The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 17 May 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Universal Watch repair birmingham MI stay away!!!!

a while back when i was trying to find a black insert for my LV and no one would help me, i called universal watch repair here in birmingham MI..

the owners name is Effrem, so i guess it was his son who answered the phone.. he was so cocky and rude.. when i asked if he had an insert for a 16610 he said "i have stuff" i said can you check for me? he said when you come in i will check otherwise dont waste my time..

well being i really wanted an insert and every other ad told me no, i was a bit desperate. so i swallowed his poor treatment and said ok i will come in..

now keep in mind this is a very nice store and they even have their own brand of watches "erntzbenz" or how ever you spell it.. they are not rolex certified because of problems they had in the past with rolex from what i hear on the street...

so i walk into the store, i ask for boris, he igniores me for 10 minutes and clearly sees im waiting for him, the sales guy told him i was there to talk to him... he was not helping any customers.. the store was empty.

finally he stopped what he was doing and walked over to me. he said "can i help you" i introduced myself and told him i had called over the phone to see if he had a rolex orginal black insert for a submariner 16610.. he replied again "i have stuff" i said i know you have "stuff" i came in to see it and purchase one.. he said "you know im not rolex certified" i said yes i know, but i wanted to see the bezel to make sure it was the correct one and to make sure it wasnt aftermarket..

he said i have one.. i asked if i could see it? he said "what for?"

i said i just want to make sure this is the one i want.. so he leaves and comes back with the black insert.. it was the real deal.. i said i would like to buy it..

now keep in mind this store has a reputation for almost ripping people off for watch repair and telling lies... to triple the cost of the repair after they already have your watch in pieces...

i know the inserts are only 75 bucks or so.. but i expected him to be double that because i know how they work.. so i was getting ready to expect to pay up to a 150 bucks..

i really wanted the insert and was having a hard time finding one..

so anyways back to the story.
he said its going to be 350 dollars.
i said "what!?!?" are you joking?

he said "no im not"

i said just for that insert? im going to install it myself.. i already had my watch apart back home.. he said we dont sell parts..

now if they were rolex certified i understand they could not sell parts which is what every other ad told me, but they are not rolex certified..

so i said to boris, you are not rolex certified and you told me so, so why dont you sell parts and why are you charging 350 dollars for a 75 dollar insert?

he said because it's very hard to set the insert, it takes one of my techs 3 hours and we have to opoxy glue in and set it just perfect in the bezel and then we have to bake it so it dries and sets just right...

i said, "you are wrong about that... there is no glue needed, these bezels are pressure fitted and snap right in, i could prove it to you" he looked at me for a second and said no, sorry they are not pressure fit.. so i turned around and walked out...

i couldnt believe it but not only is his son rude but the run around he gave me was just insaine.. lucky for me my friend called me the very next day with an insert.

so the point of this story is for anyone who lives in michigan and doesnt want to get ripped off, stay away from universal watch repair in birmingham MI.

oh btw, did i mention that boris was a 46 yearold man and thats how he acted? for some who might think he is just a young kid with an attitude
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Rigsby1

I'm sorry but they would have not got me in there with the first phone call!!
but I am glad you are sorted now.
Rigsby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 02:38 AM   #3
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigsby1 View Post
I'm sorry but they would have not got me in there with the first phone call!!
but I am glad you are sorted now.
yea i really didnt want to go in there myself, but i really wanted to get an insert and after running all over town, i was just to burnt out to turn away the possibility i might get an insert dispite his poor treatment..
Old 17 May 2010, 02:46 AM   #4
inLine4
"TRF" Member

Watch: GSAR
What an (_o_).
Old 17 May 2010, 02:47 AM   #5
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Just contact SteveMulholland for an insert .
That is if you are not going to make a song and dance about finding a little scratch om the BACK of the insert
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 02:53 AM   #6
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
No AD or watchmaker with a parts account is supposed to SELLS parts period. What they do is repair watches so if you bring in your watch to an AD with a watchmaker on site they will install a new Rolex insert for you.If you want to keep the old 1 tel them it poped out or ask if you can keep it.If they say no go to another AD. Most charge around $100-$125 I have found.Watchmakers with a parts account same as above.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Just contact SteveMulholland for an insert .
That is if you are not going to make a song and dance about finding a little scratch om the BACK of the insert
That was not a song and a dance that was Raging Bull.

And could we please start using capital letters so it does not get confusing to read. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BtMYby!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-DwEvq7kePz0BL68W,Gd-w~~_35.jpg (32.2 KB, 420 views)
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 03:14 AM   #8
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
No AD or watchmaker with a parts account is supposed to SELLS parts period. What they do is repair watches so if you bring in your watch to an AD with a watchmaker on site they will install a new Rolex insert for you.If you want to keep the old 1 tel them it poped out or ask if you can keep it.If they say no go to another AD. Most charge around $100-$125 I have found.Watchmakers with a parts account same as above.
but the point of my story was they are not rolex certified and they do not have a parts account, they just have loose stock as they called it.
Old 18 May 2010, 12:05 AM   #9
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Well... this is actually my first post after having been a long-time "lurker"! Very much appreciate this forum - great knowledge and comaraderie all around. This topic is pretty local to me and it sparked my interest in responding.

Anyway - I live in the area and agree completely with subking's comments about Universal Watch Repair. They are very arrogant and don't seem particularly interested in people who like Rolex. I went in there years ago out of general interest to check them out. I was wearing my Explorer II at the time and during some brief dialogue I was basically told (in so many words) that I needed to consider upgrading to a "real watch". One example they gave was Ernst Benz and of course they are an AD for that brand. I think I may even have spoken to the same guy that subking did.

Switching to a positive... literally a block down from Universal and next to the Birmingham Theater is a great watch store named "Back in Time International" (www.backintimeintl.com). I bought my pre-owned coke GMT II 16710 from them and they gladly sold me brand new black and pepsi bezels later on. I think I paid $125 for each of the inserts and they switch them for me at no cost whenever I ask. They have a rolex parts account and also do expert repair as well. If you are looking for something that an AD can't / won't sell you and want a local option - try them. The owner's name is Kirk Putze and his wife's name is Michelle. They run a very nice boutique style shop and were even written up in Fortune Magazine a couple of years ago. Here is the article:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/07/life...tune/index.htm

Hope this helps the Rolex owners in the area.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 06:43 AM   #10
SubKing
"TRF" Member

i wish i knew to go in there.. didnt think back in time had a parts account.. but good to know! cheers
Old 15 October 2011, 12:08 PM   #11
mbw0121
"TRF" Member

I stopped into Universal Watch Repair in Birmingham, Michigan this afternoon. I have been considering purchasing a SS Yachtmaster. The owners son? Asked me if he could help me and I told him that I was looking for a Rolex. He went on a tirade about how Rolex watches were junk. I couldn't even get a word in....he was so obnoxious and rude. He explained that he has financial guys, businessman and doctors coming in wanting to sell their Rolex watches because "now a days college kids are walking around
wearing Rolex watches." I quickly reminded him that I too was just a "kid" of 29 years that just happens to do anesthesia for a living. And thanks for making me feel like a dick for wanting to spend 10K on a watch. What idiots these guys are....Talk about bad business.
mbw0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2012, 01:56 AM   #12
YachtMaster1127
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc
I live in Michigan and have heard about that place and been wanting to stop by but now I know to stay away thanks for the heads up!!
YachtMaster1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 03:25 AM   #13
airball7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith Daytona
Stay. Away.
airball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 12:08 AM   #14
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
WOW
I am not surprised by that at all,
I quit doing business with the family a couple years
ago due to similar problems myself.

If you ever needs some Rolex help in Michigan again contact me
I am in Metro Detroit and can help you out.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 12:52 AM   #15
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
How can a 16610 black insert be hard to find.....

They are everywhere, including here on TRF all the time....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote