The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2022, 03:24 PM   #9931
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I retired in March with a 60/40 mix and about 10% in cash. The cash was to live on while the market corrected if needed, but more I’m thinking of moving to a 70/30 or event 80/20 mix since bonds have not performed in inverse to the stock market. Thoughts for someone who just retired during this show?
DCA 6 of the 10 percent, leave 4 for 12 months of non-market linked safe withdrawals (if needed)
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 12:36 AM   #9932
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I don't have a crystal ball, but for those that have the money, sometimes the only pain point is discovery and depositions airing presumably previously private information.

Interesting text messages to say the least!

Idk, as an investor this one kinda feels dirty. Would be interesting to see who the major buyers of shares were over the past few months since all this nonsense started. Seems like he intentionally drove the price down & stalled the sale. Doesn't seem like a very fair play if he always had intentions of going through with the deal.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 06:46 AM   #9933
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
We're selling into this rally as we believe there's more downside risk. Munis are looking more and more attractive now. With 10 year Treasuries at 3.74 we just picked up some AA rated, triple tax free going out only 6 years, at 4.1 YTW and no call.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 02:46 AM   #9934
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
so looks like we're rallying on hopes the fed will pivot. this will end well...
Btw looks like someone launched the Inverse Jim Cramer ETF. Think we were talking about that just a few weeks back

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...m-ljim-2022-10
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 11:49 AM   #9935
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I retired in March with a 60/40 mix and about 10% in cash. The cash was to live on while the market corrected if needed, but more I’m thinking of moving to a 70/30 or event 80/20 mix since bonds have not performed in inverse to the stock market. Thoughts for someone who just retired during this show?

I’ve been moving money from bonds to stocks at 5% increments every time the market sells off,but I’m almost out of bonds because the market keeps selling off. You’re right bonds are almost as bad as stocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 11:41 PM   #9936
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Btw looks like someone launched the Inverse Jim Cramer ETF. Think we were talking about that just a few weeks back

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...m-ljim-2022-10
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:06 AM   #9937
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
the hits just keep on coming. AMD is a perfect example.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/07/stoc...-and-more.html

as the projections continue to change, the stocks are going to continue to slide.

this is not going turn around anytime soon. and as consumers spend less, projections and results will reflect that. in turn, stock prices will reflect that.

I understand why most would prefer to follow the tried and true methodology. but....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:39 AM   #9938
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The universe would implode on unsustainable paradoxes!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:06 AM   #9939
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Micron (MU) also recently had some downbeat news. Micron been berry berry good to me (long ago).

Speaking of long ago, you'll have to be of a certain age to get that humor.

My portfolio is just a sea of red. I did sell some stuff when we had the brief rally this week, but not nearly enough, LOL.

And like posted above, every time the market goes down, I buy a little more.

I figure as long as I buy quality, it will work out in the end. Trying to avoid the crap.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:32 AM   #9940
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

as the projections continue to change, the stocks are going to continue to slide.

this is not going turn around anytime soon. and as consumers spend less, projections and results will reflect that. in turn, stock prices will reflect that.

I understand why most would prefer to follow the tried and true methodology. but....
I see AMD as a buying opportunity. They are beaten up right now because Ryzen 7000 seems like it will lag Intel’s upcoming Raptor Lake. But AMD has more 3D V Cache chips up their sleeve for early 2023. 7800X3D and 7950X3D will be coming along with RDNA 3 GPUs in November. Their 7800XT will probably gain a lot of mid/mid high market this gen. I think AMD is a good value right now but that’s just imo.
Old 8 October 2022, 01:57 AM   #9941
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s funny. I guess by proxy Cranmer recommending Inverse ETF would effectively cancel out his individual stock recommendations and cause an immediate flip of the holdings to be consistent with the inverse philosophy. He would essentially be admitting he flipped positions.
Old 8 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #9942
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I see AMD as a buying opportunity. They are beaten up right now because Ryzen 7000 seems like it will lag Intel’s upcoming Raptor Lake. But AMD has more 3D V Cache chips up their sleeve for early 2023. 7800X3D and 7950X3D will be coming along with RDNA 3 GPUs in November. Their 7800XT will probably gain a lot of mid/mid high market this gen. I think AMD is a good value right now but that’s just imo.
I agree.

I simply think it’ll be much better in 3-6 months.

Old 8 October 2022, 02:58 AM   #9943
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree.

I simply think it’ll be much better in 3-6 months.
It just may be if RDNA 3 doesn’t live up to expectations in November. Judging by NVIDIA’s entries and pricing, AMD either has completely dominant GPUs on the horizon or massive disappointments. We’ll know next month.
Old 8 October 2022, 03:22 AM   #9944
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

AMD/Nvidia are both also being impacted by ethereum no longer being mineable, so the demand for their graphics cards would have dropped regardless of the economic climate. miners were the reason these graphics cards were so hard to buy to begin with and pushed the two companies into their own bubbles. still probably good value on amd at this point
Old 8 October 2022, 04:49 AM   #9945
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AMD/Nvidia are both also being impacted by ethereum no longer being mineable, so the demand for their graphics cards would have dropped regardless of the economic climate. miners were the reason these graphics cards were so hard to buy to begin with and pushed the two companies into their own bubbles. still probably good value on amd at this point
NVIDIA currently projecting Data Center revenue to exceed Gaming GPU revenue in Q2 2023. A significant change from the Gaming revenue dominating data center over the last few years to your point. The GPU market took a tumble after economic sanctions. I can’t help but wonder if the majority of miners were quasi state actors.
Old 8 October 2022, 04:59 AM   #9946
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
totally get it. but tbh, I dont particlulary care the reasons. dont get me wrong, they are important.

but the fact is the markets move based on emotion and general news. and we are not done with the bad news.

I realize I could be wrong. of course. I get it. BUT, imho, everything is going to continue going down. the markets as a whole will react to data as it comes in.

this not currently priced in. and bad news is going to create more bad news. sadly, it is just how we operate. how the markets operate. momentum creates more momentum, in both directions. and there is simply too much bad news right now to change the momentum in a positive manner.

truly, I hope I am wrong. I am still having a crappy day. but it would be way worse had I not sold off what I had, when I had. if it goes up, I will be super duper happy. if I am wrong, I will be super duper happy. and then I will miss out on some upside and buy back in.

Old 8 October 2022, 05:18 AM   #9947
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:

but the fact is the markets move based on emotion and general news. and we are not done with the bad news.
Agree with you here, the equity market is NOT on fire sale, there are better opportunities to be held elsewhere. Investors forget, SPY is still 300 points HIGHER today than immediately prior to COVID hitting when markets were still considered expensive. Plenty of room for companies forward multiples to converge.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 05:25 AM   #9948
7sins
"TRF" Member

If anyone is looking for a contrarian position that is going against current trends, look at puts on UUP. This is a position I am dollar cost averaging into and not financial advice. The dollar is the strongest it has been in over 20 years, this does not mean it can't get slightly stronger but I think we are near a peak top for dollar strength for the next year. When markets eventually stabilize and or the FED stops raising rates while other central banks continue raising, this will cause the dollar to weaken. The very least, like any asset class, there will be mean reversion where the dollar normalizes. There are very few people on this side of the trade looking at the option chains (which maybe is a sign haha) but looking at IV, it is absurdly low, meaning the premiums are very cheap as no one prices this in. Trying to be one step ahead of future trends here.

Thus once consensus changes and the anticipation for the dollar is to weaken, even if the dollar doesn't in actuality, the anticipation will price these premiums higher. 2025 gives you a 1000+ day runway. Something to ponder for those wanting an atypical trade.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 8 October 2022, 12:55 PM   #9949
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hey guys... what is your opinion on Southern Company (SO) and Duke Energy (DUK)?
I like their dividends. Debating which to dive into....

Thanks
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 01:21 PM   #9950
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
If anyone is looking for a contrarian position that is going against current trends, look at puts on UUP. This is a position I am dollar cost averaging into and not financial advice. The dollar is the strongest it has been in over 20 years, this does not mean it can't get slightly stronger but I think we are near a peak top for dollar strength for the next year. When markets eventually stabilize and or the FED stops raising rates while other central banks continue raising, this will cause the dollar to weaken. The very least, like any asset class, there will be mean reversion where the dollar normalizes. There are very few people on this side of the trade looking at the option chains (which maybe is a sign haha) but looking at IV, it is absurdly low, meaning the premiums are very cheap as no one prices this in. Trying to be one step ahead of future trends here.

Thus once consensus changes and the anticipation for the dollar is to weaken, even if the dollar doesn't in actuality, the anticipation will price these premiums higher. 2025 gives you a 1000+ day runway. Something to ponder for those wanting an atypical trade.

I like this, but couldn’t you just buy UDN ? not questioning just curious!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 04:03 AM   #9951
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I like this, but couldn’t you just buy UDN ? not questioning just curious!
You certainly could on the underlying ETF, however, there is no OI nor liquidity in the option chain for UDN. Nov/Dec could create interesting entry points IMO.
Old 12 October 2022, 05:29 AM   #9952
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Jeez. If things weren’t getting real enough…

Bank of England Governor Bailey: my message to pension funds is that you only have three days to get this rebalancing done.

Then immediately, this happened (as expected).

jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 05:36 AM   #9953
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post

Bank of England Governor Bailey: my message to pension funds is that you only have three days to get this rebalancing done.

Looks like the big boys running stops.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 01:17 PM   #9954
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
You certainly could on the underlying ETF, however, there is no OI nor liquidity in the option chain for UDN. Nov/Dec could create interesting entry points IMO.
Appreciate the reply, thank you
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 12:35 AM   #9955
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post

Well that’s interesting. Did they have early access to today’s CPI print?
Old 14 October 2022, 12:46 AM   #9956
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

so what does the fed do now? clearly jacking up the rates more and more has no immediate impact on inflation so is there a point in doing 75-100? at the same time the more they hike the higher the dollar goes and we get closer to something breaking. during the summer i didn't understand how raising rates so aggressively to kill demand was their solution to fighting supply chain inflation
Old 14 October 2022, 12:52 AM   #9957
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
so what does the fed do now? clearly jacking up the rates more and more has no immediate impact on inflation so is there a point in doing 75-100? at the same time the more they hike the higher the dollar goes and we get closer to something breaking. during the summer i didn't understand how raising rates so aggressively to kill demand was their solution to fighting supply chain inflation
find a way to alleviate supply chain issues.

not sure thats the feds job though.

Old 14 October 2022, 12:55 AM   #9958
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

yeah it definitely isn't their job. somehow the inflation issue landed entirely on them but i don't think they can fix it alone and not through rate hikes. it seems like the biggest issues today are groceries and rent since oil has gone down a bit and i don't see how raising rates is gonna make people not buy food lol

i also don't know who's paying 5k a month rent for a 1 bed in nyc but that's another discussion ...
Old 14 October 2022, 12:59 AM   #9959
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Time will likely be the only cure. Fed has done pretty much all they can. I expect a 4 handle on inflation by end of Q1. That being said, I wasn't expecting a hot read this morning either. I am buying this morning but tight stops in place. When market is down this far and VIX in the red, it's time to hold nose and do something.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 01:08 AM   #9960
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Time will likely be the only cure. Fed has done pretty much all they can. I expect a 4 handle on inflation by end of Q1. That being said, I wasn't expecting a hot read this morning either. I am buying this morning but tight stops in place. When market is down this far and VIX in the red, it's time to hold nose and do something.
vix being red when markets dumped 4% at 8:30 was the most surprising thing