The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
NTTD Milanese MK1 vs MK2 Bracelet Differences

Hey All,

Sorry if this has it's own thread. I did a search but couldn't find anything solid.

I can't even remember where I saw it, but I remember reading something about Omega changing some design details on the Milanese NTTD bracelet.

I'm considering purchasing the watch with bracelet. I'm not sure if I'm going preowned or new, but would like to be well informed regarding the bracelet.

So IF there are changes, can anyone explain pros and cons to each (if anything). I'm not overly concerned about "collectibility" or anything, but if for example the Mk1 has a hot spot or flaw in the clasp, I'd certainly like to know about it and try to find a watch with the best possible bracelet.

Thanks in advance!

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:25 AM   #2
Cassidy776
Banned

There was a post about the first shipments of Milanese bracelets breaking. The other thread, to read through carefully, is about how comfortable, or uncomfortable, the bracelet is, depending on the size of your wrist. Most, with wrists under 7", find it to be simply awful. Those with larger wrists, no problem....you're good to go.
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:31 AM   #3
Cassidy776
Banned

Here's the thread, with pics, from Omegaforums.net........https://omegaforums.net/threads/mila...td-007.123471/
Old 17 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you!
Old 17 January 2021, 09:16 AM   #5
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
The bracelet went through a redesign based off a few breakages where the mesh is joined to a flat piece on the lugs and also the clasp fixing. Omega don't believe this is a big enough issue to recall originals as "faulty" but big enough to change the design slightly. They now extend an overlap to the mesh. This makes each join visually different. Most like the look of the original better and few originals are being returned for swapping. For those that want the "movie" watch only the original is wanted. I believe the risk of breakage is VERY small. The images I have seen online are all the same indicating this is a very small issue. Most likely caused by wearing too tight and then flexing rather excessively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
The bracelet went through a redesign based off a few breakages where the mesh is joined to a flat piece on the lugs and also the clasp fixing. Omega don't believe this is a big enough issue to recall originals as "faulty" but big enough to change the design slightly. They now extend an overlap to the mesh. This makes each join visually different. Most like the look of the original better and few originals are being returned for swapping. For those that want the "movie" watch only the original is wanted. I believe the risk of breakage is VERY small. The images I have seen online are all the same indicating this is a very small issue. Most likely caused by wearing too tight and then flexing rather excessively.

Omega certainly was under the belief that this was hardly a small issue otherwise, why would they go through the time and expense to"beef up" the bracelet for future shipments as well as offer to replace all defectve ones. The reinforcement, to avoid more breakage, is barely noticeable to the naked eye.

The Milanese bracelet, although beautiful, has enough detractors as is....large gaps between wrists and bracelet due to the lack of flexibility as well as how uncomfortable it is for those with wrists smaller than 7". They really didn't do themselves any good with the lack of foresight as to how the design fails in practice. Too bad......its a beauty!!!!
Old 17 January 2021, 03:46 PM   #7
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
Omega certainly was under the belief that this was hardly a small issue otherwise, why would they go through the time and expense to"beef up" the bracelet for future shipments as well as offer to replace all defectve ones. The reinforcement, to avoid more breakage, is barely noticeable to the naked eye.

The Milanese bracelet, although beautiful, has enough detractors as is....large gaps between wrists and bracelet due to the lack of flexibility as well as how uncomfortable it is for those with wrists smaller than 7". They really didn't do themselves any good with the lack of foresight as to how the design fails in practice. Too bad......its a beauty!!!!

They didn't "offer" replacement. They are bound to by warranty. I have one and it is far more than barely noticeable. As for fit there are no more detractors than any of their other bracelets ie non tapering Seamaster bracelet. Relax mate.

Old 18 January 2021, 01:24 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
What also sucks about the watch is that you can’t put the rubber strap on it. I really wanted to buy this but the bracelet doesn’t work for me and I’m not a huge fan of the NATO.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:21 AM   #9
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
They didn't "offer" replacement. They are bound to by warranty. I have one and it is far more than barely noticeable. As for fit there are no more detractors than any of their other bracelets ie non tapering Seamaster bracelet. Relax mate.

You're the one that needs to relax ..........why so defensive about an admitted design flaw by Omega?? Oh yeah.....I'm certainly not your mate.

Regardless of what you say, the reinforced bar is barely noticeable "to the naked eye" and if you read the threads here and on other sites, what you'll find from other owners, including myself, is that its a beautiful bracelet that has many flaws for those with wrists on the small size........chill bra
Old 18 January 2021, 05:37 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I remember reading on the other side that omega said they may produce a short bracelet to avoid the issues with lots of excess material under the clasp for those with smaller wrists. I wonder if they have, or will.

Anyway, when I tried it I thought it was very nice but the lack of fit for the rubber strap put me off. I get it, as a straight link will need holes nearer the end of the lugs but disappointing all the same and takes away some versatility for me.

As with all these things - horses for courses. Some people hate the speedy bracelet and others love it. Just depends on your personal ability to get the fit you want.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:11 AM   #11
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

NTTD Milanese MK1 vs MK2 Bracelet Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
You're the one that needs to relax ..........why so defensive about an admitted design flaw by Omega?? Oh yeah.....I'm certainly not your mate.

Regardless of what you say, the reinforced bar is barely noticeable "to the naked eye" and if you read the threads here and on other sites, what you'll find from other owners, including myself, is that its a beautiful bracelet that has many flaws for those with wrists on the small size........chill bra

Dude. Take a chill pill. Yes OP can see many parts about this. I'm happy being "dummy" rather than so tense. Be happy. Get back to Capitol Hill.

