The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 December 2023, 01:49 AM   #1
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Calatrava wrist shots please :)

I'd like to get a Calatrava for my 50th this year. Where it live it is highly unlikely I'll get to see any of the candidates in person. The one Patek dealer (3 hours away) has none in stock and said even if they had a display model I couldn't try it on (a nice warm welcome to the brand )

I'm on the fence between a 5196 and a 6119. With a 7" wrist I think I could wear either, but to me it's more a question of what suits the watch itself. I will mainly be wearing it dressed down so I don't mind it looking a tad more sporty from its size, but I don't want it to be ostentatious either.

I'd love to see wrist shots of these two models along with a mention of your wrist size.

Thank you!
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 02:17 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Calatrava wrist shots please

Love the 6119G but also really a fan of 5196P if you ever get a chance to try them on side by side that would be cool / pretty big wrist size of 8 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 04:03 AM   #3
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 07:02 AM   #4
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Those look incredible. What are your thoughts on the hobnail bezel? Obviously you like it, what I mean specifically is do you feel that it makes the watch appear more formal? I have read that before but in your pics it doesn't look as flashy as even a Day-Date fluted bezel. It seems like it adds some sophistication to the look, but doesn't necessarily make it more dressy?
Old 17 December 2023, 10:38 AM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Consider this guy!! Incredible Calatrava

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 01:37 PM   #6
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Consider this guy!! Incredible Calatrava

It’s complicated, so why is it considered a “Calatrava” ?
Old 17 December 2023, 01:45 PM   #7
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
It’s complicated, so why is it considered a “Calatrava” ?

A good and deep question: what constitutes are comprises a Calatrava? I don’t know the answer, but it is clear that Patek considers a Calatrava to be more than just a time-only watch.

I would highly commend to your consideration the 5224 as well. I’m hoping it will be my Calatrava.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 04:46 PM   #8
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
5227. My favorite in production model. Don’t see how you can go wrong with it, especially like the black dial.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 11:08 PM   #9
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Merry Christmas

Old 18 December 2023, 12:45 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Those look incredible. What are your thoughts on the hobnail bezel? Obviously you like it, what I mean specifically is do you feel that it makes the watch appear more formal? I have read that before but in your pics it doesn't look as flashy as even a Day-Date fluted bezel. It seems like it adds some sophistication to the look, but doesn't necessarily make it more dressy?

I personally love the hobnail bezel aka Clous de Paris as Patek call it’s. I have worn the watch with all kind of outfits from suit to super casual. I think it always works. I do find the RG version a bit more dressy compared to the G but I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

If it’s you only Patek and you don’t seem to have a AD relationship id snatch one up below retail.

Old 18 December 2023, 01:14 AM   #11
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 01:49 AM   #12
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

How casual?

I would go with something other than the 6119 with its hobnail bezel, which I think dresses up the watch and makes it more flashy (i.e., not casual, despite claims otherwise).

If you want more casual, you might consider a preowned ref 5296 with the sector dial (it came in both WG and RG).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 02:49 AM   #13
PAP13
"TRF" Member

PAP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 03:05 AM   #14
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Interesting observation. I’ve always thought the hobnail bezel was an unnecessary ornate decoration that was a distraction. These IRL pics make it feel more subtle. Going to check it out in person before making a final decision.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 03:08 AM   #15
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pics and the suggestions, keep them coming!

As far as some of these other references, I'm drawn (again, from pictures) to the dials that have applied markers. I imagine being more captivated looking at the light dancing off their facets than I would be with something like a sector dial. But perhaps there is some detail or depth to those that I cannot grasp from the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
How casual?
That's a great question and something I'm still grappling with. For context, my dress is extremely casual from t-shirt and Vans on the one end to maybe a leather shoe and shirt with buttons if somebody is getting married Never a suit, never a tie.

That said, I want the Patek to be special, and stand out in my collection, in more ways than just name and reputation. It would be my only gold watch. My only alligator strap. Even in rose or yellow gold it feels like the 5196 would be easier to dress down because to my eye it looks more vintage. It could be my dad's watch that I continue to wear whereas the 6119 has more of a look that screams "damn, that's a fancy watch". I don't know if that makes any sense or is even accurate, but that's what the pictures tell me. I definitely need to see them in person...
Old 18 December 2023, 03:23 AM   #16
kastor77
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Clous de Paris (hobnail) bezel in the 6119 is less flashy than in a DD or a DJ, in particular in their larger dimensions (40mm and 41mm) which are the equivalent of the 6119. The G is less noticeable than the R, although you can’t go wrong with both of them.

kastor77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 04:00 AM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
How casual?

I would go with something other than the 6119 with its hobnail bezel, which I think dresses up the watch and makes it more flashy (i.e., not casual, despite claims otherwise).

Fully agree.

A simple 5196 or similar dresses down a lot better than 6119 in my book.

I'd also avoid the 5524 / pilot watch suggested above unless one wants to go really sporty.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 04:13 AM   #18
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Calatrava wrist shots please

I would say a 6119R can dress down with a t shirt and jeans. Is it as casual as other choices, definitely not. But you can definitely enjoy it.

Keep in mind the 2nd photo was in bright sunshine in the peak of summer so is as shiny as it can get lol.

The clous de Paris hobnails are definitely more eye catching in photos than in person. I considered the 5196R but frankly it was just that little too dressy for me if that makes any sense. At least in my view the hobnail texture of the 6119R makes it somehow fit in more whether it is worn with a long sleeve or t shirt.

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 04:16 AM   #19
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Quote:
Originally Posted by briboxer View Post
What reference is this. Incredible
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 04:49 AM   #20
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
What reference is this. Incredible
It's the new 6007G ;)
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 04:51 AM   #21
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
It's the new 6007G ;)
Thanks, Damm I really like this one.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 05:03 AM   #22
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 06:48 AM   #23
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
5227. My favorite in production model. Don’t see how you can go wrong with it, especially like the black dial.
Yeah this one is on my radar. The scalloped lugs look amazing and are a nice thing to distinguish from the more commonplace look of the 5196, without being quite as in your face as the hobnail. My biggest concern is the thickness. I understand that an auto with date is going to be thicker than a manual wind time-only. But the 5227 is almost 1mm thicker than the 5226 which also has auto and date. I really want whatever reference I pick to be noticeably thin. Perhaps in person the 5227 would appear that way.
Old 18 December 2023, 07:40 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek

3796G
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 07:43 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek

3923J. Could not resist.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 11:26 AM   #26
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I purchased the 6119G in 2022 and I think it is a stunning watch. However it is VERY formal. I rarely ever use it because of this (also for some reason I find the manual wind awkward to use?). I tend to instead use my VC Patrimony 81180 which is a comparable, manual wind and classically elegant watch, but has a large diameter and cleaner design making it work better in smart casual situations.

The 6119 is very beautiful though, I do love it. I would say it is the sort of beauty anyone can appreciate, it doesn’t need any back story or explanation, the design speaks for itself and is absolutely brilliant. But it is an austere watch, with a lot of precise detailing (hobnail, minute tracks, etc), so it really is formal as you can get IMO. For smart occasions it is perfect, if you are more of a casual person I would probably look elsewhere… I bought it purely for its beauty as I have other watches to fill the gaps. I would not buy it as my main or even second watch though as I also am a bit more casual in style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5735.jpeg (258.1 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5737.jpeg (221.6 KB, 585 views)
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 12:04 PM   #27
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briboxer View Post

Great wrist shot. Every time I see it posted here or on IG I really like it and then I go back to thinking “not necessary, it’s not a $40k watch”. Maybe have to see it live

Old 18 December 2023, 12:55 PM   #28
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
I purchased the 6119G in 2022 and I think it is a stunning watch. However it is VERY formal. I rarely ever use it because of this (also for some reason I find the manual wind awkward to use?). I tend to instead use my VC Patrimony 81180 which is a comparable, manual wind and classically elegant watch, but has a large diameter and cleaner design making it work better in smart casual situations.

The 6119 is very beautiful though, I do love it. I would say it is the sort of beauty anyone can appreciate, it doesn’t need any back story or explanation, the design speaks for itself and is absolutely brilliant. But it is an austere watch, with a lot of precise detailing (hobnail, minute tracks, etc), so it really is formal as you can get IMO. For smart occasions it is perfect, if you are more of a casual person I would probably look elsewhere… I bought it purely for its beauty as I have other watches to fill the gaps. I would not buy it as my main or even second watch though as I also am a bit more casual in style.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very helpful! I find the rose gold model even more formal than the gray gold, so it's definitely a strong point to consider.

Beautiful Patrimony!
Old 18 December 2023, 02:39 PM   #29
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Love my 6119R. Time only simplicity with a super clean dial, perfect symmetrical dial, and the hobnail bezel dresses up the piece adding a unique class.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 03:56 PM   #30
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Love the shots in here.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote