The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 January 2018, 01:00 PM   #1
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Need your help to evaluate this Root Beer GMTII 16713

Hello TRF!

I finally figured out I have posted my last post to a wrong discussion board so I am reposting it here....

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a very long time on TRF to build up my knowledge on watches.
I am in my mid 20s and have finally saved up enough money, after meeting all my priorities, for a 16713 Root Beer. I will get the watch in the next few days and will be posting more pictures. I plan to give this to my father for his up coming birthday. He has been wanting a X serial (my birth year) Root Beer all his life but every time he had his chance to get the watch, he chose to spend the money on us. He is still holding on the 16713 Root Beer paper cut out I made for him when I was a kid so I know how much he wants that watch.
In a few days I will finally get the watch. I am planning to get it to a watch maker who has a Rolex account to look at the watch. In the meantime, I am pleading the wise men of TRF for help and give me your opinions. The resolution of the pictures are not great and sometimes overblown, but please do your best to tell me if there are any red flags you see.
Also I am hoping to get your opinion if the watch has been over polished and do you think I should get it polished and get a new bezel insert?

Thank you so much for your help! I promise you I will repay TRF with lots of interesting stories!

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome here!
What a great story and what a great daughter you are.
I wouldn't do anything other than a full service on the movement. Visually I think you have a very nice watch picked out for your father and I'm sure he will be blown away. I hope he wears it proudly for many years to come.
Well done!
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by franks07 View Post
welcome here!
I wouldn't do anything other than a full service on the movement. Visually i think you have a very nice watch picked out for your father and i'm sure he will be blown away. I hope he wears it proudly for many years to come.
Well done!
x2
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 02:24 PM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Beautiful piece, you don’t see these very often.

I am sure he will love it, and will know how much he means to you with such a great gift.

It’s awesome that you kept the will to find the watch over the years.

Priceless
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 04:31 PM   #5
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks07 View Post
Welcome here!
I wouldn't do anything other than a full service on the movement. Visually I think you have a very nice watch picked out for your father and I'm sure he will be blown away. I hope he wears it proudly for many years to come.
Well done!

Thank you so much for your kind words and your advise! It's really nerve wrecking for me buying this watch given my knowledge is so limited.
Words from experts like you is the most calming thing I have all day.
Old 24 January 2018, 04:52 PM   #6
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Beautiful piece, you don’t see these very often.

I am sure he will love it, and will know how much he means to you with such a great gift.

It’s awesome that you kept the will to find the watch over the years.

Priceless

I guess it is the guilt of me as a child kept asking for things I did not need and not knowing his sacrifices.
I haven't seen him wearing a watch after he gave me his AirKing as a graduation gift.

Old 24 January 2018, 04:54 PM   #7
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
SO COOL! What a great gesture, love hearing stories like this. Let us know how he reacts when he receives it!
Old 25 January 2018, 02:30 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Great story, and great gift. Thanks for sharing and please let us know how the gifting goes. As for what to do before you give it to him, as others have observed -just the movement, change nothing -its a great piece.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 04:17 AM   #9
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I think that’s a wonderful idea. The watch has definitely been polished a few times, but not overly so, and the case has many more years of life. Im going to go against the grain and say take it to Rolex and I would ask for a service, new insert, and I would opt for their case refinishing. They do a great job and the watch will come back looking like new ready for wear.

On this forum the importance of part originality and “unpolished” cases is stressed, but IMO this is only best for watch collectors. Your father sounds like the kind of man who isn’t going to sell this down the road, so whatever perceived value of keeping this watch “original” is a bit of a wash. I think it would be nice to be able to gift him a piece that he can scratch up
With his own memories.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 25 January 2018, 04:22 AM   #10
River
"TRF" Member

What a great gesture.

River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 05:19 AM   #11
rrlx
"TRF" Member

Beautiful.

Polished, but generally a great looking watch and he will LOVE it
rrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 05:26 AM   #12
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
What a great gesture. Thanks for brightening my day.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 01:52 PM   #13
KateB
"TRF" Member

After five long days of waiting, the box finally arrived this afternoon! My hands were literally shaking when my cousin hand over the box to me. It really is the most expensive item I have purchased.

I would like to ask the wise men of TRF for help again to see if there is any red flag you see in this watch.

Also I have a question about the warranty certificate:

The warranty certificate serial number matches with the watch case but does not have purchaser and the purchase date filled out. Should I be concerned?

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Old 26 January 2018, 02:06 PM   #14
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

nice work congrats
Old 30 January 2018, 02:03 PM   #15
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
No, don't be concerned about lack of names.

No red flags ..........................
Old 31 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #16
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

That is a beautiful watch and such an awesome gesture. Your dad is a lucky guy and obviously did a great job raising a terrific daughter. Please let us know how the presentation goes.
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 10:01 AM   #17
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

We need to see a wrist shot on your dad's wrist. I'll bet he gets a bit emotional when you present the beautiful watch to him...I know I would!
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 10:13 AM   #18
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I love this thread. Such an awesome gesture.

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Canefan1
Banned

That RB is
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 05:34 PM   #20
KateB
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for continuing to help me out and your kind words! My cousin dropped off the watch to the watchmaker last week. Luckily the movement is in good shape and just need services. Not sure how long will that take but hopefully it will make it for my father's birthday. For sure I'll take lots of wrist shots for him.

Old 25 February 2018, 11:18 PM   #21
KateB
"TRF" Member

My apologies for asking similar questions... but my mind is torn after reading so many nice restored examples such as emersm's restored Red Sub. The bevels on that restored watch and also Springer's first year GMT II are drop dead gorgeous.
I understand re polish job may kill the watch if not done correctly. So I'm hoping to ask for the experts opinion about a "light polish"? Can a light polish restore the brushed finish on the case and bracelet that now seemed smooth and shiny on some spots? Do you think this watch can survive a light polish now and a refinish job in the future should my father desire to buff out the scratches? Thank you so much in advance

Old 27 February 2018, 10:51 AM   #22
fosbibr
"TRF" Member

Great watch and very nice present!!! There's something special about a root beer. My wife got me a similar one for our wedding.
fosbibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 11:58 AM   #23
brand_c
"TRF" Member

Faith is humanity restored. Thanks for sharing this lovely story. Maybe even get a nice leather strap for him to swap it out from time to time. Should be easy for him to do so with the holes case.
brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 04:08 PM   #24
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Great watch and happy to see some recent love on TRF :)
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 01:01 AM   #25
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
My apologies for asking similar questions... but my mind is torn after reading so many nice restored examples such as emersm's restored Red Sub. The bevels on that restored watch and also Springer's first year GMT II are drop dead gorgeous.
I understand re polish job may kill the watch if not done correctly. So I'm hoping to ask for the experts opinion about a "light polish"? Can a light polish restore the brushed finish on the case and bracelet that now seemed smooth and shiny on some spots? Do you think this watch can survive a light polish now and a refinish job in the future should my father desire to buff out the scratches? Thank you so much in advance

I was going to say that I am with Colin on the polishing and to have it done by Rolex...but then I thought about what I would want if my daughters bought me a used Rolex....I would want it left as is. The scratches are part of the charm and character.

If he is a guy who doesn't care about those things then make it look new.

If he appreciates the charm of vintage things...don't have it polished.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:31 AM   #26
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
Fabulous story that put a smile on my face. Subscribed and can't wait to hear how the presentation goes! When is that planned for?

Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 03:03 PM   #27
KateB
"TRF" Member

Thank you all again for your advices, your kind words, and your continued patience for my ignorance. Also, thank you for letting me hangout here on the Vintage Discussion board. I just realized this watch does not really qualified as a vintage piece but everyone here are so welcoming.
I have learnt so much here!

Old 28 February 2018, 03:12 PM   #28
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
I was going to say that I am with Colin on the polishing and to have it done by Rolex...but then I thought about what I would want if my daughters bought me a used Rolex....I would want it left as is. The scratches are part of the charm and character.

If he is a guy who doesn't care about those things then make it look new.

If he appreciates the charm of vintage things...don't have it polished.

Thank you so much sir! Your perspectives freed my mind. I really should let my dad choose what he wants! Thank you thank you

Old 28 February 2018, 03:22 PM   #29
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosbibr View Post
Great watch and very nice present!!! There's something special about a root beer. My wife got me a similar one for our wedding.

Thank you so much. Indeed I found the Root Beer very romantic...

Old 25 March 2018, 05:51 PM   #30
KateB
"TRF" Member

Dear TRF,

After a few long weeks, the watch finally came back earlier this week, just in time for my dad's birthday. I oped to have just the crown and insert replaced and will let my dad decide for himself whether to have it polished or not.

I went back to my parents' home a day before dad's birthday to help mom prepare and spend time with them. While they went out to pick up my little sister, I managed to take some pictures of the watch before wrapping it up.

The piano in the background has a lot of sentimental value to me and is the reason my dad gave up getting the Root Beer GMT the first time. I still remember vividly going to the jewelry store with him to look at the watch and he told the manager he need sometime to think about it. A week later this piano showed up in our house instead. I was so happy and never stopped playing. Looking back I can feel how heart broken he was when I told him I don't want to go to music school anymore.
Now years after, this watch finally show up here along with a personalized gift. I was struggling what to write and I finally settled with TRF's favorite line - "Wear it in good health". Nothing matters more now than my parents living a happy and healthy live.

I woke up extra early yesterday morning but mom and dad are already up and making breakfast. I hurried my little sis to get out of bed. It felt so strange yet warm because this is exactly what we did when we were kids. Mom and Dad were always up early and I would be the one waking my sis up and getting her ready for school.
After breakfast, mom and sis gave dad their birthday presents and mine was last. When dad opened the box and saw the Root Beer, he closed his eyes for a moment with a smile and said, "Well, I have always wanted something nice that I can pass on to my children. Now I have one." "No dad, you gave me your watch!" I said while showing him the Air King on my wrist (On the day I started my first job, 4 days after my graduation if I remember correctly, my dad drove me to work. Just before I got out the car, he took off his Air King and gave it to me as my graduation gift. A very humble Air King 14000 but very precious to me. This Air king never left my wrist since that day.)
After giving it a good wind, dad put on the Rolex. It looks great on him! He gave me a big hug and I said "Happy Birthday Daddy". He went back to his room for a few minutes and came out with a small jewelry box. I immediately recognized that box. He opened it and inside is the Root Beer GMT paper cutout I made for him. He asked me, "which one should I wear tonight?"
And I answered,

"This!"

Thank you so much TRF for hearing my story and your guidance.