equipment. I tried a chest pack, but eventually ended up carrying a full camelback. I felt better having every and anything I might need, three or six liters of water, emergency shelter, first aid kit, GPS/PLB, extra clothing. I never leave home without it. It’s called the Francetta.
Im with this mindset, Ill accept the extra weight knowing I have everything I need!!

https://www.nrs.com/rapid-rescuer-pf...g_product_2149
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:36 AM   #7
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
I use this for camera equipment. While not a critical SAR mission, I don't like to stop and drop a backpack.

https://www.fhfgear.com/products/FHC...iABEgIwMvD_BwE
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:40 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Plenty of options for a front loaded SAR vest. Puts what you need in front of you for easy/ready access without having to shrug off a backpack, or try to carry everything separately.
Old 8 August 2022, 03:41 AM   #9
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

I tried the chest pack thing in my side-gig, which involves getting out of a car and running, and can say this - the more shit you pack on your chest, the more annoying it becomes.

Check out www.atlas46.com

My go-to ended up being: https://www.amazon.com/Covert-Escape...893637&sr=8-40

But my 'loadout' has been trimmed to the absolute bare essentials.

There's also www.setwear.com, but most of their stuff is for use on belts, and is pretty dialed for bare minimum radios and whatnot.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:52 AM   #10
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
I tried the chest pack thing in my side-gig, which involves getting out of a car and running, and can say this - the more shit you pack on your chest, the more annoying it becomes.
I can definitely see that becoming a problem. The hazard 4 looks interesting Thank you.
Old 8 August 2022, 05:25 AM   #11
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Here is what I use, whenever I am out in the wilderness regardless of how long I PLAN on being there, because it is what happens that you do NOT plan for that is important. If we are searching for a lost hiker or if I am doing a day hike in the mountains (I do about every weekend) I like to be prepared. It does look big, but rides very well, and can hold either three or six liters of water.

https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Fran...s%2C143&sr=8-1
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 06:43 AM   #12
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Check out Zpacks gear Josh. https://zpacks.com/collections/storage Very high quality and ultra lightweight. Between their front rigs and shoulder strap bags I’m certain it will serve your needs.
Old 8 August 2022, 08:07 AM   #13
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Check out Zpacks gear Josh. https://zpacks.com/collections/storage Very high quality and ultra lightweight. Between their front rigs and shoulder strap bags I’m certain it will serve your needs.
Thank you.
Old 8 August 2022, 01:05 PM   #14
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I've used a chest rig from Hillpeoplegear.com for many years. During my LE time, I used it to carry my phone and "other items" we can't discuss here during my daily runs and other physical activities like lawn work etc. I particularly like it because it won't bounce when I run. They have a variety of sizes, depending on what all you plan to stuff in it. They aren't cheap, but they are high quality and will last a very long time. I've lost track, but I'd guess mine is 15 years old now. They also offer LE / veterans discount.

Here is a link https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1 ... I know some are leery to click on links, just go to the webpage name I mentioned and search for Kit Bags.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 06:05 PM   #15
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I've used a chest rig from Hillpeoplegear.com for many years. During my LE time, I used it to carry my phone and "other items" we can't discuss here during my daily runs and other physical activities like lawn work etc. I particularly like it because it won't bounce when I run. They have a variety of sizes, depending on what all you plan to stuff in it. They aren't cheap, but they are high quality and will last a very long time. I've lost track, but I'd guess mine is 15 years old now. They also offer LE / veterans discount.

Here is a link https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1 ... I know some are leery to click on links, just go to the webpage name I mentioned and search for Kit Bags.
Thank you Wade. I have no concerns with clicking a link that you’ve provided. This is a company I came across during my research and I appreciate reading your review. As far as the question in my OP I was actually thinking the SAR full kit bag might fit my needs but if I went a different direction I was still going to get one of their running kit bags. As it solves a few problems you’ve alluded to in regards to running.

As far as their SAR kit goes it is one of the products I wish I could see in person prior to ordering. I wasn’t sure it would fit everything I wanted to put in there but might solve the problem Dustin mentioned of over stuffing. I have a problem of alway stuffing ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag. Maybe I need something to self regulate as I don’t want my chest rig the same size as my ruck.