The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2020, 12:12 PM   #1
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Buy now or die waiting

Here is my problem. I have never been to an AD. I just started buying Rolex late 2018/early 2019 and I'm 69 years old. Initially I contacted every AD within 90 miles and was told either maybe in a few years I might be able to buy one or none were available and I even ask to be put on a list to no avail ie no real selling by going down the list to the next person. One dealer did say I could put some money down on one but they couldn't guarantee a watch would ever come in and had no policy in place as to refunding my money even if the watch didn't come in within 24 months. Then I heard somebody say they had to wait 10 years for their AD to get a Daytona in for them So far I have purchased only from G.M. or Watchbox pre-owned. Oh, the pre-owned came with 4 1/2 years left of the factory warranty, most likely flipped. And to top it all off I am 69 years old...All the AD's in Ohio are like the rest of the country, they have their established customers, of which I am not. Or they just don't have any Rolex's that I want. Here's what I have in mind, almost any of the steel ones except the Yacht Dweller. So I ask again, what are my options? I can only think of either Grey Market or Pre-Owned ie flipped. What would you do in my shoes? And I'm ok paying what I have to. I failed to mention there is one AD about an hour away who gave me some hope when I called about the 2020 ones and he said he might call me if an OP in the color I ask about came in, so I am optimistic at least with one Rolex Authorized Dealer to go to...just have to wait, don't think it will be too long as we had a good talk.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:40 PM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Check out DavidSW.com
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:44 PM   #3
calebb90
Banned

Life’s short. Be very sure about what you want, then pay the premium and enjoy the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Life’s short. Be very sure about what you want, then pay the premium and enjoy the hell out of it.

+1
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:48 PM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

69 is not old by todays standards, if you are healthy you have a long way to go.
Try to get on a list or visit a few AD’s and try to get on their list. Be patient and do not pay these crazy premiums. I saw a thread today that someone paid $20,9K for a new Sub. That person must have a lot of money to throw it away like that. Don’t pay these crazy prices. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:52 PM   #6
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
If I was 69, I would buy anything I wanted as long as I could afford to.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 12:53 PM   #7
wrx04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post

I concur. You only live once and tomorrow is guaranteed to nobody. If you want it, can afford it, go and get it....now. Its only money.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:00 PM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

I am basically in the same boat as you, only I am 70. I learned two things as I was aging. First is I don't buy extended warranties any more and secondly, I don't do wait lists. Contact DavidSW and enjoy your new watch every day!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Holishi
"TRF" Member

Let’s say you already travelled the world and get to 100. Rather than waste 20k on a reseller an AD supports for FOMO, why not travel the world with that money and treat your family and friends to champagne and caviar for good memories as YOLO
Holishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:08 PM   #10
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holishi View Post
Let’s say you already travelled the world and get to 100. Rather than waste 20k on a reseller an AD supports for FOMO, why not travel the world with that money and treat your family and friends to champagne and caviar for good memories as YOLO
Not everyone enjoys doing that and he may not and $20k doesn't get you far these days.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:12 PM   #11
pav1987
"TRF" Member

Buy it from a grey, wear it, and enjoy it.
pav1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:15 PM   #12
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holishi View Post
This, and go on the list with the OP AD for a new OP, and one of the attainable SS Sports models like a Z Blue, Air King, or an Explorer II. Why not a DJ41. 69 is not very old if you are healthy, start developing history, no sense in paying more than double to grey for a Daytona, you have min 20 more years to go .
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:23 PM   #13
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
Here is my problem. I have never been to an AD. I just started buying Rolex late 2018/early 2019 and I'm 69 years old. Initially I contacted every AD within 90 miles and was told either maybe in a few years I might be able to buy one or none were available and I even ask to be put on a list to no avail ie no real selling by going down the list to the next person. One dealer did say I could put some money down on one but they couldn't guarantee a watch would ever come in and had no policy in place as to refunding my money even if the watch didn't come in within 24 months. Then I heard somebody say they had to wait 10 years for their AD to get a Daytona in for them So far I have purchased only from G.M. or Watchbox pre-owned. Oh, the pre-owned came with 4 1/2 years left of the factory warranty, most likely flipped. And to top it all off I am 69 years old...All the AD's in Ohio are like the rest of the country, they have their established customers, of which I am not. Or they just don't have any Rolex's that I want. Here's what I have in mind, almost any of the steel ones except the Yacht Dweller. So I ask again, what are my options? I can only think of either Grey Market or Pre-Owned ie flipped. What would you do in my shoes? And I'm ok paying what I have to. I failed to mention there is one AD about an hour away who gave me some hope when I called about the 2020 ones and he said he might call me if an OP in the color I ask about came in, so I am optimistic at least with one Rolex Authorized Dealer to go to...just have to wait, don't think it will be too long as we had a good talk.
If paying whatever it takes now to whomever to get exactly what you want won't affect your life for the next 20 years, just do it.

From the Social Security Administration's calculations, if you're 70 today, you have about 1/3 chance of making it to 90.

https://www.businessinsider.com/soci...-charts-2014-3

I'm also statistically closer to death than birth, and each year, how I look at money vs enjoyment and time changes.

Really, at this age, YOLO if you can afford it is actually sensible.
Vs the millennials, and some in their 40's, who have nothing saved and are trying to keep up with the Joneses on Facebook and Instagram.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 01:47 PM   #14
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Suggest you visit in person the AD you said may get you something from the 2020 new models before giving money to the grey sellers for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
You didn't mention which reference you would like to have. Since you called every AD within 90 miles you obviously are looking for something that is wait listed, on allocation and / or reserved for VIP clients. As others have mentioned, just go to trusted sellers here and many established resellers across the country sell Rolex pre owned, and buy the watch you want today and don't wait. Another strategy is if you have money to spend, go to your local AD and become a client. Buy a Full gold Day Date, Daytona, or Submariner, and ask to also purchase the watch you want. If you don't get the watch you want, you then sell, the precious metal watch at a loss, and buy another watch from the same AD . Something that you could enjoy and again ask for the watch that you really want. Repeat this buying and selling cycle with the AD until you get what you want, or just get the watch tomorrow from the secondary market.
Old 6 September 2020, 02:57 PM   #16
peterpl
Banned

At your age life is too short. Just buy what you want from a gray dealer and enjoy it.

If you were 30 years old well that advice might be slightly different.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:44 PM   #17
JSL420
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I will not ever pay premium for a 2nd hand watch, what’s the point?
If you’re buying vintage it’s a different story
There are plenty of good watches out there
JSL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:10 PM   #18
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Dont wait, shop around!

OP should not be hard to get.
Old 6 September 2020, 07:59 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Which reference are you looking for ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 08:16 PM   #20
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think when you are younger and have a mortgage, or young family to support, or both the two important questions are:

1. Can I afford it?
2. Do I need it?

I think for you it’s:

1. Can I afford it?
2. Do I want it?

Only you know the answers - if it’s yes to both, then just go for it.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 08:43 PM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
One dealer did say I could put some money down on one but they couldn't guarantee a watch would ever come in and had no policy in place as to refunding my money even if the watch didn't come in within 24 months.
Well, at least you now know who never to do business with!

My first Rolex purchase was from my local AD in early 2018. Although we have been using them for other brands and goods for much longer. There were two models I came to want but couldn't get listed for (at any AD), so I went grey.

There are dozens of watches that I like but wouldn't dream of buying new unless well under MSRP. Over time, what you spend and what you save tends to balance out somewhat (but probably never completely). There is one remaining Rolex that I want which I will not be able to buy for a discount and which has a sky high grey premium. I'd like to own it very much but I don't love it so much that I frequently think about it and wish I had it. For me, this level of desire is not enough to make me pay more than MSRP.

Your mileage may vary. Whatever your tipping point is, if you have the resources and want it bad enough to own it next week, then pay what you have to pay.

I'm in the UK. I can't speak for the situation in Earth (wherever that is). Golden rule - always buy the seller first.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 08:57 PM   #22
UK_
"TRF" Member

There is no point phoning them at all.

Go in to one, and ask for a DJ, Airking or OP, you will get one soon.

But dont as for ‘any SS’

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 09:32 PM   #23
Pam673
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I hate inflated price and the limited supply bundle backdoor shit but here is the thing for you...

The best outcome in your situation is not buying your beloved watch at the cheapest price in the unforeseeable future. No, totally not at all!

The best outcome is that you get to enjoy your beloved watch for the longest amount of time! That is a win.

Think along this path and your will find your answer.
Pam673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 09:37 PM   #24
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam673 View Post
I hate inflated price and the limited supply bundle backdoor shit but here is the thing for you...

The best outcome in your situation is not buying your beloved watch at the cheapest price in the unforeseeable future. No, totally not at all!

The best outcome is that you get to enjoy your beloved watch for the longest amount of time! That is a win.

Think along this path and your will find your answer.

That sounds like really good advice.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:17 PM   #25
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Get on the list for the Explorer or Explorer II from as many ADs as you can contact. They are not Terribly popular watches right now and they are super icons and great value. Or pay a small premium and go preowned at TRF trusted sellers like David SW. You’ve earned it so enjoy
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would call DavidSW and discuss with him your situation and what you are thinking as far as purchases. He is very responsive and will provide you with straight information. If you have never had some of these watches on your wrist and the AD route is not an option then I might take a short vacation to Orlando and go to Davids brick and mortar store. It looks nice and you can try everything on and decide. I would have an appointment. Buy what you like and get on with the ownership experience. Good luck.

Last edited by 1William; 6 September 2020 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:31 PM   #27
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
Reach out to TAKUYA,
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:34 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

If the reference is worth the gray price to you, then that’s the route I’d go
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:38 PM   #29
THC

Watch: 16610M
Ya beat me Brian.. Welcome indeed to TRF, sir. I am in the “if you have the means, then buy now” camp. People were decrying 15k for a hulk not too long ago, so whatever you pay may be a bargain in a few years the way all this is currently going.

What model are you considering ( you may get better answers ) ?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:45 PM   #30
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

at 69 the bigger question is, are you finished playing games? even with yourself?

If it has to be Rolex because it's all you truly want and really love....then unfortunately the reality of the situation is established, and the current prices are upsetting, but unavoidable for the most part...no one here has a 'life-hack' that will circumvent reality.

So basically you're asking us if you should buy a watch at the price for which it is selling.. try inserting any other object into that sentence and say it out loud.

If you're going to spend 20k+ on a Daytona (for example) - and no other amazing values from other brands at 20k+ (after discounts/grey) motivate you (a full gold IWC perpetual calendar for example) ... then just buy it! if it makes you feel better - think about it this way... even those who paid MSRP really didn't - they established a relationship with their dealer paying full price for things that many many of us bought for discounts elsewhere (jewelry, Submariners, DDs, GMTs and Datejusts from DSW, long before the 'crazy-times' -- take all the thousands sacrificed in discounts over those years, and apply it to the current MSRP, and most people are probably even..)

If you're 69, and still care what others think, and define yourself by the Logo of the watch on your wrist, then there are bigger issues here than grey market trends..

Just be honest with yourself, because you are asking a question that really only you can answer.

Tags
advice sought , opinions