Old 18 January 2021, 10:20 AM   #12
Cassidy776
Banned

[QUOTE=watchmavan;11206151]Dude. Take a chill pill. Yes OP can see many parts about this. I'm happy being "dummy" rather than so tense. Be happy. Get back to Capitol Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE

Old 18 January 2021, 12:08 PM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

What is going on here!? Haha. Thanks to everyone for the comments!

So we’re confirmed this watch won’t fit any of the oem rubber straps? That’s disappointing for sure.
Old 18 January 2021, 12:44 PM   #14
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
What is going on here!? Haha. Thanks to everyone for the comments!

So we’re confirmed this watch won’t fit any of the oem rubber straps? That’s disappointing for sure.
Correct. The lug holes aren’t in the same spot because the bracelet
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:50 PM   #15
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Does Omega have a shorter version titanium mesh bracelet? I did a google search and someone mentioned omega had a SKU for a shorter mesh bracelet which would fit smaller wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:41 PM   #16
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
Does Omega have a shorter version titanium mesh bracelet? I did a google search and someone mentioned omega had a SKU for a shorter mesh bracelet which would fit smaller wrist.

Get yourself a STAIB. Considerably more comfortable and better quality.

However note that minor machining is required to ensure proper fitment...well within the skillset of the average tinkerer.

[STAIB Satin Finish Mesh Bracelet #STEEL-2784-20725APB-S (Straight End, 20mm)].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STAIB_007r.jpg (259.8 KB, 256 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:05 PM   #17
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post

That’s what I mentioned above. It was discussed just before COVID struck so whether it has materialised or not I don’t know. Anyone interested could probably send a quick email to their boutique.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:21 PM   #18
bejzv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Get yourself a STAIB. Considerably more comfortable and better quality.

However note that minor machining is required to ensure proper fitment...well within the skillset of the average tinkerer.

[STAIB Satin Finish Mesh Bracelet #STEEL-2784-20725APB-S (Straight End, 20mm)].
The STAIB certainly looks comfortable. I think it's a better option.
bejzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:18 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good information. Thanks.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:05 AM   #20
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejzv View Post
The STAIB certainly looks comfortable. I think it's a better option.
What a shame. The thousand dollar titanium bracelet sucks so you have to buy a $75 one to replace it. I’d be not to happy about that. I think that watch had serious design flaws from the beginning. Milanese bracelets designed as straps are notoriously uncomfortable for lots of wearers because of the thickness at the buckle. They should have used the classic Milanese style with the clasp.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 08:55 AM   #21
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Interesting that a design that suits some people very well is labeled a design fault by those that it doesn't suit. All watches and bracelets suit some people and not others. Does this mean that all watches and all bracelets have design faults!

Old 19 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #22
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting that a design that suits some people very well is labeled a design fault by those that it doesn't suit. All watches and bracelets suit some people and not others. Does this mean that all watches and all bracelets have design faults!

If you read the various forums about this topic you’ll see it’s a systemic problem for many owners who have the bracelet model. Just search on this forum! My omega watchmaker even warned me about that bracelet. It’s not anecdotal. This watch gets flipped more times than Sunday morning pancakes and mostly because of the bracelet.
Old 19 January 2021, 09:09 AM   #23
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
If you read the various forums about this topic you’ll see it’s quite a systemic problem for many owners. My omega watchmaker even warned me about that bracelet. It’s not anecdotal. This watch gets flipped more than Sunday morning pancakes

I've read most. Yes it gets flipped. So do many other watches. Yes tge bracelet is an issue for some people. So is the at grandad non-taper bracelet on the Seamaster. This doesn't change what I said.

Old 19 January 2021, 09:14 AM   #24
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've read most. Yes it gets flipped. So do many other watches. Yes tge bracelet is an issue for some people. So is the at grandad non-taper bracelet on the Seamaster. This doesn't change what I said.

I didn’t think it would. The problem with the overall design of the watch is that Omega doesn’t currently offer other than the two strap options for this piece unlike the Seamaster and Speedmaster. Also, the NTTD watch is double the price of the SS Seamaster you cited.

Glad it works for you.
Old 19 January 2021, 10:23 AM   #25
Trog
Banned

Heck, if you don't like the bracelet, put it on a strap:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bond 007_Gat2r.jpg (271.3 KB, 201 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:30 AM   #26
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I didn’t think it would. The problem with the overall design of the watch is that Omega doesn’t currently offer other than the two strap options for this piece unlike the Seamaster and Speedmaster. Also, the NTTD watch is double the price of the SS Seamaster you cited.

Glad it works for you.

Strap "offerings" are not a design issue which you have said in your post. I'm not aware of any other Omega that offers more than one Bracelet option. Like any watch that doesn't have an integrated bracelet, you are also free to swap to something different from noon OEM suppliers, as thousands of watch owners already do. I'm sure there are many watches people won't buy because there is something about the watches design they don't like. That's a taste issue and not a design issue.

So in the end some people will like it, others won't. Fortunately we all have many options st various price points.

Old 19 January 2021, 12:11 PM   #27
dummykid
"TRF" Member

any good quality rubber strap fits the NTTD? I have checked both Zealande and RubberB, but they don't have any for NTTD. ( my wrist size is 6.5" to 9.75" when its hot)
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:27 AM   #28
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Heck, if you don't like the bracelet, put it on a strap:
Damn..........that strap is awesome!!!!
Old 22 January 2021, 01:41 PM   #29
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
I have the Mk2 and it works fine on my 7 in wrist. It was really stiff the first time I wore it but it has loosened up and it is comfortable for me. My wrist is big enough that I don't have any of the gap issues that some people complain about. I am not going to say that it is the most comfortable bracelet, my Rolex Jubilee is much more comfortable, but for what it is I can wear it all day with no issues, I love the way the Milanese bracelet looks so I don't plan to swap it out although I also own the original NATO strap.
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote