The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 March 2016, 11:28 PM   #1
josephvman
Banned

Tell me about your Glashutte Seventies Chrono!

I've owned GO's in the past and they're wonderful watches, and yesterday I saw the Senator Seventies Chrono for the first time, blue dial model on bracelet, and it blew me away. I just bought an Aquanaut so the "tv" style case has caught my attention and a Nautilus on bracelet is on my radar as well. The complications on the Seventies are very cool and discretely integrated into the dial. The piece has much more presence in person than the pics indicate, and the manufacturing quality is as good as I've seen. My last was a Sport Evolution Pano, which I liked but found lacked its own distinct personality, but if you've got a Seventies Chrono I would love to hear some impressions.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 01:21 AM   #2
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

The navy dial GO uses is perfect! The only thing that may draw you away is the thickness of the case, but I wouldn't worry about it the watch is amazing!
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 05:14 AM   #3
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
I've tried to find other Seventies Panorama owners on this forum a few weeks ago, but haven't got any responses so far:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...50#post6431250

Then went to TZ's GO forum, but haven't got many actual owner's responses there either. My conclusion is that Seventies owners are very scarce, even though the watches seem to be awesome. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Or maybe GO watches are overpriced? Maybe GO lacks the necessary marketing to make sure WIS and other watch lovers get to know the brand and their fabulous time pieces? I don't know... I'm still considering the Seventies Panorama Date, with the gray (ruthenium) dial, but first I have to try it on to make sure it's not too large for my thin (6.3-inch) wrist.

One Seventies Chrono owner's review I've found particularly interesting and useful is the following:

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...383&pi=7457048

Happy hunting! And _please_ post your impressions if you decide to purchase a Seventies.
Old 17 March 2016, 05:29 AM   #4
josephvman
Banned

Thank you for the info Fiery! The new ceramic Daytona now has my eye, but I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and get away from another Rolex.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 03:25 PM   #5
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
My conclusion is that Seventies owners are very scarce, even though the watches seem to be awesome. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Or maybe GO watches are overpriced? Maybe GO lacks the necessary marketing to make sure WIS and other watch lovers get to know the brand and their fabulous time pieces? I don't know... I'm still considering the Seventies Panorama Date, with the gray (ruthenium) dial, but first I have to try it on to make sure it's not too large for my thin (6.3-inch) wrist.
Well, GO makes fewer watches than Rolex or Omega, so by definition fewer people may have them. Also, those of us who own GO may like staying under the radar :-)

To answer your question, GO 70s is a tall watch. If you have 6.3 wrists, you will be better off with the regular date model. If you like the general design, try a Nautilus or an Aquanaut--those watches are a tad slimmer. My wrist is bigger than yours and I defaulted to the panorama date model just to be safe.

As far as the brand goes, GO kicks butt. I'd choose its high end models (say, $11K and up MSRP) over what Rolex has to offer any day. Peace~
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Well, GO makes fewer watches than Rolex or Omega, so by definition fewer people may have them. Also, those of us who own GO may like staying under the radar :-)

To answer your question, GO 70s is a tall watch. If you have 6.3 wrists, you will be better off with the regular date model. If you like the general design, try a Nautilus or an Aquanaut--those watches are a tad slimmer. My wrist is bigger than yours and I defaulted to the panorama date model just to be safe.

As far as the brand goes, GO kicks butt. I'd choose its high end models (say, $11K and up MSRP) over what Rolex has to offer any day. Peace~
I've already tried on a few Nautilus models and also owned a Royal Oak 15300ST, so thickness wise I'm sure the regular Seventies would be best. My only concern is the large dial: going by the numbers and photos, it makes the watch considerably larger than other 40mm watches that have a steel or ceramic bezel (e.g. Sub, Royal Oak, etc). According to my experiences Genta designs and Genta inspired 70s designs work best with non-thick cases, somewhere between 7 and 11mm. Anything else, including the Nautilus 5980 and 5990 look a bit odd, a bit too thick, although I still cannot say I hate them or that I wouldn't like to wear them :)
Old 22 March 2016, 12:30 PM   #7
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've already tried on a few Nautilus models and also owned a Royal Oak 15300ST, so thickness wise I'm sure the regular Seventies would be best. My only concern is the large dial: going by the numbers and photos, it makes the watch considerably larger than other 40mm watches that have a steel or ceramic bezel (e.g. Sub, Royal Oak, etc). According to my experiences Genta designs and Genta inspired 70s designs work best with non-thick cases, somewhere between 7 and 11mm. Anything else, including the Nautilus 5980 and 5990 look a bit odd, a bit too thick, although I still cannot say I hate them or that I wouldn't like to wear them :)
You'll be pleasantly surprised with GO 70s Panorama Date. The watch appears to be bigger, but it wears nice. Way more comfortable than Milgauss.
Old 26 March 2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
I tried this watch on. Amazing. I have 6.5 inch wrists but quite flat, was not big on me. Would be my grail chronograph. The grey dial is a looker. Blue you may tire of although looks really good. Height is not an issue, not thin but at the end of the day it's a mechanical chronograph with an amazing in house movement.
Bracelet fits better on smaller wrists.
My favourite GO.

uploadfromtaptalk1458945044951.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1458945059525.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:34 AM   #9
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Quote:

I disagree about small wrists and the 70s chronograph. See my post above.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 12:30 AM   #10
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Also, those of us who own GO may like staying under the radar :-)
Well, we have different definitions of "staying under the radar" because there are many Rolexes and Omegas that are more subtle than this GO with a purplish-blue dial and polished bezel and PCLs. Maybe you're talking about brand perceptions, but I tend to focus on the merits of the watches.

That said, I have considered the non-chrono version of this watch many times and absolutely love it. Proportions are perfect and I'd say the bracelet/clasp is one a of a very few that compares with Rolex quality in this price range. I also think the GO date is executed better than any other big dates.

I've unfortunately never handled the chrono version so can't comment on its thickness, but I also hear this complaint about the Milgauss and have never had an issue.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 07:05 AM   #11
Fiery
"TRF" Member

I'm on the fence to order a Seventies Panorama Date, but I can't decide on the dial colour and the rubber strap vs. bracelet issue. A couple of questions to existing Seventies owners (both date-only and chrono models):

1) If you use it on the rubber strap, do you use it in the default orientation, which is the reverse if you compare it to other brands? Or did you have it reversed? What are your impressions on the strap? If you have a sub-7-inch wrist, does the rubber strap work fine for such wrists as well?

2) If you use it on the bracelet, did you have any issues sizing it? To me the individual bracelet links look a bit longer than e.g. a Rolex Oyster link, which could make it difficult to accurately size the bracelet, especially for slim wrists. And I can't see a half-link in the bracelet. How many links have you removed from each side of the bracelet? Please also state your wrist size ;)

3) Do you know if there's a difference between the original blue dial shade, and the new one where the date wheel got a blue background? I've read conflicting information on this subject on other forums.

4) If you've ordered a rubber strap or a bracelet after your purchase of the watch, how much did it cost?

Thank you
Old 28 March 2016, 08:27 AM   #12
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm on the fence to order a Seventies Panorama Date, but I can't decide on the dial colour and the rubber strap vs. bracelet issue. A couple of questions to existing Seventies owners (both date-only and chrono models):

1) If you use it on the rubber strap, do you use it in the default orientation, which is the reverse if you compare it to other brands? Or did you have it reversed? What are your impressions on the strap? If you have a sub-7-inch wrist, does the rubber strap work fine for such wrists as well?

2) If you use it on the bracelet, did you have any issues sizing it? To me the individual bracelet links look a bit longer than e.g. a Rolex Oyster link, which could make it difficult to accurately size the bracelet, especially for slim wrists. And I can't see a half-link in the bracelet. How many links have you removed from each side of the bracelet? Please also state your wrist size ;)

3) Do you know if there's a difference between the original blue dial shade, and the new one where the date wheel got a blue background? I've read conflicting information on this subject on other forums.

4) If you've ordered a rubber strap or a bracelet after your purchase of the watch, how much did it cost?

Thank you
I plan to use the watch on a rubber strap. I have not thought about the orientation at this time.

The bracelet has to be sized for most people with average wrist size. The process of link removal is super easy. My wrist is just under 7".

Some claim that the original blue dial is lighter (more like lavender blue). I went with a gray dial as I already have a blue watch... Otherwise, I would have gone for the blue.

The rubber strap and all parts required for it are about 800USD.
Old 28 March 2016, 10:02 AM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I love GO and was very excited to see this come out, especially in blue. But it was definitely a little on the big side with my 6.5" wrist. Not as bad on a bracelet, but it went from a must have to probably not for me.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 11:30 PM   #14
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I plan to use the watch on a rubber strap. I have not thought about the orientation at this time.

The bracelet has to be sized for most people with average wrist size. The process of link removal is super easy. My wrist is just under 7".

Some claim that the original blue dial is lighter (more like lavender blue). I went with a gray dial as I already have a blue watch... Otherwise, I would have gone for the blue.

The rubber strap and all parts required for it are about 800USD.
Thank you, I appreciate your answers. My concern about the bracelet is that combined with the polished slim bezel, and the large sparkly dial (I mean the blue dial which looks spectacular on photos), the wide PCL may make the watch look too "blingy", too shiny to my liking. My other concern is that due to my slim wrist the 6-hour side of the bracelet has to be sized short and accurate, to prevent the watch head from rotating, and also to provide enough space for my wrist to swell on the hot summer days. For example, with the Sub-C bracelet the 6-hour side having 3 full links was too short, since it positioned the clasp too close to the watch head; but 4 full links was too long and the watch rotated around my wrist. Fortunately using 3 full links + the supplied half-link made the Sub-C perfect for my wrist. But, the Seventies doesn't seem to have a half-link in the bracelet, and I'm not sure if there's a half-link available as an optional purchase either. Judging by the photos the bracelet links look quite long, definitely longer than the Sub-C Oyster bracelet links. So it's a fifty-fifty chance if using 3 links turns out to be perfect or not. If not, then 2 links would be definitely too short, and 4 links are way too long IMHO.

That's why even though I usually prefer any steel watch on a bracelet, I'm considering getting a Seventies on rubber strap. Based on the price of the rubber strap, it's quite expensive if I had to change my mind after purchasing the watch. In case the rubber strap with the steel deployant costs USD $800, then I guess the bracelet is well over $1000. It would be quite a financial hit to pick the wrong path to reach ultimate wearing comfort :)

As for the dial colour, it would be the safest choice to pick the gray dial, but somehow the blue one is calling me I'm not a fan of lilac and purplish tone dials, but still, the blue somehow looks appealing even when IMHO it's a riskier choice.

Does anyone know if there's a half-link available for the Seventies bracelet?
Old 29 March 2016, 08:18 AM   #15
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate your answers. My concern about the bracelet is that combined with the polished slim bezel, and the large sparkly dial (I mean the blue dial which looks spectacular on photos), the wide PCL may make the watch look too "blingy", too shiny to my liking. My other concern is that due to my slim wrist the 6-hour side of the bracelet has to be sized short and accurate, to prevent the watch head from rotating, and also to provide enough space for my wrist to swell on the hot summer days. For example, with the Sub-C bracelet the 6-hour side having 3 full links was too short, since it positioned the clasp too close to the watch head; but 4 full links was too long and the watch rotated around my wrist. Fortunately using 3 full links + the supplied half-link made the Sub-C perfect for my wrist. But, the Seventies doesn't seem to have a half-link in the bracelet, and I'm not sure if there's a half-link available as an optional purchase either. Judging by the photos the bracelet links look quite long, definitely longer than the Sub-C Oyster bracelet links. So it's a fifty-fifty chance if using 3 links turns out to be perfect or not. If not, then 2 links would be definitely too short, and 4 links are way too long IMHO.

That's why even though I usually prefer any steel watch on a bracelet, I'm considering getting a Seventies on rubber strap. Based on the price of the rubber strap, it's quite expensive if I had to change my mind after purchasing the watch. In case the rubber strap with the steel deployant costs USD $800, then I guess the bracelet is well over $1000. It would be quite a financial hit to pick the wrong path to reach ultimate wearing comfort :)

As for the dial colour, it would be the safest choice to pick the gray dial, but somehow the blue one is calling me I'm not a fan of lilac and purplish tone dials, but still, the blue somehow looks appealing even when IMHO it's a riskier choice.

