The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 June 2018, 01:16 PM   #31
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I have an all original black dial 1978 and am restoring a 1976 blue dial. I guess you moved on but the dial and hands are (in my opinion) early service replacements. I say that because the original blue dials all suffered from “rot” which caused Rolex to change paint three times as I recall to get it to “stick”.

The first picture I thought it was an original. They look nearly black, and in fact I got my (rotted) dial for “reasonable” money as the seller was sure it was a (more common) black dial. But, Black dials don’t rot. Reports of rotted black dials were blue dials. It is a dark navy blue.

In your later pictures (under flash) it is clear the dial color is lighter. But the ink font style is identical to the first gen (rotten) dials so it (again,in my opinion) is probably a second gen dial. Same ink, close color. MAY rot in the future. Third gen dials are a lighter blue color. Arguably nicer, and the inspiration for the blue Pelagos I suspect. I see a lot of those dials here.

Insert looks to be thin font service (at best). Not the right one original to the watch. (I’m guessing this is a 1975 or so) You can get nicer looking aftermarket ones.

My inset is faded to “royal blue” or a somewhat purple hue. Similar to what you see with gold 1680’s. Similar time frame and probably made by the same maker. Later ones (or from another maker) seemed to fade more “nicely” and just become light blue- sort of like fading jeans. I prefer that look but I didn’t get that insert...

I’d need a lot more photos of a case to judge condition. I’ve seen solid cases that look really “over polished” just because they were not very sharp, from dings and wear. And I’ve seen well presented cases that were re-shaped and were actually thin. Best to do in hand but I’m getting better with pictures.

Looking forward to see what you decided on!
That issue was predominately with the blue 7021’s which would rot due to reaction to the tritium. A 9411with dial rot is more than likely due to water intrusion.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:18 PM   #32
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
YO - A full set nice blue flake B/P can fetch high teens ; )
Ridiculous. They’re great watches but not 10k great.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 04:12 AM   #33
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in MA View Post
Ridiculous. They’re great watches but not 10k great.
Agreed,I refuse to pay 10K for a Tudor.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:56 AM   #34
DHC8
"TRF" Member

If the case was not polished and you have a replacement bezel. Also change the crystal to no cyclops. it can be easily a 10k+ watch.
DHC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 06:20 PM   #35
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Hi All,

thanks much for your comments. I have indeed moved on and picked another one instead - i will post a few pics soon :)

Thank you again!
Paul
Lonestar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:01 PM   #36
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in MA View Post

Jesus these things are going for 10k now?!?! Oh makes me cringe to think of all the ones I've sold in the last 5-7 years......
Including this box-and-papers beauty I was lucky enough to get from you a few years ago. Even if it hadn't appreciated in value, it would have been worth every cent from such a trusted and knowledgeable seller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowflake.jpg (80.3 KB, 27 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote