The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2011, 05:23 PM   #121
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
To be honest......I'm not as sure as I was before. Good, but I'm not blown away. Could be the pics.

i'm with you......what a shocking difference between the catalogue pix and these other pix.

waiting on a third set of pix to see how good/blah this model really is....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 05:40 PM   #122
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
The catalog pic almost looks like they just photoshop'd the dial of the 372 onto the regular 44mm Luminor case.
it would be good if the PAM 390 is an engraved dial instead of a painted dial.

also at 3,400 Euros the PAM 390 would be one of the cheapest SE models ever. wished they could have placed the PAM 372 in a SE box which is much more appropriate.
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 09:11 PM   #123
hns_555
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & PP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post
also at 3,400 Euros the PAM 390 would be one of the cheapest SE models ever. wished they could have placed the PAM 372 in a SE box which is much more appropriate.
i think, For SE models, 3400 euros for PAM 390 almost as same as PAM 367 price when it first launched
hns_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 09:25 PM   #124
rolexcd

Watch: Daytona SS Black D
Quote:
it would be good if the PAM 390 is an engraved dial instead of a painted dial.

Agree that the PAM 390 should be engraved dial, at least with a stronger "old look" lum.

However, I would not ask for too much more due to its lower price. Ignore the recent price increases, its listed price is basically the same as the 2 China editions being 366 and 367. The differences, 390 compared with the 366 and 367, are the bigger SE box, a paper certificate and they may even throw in a screw driver and a rubber strap at the bottom of the bigger SE box in order to increase its attractiveness beside the gold hands and the pig logo at the bottom (to be confirmed). Really hope that it will be a proper brown dial as well.

I think they introduce this "not so special" SE in such a rush is not totally unexpected. The reasons I can think of are (a combination of all the below factors):-

1) A number of new boutiques have been recently opened;
2) The production numbers per model of the current year SEs will not be enough for a fair share for all such new boutiques;
3) A significant time lag for next year SEs to reach such new boutiques.

If I am right on the above, we should see the below to happen next year:-

1) The variety of "more affordable" SEs for next year will increase; and
2) The production numbers per such more affordable SEs will also increase (at least 2,000 or may be even 3,000).

If I am right again on the above, the company should have a much closer communication internally between the different departments (i.e. sales, planning, marketing, etc). Lucky that they have a fast reacting production one.

Just look at the "so-called" SEs introduced for the current year beside those previewed at the major watch shows. It really looks like they are expanding too fast and they don't have a long term vision to keep up with the growth and to maintain their "corporate identity" anymore. If that was really the case, it will be very sad and we will see another Omega or IWC very soon which no-one really care or impressed by their SEs. However, I consider that this down-grading of a brand is not easily avoidable since the company is within Richemont Group unlike independence brands like Rolex and PP. By the end of the day, max the profits is a must for a listed group.

Regardless, it will be very sad to see the rapid growth of the brand over such a short period of time to be followed by a rapid going down the hill.

I still love the brand as I really enjoy the rush to source for SEs. However, too many SEs will soon remove the "prestige" status on getting SEs. If that was the case, really creative models would need to be introduced and this would create "issues" if the products are being too creative without going through proper thinking, planning and testing.

Let see what will happen next year.
rolexcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2011, 10:49 PM   #125
leeye
"TRF" Member

just a thot that came to my mind, it would look even better if the case was pvd or dlc treated. hmmm..................
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 9 September 2011, 10:54 PM   #126
jacksonian

Quote:
just a thot that came to my mind, it would look even better if the case was pvd or dlc treated. hmmm..................
I was already thinking that yesterday, but not if it's a brown dial. I don't thing that would look quite right.

I think we were all hoping for a 44mm version of the 372, but it looks more like a base dial version of the 417. Still should be a nice watch, but more contemporary than the vintage looking 372. Definitely seems backward that the 390 is the SE and the 372 is not.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:13 AM   #127
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexcd View Post
Agree that the PAM 390 should be engraved dial, at least with a stronger "old look" lum.

However, I would not ask for too much more due to its lower price. Ignore the recent price increases, its listed price is basically the same as the 2 China editions being 366 and 367. The differences, 390 compared with the 366 and 367, are the bigger SE box, a paper certificate and they may even throw in a screw driver and a rubber strap at the bottom of the bigger SE box in order to increase its attractiveness beside the gold hands and the pig logo at the bottom (to be confirmed). Really hope that it will be a proper brown dial as well.

I think they introduce this "not so special" SE in such a rush is not totally unexpected. The reasons I can think of are (a combination of all the below factors):-

2) The production numbers per model of the current year SEs will not be enough for a fair share for all such new boutiques;

2) The production numbers per such more affordable SEs will also increase (at least 2,000 or may be even 3,000).

If I am right again on the above, the company should have a much closer communication internally between the different departments (i.e. sales, planning, marketing, etc). Lucky that they have a fast reacting production one.

Just look at the "so-called" SEs introduced for the current year beside those previewed at the major watch shows. It really looks like they are expanding too fast and they don't have a long term vision to keep up with the growth and to maintain their "corporate identity" anymore. If that was really the case, it will be very sad and we will see another Omega or IWC very soon which no-one really care or impressed by their SEs. However, I consider that this down-grading of a brand is not easily avoidable since the company is within Richemont Group unlike independence brands like Rolex and PP. By the end of the day, max the profits is a must for a listed group.

Regardless, it will be very sad to see the rapid growth of the brand over such a short period of time to be followed by a rapid going down the hill.

I still love the brand as I really enjoy the rush to source for SEs. However, too many SEs will soon remove the "prestige" status on getting SEs. If that was the case, really creative models would need to be introduced and this would create "issues" if the products are being too creative without going through proper thinking, planning and testing.

I agree with many of your points here. Let's hope they don't go SE crazy, especially at "lower" price points for where they seem to be going.
Old 10 September 2011, 01:15 AM   #128
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I agree with many of your points here. Let's hope they don't go SE crazy, especially at "lower" price points for where they seem to be going.
Yup, aren't they doing research from AP?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 01:27 AM   #129
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexcd View Post

Nice post Anthony and I agree as well...let see what the future holds..

I will try to take some good photos next week at the LA Panerai event...
Old 10 September 2011, 01:48 AM   #130
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
If your concern is future value of these watches, I certainly appreciate your point. From my standpoint, being a recent convert to Panerai, I love these new, lower priced SE's. I picked up a 416 at the BH Boutique and this watch screams to me everything that is Panerai and to top it off, at a very affordable price. There were Pams that were considerably more expensive and for good very good reason but I would have bought this watch over all of them even if price wasn't a factor because of its design and classic look.

Panerai has spent years building its brand and finally, the masses are more and more aware of it........the word has spread. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making great looking watches, at a lower price point to bring more people to the brand. This is no way will devalue the older SE.....probably just add to the interest price and uniqueness of them.

Just because Panerai has decided to call these newer, lower priced watches "Special Editions" doesn't really make them so. You could actually view them more as entry level Pams.

Just my two cents............
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 03:24 AM   #131
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I think the watch looks great!! I sold my PAM00232 earlier this year and have regretted it, getting my name down on one of these is perfect for me as it has a similar dial to the 232 but better size for me and has the locking crown guard which I love.

Can't wait for my phonecall!!!!
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 04:11 AM   #132
gameson
"TRF" Member

combo this with a 232 would be super awesome!
gameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 11:45 AM   #133
leeye
"TRF" Member

Here is a snap shot of the catalog pic showing the pig sub engraved on the back case (same pic on WUS and P.com).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAM 390_1.jpg (113.4 KB, 274 views)
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 10 September 2011, 04:57 PM   #134
Fearsome Puppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Just put my name down for a 390...
Old 10 September 2011, 07:59 PM   #135
rolexcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
Nice post Anthony and I agree as well...let see what the future holds..

I will try to take some good photos next week at the LA Panerai event...
Phil, looking forward to your photos and hope that the colour of the Lum is more interesting.
Old 10 September 2011, 08:01 PM   #136
rolexcd

[QUOTE=ocwatching;2727642]Nice post Anthony and I agree as well...let see what the future holds..

I will try to take some good photos next week at the LA Paneraindecent...

And the dial is actually brownish.
Old 11 September 2011, 04:44 AM   #137
Reneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS-T<25
Stunning...
Reneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2011, 10:54 AM   #138
jtabs
"TRF" Member

nice!
jtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2011, 12:09 PM   #139
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I think the brown dial is really smart.. along with gold hands.. really nails it! I can not wait to see one live..

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2011, 11:56 PM   #140
leeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was already thinking that yesterday, but not if it's a brown dial. I don't thing that would look quite right.

I think we were all hoping for a 44mm version of the 372, but it looks more like a base dial version of the 417. Still should be a nice watch, but more contemporary than the vintage looking 372. Definitely seems backward that the 390 is the SE and the 372 is not.
i really think a pvd or dlc case with the brown dial would be ideal. why do i say this? i relook at the new 2011 catalog and the PAM 386 does come with a similar brown dial and the PAM 390 gold hands would make it really stand out.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 12 September 2011, 01:45 PM   #141
ancs88

On the list too!!!
ancs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 05:28 PM   #142
dy4

Hi all,
as an newbie i have been reading here a bit. So hello everybody.
Does anybody have an idea when the 386 will be released and what the price will be? Like Lee i also think the brown and pvd/dlc will be an incredible combination. But it's a matter of taste off course.
David
dy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 10:14 PM   #143
Ugog
"TRF" Member

well i put myself on a waiting list (390) last week and I will be in Milan for business next Mon-Weds - if it is available in the boutique ill pick one up if not Ill take some pics of the 2011 models (if they have any)
Ugog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 10:14 PM   #144
jacksonian

Quote:
i really think a pvd or dlc case with the brown dial would be ideal. why do i say this? i relook at the new 2011 catalog and the PAM 386 does come with a similar brown dial and the PAM 390 gold hands would make it really stand out.
I get the 386 brown dial with brown case. I'm just not sure how the brown dial with PVD (gray) case would look. I'd have to see it.
Old 12 September 2011, 10:17 PM   #145
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy4 View Post
Hi all,
as an newbie i have been reading here a bit. So hello everybody.
Does anybody have an idea when the 386 will be released and what the price will be? Like Lee i also think the brown and pvd/dlc will be an incredible combination. But it's a matter of taste off course.
David
No one knows exactly when the 386 will be out. It could be next month or it could be next summer. It tok them over 18 months to get the 339 out in any significant numbers. It will MSRP for $10,400 USD, not sure about EU pricing but I believe that list is around here somewhere.
Old 13 September 2011, 06:42 AM   #146
dy4

tx jacksonian. If i read correctly it will not be a limited edition, so also no problem to buy probably. I just see the watch pop up in pic's from time to time. A few days ago on paneristi i saw it in someones collection. I don't understand how that can be if it's not available yet.
I have time :-)
Old 13 September 2011, 07:54 AM   #147
jacksonian

Quote:
tx jacksonian. If i read correctly it will not be a limited edition, so also no problem to buy probably. I just see the watch pop up in pic's from time to time. A few days ago on paneristi i saw it in someones collection. I don't understand how that can be if it's not available yet.
I have time :-)
Correct, 386 will be regular production. It may be hard to find for a while as they roll out slowly, so be patient. If you think you want one, it would be a good idea to go ahead and contact an AD and get on their list. If you've seen pics on Paneristi, they were from someone viewing the 2011 collection demo models at a boutique. Here's one I took when I saw the collection this spring at my AD.

Old 13 September 2011, 12:57 PM   #148
leeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct, 386 will be regular production. It may be hard to find for a while as they roll out slowly, so be patient. If you think you want one, it would be a good idea to go ahead and contact an AD and get on their list. If you've seen pics on Paneristi, they were from someone viewing the 2011 collection demo models at a boutique. Here's one I took when I saw the collection this spring at my AD.

the case does appear more black as compared to brownish tone. also the green lume on the dial and hands on the demo model are different as the cream lume on Panerai's pics.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 13 September 2011, 05:01 PM   #149
dy4

Still think it does look great :-). Tx for the pic. I am gonna contact an AD to hear if they have a list.
The limited edition from the 390 in black is also incredible, but probably a lot more difficult to get and much more expensive. Is there a price known of it?
David
Old 13 September 2011, 11:01 PM   #150
jacksonian

Quote:
Still think it does look great :-). Tx for the pic. I am gonna contact an AD to hear if they have a list.
The limited edition from the 390 in black is also incredible, but probably a lot more difficult to get and much more expensive. Is there a price known of it?
David
Not sure I understand you. The 390 is all polished stainless steel, not black. It's going to be less expensive at $4800 USD. Look back up to post #133 above to see the catalog pictures of it.