The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #1
Hank
"TRF" Member

AP 42 ROO Grey Ghost vs VCO 5500V

Wasn’t quite sure where to post this thread. As the title states, what do the wise members of the forum think of these two options? I love that the new Grey Ghost is titanium with grey ceramic and that the VCO is very versatile with the quick strap change system. The ROO would set me back an extra 4000usd. Looking forward to your remarks. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #2
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
These are both watches I’ve considered! I haven’t yet seen this VC in person but it was the one that most excited me. That said I like everything about it but there just something (other than the price) that makes me pause. Maybe the strap system or does anyone else think the case is too wide for where the strap meets or it’s too narrow for the case and I’d prefer a brushed case size. Keep in mind I’m a big fan of this watch. But this ROO sings to me more. I already have a diver but I’ve been waiting for a 42 in titanium with ceramic bezel. I’d prefer a black bezel and accents but I understand it had to be different. So I put the VC on a list for myself later on or used. I keep going back and forth between this ROO and ROC. I have priced out the 42’s titanium bracelet as I’d likely get that and another rubber strap as I don’t like the colour, two tone or texture of this one. I got to view the ss version in March at the NYC boutique and myself and my sales person didn’t like the strap. It isn’t the same at the diver rubber at all in texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:35 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The VCO is a very nice piece, and user friendly, and has a nice punchy reverse Panda dial. The ROO has the CE bezel and is nicely balanced and has better resale. Close call but I'd go for the ROO, altho now CEs are on the 42s other better dial options will emerge.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

So I saw the black and red 42 with CE bezel last week on my travels.

Gorgeous piece - and the strap material on this version did feel great. Smoother and softer than the diver - I’m not convinced on the everydayability of the two tone colour scheme though.

But the black CE bezel really works wonders against the black dial.

Sorry OP as none of that helps with your question if it’s just the ghost your interested in.

The overseas is a beautiful watch and VC a great manufacturer - but if it’s a full steel on bracelet you’re after then better with the more iconic 15400/50 or jumbo.

They are quite different watches so depends if you want sporty or more dressy on which you should go for !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:47 AM   #5
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
I tried the VCO this weekend, I didn't like it. The bracelet is thin compared to the watch head and makes the balance awkward. Also the VC is thick in the wrong was, feels like I put a round chunk on my wrist.

ROO ghost, tried it too. Better balance, better wrist feel, looks cooler lol. But it feels a bit too light for me. Which can be a good thing for some but I like a little heavier watches.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
So in terms of movements, I have to say I tried the new OS chrono at the VC boutique in Dubai, and the calibre 5200 is buttery smooth. However if I'm correct it was only recently introduced in 2016 and its got screw down pushers.. so lets see how it will stand the test of time in terms of being solid and reliable.
On the other hand the calibre 3126 / 3840 in the ROO Ghost has been tried and tested, and its a fantastic movement without screw down pushers which makes its so easy and a joy to use.
Technical details aside, just as everyone mentioned here I didn't like the balance of the steel bracelet VC chrono the leather strap felt much better imo. But the awesome thing I really liked about the VC OS is that you get 2 straps and 1 metal bracelet with it & they are so easily interchangable!
In terms of looks and value retention incase you ever feel like switching things up.. then its ROO all day everyday.
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The VCO is a very nice piece, and user friendly, and has a nice punchy reverse Panda dial. The ROO has the CE bezel and is nicely balanced and has better resale. Close call but I'd go for the ROO, altho now CEs are on the 42s other better dial options will emerge.
I'm sure AP will roll out with more 42s w/ CE bezels but do you think they will introduce another one in Ti?
Old 11 December 2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Melkanian View Post
I prefer the ROO line to be honest...Have you tried an AP ROC?

I went through two RO 15400s in the past - black and blue. Lovely watch but shows scratches very easily even though I babied them. This is why I am looking at the ROOs with ceramic bezels so I can really enjoy the watch. Cheers!
Old 11 December 2018, 04:07 PM   #9
ragnk
"TRF" Member

VCO is perfect for me, I would go for it.
ragnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:48 PM   #10
appa666
"TRF" Member

Sporty vs Classy.
Its all about personal preference.

Value-wise AP will hold its value better in long run, so your extra 4k spending will get recovered if you ever gonna flip it. Assume you like both equally, I will go for AP.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:11 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'm sure AP will roll out with more 42s w/ CE bezels but do you think they will introduce another one in Ti?
I think it is probable, AP do have a tendency to roll out variations on a model a la Omega and TI has been a big hit with AP and a bit of a brand differentiator, just like Forged Carbon once was.
Old 11 December 2018, 09:18 PM   #12
tie19858
"TRF" Member

Saw this in another forum. Beautiful!

Sent from iPhoneX. Excuses for the typos if any.
tie19858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I’d go with the AP ROO. I recently tried the VC and the fit was a bit off for me.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:25 PM   #14
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it is probable, AP do have a tendency to roll out variations on a model a la Omega and TI has been a big hit with AP and a bit of a brand differentiator, just like Forged Carbon once was.

Thanks Neil. I’ll probably stay put until next year. I just put down a deposit on the blue VCO 4500V to hold me over until then :)

Old 11 December 2018, 10:26 PM   #15
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie19858 View Post

Saw this in another forum. Beautiful!

Sent from iPhoneX. Excuses for the typos if any.

Thanks for sharing. She sure is a looker!

Old 14 December 2018, 02:02 PM   #16
pandaMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht Master116622
I really like the ghost. That's the one I wanted to get but was way over my current budget, so I went with a elephant ROO which I also really like. But I think both look great.
pandaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:19 PM   #17
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
AP without a doubt!
Old 15 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #18
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I like the Offshore ghost lot - I don’t like this particular overseas very much due to the integration of the bracelet which, as has been stated above, looks too thin for the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:39 PM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
With the quick release strap system I’d choose VC here.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 11:35 PM   #20
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Was thinking of getting the grey ghost ( even had one reserved ) but decided to pass after seeing actual. As for the VC, it's just too thick for my liking. I'll pass on both.
Old 16 December 2018, 03:12 AM   #21
duc888
"TRF" Member

To make a decision just by looking at the two pictures I would choose the VC. The ghost always reminds me of a Hublot.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:32 AM   #22
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Quote:

For me that’s the question. I wanted titanium with black ceramic : (. Or DVEB a darker grey but I don’t fault them for being unique there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:38 AM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the VC for sure, especially in that color combo. The Grey ghost is OK and selfridges had one but that VC is much more impressive IRL.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:22 PM   #24
Hank
"TRF" Member

I have carefully considered all your comments and advices with much appreciation. I have decided to wait until next year to see what AP has in store. To hold me over until then, I added the VCO 4500V. I must say I am quite impressed with this piece. The quality is on par with the AP ROs. It may not be as iconic but the additional versatility and convenience of the quick strap change system surely compensates for it. The blue dial is also truly mesmerizing. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 17 December 2018, 08:25 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have carefully considered all your comments and advices with much appreciation. I have decided to wait until next year to see what AP has in store. To hold me over until then, I added the VCO 4500V. I must say I am quite impressed with this piece. The quality is on par with the AP ROs. It may not be as iconic but the additional versatility and convenience of the quick strap change system surely compensates for it. The blue dial is also truly mesmerizing. Thanks again for all your help!

for the time/date version that is the dial i would get as well. Love that piece. Prefer it to the black dial... on the chrono its the reverse and i would get the black you are considering. Congrats
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 December 2018, 08:28 PM   #26
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
for the time/date version that is the dial i would get as well. Love that piece. Prefer it to the black dial... on the chrono its the reverse and i would get the black you are considering. Congrats

I completely agree. Cheers Tyler!

Old 17 December 2018, 09:58 PM   #27
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Nice watch. I would pick the VC in the Chronograph version over the AP. I like the look much better. I get lost in the sea of AP products.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 10:18 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

That blue dial would be my first choice VC too. Can you get a decent discount on it over there? Was a big issue over here.
Old 18 December 2018, 12:42 AM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That blue dial would be my first choice VC too. Can you get a decent discount on it over there? Was a big issue over here.
thats why the chrono became so much more attractive... retail price dropped around £2-£2.5k but the time/date model price stayed the same.

Happened somewhere around the same time they announced the black dials. It use to be in £27k range

The chrono is <1k more than the AP at retail and the movement is better IMO and completely in-house w/o the module. Still have no idea what resale is like but discounts on both brands are pretty stingy in the UK at least. At the same price even with an expected poor resale the VC is probably a better buy and especially so if its to keep long term.

Design and aesthetics tends to be more personal but objectively i do think for what you get there is value there vs a ROO and also take into account 2 straps and a bracelet and a quick change system.

The spread on the 4500v and the 15400 is still too big at retail and especially so considering both the movements are more comparable.
Old 18 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #30
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. I managed to get close to 30% off MSRP. That should be close to 20% off MSRP in the states.