The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 March 2021, 02:53 PM   #1
-h2n-
"TRF" Member

Buying from AD... Feedback and latest experience

Hey guys, I recently made a first purchase at an AD. A green 7300v for my wife's bday/anniversary gift at full retail and she loves it so far.

Went back down to the AD last night after dinner to enquire about the possibility of my next piece either a 5712r or 5980r. Was told they don't accept waiting list or even have a priority list (not really surprised). Instead they apparently just pop whatever stock they own in the window/display cabinet and just sell to whoever walks in off the street (wtf?!)

I find this very hard to believe. In fact I'm convinced it's just their standard line given to any random Joe who walks in off the street to enquire about a sport model. Dissapointed that after recently making a purchase (and also bringing in a buddy who also picked up a blue 7300v for his wife too) I was treated just the same as someone with no purchase history at all :( I'm fairly certain there are certain 'special' clients being prioritised the desirable pieces.

Any thoughts or feedback on this? What route do we have to pick up a sport model at the boutique? Just throw money at the boutique until we crossover the unspoken spending threshold? The guy I spoke to was a senior sales advisor and I also spoke to the boutique manager too. I know we can just go grab the watch on resale anytime but I want my name on the papers and patek to know me as a customer and to start building that relationship (I've already bought plenty of watches from my reliable network of grey dealers and want to move on to building purchase history at dealerships/boutiques).

Or shall I just resign myself to the grey market? #notworthy

I live in Singapore by the way...
-h2n- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 08:42 PM   #2
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Hi Bro, bad experience for you.

Given all what you said, if you would have any chance with them at this point in time they would have already serve you.

I think it has to do with average Singapore mindset about luxury and wealth. It means more about who you are, which car you drive and how much money you bring rather than true passion for watch.
All Asia works the same more or less.

You could see also here in Europe when you ever get an Asian SA is a disaster.

You might insist with them more and maybe change SA...but not sure will bring anywhere.

So all in all go gray. You only have this life
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 09:44 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Singapore is an interesting market as the concentration of wealth there is staggering. Love Singapore!

Stop into the store every few days for two or three months. Eventually, they might get 'tired' seeing you taking up their valued time and finally bestow upon your the timepiece you desire.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:01 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Apparently one of the bidders that were bidding for Newman's own PN Daytona resides in Singapore. That's the kind of market you are residing in.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:46 PM   #5
ppfl
"TRF" Member

To my understanding, that's the system for that particular boutique. I apparently missed a 5980AR by minutes - some walk-in snagged it.

I must admit this feels quite strange, but it's not the same mechanism with the AD's other boutiques elsewhere in Singapore.

The other major AD in Singapore doesn't care about a previous Patek purchase when it comes to the Nautilus... you have to get a high complication piece before they consider you, as someone relatively new to Patek.
ppfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 11:56 PM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -h2n- View Post
Hey guys, I recently made a first purchase at an AD. A green 7300v for my wife's bday/anniversary gift at full retail and she loves it so far.

Went back down to the AD last night after dinner to enquire about the possibility of my next piece either a 5712r or 5980r. Was told they don't accept waiting list or even have a priority list (not really surprised). Instead they apparently just pop whatever stock they own in the window/display cabinet and just sell to whoever walks in off the street (wtf?!)

I find this very hard to believe. In fact I'm convinced it's just their standard line given to any random Joe who walks in off the street to enquire about a sport model. Dissapointed that after recently making a purchase (and also bringing in a buddy who also picked up a blue 7300v for his wife too) I was treated just the same as someone with no purchase history at all :( I'm fairly certain there are certain 'special' clients being prioritised the desirable pieces.

Any thoughts or feedback on this? What route do we have to pick up a sport model at the boutique? Just throw money at the boutique until we crossover the unspoken spending threshold? The guy I spoke to was a senior sales advisor and I also spoke to the boutique manager too. I know we can just go grab the watch on resale anytime but I want my name on the papers and patek to know me as a customer and to start building that relationship (I've already bought plenty of watches from my reliable network of grey dealers and want to move on to building purchase history at dealerships/boutiques).

Sorry to hear about your experience. But let’s be real, the secondary market premium on any Nautilus exceeds the full retail price of a steel 7300. Also the green 7300 is new and most likely very easy to move for any AD at the moment. Buy any overpriced 5930, Golden ellipse or Gondolo 8-day that’s been gathering dust on the retail shelf for a few years and you’d certainly hear something different regarding the chance of getting a Naut.

That said, I think it’s insulting to get lied to one’s face. Much better when the SA explains in straight terms why, how and when their allocations of hard-to-get stuff gets allocated.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 02:38 AM   #7
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -h2n- View Post

Is this the MBS boutique?
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 03:50 AM   #8
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I bought my 5196G and 5940G in 2019 from one of the ADs along Orchard Road. I live in Hong Kong but had difficulty finding the 5196G. Was not expecting to find the 5196G and was dressed rather casually, but they were more than happy to sell me the 5196G.

I saw the 5940G in the window on my way out the shop with my 5196G. I kept in contact with the sales associate and I flew to Singapore to get the 5940G several months later.

When I picked up my 5940G, the sales associate asked if I would be interested in a steel men's Nautilus or Aquanaut, and offered to put my name down for one. She also said it was so pleasant that I never asked for the Nautilus and Aquanaut as they get asked so many times a day for these watches.

She said that even as a non-local, my spending on the less popular dress watches was sufficient to put my name down for a Nautilus or Aquanaut, and hinted that the wait would not be too long. Not sure if it was just an empty gesture (I wouldn't know if she actually put my name down or not) or if she was genuine about it. Perhaps the 5940G was sitting there unsold for a few years? (It had been discontinued for a few years by the time I got it.)

But since I already had Nautlius x 3 and Aquanaut x 2, I showed her my pics and kindly declined her offer. And I told her that finding the 5196G and 5140G new from AD in HK was impossible (whilst I had no difficulty getting Nautilus and Aquanauts in HK and in Europe).

My guess is in Singapore, every store may be slightly different it's not likely that they will just sell these hot items to any random guy off the street. Patek HQ would not like that to happen.

I was told by my watch collector friend in Singapore that an AD in Singapore was penalised by Patek HQ because 2 of their watches were flipped very quickly after they left the shop. The AD was told they would not receive any 5711/5712/5726 for the next 6-9 months.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 08:16 AM   #9
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
You are not different that several dozen customers they get everyday looking for a nautilus and the fact that you are asking for rose gold instead of steel doesn't mean that its easier.
IMO you have two clear options:
1-change your option: patek have several AC on leather strap: 5396, 5205, 5905 etc. so that could be an alternative to the 5712R and ADs would love to serve you if that was what you are looking for
2-play with their policy by checking frequently with them, or asking them when do they get their allocation from Geneva (every year they know exactly what they are getting and when) and make sure you visit the AD each time they get in a new allocation, perhaps your desired watch is among them
Old 28 March 2021, 08:56 AM   #10
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
1. yes i don’t believe either that they would sell to walk-ins when in stock
2. i believe you will need to purchase a grand complication to get on the “list”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 09:16 PM   #11
-h2n-
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, to answer some questions posed yes it was the MBS boutique.

Also, indeed I have considered the 5205, 5905 all great pieces but ultimately I felt I wanted a sport model as it suits my lifestyle better. I have a few nice dress pieces but they just sit in my safe. The 5905 was appealing as it's quite sporty for a AC at 42mm.
Felt great on my wrist as did the 5205, a beautiful and charming piece.

Ultimately I might stick to AP for my sport watches. Will try to squeeze out a 15500or from the AP boutique somehow.

The only realistic possibility for patek seems to be the complication range for now. The 5905 and 5205 mentioned earlier might be on the horizon but will likely pick up on grey market seeing as how having a purchase history doesn't mean Jack!
-h2n- is offline   Reply With Quote