The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 August 2022, 06:25 PM   #91
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Charlie Munger who’s a pretty smart and wise old man say’s just because you ran through a dynamite factory with an open torch and didn’t blow yourself up to kingdom come doesn’t mean it was a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true
Old 8 August 2022, 06:26 PM   #92
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Just before COVID, I was in London for several days. I spent most of them wandering (walking) around the city. When I visit a foreign city that’s what I like to do, just wander and take in the atmosphere. Did I look like a tourist? Yeah, probably, with my slowly checking out stores, shops and generally looking around, but I don’t think I stood out in the crowd too much. I wore short sleeves and my Polar EX II 42, a fairly recognizable Rolex for sure. Maybe I look really tough or something, because no one ever approached or asked about my watch, I never felt threatened in any way. For all I know, I was blatantly walking through the worst part of the city. The exact same experience when I walked around Dublin and Glasgow. I did the exact same thing in Mexico City and Bogota, Guatemala City and Belize.

What is the point? Yes, there are people robbed of their Rolex in cities everywhere in the world, there are also thousands upon thousands, millions in fact, that are not. Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings, and live your life not fearing what COULD happen.
Come walk around the streets of Detroit stroll the streets the back allies.
Old 8 August 2022, 06:27 PM   #93
karleone
"TRF" Member

For all the tough guys very comfortable wearing their expensive watches short sleeves and exposed to everyone: when locals warn you it’s not safe and people are getting hurt for their watches but you prefer to use your own judgement based on a week-end somewhere when nothing happened to you. Don’t come and cry here if it may ever happen. Good luck!
Old 8 August 2022, 06:28 PM   #94
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I was in BCN this past summer (been there many times), I wore a G-shock. Not worth wearing anything else.
Very good advice!
Old 8 August 2022, 06:31 PM   #95
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I've lived in Europe for half my life, and still spend a number of weeks there every year, hence my Munich example. I'll be back in a couple of weeks, most likely wearing one of my APs. Shit can happen, but I expect the biggest risk will be joyriding my friend's Lambo on the Autobahn, not walking around some shopping district with my watch.
I really hope nothing will happen to you and you’ll enjoy the Lambo ride. What I am saying is that having an expensive watch on your wrist increases significantly the chances of getting beaten and hurt. If you are still comfortable with that of course enjoy your AP there! I have worn 24/7 Rolex for the past 13 years and I just stopped wearing them during summer in short sleeves. Just not worth it.
Old 8 August 2022, 07:09 PM   #96
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
I think that an average thief in the crowd and from a distance cannot identify the manufacturer of an SS watch. Therefore I think that maybe it's not the watch brand that attracts the attention of criminals, but the material of the case and/or the bracelet.

So if the watch has a fluted bezel, or if the case is YG in full or part, than that watch can be pierced from a distance, so the wearing can be more dangerous. It may even be one of the reasons why the price of the used SS versions mostly exceeds the price of the YG versions.
Old 8 August 2022, 07:33 PM   #97
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You've been warned, OP.
Old 8 August 2022, 07:35 PM   #98
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
No problems in Sicily. But who the hell knows what a 16570 except us?
Old 8 August 2022, 10:30 PM   #99
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
No problems in Sicily. But who the hell knows what a 16570 except us?
Watch thiefs know exactly what it is.
Old 8 August 2022, 10:46 PM   #100
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I think that an average thief in the crowd and from a distance cannot identify the manufacturer of an SS watch. Therefore I think that maybe it's not the watch brand that attracts the attention of criminals, but the material of the case and/or the bracelet.

So if the watch has a fluted bezel, or if the case is YG in full or part, than that watch can be pierced from a distance, so the wearing can be more dangerous. It may even be one of the reasons why the price of the used SS versions mostly exceeds the price of the YG versions.
Rolex bracelets are so distinctive even from a distance. I would think that’s the easiest tell from a distance even with stainless.
Old 8 August 2022, 10:53 PM   #101
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
For all the tough guys very comfortable wearing their expensive watches short sleeves and exposed to everyone: when locals warn you it’s not safe and people are getting hurt for their watches but you prefer to use your own judgement based on a week-end somewhere when nothing happened to you. Don’t come and cry here if it may ever happen. Good luck!
I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that they are a tough guy by choosing to travel with a luxury watch

To each their own. If you’re uncomfortable in your surroundings then by all means you shouldn’t be wearing any luxury item including a watch.
Old 8 August 2022, 10:59 PM   #102
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Paris and Barcelona are very crowded cities and definitely are areas where your stuff could be swiped. Certain areas will be more susceptible to crime than others
Old 8 August 2022, 11:03 PM   #103
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I was just in Ireland and wore my Deepsea everywhere. Nobody noticed it either.
There were also Zero shady characters so me being used to the US cities probably attributed to my feeling of comfort.
Old 8 August 2022, 11:25 PM   #104
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

Just curious, certain Rolex models stand proud (Ceramic and fluted bezels, funky color OPs). I wonder if conservative models like plain color OP, Explorer 1, Etc would garner any attention in these high crime areas. I’m not much of a traveler, but do enjoy the fact that I can wear an explorer 1 just about anywhere knowing that I’m the only person who is aware of the cool watch on my wrist.
Old 8 August 2022, 11:33 PM   #105
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
Rolex bracelets are so distinctive even from a distance.
You have eagle eyes For me the Seiko and Tudor Jubilee bracelets are so similar to Rolex that I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from a distance. Anyhow, this is also a good reason not to change my job to start a new career as a thief :)

More precisely: It would be useful to know which model's wearing increases the risks?
Old 8 August 2022, 11:40 PM   #106
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
Rolex bracelets are so distinctive even from a distance. I would think that’s the easiest tell from a distance even with stainless.
Many watch manufacturers make watches with oyster style bracelets so no way could tell by bracelet at distance was Rolex or any other brand.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 August 2022, 12:39 AM   #107
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Many watch manufacturers make watches with oyster style bracelets so no way could tell by bracelet at distance was Rolex or any other brand.

Certainly agree Peter - and many aftermarket bracelets are designed to mimic Oyster, too.

Sadly, in our world now, the snatchers may only make a choice to know someone down on the hope it’s a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 9 August 2022, 01:00 AM   #108
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I was just wondering this myself Peter. I looked at a Pagani gmt watch this morning to have for our upcoming trip to Europe but would that make someone spot it and attack us anyway? I was very capable of handling thugs years ago but now 70 and totally bad back, no need to call attention to myself, right??
Old 9 August 2022, 01:18 AM   #109
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

I was in Ireland for 8 days, wore my BLNR the whole time. Flight was screwed up so slept in airport on the way home. No one noticed except the AD inside Heathrow on the connection home.
Old 9 August 2022, 01:37 AM   #110
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
listen to the locals.
Good advice.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Old 9 August 2022, 02:11 AM   #111
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Ridiculous, I’ve walked all over both Barcelona and Paris with a yellow gold Sub over multiple trips and never had an issue. I also never had anyone say anything about my watch, let alone someone telling me not to wear it “in town.” Bizarre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 August 2022, 02:41 AM   #112
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I was in Paris and several cities in Switzerland a few weeks ago. Wore a Hulk most every day and my wife a two tone Daytona. Didn't really think twice about it even knowing some of the recent stories. I went to the mall in Atlanta over the weekend (which I hated to do). Made me nervous as hell wearing the same watch.
Old 9 August 2022, 02:44 AM   #113
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson13 View Post
I was in Paris and several cities in Switzerland a few weeks ago. Wore a Hulk most every day and my wife a two tone Daytona. Didn't really think twice about it even knowing some of the recent stories. I went to the mall in Atlanta over the weekend (which I hated to do). Made me nervous as hell wearing the same watch.
Wait, what, you wore a watch in Switzerland? I heard crime there is through the roof and unbearable as most families have now left on summer vacation to the mountains and lakes. Private bankers standing on the side of the main streets will hawk private vault services to you and leave you feeling unsafe. I'm also told the milk cows get very aggressive this time of year and have a penchant for PP and Rolex.
Old 9 August 2022, 02:54 AM   #114
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
listen to the locals.
Visited Cape Town for a long weekend recently .Wore my DSSD everywhere .
Its winter ...long sleeves

I am a local ,"the opposition" is a much more weary of locals .
Tourists are the soft targets .

Best advice: Listen to the locals .
Old 9 August 2022, 02:57 AM   #115
RogerOP
Banned

It’s a matter of risk.

Most people I assume would be scoped from a while away, but are never acted on. I can spot a Rolex and not even show that I have; one phone call and it could be gone (not saying I will, just saying what the thieves do)

I’m from London and most of the people saying they’ve been here are probably sticking to tourist hotspots. Londoners on this board know what I say you’ll think twice about wearing one in Brixton, Harlesden, ‘Ditch, etc. I grew up in the ends of North London and roughed it with the worst of them, but that doesn’t mean anything if a few man jumped out of a car, tooled up and wanted my watch; it’s not worth getting splashed for.

I was in Amsterdam earlier and a SA at Grand Seiko said keep safe and don’t expose yourself too much. I listened to him as I know the situation out there at a street level and not a tourist level. I worse my OP but it was February, so long sleeves anyway.

So in these situations I say do as you wish; but don’t endanger yourself/family to prove a point to anyone online.

It’s a watch. It’s not an integral part of your life. Wear whatever you want. But enjoy the holiday, a Rolex won’t remember the trip.
Old 9 August 2022, 03:04 AM   #116
-RolexMan-
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
This topic raises it head again and again. In the last 5years, the target of crime has changed considerably. I've been on the forum long enough to see all the replies:

"I have come back from xxxxxx with zero issues and felt safe"

or the best one:

"If I don't feel safe wearing my Rolex there, do I really want to risk taking my family?"

A tourist will always be a tourist, your experience may have been lucky and you had a great holiday wearing your Rolex (or any other Premium well known watch) and got home with good memories.

However, don't be dumb, just listen to the locals. They 'live' there 24/7, 365 days of the year.

I live in outskirts of London, around 40mins by underground to Central london. Where I live, I can wear a Rolex without issue as it's a very middle class area and thieves wont hang around to find a target.

When I go into Central London, if I do wear a Rolex, it will be covered with jacket or long sleeves. I never ever wear a premium watch with short sleeves for all to see. I've been asked numerous times for the time by strangers on the street... The usual way to closely check out your watch. The last time I was wearing a Casioak with a Metal Case mod, most probably thought it was a AP Usually, I will just get my mobile out and get the time to tell them from that. Really winds them up. At the end of the day, no one needs to ask the time anymore, everyone has a phone on them.

Friends in Holland and Belgium have told me to not wear Rolex when I visit now as its getting bad out there too.

My last trip to Barcelona in 2019 I wore a Omega SMP300 on rubber, then onto to Rotterdam for a wedding. My friends were surprised I didn't wear a Rolex but they said I made the correct choice to wear something low key.

At the end of the day, until it happens to you, you can be blasé about it. I go on holiday to have fun. Why risk it over a damn watch.

Great post!
Old 9 August 2022, 08:49 AM   #117
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
I was in Ireland for 8 days, wore my BLNR the whole time. Flight was screwed up so slept in airport on the way home. No one noticed except the AD inside Heathrow on the connection home.
I've always been curious how you guys know 'no one noticed'?

Is it because no one came up to you and said " wow, nice Rolex! Box and Papers!"

I see a lot of people wear nice watches but unless I am at a watch function or a table of friends, I would NEVER approach someone I don't know and comment on their watch.
Old 9 August 2022, 09:56 AM   #118
mdwsta4
"TRF" Member

While traveling today is different than pre-Covid, I’ve been to Cabo, Milan, and Rome within the last year without feeling ‘unsafe’. Not sure if it’s because I’ll usually wear my no-date on a strap (or nato) instead of a bracelet so it looks more casual? Or because it doesn’t have a cyclops it doesn’t stand out as much? I also wander around other countries with a film Leica. Same applies to any of my domestic travels, which is weekly for work.

Be smart about the area you’re in, don’t be flashy, and hold onto your sh-t. Obviously, if someone comes up to you with a gun or a knife that’s another story, but in my years of traveling, as long as you’re smart about what you’re doing, you should be fine. If something does happen, it’s as likely in another country as it probably is in your own city. Crazy times
Old 9 August 2022, 02:35 PM   #119
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
I've always been curious how you guys know 'no one noticed'?
Naive .
Criminals are much more aware,because they are hunting those that contribute to society in a positive way by working their asses off .(..and paying taxes.)
Old 9 August 2022, 02:45 PM   #120
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huba01 View Post

Just been to Barcelona for two weeks wearing my 16710 and it's completely safe, no worries at all.

Really don´t get these threads, just enjoy your watch
Terrible advice.

Just because you got lucky nothing happened doesn’t mean it isn’t a hotspot for petty crime and pickpockets.
Closed Thread