The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2019, 05:21 AM   #1
R G
Banned

Bezel Play

Hello, I recently acquired a mint Seamaster Non-America’s Cup from 2002.

I’d like to know opinions/thoughts please.

The bezel clicks nicely - very crisp and actually needs a decent amount of effort with your fingers to turn it - no way it could ever turn on it’s own or by knocking it.

What I had noticed, though, is that there is a tiny bit of play, in-between the actual notches though, if that makes sense - like literally half a mm.

I’m only used to Rolex bezels, especially the ceramic ones which have bearings behind them etc and there is not really any movement in between the notches/clicks.

My questions are;

Is this typical for an older Seamaster?

Am I right in thinking that despite the bezel being absolutely mint, given that it’s a 17 year old watch, i’m to assume that for its age, one would expect a tiny bit of play?

Also, presumably it would only ever be the spring behind the bezel that would need replacing in the instance that the play got worse? If so, will that part for the 2230.50 always be available for Omega service centre to source/supply?

Strangely, if the bezel hasn’t been turned for a short period (literally in the time of me writing this post), it tightens up and the play dissipates - it’s almost like the friction from the bezel being turned all the way round a couple of times facilitates a little play temporarily.

Video here https://youtu.be/ztSNQatT1cE

Thanks in advance
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:55 AM   #2
MORA
"TRF" Member

This is perfectly normal - your bezel actually looks like it's in great condition.

Like you said, your watch is 17 years old and even new these had a tiny bit of play in them.

My 2254.50 has more play in it's bezel and I had a 2531.80 that developed a lot of play over time. There's a thin wire spring under the bezel that can be replaced easily at service and Omega has plenty of them stocked - these were their best selling watches for many years.

The new Rolex/Omega ceramic bezels are jewelry. The older seamaster/submariner bezels were designed to be worn & easily replaced with looser tolerances that didn't jam up when a little dirt/gunk gets under the bezel.

It doesn't hurt to run it under some warm soapy water every now and then to keep things clean under the bezel - they can trap lint and other debris and this helps extend the life of the spring.

If it has a very inconsistent action then it's possible one of the spring tabs has broken - but it should still continue working until you're ready to send it in for service even if that's the case. Your bezel looks like it's pretty tight in the video so I don't think that's the case.

Nice looking Seamaster. Enjoy it!
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 10:41 AM   #3
R G
Banned

Bezel Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORA View Post
This is perfectly normal - your bezel actually looks like it's in great condition.

Like you said, your watch is 17 years old and even new these had a tiny bit of play in them.

My 2254.50 has more play in it's bezel and I had a 2531.80 that developed a lot of play over time. There's a thin wire spring under the bezel that can be replaced easily at service and Omega has plenty of them stocked - these were their best selling watches for many years.

The new Rolex/Omega ceramic bezels are jewelry. The older seamaster/submariner bezels were designed to be worn & easily replaced with looser tolerances that didn't jam up when a little dirt/gunk gets under the bezel.

It doesn't hurt to run it under some warm soapy water every now and then to keep things clean under the bezel - they can trap lint and other debris and this helps extend the life of the spring.

If it has a very inconsistent action then it's possible one of the spring tabs has broken - but it should still continue working until you're ready to send it in for service even if that's the case. Your bezel looks like it's pretty tight in the video so I don't think that's the case.

Nice looking Seamaster. Enjoy it!

Hi there, thank you for the response, that’s really useful and makes sense!

The bezel does turn freely and has a nice clicking sound to it as it turns round. Even more so since after taking ownership of it, I used soapy water and a soft toothbrush to clean everywhere, including around the entire bezel and underneath it (from the side).

If, even at new, these had some play in them, then the additional wear it’s gained over the years must be minimal as it really is just a small amount of play and the bezel overall is very tight like you’ve said. I just wanted to check that what I’m seeing is within usual/normal tolerance for a Seamaster of this era.

Thanks again for the advice. I’m very much enjoying wearing it.

Old 4 September 2019, 06:26 AM   #4
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Hello, I recently acquired a mint Seamaster Non-America’s Cup from 2002.

I’d like to know opinions/thoughts please.

The bezel clicks nicely - very crisp and actually needs a decent amount of effort with your fingers to turn it - no way it could ever turn on it’s own or by knocking it.

What I had noticed, though, is that there is a tiny bit of play, in-between the actual notches though, if that makes sense - like literally half a mm.

I’m only used to Rolex bezels, especially the ceramic ones which have bearings behind them etc and there is not really any movement in between the notches/clicks.

My questions are;

Is this typical for an older Seamaster?

Am I right in thinking that despite the bezel being absolutely mint, given that it’s a 17 year old watch, i’m to assume that for its age, one would expect a tiny bit of play?

Also, presumably it would only ever be the spring behind the bezel that would need replacing in the instance that the play got worse? If so, will that part for the 2230.50 always be available for Omega service centre to source/supply?

Strangely, if the bezel hasn’t been turned for a short period (literally in the time of me writing this post), it tightens up and the play dissipates - it’s almost like the friction from the bezel being turned all the way round a couple of times facilitates a little play temporarily.

Video here https://youtu.be/ztSNQatT1cE

Thanks in advance

My Seamaster is a 90's bond, and I haven't turned the bezel in years. Scared to! lol
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:47 AM   #5
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
My Seamaster is a 90's bond, and I haven't turned the bezel in years. Scared to! lol

I had also emailed the Omega service centre when I posted this thread.

It’s as Ben has said, and by their own admission, it’s normal for the Seamasters to have this play.

Something to do with the way in which the spring mechanism works.