Does anyone know if there's a half-link available for the Seventies bracelet?
The bracelet is quite thick and it costs $2000 or so. If you want it on a strap and definitely do not want the bracelet, it will be cheaper for you. I got mine on a bracelet, as I like variety. I plan to wear it on a strap.

The polished links will attract scratches and attention just like with any other watch. The bracelet adjustment mechanism is second to none and it should solve your half-link issues.
Old 15 December 2017, 02:15 AM   #16
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

bringing this thread back to life, as the blue-dial seventies simple date has caught my eye in a big way.
any current owners of this model? would love to see live wrist shots.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:54 AM   #17
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
bringing this thread back to life, as the blue-dial seventies simple date has caught my eye in a big way.
any current owners of this model? would love to see live wrist shots.
In person the blue is a LOT lighter than the 70s chrono or panolunar. It almost has a light purple hint imo.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:55 AM   #18
Ptbot01
"TRF" Member

Impression from an owner

Hello! I have the GO seventies chrono with grey dial on steel bracelet. I bought it brand new just this new year, and for the price I got, it's still a lot cheaper than a Rolex ceramic daytona. With the Rolex you probably get more brand value, but watch wise, the 70s give you a LOT more watches.

First off, let me say if you consider the 70s, I think Chrono IS the way to go. The bezel on this watch does not take up a lot of real estate like the nautilus or royal oak. So you get a LOT of watch face, so I find the non-chrono to be too plain. Secondly, the movement on the chrono is larger, and does seem to fill out the case almost entirely.

I love that it has only two subdials, instead of the usual 3 for chrono. The hour register windows is inconspicuous and keep the watch symmetrical, being a square watch, symmetry is really important. The watch is not blingy like the diamond-rimmed aquanaut that my wife has, but the sun burst dial and its white gold triangular marker really play well with the light. I dont get bored looking at it at all.

On the back, the 3-quarter plate is actually quite small. You can see the oscillator, the column wheel and the cams really well. The movement is beautiful, with some gold, blue screws and jewel. Its not Lange or Patek level, but world apart from the like or Omega or Zenith. And if you get a Rolex, forget the clear back.

Surprisingly, I use the chronograph a lot in daily life. I use it to time my parking duration, my travel time, my cooking time, etc. Unlike many other chrono, this one doesnt have screw down actuator, which mean no need to fiddle. I use it when I want too, right away.

Another BIG BIG Plus. 70hr power reserve and its indicator. I can leave this watch off the wrist for 2 full days, and its still running. It hasn't stop even once since I bought it (and I rotate this watch with a Rolex GMT). And with the indicator I only have to wind when necessary and not worry about overwinding.

The bracelet has micro-adjustment, and the great thing is you can adjust it without having to undo the clasp (unlike the Rolex). I can push and ratchet it tight or loosen it right while I wear it. Unfortunately, even with the micro adjust, its too perfect of a fit right now, i would like a bit more room, but if i put in one more link it would be too loose. But its really luck of the draw here.

I'm also salivating for the rubber strap. I love the rubber strap aquanaut. The price for rubber strap: about 200 USD. (which is cheaper than an after market rubber-B strap for Rolex: 300 USD). However, you have to pony up another 770 USD for the clasp! That's what stopping me from buying it. However, think about this. With this watch, you can have all 3 options: steel, rubber, leather in ONE MODEL and all straight from the manufacturer! You can't say the same for Rolex, Nautilus, or Royal Oak.

Here is some CONS. This watch is thick and heavy. The thickness is actually more accentuated due to the German styling (very flat side facet). Still, I have small wrist, and I think I wear it just fine. The lume on the watch is not very bright, and there is ALMOST NONE of the stuff. Its not bright at all.

Bottom line: this watch is an amazing bang per buck in term of quality you get. Its a sport watch with high-horology movement and finishing, with practical features, and if you do pay for the strap options, all the versatility you could ask for.
Ptbot01 is offline   Reply With Quote