The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 April 2020, 08:57 AM   #5191
walds11
"TRF" Member
 
walds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Real Name: Adam
Location: Philly area
Posts: 5,484
Ut oh, it’s starting to get political in here. I hope they don’t lock this thread. Or it may be a good idea to delete those posts...

Everyone be well and stay safe!
__________________
Adam
walds11 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 08:58 AM   #5192
GB-man
2022 Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the run
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 35,108
If you live somewhere that has very few to no cases be happy. NYC is so bad that our governor signed an executive order stating he was going to send the national guard to take ventilators from our upstate private hospitals. People are furious. Congressman and county execs flat out said he can fly a kite. He’s the governor though.
__________________
GB-man is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:01 AM   #5193
Brew
"TRF" Member
 
Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Real Name: Larry
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 6,017
We're also now making med school almost grads doctors early. What an awful mess.

But folks here think it's safe to go about their business. Just wait.
Brew is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:02 AM   #5194
EEpro
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
EEpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: B R A D
Location: USA
Posts: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
We're also now making med school almost grads doctors early. What an awful mess.

But folks here think it's safe to go about their business. Just wait.

Now those are some kids that deserve to get their student loans paid off.
__________________
Ω
EEpro is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:05 AM   #5195
Patton250
2022 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
That is all good news.

The people benefiting are those not sick, not praying for ventilators, the family of those that have not died and medical workers who arenít risking their lives to treat a majority of people who donít give a $#w@ about them.

Hopefully it stays that way until April 30.
Itís my understanding but please correct me if Iím wrong that we are not even close, at least at this point to not providing a ventilator to someone that needs it.
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #5196
Patton250
2022 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you live somewhere that has very few to no cases be happy. NYC is so bad that our governor signed an executive order stating he was going to send the national guard to take ventilators from our upstate private hospitals. People are furious. Congressman and county execs flat out said he can fly a kite. He’s the governor though.
Perhaps the governor is about to find out that sheriffs have more authority than him. I never in my lifetime have seen National Guard troops or any troops take anything from any American by force.
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #5197
Brew
"TRF" Member
 
Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Real Name: Larry
Location: Finger Lakes
Posts: 6,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Now those are some kids that deserve to get their student loans paid off.
Yes, I agree. Nurses too.
Brew is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:10 AM   #5198
GB-man
2022 Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the run
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 35,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Perhaps the governor is about to find out that sheriffs have more authority than him. I never in my lifetime have seen National Guard troops or any troops take anything from any American by force.
Very odd situation. I really have no idea how it pans out.
__________________
GB-man is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:15 AM   #5199
dimag333
2022 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: IN
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Itís my understanding but please correct me if Iím wrong that we are not even close, at least at this point to not providing a ventilator to someone that needs it.
In ny there is 20% over supply of ventilators per Cuomo today, he also said we are basically in the Apex in the next 3-7 days, but he was saying end of April earlier in week. Bottom line it just seems like shots in the dark.

steve
dimag333 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:15 AM   #5200
Fleetlord
2022 Pledge Member
 
Fleetlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vain
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Itís my understanding but please correct me if Iím wrong that we are not even close, at least at this point to not providing a ventilator to someone that needs it.
There are ventilator concerns in NYC, as there were in Italy, Spain...etc

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ls-coronavirus

Hopefully not coming to anywhere else..
Fleetlord is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:27 AM   #5201
Patton250
2022 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There are ventilator concerns in NYC, as there were in Italy, Spain...etc

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ls-coronavirus

Hopefully not coming to anywhere else..
I understand that my friend. Iíve heard the leaders of New York complaining over and over again for weeks to get more but I have yet to hear of a person not get one in New York that needed one like what has happened over and over in Italy. If Iím wrong just let me know but I havenít seen it.
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:28 AM   #5202
Patton250
2022 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
In ny there is 20% over supply of ventilators per Cuomo today, he also said we are basically in the Apex in the next 3-7 days, but he was saying end of April earlier in week. Bottom line it just seems like shots in the dark.

steve
Remember to always fall back on and circle around to the word ďfluidĒ when you see numbers constantly change and get adjusted.
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 09:58 AM   #5203
Horosopher
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Chicago; NYC
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Just because we need a little humour to break the tension

*Half of us are going to come out of quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half with a drinking problem.

*I used to spin the toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.




That's exactly me: I'm emptying my cellar by drinking a ridiculous amount of wine.


And I'm already wrapping Christmas gifts for my dearest friends:








Horosopher is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:07 AM   #5204
mjr24
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
I canít understand how people still donít understand the importance of sheltering in place.

You just have to look to NY to see what you can look forward to if youíre not sheltering in place. For those people who donít feel the need to stay at home, they should volunteer their time at a hospital.
Not concerned about New York because I donít live there. By all means, they are way way way over the cases of anyone else....thus those residents should stay in place. However, in states where itís not an issue itís about time for this to end.
mjr24 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:18 AM   #5205
77T
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 38,499
I get that the issue in NY State is going to be problematic to manage resources logistically.

A mini-outbreak in the Catskills where one confiscated the only two ventilators in Margaretville could prove disastrous.

But at the same time, forecasts falling short of the peak need at Javitz Center in Manhattan requires action.

And despite the efforts of others in China and the strategic stockpile, it doesnít close the gap.

This is the stuff that can make a plan foolproof only if you overstock by 20% at each and every site for which you have a forecasted need.

It is the type of inventory planning FEMA tends to do when prepping for a hurricane despite not knowing exactly where landfall will cause the greatest needs. By prepositioning more supply than is necessary, they have a better chance to meet the need.

Only in this case, the chase for those resources is Nationwide and State is vying against State for the scarce resources. From what Iíve read, California has been winning those battles regularly. They just outspend the competing States.

Not the egalitarian society some desire, but seems to be shaping up as a buying power utilitarian exercise in a sellers market.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:18 AM   #5206
pickettt
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
pickettt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Watch: Shiny One
Posts: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Perhaps the governor is about to find out that sheriffs have more authority than him. I never in my lifetime have seen National Guard troops or any troops take anything from any American by force.
I've never seen them shut down the world's economy over an ailment either. Directly to your point, though, I've read emails directly from General Joseph Lengyel, stating that it is not their intention to police our citizens.
pickettt is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:22 AM   #5207
superdog
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 23,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I've never seen them shut down the world's economy over an ailment either.
Crazy times
__________________
If happiness is a state of mind, why look anywhere else for it?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:43 AM   #5208
joeychitwood
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
joeychitwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Way Up North USA
Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Posts: 6,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Joey - If Paul bails, can I come in his place? You've still got snow and I'd kill my granny to get back on my board.
Certainly! Paul promised me a ride in his F-18 fighter jet though, so Iím gonna give him a little more time.
joeychitwood is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:44 AM   #5209
Knappo 1307
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
Knappo 1307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Jason
Location: USA
Watch: Sea Dweller
Posts: 8,343
At high risk people need to shelter in, everyone else needs to go back to normal activity. Sheltering in is just prolonging this and spreading it out further in time. The majority of the population who test positive will not be going/needing to stay in the hospital. Whether you do what we're doing now, or go back to normal operation the same amount of people needing hospital beds is gong to be the same. Just my opinion, but then again I'm an idiot...
Knappo 1307 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:49 AM   #5210
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Real Name: Vince
Location: Michigan
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I understand that my friend. Iíve heard the leaders of New York complaining over and over again for weeks to get more but I have yet to hear of a person not get one in New York that needed one like what has happened over and over in Italy. If Iím wrong just let me know but I havenít seen it.
Thankfully agree and thereís a lot of work that has gone into maintaining this state of relative order. Asking for states, counties, whatever to juggle and shift supplies as needed makes perfect sense from my point of view. Contain the enemy where you can (and must), keep order and trust up, prevent people and the sickness from spreading at large. Win win
__________________
Have a nice day!
Michigan_State is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:52 AM   #5211
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Real Name: Vince
Location: Michigan
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
At high risk people need to shelter in, everyone else needs to go back to normal activity. Sheltering in is just prolonging this and spreading it out further in time. The majority of the population who test positive will not be going/needing to stay in the hospital. Whether you do what we're doing now, or go back to normal operation the same amount of people needing hospital beds is gong to be the same. Just my opinion, but then again I'm an idiot...
What we’re seeing out there doesn’t support your opinion. Let it roam freely and numbers will climb further. Then what? And who exactly is at risk? There’s no exact pattern to those succumbing from this and I’m not taking the risk for my family (or yours).
__________________
Have a nice day!
Michigan_State is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 10:54 AM   #5212
Patton250
2022 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
At high risk people need to shelter in, everyone else needs to go back to normal activity. Sheltering in is just prolonging this and spreading it out further in time. The majority of the population who test positive will not be going/needing to stay in the hospital. Whether you do what we're doing now, or go back to normal operation the same amount of people needing hospital beds is gong to be the same. Just my opinion, but then again I'm an idiot...
Hey Jason. Totally agree.
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 11:20 AM   #5213
gtnator
2022 Pledge Member
 
gtnator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Posts: 1,972
the Coronavirus outbreak thread



You got to have some humor to break things up...laughing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 11:26 AM   #5214
Knappo 1307
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
Knappo 1307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Jason
Location: USA
Watch: Sea Dweller
Posts: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
What weíre seeing out there doesnít support your opinion. Let it roam freely and numbers will climb further. Then what? And who exactly is at risk? Thereís no exact pattern to those succumbing from this and Iím not taking the risk for my family (or yours).
Thank you for your response, and I respect your opinion.
Knappo 1307 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 11:43 AM   #5215
Ny325
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA
Watch: A few
Posts: 2,291
I’m looking forward to the day my hometown, NYC gets back on its feet. We are getting pounded by this pandemic. I want to thank our medical, emergency, and staff, for all they do. I pray for all of us.
Ny325 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 11:49 AM   #5216
patrickjb
"TRF" Member
 
patrickjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Real Name: Pat
Location: Boston, MA
Watch: 216570, 126600
Posts: 470
Chaos.

My wife's a Nurse at a major hospital in Boston, and all I hear are horror stories. Let's hope this truly peaks in the next 7-10 days as they predict (in BOS anyways), and we move forward from this.

Onward and upward!
patrickjb is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 12:06 PM   #5217
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member
 
Tha Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Middle West
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I understand that my friend. I’ve heard the leaders of New York complaining over and over again for weeks to get more but I have yet to hear of a person not get one in New York that needed one like what has happened over and over in Italy. If I’m wrong just let me know but I haven’t seen it.
One thing to consider is I’m guessing it takes a few days to move, install/setup a ventilator to be ready for use. I suspect if you’re short one it’s too late to be effective for that one person that needs it then... It’s all a “game” now to preempt the need
Tha Baron is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 12:06 PM   #5218
TheVTCGuy
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 19,929
Yeah, so here is my opinion, my hope, and what I pray for. I have heard a lot of people (some on this thread) with extremely... Pessimistic views. First, I completely understand this is a very serious situation, and I have no knowledge of medicine or (very much) science. If this thread were about flying fighter jets in combat, then I would be a good knowledge base, but it’s not. Joey Chitwood forgot more about medicine and science before breakfast this morning then I will know in my whole life. Heck, anyone that got a B in high-school science knows more then me; I fully admit. People have posted here some high-level sources as stating there will be 250,000 deaths from this virus. I choose not to believe it. Here are my reasons.

First, Spanish Flu killed (around) 600,000 in the early 1900s in my country (all of this relates to the US). That was over 100 years ago. Medicine has progressed thousands of times in the last 100 years. If I am correct, there were no antibiotics to fight this with, no ventilators, nothing compared to what we have today. Technology and knowledge are incredibly advanced from that time. I have faith our efforts will pay off.

Second, (about) seven thousand American’s deaths have been attributed to Corona. My question, how many of these would have succumbed to another flu? Or a pre-existing condition? The most vulnerable are the elderly, and those that have underlying medical issues. I DO NOT BELITTLE ANYONE’S PASSING, I will pray for all those that left us to Rest In Peace, but strictly speaking numbers, how many of those 7,000 would have succumbed to factors other then Corona? I don’t think anyone will ever know but it has to be a number.

Lastly, our efforts are unprecedented. In my 50+ years on this planet I have never seen anything like this, stay at home, other methods.

So, I don’t believe those numbers of 250,000 deaths. Will I be proved wrong? Very possibly, but until then I’ll continue to have faith and pray those numbers are over-blown. You may agree, or disagree, some on this very thread have called me naive (and worse) and maybe they are correct; but that is what I believe. So, everyone stay safe, take your precautions, and let’s all look forward to when this is a memory.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 12:17 PM   #5219
BigBlue1
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
BigBlue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Webmaster
Location: Space
Watch: it pal !
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Yeah, so here is my opinion, my hope, and what I pray for. I have heard a lot of people (some on this thread) with extremely... Pessimistic views. First, I completely understand this is a very serious situation, and I have no knowledge of medicine or (very much) science. If this thread were about flying fighter jets in combat, then I would be a good knowledge base, but it’s not. Joey Chitwood forgot more about medicine and science before breakfast this morning then I will know in my whole life. Heck, anyone that got a B in high-school science knows more then me; I fully admit. People have posted here some high-level sources as stating there will be 250,000 deaths from this virus. I choose not to believe it. Here are my reasons.

First, Spanish Flu killed (around) 600,000 in the early 1900s in my country (all of this relates to the US). That was over 100 years ago. Medicine has progressed thousands of times in the last 100 years. If I am correct, there were no antibiotics to fight this with, no ventilators, nothing compared to what we have today. Technology and knowledge are incredibly advanced from that time. I have faith our efforts will pay off.

Second, (about) seven thousand American’s deaths have been attributed to Corona. My question, how many of these would have succumbed to another flu? Or a pre-existing condition? The most vulnerable are the elderly, and those that have underlying medical issues. I DO NOT BELITTLE ANYONE’S PASSING, I will pray for all those that left us to Rest In Peace, but strictly speaking numbers, how many of those 7,000 would have succumbed to factors other then Corona? I don’t think anyone will ever know but it has to be a number.

Lastly, our efforts are unprecedented. In my 50+ years on this planet I have never seen anything like this, stay at home, other methods.

So, I don’t believe those numbers of 250,000 deaths. Will I be proved wrong? Very possibly, but until then I’ll continue to have faith and pray those numbers are over-blown. You may agree, or disagree, some on this very thread have called me naive (and worse) and maybe they are correct; but that is what I believe. So, everyone stay safe, take your precautions, and let’s all look forward to when this is a memory.

Same can be said in other pandemics as far as contributing factors That caused deaths.

Stay safe as well.
__________________
" Even I don't wake up looking like Cindy Crawford".
Cindy Crawford

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline  
Old 5 April 2020, 12:24 PM   #5220
CalSRQ1
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
CalSRQ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Real Name: Chris
Location: Florida USA
Watch: 5513
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Yeah, so here is my opinion, my hope, and what I pray for. I have heard a lot of people (some on this thread) with extremely... Pessimistic views. First, I completely understand this is a very serious situation, and I have no knowledge of medicine or (very much) science. If this thread were about flying fighter jets in combat, then I would be a good knowledge base, but itís not. Joey Chitwood forgot more about medicine and science before breakfast this morning then I will know in my whole life. Heck, anyone that got a B in high-school science knows more then me; I fully admit. People have posted here some high-level sources as stating there will be 250,000 deaths from this virus. I choose not to believe it. Here are my reasons.

First, Spanish Flu killed (around) 600,000 in the early 1900s in my country (all of this relates to the US). That was over 100 years ago. Medicine has progressed thousands of times in the last 100 years. If I am correct, there were no antibiotics to fight this with, no ventilators, nothing compared to what we have today. Technology and knowledge are incredibly advanced from that time. I have faith our efforts will pay off.

Second, (about) seven thousand Americanís deaths have been attributed to Corona. My question, how many of these would have succumbed to another flu? Or a pre-existing condition? The most vulnerable are the elderly, and those that have underlying medical issues. I DO NOT BELITTLE ANYONEíS PASSING, I will pray for all those that left us to Rest In Peace, but strictly speaking numbers, how many of those 7,000 would have succumbed to factors other then Corona? I donít think anyone will ever know but it has to be a number.

Lastly, our efforts are unprecedented. In my 50+ years on this planet I have never seen anything like this, stay at home, other methods.

So, I donít believe those numbers of 250,000 deaths. Will I be proved wrong? Very possibly, but until then Iíll continue to have faith and pray those numbers are over-blown. You may agree, or disagree, some on this very thread have called me naive (and worse) and maybe they are correct; but that is what I believe. So, everyone stay safe, take your precautions, and letís all look forward to when this is a memory.
Well said.
CalSRQ1 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2022, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.