The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 November 2018, 01:31 PM   #31
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
I don’t think V25V is calling you an idiot, but I think your last sentence could actually translate to “more money than brains”. I’m sorry these two recent watch incidents happened to you, but you did make mistakes that most people spending this kind of money would instinctively avoid. It is probably best that you follow your plan to take a break from luxury watches.
To equate inexperience with “more money then brains” is a little insulting and off base, even if that wasn’t the intent. But it’s neither here nor there at this point. As I stated in my original post, I don’t need to be lectured or admonished or told that I have more money than brains - it’s just not helpful, I’ve spent more than enough time reflecting on the situation. I have gotten a lot of helpful advice from many who chimed in and am appreciative. I’ve had a lot on my plate the last few months and in reflection realize i kind of got lost in this hobby as an escape from some other things that have been hard. There’s no doubt my judgement was impacted as a result. Costly lessons I am learning this season, no doubt.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:13 PM   #32
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
JBK, don’t pay attention to the negativity brought up here. Lots of people are brave and smart until something hits them. Just human nature I guess. Bad times, in my experience, do not last. You will swim out, and I am sure if that.

Folks, let’s be civil here. No need to be negative. Let’s help the brother out.
Old 22 November 2018, 02:44 PM   #33
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF. I have mine on my policy literally hours, if not immediately, within acquisition. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I need some guidance with this. Would you mind posting a short guide on this? How you do it, insurance, etc?

I have a lot on watches and do not have anything insured.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:50 PM   #34
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Very sorry to hear indeed.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:12 PM   #35
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
OP, no one is trying to insult you, or even lecture you. I think you came here looking for sympathy and advice on what you can do to increase your chances of recovering your watch, and you received both. I think you know that recovery is a long shot at this point, so you definitely have my sympathy.

But those of us who have mentioned insurance are trying to help. Don’t listen if you feel we are lecturing you, but we’re trying to help others who may not have thought about insurance.

For non-OP readers:
If the financial loss of one of your watches would be devastating to you, then get them insured. It’s worth it! Ironically, I am traveling at this very moment with an AP and an Omega, and while I am being very carefully with these two watches, I have peace of mind knowing they are both fully insured.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:23 PM   #36
whan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116570CHNR, A384
For insurance, as a quick guide you can go one of two ways - either you can add it on as a supplemental policy to your homeowners/renters insurance or you can go third party that specializes in jewelry insurance. I personally do third party through jewelers mutual. Haven't had to make a claim with them so cant speak to that, but the steps to apply are pretty simple. Usually just need to just provide documentation of your purchase price, a picture of the watch on a provided background image you print out to verify you actually own the watch, and fill out a questionnaire about how often you wear / how you store it.

Cost is pretty minimal IMO for the peace of mind of being able to wear it whenever and however you want IMO. For my BLNR it was 105 per year to insure. My now 15450 and tudor BB are 200 combined per year to insure.
whan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:31 PM   #37
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Really sorry for the loss. I hope you will get your watch back. The only thing I can advice is to post on Instagram "stolen watches". May be someone spots it and notify you.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:55 PM   #38
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Sorry for the loss, I hope it works out. Between this and your Daytona incident maybe it is fair to say you should take a break from this hobby, it seems to be causing you more heartache than happiness. I wonder what the conclusion was of the Daytona incident? Anyways - Good luck.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:59 PM   #39
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
There's really no need for comments like this.
I disagree Adam — whilst I don't agree with the remark, I defend Neil’s right to express his skepticism, if he believes the OP is using this platform in an attempt to legitimise a bogus insurance claim.
If the OP is 100% legit, then such remarks will be like water off a duck’s back, given his appreciation that some people have a tendancy to be sceptical as part of their character.

Unlike what some others have said, I would urge the OP to use the forum and hobby if it benefits him by way of a distraction for the other aspects of life he’s had to recently endure. Maybe stick with something much cheaper and definitely use both instances of misfortune to become much more diligent and careful going forward.
Hopefully this period of life will soon end and far happier times will be ahead, and in a change of fortune, either or both watches are successfully recovered.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 07:24 PM   #40
Leftyman
"TRF" Member

You got scammed with your Daytona? Who?
Leftyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 07:27 PM   #41
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
I disagree Adam — whilst I don't agree with the remark, I defend Neil’s right to express his skepticism, if he believes the OP is using this platform in an attempt to legitimise a bogus insurance claim.
If the OP is 100% legit, then such remarks will be like water off a duck’s back, given his appreciation that some people have a tendancy to be sceptical as part of their character.

Unlike what some others have said, I would urge the OP to use the forum and hobby if it benefits him by way of a distraction for the other aspects of life he’s had to recently endure. Maybe stick with something much cheaper and definitely use both instances of misfortune to become much more diligent and careful going forward.
Hopefully this period of life will soon end and far happier times will be ahead, and in a change of fortune, either or both watches are successfully recovered.
Seriously?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:07 PM   #42
mjr24
Banned

Sorry to hear of your loss. I had my Cartier Roadster stolen 5 or 6 years ago when I was dumb enough to not have insured it. Needless to say, it was a lesson learned and now I insure all new acquisitions the day of. I also go with Jewelers Mutual.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:36 PM   #43
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

Stop grandstanding, it's tiresome.
Old 23 November 2018, 12:58 AM   #44
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

For all who do not insure, I have a question. Why did you think the AD/Boutique or even gray gives you an appraisal at time of purchase? We insure cars which depreciate like rocks but silly enough to not insure a watch, which in many cases has a higher value than a car and holds its value better? Sorry for being a jerk but this was always just common sense to me. And we aren't talking about 5k datejusts here in this particular sub forum either, so even more mind boggling.

I feel like we see these types of stories way more than we should given the types of people you would expect to be here buying $20k+ watches. It really is just bizarre to me and hope we stop seeing these threads, getting them insured is very easy and inexpensive given what we are spending on these pieces.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 01:08 AM   #45
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For all who do not insure, I have a question. Why did you think the AD/Boutique or even gray gives you an appraisal at time of purchase? We insure cars which depreciate like rocks but silly enough to not insure a watch, which in many cases has a higher value than a car and holds its value better? Sorry for being a jerk but this was always just common sense to me. And we aren't talking about 5k datejusts here in this particular sub forum either, so even more mind boggling.

I feel like we see these types of stories way more than we should given the types of people you would expect to be here buying $20k+ watches. It really is just bizarre to me and hope we stop seeing these threads, getting them insured is very easy and inexpensive given what we are spending on these pieces.

Good point, I know insuring doesn’t always come into scope. If you’re married, you probably insure the ring, why not the watch
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 02:55 AM   #46
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't put any faith in surveillance cameras ect. Even if they saw the person taking it, how would they identify him??? He may not even be a passenger, he cold be picking someone up or just someone who hangs around airports. Very sorry this happened, but if I had two watches valued like yours, I'm pretty sure I'd have them insured. Not trying to beat you up here........
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 02:59 AM   #47
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm sure there are people on this forum that could lose a watch of that value and not think twice!!! It would be like me losing $100.00. Or maybe they've had so many claims in the past that they can't get insurance. Some may choose not to have insurance and roll the dice. When I travel by plane, I bring one watch, the one I'm wearing.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 03:30 AM   #48
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I'm sure there are people on this forum that could lose a watch of that value and not think twice!!! It would be like me losing $100.00. Or maybe they've had so many claims in the past that they can't get insurance. Some may choose not to have insurance and roll the dice. When I travel by plane, I bring one watch, the one I'm wearing.

Totally agree and fits the category I mentioned above of having too much money to GAF. I get that but if you are that person, you wouldn't come in here whining about having it lost/stolen. You knew better most likely and didn't care. But those that come in here to talk about it likely do not fit that category and if those are the people, they should clearly be wiser than they are with pennies (in comparison) to insure these watches. Again, just mind boggling either way.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 03:37 AM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Jason, I'm really sorry to hear this and it's been a tough stretch you're going through for sure.

I have no advice but I hope karma is headed your way and you somehow recover your watch.

Best of luck and stay positive
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 04:18 AM   #50
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I got my Patek 5167a and daytona 116500ln insured by jewelers mutual. Super easy to do after the first timepiece is insured through them.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 05:07 AM   #51
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Do you have a picture of the watch?
Old 23 November 2018, 07:20 AM   #52
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Just seeing this. Tough break. Couple of tips which may help others.

1 - when using a rucksack to transport anything of value, pull both zippers down to the bottom of one side. This would prevent them ever working their way loose and ‘self-unzipping.’

2 - Insurance. But again be sure to check T&Cs. My insurance would not cover such an event as the watch was lost not stolen. There is no all eventualities cover possible where I live that I am aware of (I’ve looked thoroughly)

3 - avoid taking your watch off when travelling. I sometimes used to slip mine off when going through security. I will be keeping it on from now on. If taking off, be sure to stow securely.

I hope you are able to be reunited with the watch - really a sorry situation.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:40 AM   #53
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
My USAA Valuable Personal Property policy covers loss as well as theft, damage (not normal wear and tear), etc on my itemized jewelry and watches. Not sure about other policies, but good advice to check your terms and conditions carefully.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 08:24 AM   #54
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

im sorry man..

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 12:45 PM   #55
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Just seeing this. Tough break. Couple of tips which may help others.

1 - when using a rucksack to transport anything of value, pull both zippers down to the bottom of one side. This would prevent them ever working their way loose and ‘self-unzipping.’

2 - Insurance. But again be sure to check T&Cs. My insurance would not cover such an event as the watch was lost not stolen. There is no all eventualities cover possible where I live that I am aware of (I’ve looked thoroughly)

3 - avoid taking your watch off when travelling. I sometimes used to slip mine off when going through security. I will be keeping it on from now on. If taking off, be sure to stow securely.

I hope you are able to be reunited with the watch - really a sorry situation.
Thank you - i will be much more careful with my back packs and look into policies for the rest of my watch collection. I always wear my watch when traveling thru security and never have issues there.
Old 23 November 2018, 01:16 PM   #56
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
My USAA Valuable Personal Property policy covers loss as well as theft, damage (not normal wear and tear), etc on my itemized jewelry and watches. Not sure about other policies, but good advice to check your terms and conditions carefully.

Mine covers robbery from my person and theft, provided there is evidence of a break in. This also extends to cover a locked gym locker for example. But it will not cover accidental damage or loss.

Another member also posted previously about having had similar problems finding what i would call ‘all in’ insurance for continental Europe too. Back in the uk, it was readily available. So it does vary hugely from place to place.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 01:20 AM   #57
Apuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mine covers robbery from my person and theft, provided there is evidence of a break in. This also extends to cover a locked gym locker for example. But it will not cover accidental damage or loss.

Another member also posted previously about having had similar problems finding what i would call ‘all in’ insurance for continental Europe too. Back in the uk, it was readily available. So it does vary hugely from place to place.
Any recommendations on UK insurance that’s standalone / not part of homeowners? I rent so looking for some other options...

Thanks
Apuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 01:40 AM   #58
gin47
Banned

I feel so sad reading this, hope that you get a refunded or recover the watch.
gin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 06:45 AM   #59
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Finding an “all in” policy that covers for loss is a must for em. After this experience, I refuse to cut corners.
Old 24 November 2018, 06:51 AM   #60
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin47 View Post
I feel so sad reading this, hope that you get a refunded or recover the watch.
Thank you - I’ll update the thread once I have an update.

My case has been assigned to an investigator so will see what comes of that. Am still waiting to hear back from my CC on the claim - given the holiday in the States, I don’t expect to hear back from anyone until next week.

In the meantime I am racking my brain trying to figure out what may have come of the watch - did this person keep it? Are they trying to sel it? If so, where? Hoping the cameras will ID the person and that there will be a trail to follow - god willing, The authorities will find out who it was, be able to locate them and will be able to recover the watch intact and the condition in which it was found ASAP. Praying for a Christmas miracle.

Many thanks to the insights shared by folks here - I was about ready to throw up my hands but this thread helped me slow down and process and take action. I am thankful for this community.