The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 April 2024, 01:46 PM   #1
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
Omega Ed White 321

I was offered a fairly used 2020 Omega 321 with negligible premium compared to current MSRP. The watch condition is comparable to brand new.
Have researched and read so much on the history and the manufacturing process of this beautiful watch. Compared to the Daytona, I think the whole package is so much more and better.

So my question is, why is this watch trading at such low premium? It's not a limited edition but still a limited production watch per year given the capacity. There seems to be no love for this great watch. What am I missing here?

Would love to hear your thoughts as this is my first Omega purchase. TIA
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:14 PM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak207 View Post
I was offered a fairly used 2020 Omega 321 with negligible premium compared to current MSRP. The watch condition is comparable to brand new.
Have researched and read so much on the history and the manufacturing process of this beautiful watch. Compared to the Daytona, I think the whole package is so much more and better.

So my question is, why is this watch trading at such low premium? It's not a limited edition but still a limited production watch per year given the capacity. There seems to be no love for this great watch. What am I missing here?

Would love to hear your thoughts as this is my first Omega purchase. TIA
Doesn't command a big premium because
1. It's not a Rolex Daytona
2. It's too similar to every other Speedy Pro. Only other watch geeks would know what it is.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:59 PM   #3
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
It's a beautiful watch, but with less to differentiate it from other Speedmaster chronographs. It's also part of Omega and part of Swatch.

The Daytona is Rolex's chronograph and has had decades of brand equity and desirability.

There are many limited production watches that take a hit after becoming used. This is the case for many a Patek Calatrava or Lange Saxonia and those are also produced in small quantities and hand finished and assembled.

The 321 will likely appreciate in value over time to a modest degree, maybe akin to something like a black dial Explorer II.
321Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:00 PM   #4
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
2. It's too similar to every other Speedy Pro. Only other watch geeks would know what it is.
I agree with #1. It's not a Rolex Daytona...which means its not plastered all over social media.

I disagree with #2. I think it looks very different from every other Speedy. Even my casual watch friends that only know Subs and Speedy have all immediately noticed my 321 and been wowed by it. Attached a recent picture at the OB, my 321 nestled between 2 beautiful moonshine speedys....

I think we should all be grateful sometimes that not all watches in this hobby got sucked into the Hype machine (I'm looking at you Snoopy 3).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedytrio.jpg (103.7 KB, 295 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:56 PM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
I agree with #1. It's not a Rolex Daytona...which means its not plastered all over social media.

I disagree with #2. I think it looks very different from every other Speedy. Even my casual watch friends that only know Subs and Speedy have all immediately noticed my 321 and been wowed by it. Attached a recent picture at the OB, my 321 nestled between 2 beautiful moonshine speedys....

I think we should all be grateful sometimes that not all watches in this hobby got sucked into the Hype machine (I'm looking at you Snoopy 3).
If you're posting on TRF, then you're a watch geek who can easily tell the difference between an EW321 and a regular Speedy Pro. Most watch buyers aren't like us who can appreciate what the EW321 represents.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:00 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The 321 is a cool watch but for the money there are so many other Speedmasters out there. I like the watch but would not consider paying retail or any more for the watch. The updated 3861 is the one for me and my 1861. To each their own.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:15 PM   #7
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This pretty much sums it up, the watch commanded a premium up until now and is trading at MSRP. Its a beautiful piece and a great time to buy it!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Approved
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 10:16 PM   #9
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you're posting on TRF, then you're a watch geek who can easily tell the difference between an EW321 and a regular Speedy Pro. Most watch buyers aren't like us who can appreciate what the EW321 represents.
You are absolutely correct....none of my friends understand the importance of the 321, they just know it looks amazing....but they also were blown away when I told them price, and even more blown away when I told them how much Daytona's are going for on the secondary market
Old 16 April 2024, 10:38 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The whole appeal to some of the 321 is that to non watch folks, it looks like just about any other Speedy

To the WIS they are next level and grail worthy.

Much has been made of the price proposition compared to the Daytona …

You either buy into the historical significance, double hand assembled process, the Lemania based 321 movement etc etc etc or you don’t.

I think it’s a wonderful reference and worth every penny

If you haven’t already read them …

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=803054

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=846386
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 10:47 PM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Omega releases too many Speedmasters. Look at how many Daytonas are on the market now and then compare to the Speedmaster variants.

I got the 57 anniversary LTD and like most brands they later release a very similar non-LTD without the fake patina.

It’s good from the standpoint that if you miss out on something there’s another one on the way, but bad if you think you’re getting something really limited that has long term potential.

The modern 321 nobody knows how many they’re producing but the run has clearly been long enough to satisfy demand if they’re selling for near MSRP on the secondary.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 10:59 PM   #12
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I remember when watch collecting used to be about this:

Too much focus on what value a watch will fetch. If the OP is serious about being interested in the 321, then all that matters is the actual 321. That’s what this piece is about. I mean, just look at it! I do all the time. The rest of the watch slaughters the regular Speedmaster as well.

As for comparison to the Daytona, the 321 is just a superior watch on all levels except water resistance and hype (which to me is a bonus). I had both, I no longer have the Daytona. Nor a desire for it any longer. The Daytona is miss represented as a special watch because it’s hard to get a retail and the hype/market. The 321 Speedy IS a special watch. Period.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 11:43 PM   #13
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The whole appeal to some of the 321 is that to non watch folks, it looks like just about any other Speedy

You either buy into the historical significance, double hand assembled process, the Lemania based 321 movement etc etc etc or you don’t.

Old 16 April 2024, 11:44 PM   #14
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
I remember when watch collecting used to be about this:

Too much focus on what value a watch will fetch. If the OP is serious about being interested in the 321, then all that matters is the actual 321. That’s what this piece is about. I mean, just look at it! I do all the time. The rest of the watch slaughters the regular Speedmaster as well.

As for comparison to the Daytona, the 321 is just a superior watch on all levels except water resistance and hype (which to me is a bonus). I had both, I no longer have the Daytona. Nor a desire for it any longer. The Daytona is miss represented as a special watch because it’s hard to get a retail and the hype/market. The 321 Speedy IS a special watch. Period.
Old 16 April 2024, 11:46 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

More eye candy …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2024, 07:19 AM   #16
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Agree

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 08:16 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2024, 10:02 AM   #18
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
...Too much focus on what value a watch will fetch. If the OP is serious about being interested in the 321, then all that matters is the actual 321...
Yeah, these were my first thoughts about this thread, too.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 11:04 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
There’s a ton of love for the 321. If you’re looking for investments look elsewhere. Omegas aren’t that but they are really well made, historically significant and damn cool.
Old 17 April 2024, 12:25 PM   #20
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If you think about it in the context of the Lemania caliber in it, how much do other pieces with the same base caliber cost? A lot of them which used to be a deal have already been recognized as such and the prices have gone up.

I think for what it is at MSRP or even a bit above MSRP it’s a really good value.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 01:22 PM   #21
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I hope to someday buy a EW321, but am willing to wait as I am enjoying my recently purchased 3861.

At 42mm, the 3861 is a little big for me and the 321 at 38+mm would be perfect.

I am confounded that at every OB I visit, no one has an 321, and don't seem to keep a waiting list, however there seem to be many offerred on Chrono24/ebay.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 03:16 PM   #22
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I hope to someday buy a EW321, but am willing to wait as I am enjoying my recently purchased 3861.

I am confounded that at every OB I visit, no one has an 321, and don't seem to keep a waiting list, however there seem to be many offerred on Chrono24/ebay.
There are 93 Silver Snoopy 50s (announced 10/2020) on C24 v 46 Ed White 321 (announced 10/2020). There are 20 Apollo 11 50s (announced 5/2019).
321Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 10:47 PM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
#2 for me

I appreciate it for what it is, but not different enough from the run of the mill Speedy to get my attention and spend that kind of money.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM   #24
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Approved
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #25
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

A large percentage of watch buyers want people to know they bought an expensive watch. 99.9% of people have no idea what the 321 is and will just think it's a $4k speedy. I love the 321, but that is what keeps its secondary price down.

Also, one thing to note is that it's way less accurate than the speedy pro. Way fewer people care about that but some of that 0.1% who know what a 321 is do.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM   #26
Jon B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post

I also thought the 321 would be a perfect size, but I found it wears much larger than its 39.7mm diameter, to the extent I have buyers remorse and don’t wear the watch. I have a fairly small wrist at 6.75 inches and find the 321 wears a lot larger than my 16710. If you haven’t tried it on, I’d definitely recommend doing so, as you might be quite surprised how it wears on the wrist.

I’d always discounted the regular Speedmaster, as I thought it would be too large at 42mm, but I’ve just bought the new white-dialled 3861 and I’m really happy with the size. I actually think it seems smaller on the wrist than the 321!
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Hot take. If you can’t appreciate the 321 you don’t appreciate horology. Not saying you want to own it, just appreciate it.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #28
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

The watch game is filled with certain pieces that fall under "IYKYK". Some prefer the quiet luxury aesthetic while others prefer a little more statement for the money. It can be a tough decision.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
I also thought the 321 would be a perfect size, but I found it wears much larger than its 39.7mm diameter, to the extent I have buyers remorse and don’t wear the watch. I have a fairly small wrist at 6.75 inches and find the 321 wears a lot larger than my 16710. If you haven’t tried it on, I’d definitely recommend doing so, as you might be quite surprised how it wears on the wrist.

I’d always discounted the regular Speedmaster, as I thought it would be too large at 42mm, but I’ve just bought the new white-dialled 3861 and I’m really happy with the size. I actually think it seems smaller on the wrist than the 321!
I agree. It wears larger than it’s dimensions would indicate
Old Today, 12:39 AM   #30
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

The 321 is not as ergonomic as modern daytona/speedy but completely fulfills my desire for a speedmaster, a vintage watch, and a historically important movement. Ticking all those box's in one package is difficult to do. To have some of the charm of a vintage watch with modern materials is really a big plus to me.
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote