The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2018, 01:56 PM   #1
jemh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 6263 Daytona
Didn't realize what I might have

I have had Daytona 6263 Big Red for years but was not aware of it's potential value. So I'm trying to get a bit educated here. From the research I've done online it looks like it was made in 1979. It is a 6263, I have the box and paper and all the little books it came with. So as far as I know it's legit. I was a graduation gift. White face, black dials and bezel and does have the red Daytona writing above the hour dial. I've heard it could be worth quite a bit.

First question: I didn't wear it a lot because I tend to beat up watches and didn't want it damaged but I remember that when I wound it, it eventually would stop and now it seems to wind and wind and it also seems to only run about 13 hours before it stops. Should winding it eventually come to a stop?

I'm sending it to Rolex through the Dealer where I live to have it looked at and when I showed him the watch he was like Wow that's a nice piece. So I'm waiting to see if it needs to be worked on and checking on authenticity. I've read a few different things on it that it might be better to not use Rolex for repairs. So I'm not sure if I should go ahead with any repairs with them or not and possibly reduce the value of the watch (r.e. non original parts, no polishing) things I would like to know before I have to make a decision on going ahead with repairs.

Isn't a working Rolex worth more than a non working one with original parts?

I did get some water in it years ago and did have it fixed at Rolex

When I was talking with the dealer he said it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. How can I find out what it actually might be worth if it is the real deal?

When Rolex checks authenticity is there any documentation I should ask for?

I probably with have more questions the more I learn. I've always liked Rolex watches but don't know if I would have ever owned one if I hadn't received it as a gift, I don't know, never thought about since I've had this.

I has been in drawer in the box most of the time I have owned it but I do enjoy wearing it but feel very nervous if it is worth what I have been reading what it might be worth.

Any help/direction would be much appreciated, thanks Joe
jemh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:44 PM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

One 6263 sold on eBay for 65k and was a 1985.
Pics would be infinitely helpful for quality feedback!
dhknola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 03:02 PM   #3
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Hugely valuable piece. Don’t do anything with it until you know exactly what you have. I’m sure you’re getting flooded in private message with offers to buy. Post up some pics so we can give you some direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:48 PM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I love the comment from the dealer about value. Not nice to say it’s worth what you can get.
You have to do your own research to find similar past auction sales. Some old watch dealer isn’t going tell you that your old watch is comparably valued to a Porsche. There is a lotto ticket factor in selling it because it’s in huge demand.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 06:08 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex is perfectly capable in ruining rare watches by replacing dial and hands etc. An independent would be a safer bet to restore your watch with respect for its originality. LAWW comes to mind.

If it runs or not is not really interesting as long as it is not corrosion welded. Value is not in the mechanics but much more in the dial and case
Old 22 February 2018, 06:36 PM   #6
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Hey Joe I wouldn't send it to Rolex not just yet. If you have the original box and papers that authentication enough. I would have one of the preferred independent shops service it but do not replace any of the original parts (dial, hands, bezel, etc).
Old 24 February 2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemh View Post
I have had Daytona 6263 Big Red for years but was not aware of it's potential value. So I'm trying to get a bit educated here. From the research I've done online it looks like it was made in 1979. It is a 6263, I have the box and paper and all the little books it came with. So as far as I know it's legit. I was a graduation gift. White face, black dials and bezel and does have the red Daytona writing above the hour dial. I've heard it could be worth quite a bit.

First question: I didn't wear it a lot because I tend to beat up watches and didn't want it damaged but I remember that when I wound it, it eventually would stop and now it seems to wind and wind and it also seems to only run about 13 hours before it stops. Should winding it eventually come to a stop?

I'm sending it to Rolex through the Dealer where I live to have it looked at and when I showed him the watch he was like Wow that's a nice piece. So I'm waiting to see if it needs to be worked on and checking on authenticity. I've read a few different things on it that it might be better to not use Rolex for repairs. So I'm not sure if I should go ahead with any repairs with them or not and possibly reduce the value of the watch (r.e. non original parts, no polishing) things I would like to know before I have to make a decision on going ahead with repairs.

Isn't a working Rolex worth more than a non working one with original parts?

I did get some water in it years ago and did have it fixed at Rolex

When I was talking with the dealer he said it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. How can I find out what it actually might be worth if it is the real deal?

When Rolex checks authenticity is there any documentation I should ask for?

I probably with have more questions the more I learn. I've always liked Rolex watches but don't know if I would have ever owned one if I hadn't received it as a gift, I don't know, never thought about since I've had this.

I has been in drawer in the box most of the time I have owned it but I do enjoy wearing it but feel very nervous if it is worth what I have been reading what it might be worth.

Any help/direction would be much appreciated, thanks Joe
That’s my birth year watch... Will sell for good money with box and papers. I know European Watch Co. in Boston just recently sold a black dial from 1978 for $93k...
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote