The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2018, 10:06 AM   #31
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I just noticed he's out.

Go after a mod and it usually doesn’t end well.

He wasn’t totally wrong and neither are most in this thread. It’s all in the delivery sometimes.

I think the traveling public do have unrealistic expectations at times about what they are entitled to when they pay a fare. However expecting your dog to be alive when you get to your final destination is expected. Now the “comfort peacock” and many of the other “service animals” that I have seen at the airports these days are ridiculous. Service animals are well trained examples that are on duty, not the ones stealing hotdogs and trying to get in the garbage like we saw a couple weeks ago on the way home from vacation.

I have never travelled on an airline other than US carriers. So I will take Abdullah’s word for it. But they are generally not good. We usually fly Southwest if we can and they always take good care of us. We have never traveled with the puppers. On several occasions I have flown United for work and actually had a slight bit of status with them. Them, American, Delta there always seem to be issues and they generally don’t handle them well.

In general traveling is stressful for most people. I don’t envy the airline counter people as they generally take the brunt of the abuse for someone/something else’s failure. Most keep it together a lot longer than I could after being called everything but nice.

But to be clear. Not following procedures and causing the death of someone’s pet is not in any way acceptable. I hope UAL is held fully accountable as is the flight attendant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 10:53 AM   #32
OgSnowflake
Banned

Being totally honest, i don’t own a dog but I’ve had my 2 cats for almost 14 years and if anybody took the life of them in any situation I’d go on a rampage that would be talked about for decades and deal with the grown man punishment that came with it. Let’s hope the owners don’t take a quick 20k to piss off n shut up not even a million is worth the loss of a family member.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 11:47 AM   #33
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
He wasn’t totally wrong and neither are most in this thread. It’s all in the delivery sometimes.
Sorry, Brandon, but the troll was 100% wrong.

He suggested that UAL did nothing wrong and that many issues (this one included, presumably) could be fixed by giving IQ tests to people prior to traveling. I am not sure how giving a customer an IQ test would disprove that UAL failed to follow their own policy.

And regarding the different airlines around the world, Abdullah is right. I have flown on a lot of different airlines around the world and US airlines generally blow. Surprisingly, I think Southwest is the best of the US carriers (in my experience, at least).
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 12:01 PM   #34
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Sorry, Brandon, but the troll was 100% wrong.

He suggested that UAL did nothing wrong and that many issues (this one included, presumably) could be fixed by giving IQ tests to people prior to traveling. I am not sure how giving a customer an IQ test would disprove that UAL failed to follow their own policy.

And regarding the different airlines around the world, Abdullah is right. I have flown on a lot of different airlines around the world and US airlines generally blow. Surprisingly, I think Southwest is the best of the US carriers (in my experience, at least).

Absolutely a troll and not someone’s posts I enjoyed reading. Especially the attacks here on members that I respect. The IQ test is silly. The only thing I slightly agree with that he said was about the airlines being the whipping boy and people expect “Rolex at Casio prices”. By and large airfare is really cheap and it’s crazy to me what people will complain about and the manner in which they do it.
Wife and I just booked SWA from Indianapolis to somewhere around NYC (she made reservation) $79 each way per ticket. Silly cheap. If I get there on time, safely and get treated well I consider it a fair trade.

UAL didn’t follow their own policy. Someone’s dog is dead and it is negligent and tragic and they should be held accountable.

Old 17 March 2018, 12:14 PM   #35
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Go after a mod and it usually doesn’t end well.

I think the traveling public do have unrealistic expectations at times about what they are entitled to when they pay a fare. However expecting your dog to be alive when you get to your final destination is expected. Now the “comfort peacock” and many of the other “service animals” that I have seen at the airports these days are ridiculous. Service animals are well trained examples that are on duty, not the ones stealing hotdogs and trying to get in the garbage like we saw a couple weeks ago on the way home from vacation.

I have never travelled on an airline other than US carriers. So I will take Abdullah’s word for it. But they are generally not good. We usually fly Southwest if we can and they always take good care of us. We have never traveled with the puppers. On several occasions I have flown United for work and actually had a slight bit of status with them. Them, American, Delta there always seem to be issues and they generally don’t handle them well.

In general traveling is stressful for most people. I don’t envy the airline counter people as they generally take the brunt of the abuse for someone/something else’s failure. Most keep it together a lot longer than I could after being called everything but nice.

But to be clear. Not following procedures and causing the death of someone’s pet is not in any way acceptable. I hope UAL is held fully accountable as is the flight attendant.

It would be nice to be able to say that American companies are the best at every thing, but the US air carriers are embarrassingly bad. When I was overseas I avoided US carriers whenever I could. I had to fly a couple long haul flights on Delta and they were dreadful compared to the ME3, KLM, and Cathay Pacific. Even Oman Air was better than US carriers.

The only flights worse than the US carriers were Russian charters, which occasionally lost an engine in flight

Blame unions, blame bad management, blame a loss of humanity in their business model. Whatever it is, the US carriers have lost perspective. They don’t act like a service industry. They act like a crappy cargo carrier that can’t get their freight to the destination unmolested.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 12:24 PM   #36
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It would be nice to be able to say that American companies are the best at every thing, but the US air carriers are embarrassingly bad. When I was overseas I avoided US carriers whenever I could. I had to fly a couple long haul flights on Delta and they were dreadful compared to the ME3, KLM, and Cathay Pacific. Even Oman Air was better than US carriers.

The only flights worse than the US carriers were Russian charters, which occasionally lost an engine in flight

Blame unions, blame bad management, blame a loss of humanity in their business model. Whatever it is, the US carriers have lost perspective. They don’t act like a service industry. They act like a crappy cargo carrier that can’t get their freight to the destination unmolested.

No doubt.

Some days I wish they would raise the fares if need be to raise the level of service and bring some decency back to flying. Raise significantly if need be. Maybe a slippery slope. I don’t know.

I know technology has made most things cheaper and these travel websites have put pressure on airlines to have cheaper fares but at some point a little bit of human decency needs to be maintained. It has been turned into too much of a commodity.

I never set foot on an airplane until I went to Space Camp in Alabama in 8th grade. My family had to save for 2 years to get me on that trip. We drove everywhere and going overseas was well beyond our means. I still to this day view flying as a privilege.

Old 17 March 2018, 12:30 PM   #37
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
No doubt.

Some days I wish they would raise the fares if need be to raise the level of service and bring some decency back to flying. Raise significantly if need be. Maybe a slippery slope. I don’t know.

I know technology has made most things cheaper and these travel websites have put pressure on airlines to have cheaper fares but at some point a little bit of human decency needs to be maintained. It has been turned into too much of a commodity.

I never set foot on an airplane until I went to Space Camp in Alabama in 8th grade. My family had to save for 2 years to get me on that trip. We drove everywhere and going overseas was well beyond our means. I still to this day view flying as a privilege.

Agree.

The solution likely requires the USG to regulate the industry again. Legislate minimum service standards, then let the market adjust the price to meet the standards. Will never happen. But one can dream.
Old 17 March 2018, 12:36 PM   #38
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Profit is everything.

Horrible seats, no legroom. Crappy waitresses. Ha ha.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 12:49 PM   #39
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

UAL is on a roll.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/us/un...ane/index.html

At this point, all you can do is laugh. What a joke.
Old 17 March 2018, 12:54 PM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
UAL is on a roll.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/us/un...ane/index.html

At this point, all you can do is laugh. What a joke.
I would be pretty pissed if I missed a connection because the airline had to divert to resolve a misdirected pet issue. They couldn’t reroute the pet once they got to the destination?
Old 17 March 2018, 04:18 PM   #41
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Accepting thoughts and prayers for the brave soul married to BravoOne the clown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 07:20 PM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
Get over it. I seem to be one of the few who are wiling to take an opposing view to al the trash and BS some are throwing around.
To my fellow mod offed BravoOne bravo to you and bye bye BravoOne your delightful way will be missed here sorely not!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 07:22 PM   #43
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 07:35 PM   #44
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thanks my friend!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 07:55 PM   #45
MonBK
Banned

x2 ^
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 10:39 PM   #46
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

FTW!!!

Old 17 March 2018, 10:44 PM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I feel very badly for the dog owner and their family. I can’t imagine how awful that must feel.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 03:49 AM   #48
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I would be pretty pissed if I missed a connection because the airline had to divert to resolve a misdirected pet issue. They couldn’t reroute the pet once they got to the destination?
I'm sure UAL did this to show everybody how much they "care" about pets. They wanted to defuse the situation before it got any worse and they did it at the passengers' expense.

Between the doctor that they dragged off the plane, these dog incidents, and the recent changes to UAL's performance bonus program (which essentially screws all 80,000+ employees out of a yearly bonus), I am not sure why Oscar Munoz is still the CEO. It sounds like UAL needs a change in leadership.