The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2021, 03:18 PM   #31
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

7 months is a short wait. Did your AD tell you this before?
Anyway I don't mind to pay premium at the AD, considering the grey price is around 20000 US now. It has been 14 months for this and still no news from my AD.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:21 PM   #32
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
What county are you in? From what I have observed, how strictly watches are sold by MSRP at ADs appears to have some variation by country.

In terms of why they can charge extra, they can because people are willing to pay it. Whether or not that threatens the future of the ADs relationship with Rolex, however, is a different matter.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:38 PM   #33
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Sorry, if I am a bit compulsive, but you would be meaning Riyadh, right? That is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I presume in such case retail price is decided upon by a member of the Royal Family not by Rolex?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:03 PM   #34
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Sorry, if I am a bit compulsive, but you would be meaning Riyadh, right? That is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I presume in such case retail price is decided upon by a member of the Royal Family not by Rolex?

I do suspect that Rolex has very little ‘influence’ over how ADs operate when they are linked to the political elite.

There’s no point angsting over it.

Rolex has probably decided giving ADs in these jurisdictions a wide berth a better than having no ADs in them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:10 PM   #35
Mackincheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Yes, Riyadh.

No prices are decided by the local authorized Rolex dealer. Local Rolex AD is operated and owned by a business man that is not related to the royal family.
Mackincheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:12 PM   #36
Mackincheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
7 months is a short wait. Did your AD tell you this before?
Anyway I don't mind to pay premium at the AD, considering the grey price is around 20000 US now. It has been 14 months for this and still no news from my AD.
Hope you hear from them soon.
I don’t have a relationship with AD here and they don’t care about purchase history.

I’m assuming they just received large supply and hence I got lucky.
Mackincheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:45 PM   #37
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
See: Rolex web site

This is where you tell us all about the conversation you had with your AD. And their name.

Another good first post btw. We're on a roll here.
Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Lmao

To be fair the ADs tend to sell sought after watches significantly above US MSRP. I recall being quoted close to market on a Daytona back in 2016 at an AD in Bahrain.

If the US ADs had a similar dynamic pricing model they would be competing with grey dealers and likely getting to pricing equilibrium which this market clearly lacks.

But I digress. Yes, the Middle Eastern ADs are priced higher than what we're accustomed to at US dealers.
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:28 PM   #38
Neom
Banned

OP, prices differ according to the country you are in. MSRP in the US is different from MSRP in KSA, which is different from MSRP in Oman (I compared the prices before, they tend to be higher in the middle east)
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:42 PM   #39
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Going to add my 2 cents here - the Rolex website in the Middle East doesn't have prices showcased on their website. This is true for Dubai at least.
This is also true for Pakistan, AD's in PK jack up the price and blame it on "custom duty"

However, the AD in Dubai (there's only one here) charges the same price (more or less) as is in USA.
ibzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:11 PM   #40
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Some ADs in the Middle East can charge more, there are no limits and unfortunately no control, this is not something new and it largely depends on the watch. The more desirable the watch the pricer it gets, a SS daytona will probably be offered at $ 25 to $ 28 k while if you are to buy a date just you might get one at suggested retail that is comparable to US pricing (depending on model and demand for that midel).

However, if you are a VIP individual or an old time customer with strong purchase history you might get offered more watches at preferential rates.

On the bright side, getting a brand new LV at a good market price directly from an AD is much better than not getting it or buying it form grey dealers at current market price.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:44 PM   #41
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I have seen this also in another country. There were no prices on the Rolex website when opening it from there. Rose Gold Daytona with white dial was the equivalent of 50K euro, while in Europe the MSRP is 37K.
For other models like the DJ and DD, the prices were very close to the MSRP in Europe.

The sales person mentioned that they had to change the price on the Platinum Daytona several times during the year.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 11:58 PM   #42
JBond
"TRF" Member

that's normal practice in many countries.
In Russia there are many boutiques and all operated by one dealer called Mercury. No online prices as well. They (official AD) sell Starbucks for an equivalent of ~20k USD, new oyster Pepsi for 22k USD etc etc so in RU zone no such thing as retail for in demand models, only grey market price that everyone including AD follows
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:33 AM   #43
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
that's normal practice in many countries.
In Russia there are many boutiques and all operated by one dealer called Mercury. No online prices as well. They (official AD) sell Starbucks for an equivalent of ~20k USD, new oyster Pepsi for 22k USD etc etc so in RU zone no such thing as retail for in demand models, only grey market price that everyone including AD follows

Are the models more available at these prices from ADs or is availability still scarce?

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:58 AM   #44
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
ADs are not allowed to mark up the prices. Check what the msrp for there reference is in your country.

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:59 AM   #45
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
My understanding is Rolex in each respective country may dictate (directly or indirectly) if AD's can charge over MSRP for their watches. Here in the US, my understanding is AD's are not supposed to be charging over MSRP. Could it happen, sure.

Back in 2017, I was traveling in New Delhi and a local Rolex AD had a SS Daytona white dial that they were selling for current grey market prices. I don't remember the conversion rate exactly local currency MSRP was right around US $13k and that they were selling for just over $18k US. After leaving the store I did some research and it seems that was pretty common practice for Rolex AD's in that country.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:01 AM   #46
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
The fact you referred to the New Kermit as the Starbucks tells me your a troll account with your 1 post.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Great detective work
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:35 AM   #47
JBond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Are the models more available at these prices from ADs or is availability still scarce?

Unfortunately not available for random walk in's. Very limited stock , if you have established relationship then you will get in demand model in relatively fair time.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 04:25 AM   #48
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackincheeze View Post
Hope you hear from them soon.
I don’t have a relationship with AD here and they don’t care about purchase history.

I’m assuming they just received large supply and hence I got lucky.
Obviously things are different in your country. Good luck and welcome to the forum! Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions...
Old 7 December 2021, 08:38 AM   #49
WalterW
"TRF" Member

USA always gets the lowest price… being American doesn’t suck
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:58 AM   #50
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackincheeze View Post
It’s an official retailer, apologies if I used wrong acronyms here.
But I asked to be on the wishlist, filled a form and provided them with a business card.

KSA website does not show MSRP like the US or UK.
I am just confused and frustrated why the price is totally different.
So, I guess a good place to start with easing both your confusion and frustration is a conversation with the retailer you purchased the watch from?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote