The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 December 2018, 05:19 PM   #31
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I was planning a trip the in the spring....if I had to go today, I would not go under any circumstances except family emergency.
Why would I take by own body and loved ones to a place with the civil unrest volume on ten.
Not only has there been terror attacks in the past which they seem to have a handle on but this makes the city vulnerable to that threat as well.
Taking a watch would be the last thing I'd be concerned about.

Visiting Paris is a big giant NO for me right now.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:21 PM   #32
Gotham777
"TRF" Member

Let your watch live! You will remember your really nice trip when you get home and look at your watch you were wearing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2018, 05:23 PM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
Profound. And when you come to California are you going abroad? Or coming to the place that is home to many people, including me?

OP, I grew up I. New Orleans (a dangerous port city). Be watchful, and be vigilant. I, too, think you’ll be fine.
That is the new world, I would never go there.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:24 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
That is the new world, I would never go there.
what about australia? the whole reason for its existence was to be a british prison colony what a bunch of thugs

Until 1782 they were also transported to america
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 December 2018, 05:26 PM   #35
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
what about australia? the whole reason for its existence was to be a british prison colony what a bunch of thugs
Big desert, everything is venomous and they have salt water crocs. Yeahh, not going there
Old 17 December 2018, 05:26 PM   #36
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jx299 View Post
Thanks for all the comments! I will bring my g shock.

Great idea.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:42 PM   #37
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I'd keep Rolex at home, seriously
Old 17 December 2018, 06:25 PM   #38
stchambe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 mk2
I think pick-pockets and thieves would be more of a concern to you than the yellow-vests. Protestors are not exactly running wild through the city looking for tourists to assault. Avoid protest areas and you shouldn't have any problems.

I live a few hours away from Paris and I personally avoid the city as much as I can. Some tips that you might find helpful:

1.) If you take public transportation or are frequently visiting tourist destinations, be aware of pick-pockets and check your belongings often.

2.) Be prepaired for major traffic delays and long lines (at least longer than they usually are).

3.) If you are using your phone to navigate, be sure to keep our head up and be aware of whats in front of you. Its surprisingly easy to turn a corner or walk a few blocks and find yourself in a protest.

I don't think you will run into any more trouble now, than you would during any other time of the year (The increased security presence may make common criminals even less likely to try something).
Old 17 December 2018, 06:44 PM   #39
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

I travel with a Seiko. I don't want to worry about a watch while I am trying to relax on holiday.

Wore my Seiko Turtle to Italy and France last year. However, I saw a bunch of people wearing Rolex, AP etc. They didn't seem to worry though.

Old 17 December 2018, 06:52 PM   #40
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post
I travel with a Seiko. I don't want to worry about a watch while I am trying to relax on holiday.

Wore my Seiko Turtle to Italy and France last year. However, I saw a bunch of people wearing Rolex, AP etc. They didn't seem to worry though.
I wear my BLNR whenever I'm in Italy or France, but took my 20yr old Speedmaster automatic to South Africa a couple of years ago

How the current "unrests" in Paris relate to tourist's Rolex escapes me, although I would be a bit more judicious than usual about where to park my car...
Old 17 December 2018, 07:00 PM   #41
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post

My DSSD went to Italy/Maurtius/Dubai /Seychelles.When I sell it I can ask more since "its well travelled"
Old 17 December 2018, 07:30 PM   #42
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
I actually know 2 people who had their watches stolen. One was a patek where the leather was cut off and the other was a Rolex that got ripped off. In Paris.

Paris & Barcelona is probably the only places I'd leave my watch at home at night. Many places around Europe I'd have my sleeves rolled down. The only time my wrist goes on display is around the cities where crime is punished hard and not a simple slap on the wrist (no pun intended).
Old 17 December 2018, 07:43 PM   #43
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, I am going to Paris for the first time next week. My family is spending the holiday there. With the Yellow Vest movement going on, is it safe to travel to Paris now? And more importantly, is it safe to travel with my Rolex to Paris?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Not the best place to go at the moment.
Old 17 December 2018, 08:30 PM   #44
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol1 View Post
Not the best place to go at the moment.
Why? i do commute between London, Paris and Brussels. Also going to Orlando and Miami early 2019. the risk is similar in all major cities, where you go, how you behave is what matters....

Paris is as usual, just check if there is any protest going on and avoid where they are... I'm not changing watch when i go there and i take the metro every day...
Old 17 December 2018, 09:09 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
One, it’s basically over. Two, the protests & looting took place only on Saturdays. Three, there were absolutely zero reports of people being mugged/attacked during the protests and looting.

Have a nice trip, you’ll be fine.
Exactly.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 17 December 2018, 11:01 PM   #46
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Put it this way OP, if SHTF in France you can use your Rolex as barter to cross the border.
Old 17 December 2018, 11:03 PM   #47
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Hi, I am going to Paris for the first time next week. My family is spending the holiday there. With the Yellow Vest movement going on, is it safe to travel to Paris now?
Why would you go somewhere that you do not feel safe?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 17 December 2018, 11:06 PM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why would you go somewhere that you do not feel safe?

as usual it goes like this... im going, my family is going/already there but what about my watch?

Then you leave the watch just to be "safe" and go yourself with the most important things imaginable
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 December 2018, 11:18 PM   #49
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hi, I am going to Paris for the first time next week. My family is spending the holiday there. With the Yellow Vest movement going on, is it safe to travel to Paris now? And more importantly, is it safe to travel with my Rolex to Paris?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
I wore my 16610 all over Paris and never an issue. I would think with the protest they would be preoccupied! I found Rolex to be far more ubiquitous in European countities than in the US.
Old 18 December 2018, 02:24 AM   #50
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Enjoy Paris and enjoy your watch while you are there.

DAVE

Old 18 December 2018, 03:28 AM   #51
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I would be more concerned about the tourist trap bars. I got stung 8 quid for a Heineken! Now that is robbery :)
Old 18 December 2018, 03:47 AM   #52
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I would be more concerned about the tourist trap bars. I got stung 8 quid for a Heineken! Now that is robbery :)
Old 18 December 2018, 03:49 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
thats happy hour in central london

just wait until that Heinekin counts as an import... then people will get really mad
Old 18 December 2018, 05:23 AM   #54
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Just keep your head on a swivel.
Old 18 December 2018, 06:00 AM   #55
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I would sooner wear a Rolex in Paris than I would certain US city neighborhoods.
Old 18 December 2018, 06:02 AM   #56
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Seems from afar that the violence associated with the protests are on weekends - yes those can be dangerous if you’re in the crossfire of gas canisters being launched by authorities and pitched back by protestors. You don’t want to be caught in the middle.

As far as the watch and thieves - you’re at risk in any big city if you are targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 18 December 2018, 06:03 AM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
Just keep your head on a swivel.
then you just look paranoid and attract all kinds of attention

Old 18 December 2018, 06:15 AM   #58
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Seems from afar that the violence associated with the protests are on weekends - yes those can be dangerous if you’re in the crossfire of gas canisters being launched by authorities and pitched back by protestors. You don’t want to be caught in the middle.

As far as the watch and thieves - you’re at risk in any big city if you are targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But, what amount of risk? I did a search and Paris came up at Number 5 in a list of top 10 places you'll get pickpocketed.
Old 18 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #59
jx299
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham777 View Post

Let your watch live! You will remember your really nice trip when you get home and look at your watch you were wearing there.

Nice!
Old 18 December 2018, 07:29 AM   #60
bronzeband00
Banned

I'll keep it at home if it were me. sure can't take the risk of losing a precious jewel to anyone.
Closed Thread