The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2024, 01:26 PM   #61
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
After reading this all day, I threw on my SD43. I don’t understand the uncomfortable comments. I love this watch.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 01:57 PM   #62
jbellmd
2024 Pledge Member

seems like a beauty to me. always thought 42mm perfect size for sports watch
jbellmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 02:26 PM   #63
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I absolutely adore my SD 43 and it gets more wrist time than any other watch I own. Reasons:

1. It's the toughest, most capable watch Rolex makes in Rolesor, and therefore it's the perfect watch for me, because I love gold, and I love tough watches.

2. Legible as hell, and now with a cyclops. As someone else pointed out, aging eyes start to have trouble with smaller watches and date apertures.

3. I find it extremely comfortable, and it feels like a part of me when I put it on. Your mileage may obviously vary on this point.

4. It's obtainable. My AD got me this watch in 4 weeks at the height of the mania.

By the way, whoever owns the Deep Sea pictured on the black NATO strap...damn that watch looks good on a NATO.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:51 AM   #64
rick999
"TRF" Member

Only if you're as big as Ronnie Coleman. The things huge to wear , looks a bit silly IMO unless you're massive
rick999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 05:30 AM   #65
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

I'm 6'2 240 lbs of rock solid muscle. (okay not really).

It's perfect for me. I'm glad it exists.

All my watches are "big" even my Lange dress watch is 40.5
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:31 AM   #66
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
After reading this all day, I threw on my SD43. I don’t understand the uncomfortable comments. I love this watch.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:29 AM   #67
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

I love the vintage sea dwellers. They tried to bring back some of the essence of the vintage , with the red text, but just didn’t catch on. Maybe they’ll tweak the design. Red text with no cyclops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:51 AM   #68
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
A great watch for those with bigger wrists. I'm guessing there aren't that many with bigger wrists.

If you can wear a Exp2 42mm then likely the SD43 will work. It's not the heaviest Rolex although it has more heft than a regular SS Sub/GMT/
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:35 AM   #69
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick999 View Post
Only if you're as big as Ronnie Coleman. The things huge to wear , looks a bit silly IMO unless you're massive

Totally false.
You can not be massive but still have a wrist for it, an adequate frame/construction without breaking a bathroom scale (and supposedly end up in a wheelchair by the way)...

What really matters is the size of the wrist, and the lug to lug of the watch. From 7'inch wrist, the SD43 is suitable for all thin or massive men.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:13 AM   #70
ajfcpajd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I'll tell you in 8 months time, when I start wearing mine. I bought it in May 2017 from Wempe Madrid (Spain). Been roting in my safe all these years. I'll be turning 50, so I figured it's the perfect occasion to pop the cherry of the 50th Anniversary Sea-Dweller, finally.

I'm not afraid of the caseback. Same 20mm flat surface as my Sub and YM.
Happy birthday - in 8 months!

I had a 5 digit Submariner date i bought in 2005. Never thought i wanted another watch.

Then in advance of my 50th birthday in 2017 the watch was released at Basel My AMAZING wife told me to put my name on the list as my birthday present. Long story short - got in slightly in advance of my birthday. likely was the first one where we live. I LOVE THIS WATCH! It's the watch I always come back to - can't go more than a day or two without wearing it. And I never thought that would happen.
ajfcpajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:30 PM   #71
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
Totally false.
You can not be massive but still have a wrist for it, an adequate frame/construction without breaking a bathroom scale (and supposedly end up in a wheelchair by the way)...

What really matters is the size of the wrist, and the lug to lug of the watch. From 7'inch wrist, the SD43 is suitable for all thin or massive men.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you’re in the minority here. This is why the SD43 is not as popular.

There’s a reason why nearly all Rolex watches are in the 12mm thickness range.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:43 PM   #72
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The pre-Oysterflex Yachtmaster was a strong candidate.

I wasn’t a fan at the time, but in retrospect it was a brilliant move, as its popularity emboldened Rolex to implement more radical design changes in the YM than in the Sub, such as titanium.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 04:08 PM   #73
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

I am 5'9" and have the SD43 and YM40 - for years I thought the SD43 was too big and did not wear it much, then I started wearing for around 4 months. Now my YM40 seems too small... My wrist is just under 7" and think that is really the key - smaller than that would definitely be a challenge. If you get used to larger watches it works, but if you go straight from a 40mm rolex to the SD43 it can really feel big for a while. Also - it looks bigger when you look at your wrist vs seeing it in a mirror - that is for sure.
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 05:51 PM   #74
robertengel
"TRF" Member

I read a few of the comments but not all, in short no it is not the least popular.

I would also differentiate between popular and numbers sold, but not sure how :D

Here are a few I would rate lower in terms of popularity from what I consider sports models:
Yacht Master II
Yacht Master 40 Steel with platinum bezel
Explorer 2
Sea Dweller Deep Sea
Air King

For full disclosure I own the 43 and plan on adding a polar explorer 2
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:40 AM   #75
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Good Lord, no. Not even close.

Should the worst case scenario happen, it will be the last sport model to leave my collection.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 08:57 AM   #76
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

The TT seadweller is the most unpopular dive watch Rolex ever made. Make sure you get a heck of deal buying one if you do go that route because they are not easy to flip
Old 25 January 2024, 09:19 AM   #77
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
I read a few of the comments but not all, in short no it is not the least popular.

I would also differentiate between popular and numbers sold, but not sure how :D

Here are a few I would rate lower in terms of popularity from what I consider sports models:
Yacht Master II
Yacht Master 40 Steel with platinum bezel
Explorer 2
Sea Dweller Deep Sea
Air King

For full disclosure I own the 43 and plan on adding a polar explorer 2
Given my purchase history from my AD over the years, I'm realizing that your list is probably all that I will ever get offered, lol. In 2022, my options were SD43 or an Explorer 2. I do like the Air King!
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 01:33 PM   #78
Seadog7777
"TRF" Member

The SD43 was the first one that my dealer offered up to me. I had my name down for that, Sub. Date, Sky D & DSSD JC and the SD43 was the first to become available to me.

I grabbed it with open arms, it’s a wonderful piece and just about the perfect mix of size, fit and function that I find hard to beat in any high end watch - let alone a Rolex model.

Love, love, love this REF. !!!
Seadog7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:00 PM   #79
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

The SD43 is a tougher proposition for many folks due to its size. The current Submariner at 41 mm has big presence but is more comfortable.

I have a 126660 Deep Sea and a 126603 Sea-Dweller. I really like them both. The stainless and gold Sea-Dweller has a beautiful somewhat matte black dial that I just love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2024, 02:01 PM   #80
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN_VAN7 View Post
I am 5'9" and have the SD43 and YM40 - for years I thought the SD43 was too big and did not wear it much, then I started wearing for around 4 months. Now my YM40 seems too small... My wrist is just under 7" and think that is really the key - smaller than that would definitely be a challenge. If you get used to larger watches it works, but if you go straight from a 40mm rolex to the SD43 it can really feel big for a while. Also - it looks bigger when you look at your wrist vs seeing it in a mirror - that is for sure.

I guess it can be a style?

Old 25 January 2024, 02:07 PM   #81
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Not sure if it’s really the most unpopular but if it is I’d be more than happy. The less people interested with it the better IMO. Just got the SS SD43 and I’m actually toying with the idea to get the TT SD43 to pair with it.
Old 25 January 2024, 02:54 PM   #82
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Not sure if it’s really the most unpopular but if it is I’d be more than happy. The less people interested with it the better IMO. Just got the SS SD43 and I’m actually toying with the idea to get the TT SD43 to pair with it.
Do it!

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 03:28 PM   #83
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
I guess it can be a style?

This guy has 5.5” wrists. Haters will indeed hate
trout_thumper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 04:15 PM   #84
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout_thumper21 View Post
This guy has 5.5” wrists. Haters will indeed hate

I’m not hating. Everyone can have their own opinion and wear whatever they want, but it’s not to say that some people wear stuff that 90% of people look at and find it ridiculous.

Yes this is one of those situations.
Old 25 January 2024, 08:34 PM   #85
novocainekarma
"TRF" Member

The issue is not that it's "unpopular", because amongst collectors and nerds it isn't. That probably falls more towards the YM2.

The issue is that it's a hinterland watch and not that well known to the broader public who all know and want Subs, Daytonas. gmt's, and those who want big in your face watches have all heard of the Cameron.

The SD43 isnt the biggest baddest, and it isnt the one Bond wore.

Personally, it's my favourite current reference in the sports line-up and I got one as soon as it was released. T
novocainekarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 09:49 PM   #86
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I've said it before on here, but I think you really have to WANT an SD to buy one, because to the average Joe it's "just" a slightly bigger, less practical Sub that costs a lot more money. (When I say less practical, I mean in terms of everyday life, not diving obviously!). Also, while it is an iconic piece/name in both watch and diving circles, it's nowhere near the cultural icon that the Sub is.

I owned an SD43 myself, but sold it due to a number of reasons - firstly it experienced the 3235 slowing issue which killed my trust in it, secondly I found the hands just a little small aesthetically for the case, and lastly I found it too thick and top heavy in a way I didn't find with my old and also departed DSSD, so I was constantly messing with the Glidelock to try to get a comfortable fit. It's clearly just one of those watches that works for some folks and not others.

One thing though I don't hold with though is the "it's a Sub but for men" line. I have 7.75" wrists and can carry off the size just fine: it's just that these days I much prefer the comfort and wear-and-forget-ability of slimmer pieces like the Sub. Slipping under a cuff and not getting caught up is a more important attribute to me these days.
Old 25 January 2024, 10:55 PM   #87
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think the YM2 is the least popular sports Rolex model. Air King may be even less popular than the YM2.

The SD43, along witht the DSSD line is more of a niche watch due to the size. Many love it, but smaller wrists have difficulty pulling it off. For them the Sub is the much better fit.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 03:02 AM   #88
Carbon Brakes
Banned

SD43 was the first Rolex I ever bought. Wore it for a year, ended up selling it and buying an LV Sub. Its a nice watch but it wasn't comfortable to wear. It felt like my PM GMT at the end of the day. I was ready to take it off.
Carbon Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 04:05 AM   #89
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

The "least" popular sports Rolex? I don't know about that. I think the Air King doesn't really fit anywhere in the Rolex lineup, but that's just me. I don't have any sales figures to back this up.

The "issue" with the SD43, and I own one, love it, and cherish it, is that there is so much Rolex fanboy'ism attached to the previous Sea Dweller model that it suffers from the "well it's not.....[insert overly praised model here]" - ism.

People complain about it having a cyclops. People complain it's too big. People complain it's not as tool-like like the Deepsea. People complain that it has the 32XX movement. People complain it has a helium escape valve.
People complain it looks too much like the Sub, and some people complain that it's not Sub-like enough (ie, too big, bulky, whatever).

I mean, people are trying so hard to find a reason to hate it. It's irrational. You can never, ever please a Rolex fanboy.

I think it's the Rolex model that will steadily be looked back on as the keeper in the dive watch group. It is more purposeful and capable than the Sub (which has had a cyclops forever by the way).

It's also infinitely more wearable than the Deepsea (which is too big and heavy in my book and also has a helium escape valve).

The splash of red gives it more dial presence and gives it some pop.

I find the cyclops makes the date infinitely more readable, and therefore, more practical.

It looks really really good on rubber strap, something that I cannot say of the Deepsea, nor, in most executions, the Sub.

Would take this model over the Explorer I or II or Air King or Milgauss, and yes standard Sub/Sub-Date any day.

I would rank this third behind the Daytona and GMT models in terms of Rolex's best sports watch lineup (yes, ahead of the Sub).

But again, my 2 cents.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 07:15 AM   #90
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
If you can rock a large watch it's cool. I can't. I can barely rock a Sub.
I've seen a few people wearing the 43-44mm and I think it looks horrible, just doesn't fit.
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote