The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2022, 12:30 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Carry on luggage size - US v International

After deciding I need a decent rolling carryon bag, I have quickly become confused with published bag sizing. Since so many here are seasoned business and international travelers, I am hoping for some guidance.

The bag will be used for carry on within the US (rare to no regional jets) and trips to and from Europe on major US carriers or their partners. I do not need something that meets internal EU flight restrictions.

The problem I am seeing is that nearly ALL bags dimensions exceed even US posted carry on sizing. While this seems okay for domestic flights, I have watched gate agents for BA and Lufthansa (on return flights) force people with some of these normal US carryon bags to check on bags at the gate.

I am looking at a TravelPro Platinum Elite 21” with dimensions of 23.5 x 14.5 x 9.

Also, a 2 wheel Eagle Creek Tarmac 22” at 22” x 13.75 x 9”.

While I prefer the 2 wheel design of the Eagle Creek in European cities, I can get a hell of a deal of the Travel Pro at my local Macy’s right now.

So, my question is, has anyone had problems with a 21 or 22 carryon?

Would this be okay for my needs or should I play it safe and get a specific international sized bag?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:55 AM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I fly really a lot and I would go for the smallest 4 wheel spinner. I use the RIMOWA original carry on and it has never been denied as cabin luggage.

For me it is important to exclude all discussions during check-in or be forced to gate check-in at the last moment and having to wait 40 minutes at the luggage carousel.
I never fly budget airlines though. They enforce so many silly rules I just don’t want to deal with the BS.

It’s hard to believe that there is not yet one standard for this.
Old 8 October 2022, 01:06 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Extensive international traveler here. Europe, Asia, budget carriers, everything.

You want 55x40x20cm or 21.7x15.8x7.9in

You *will* be refused with some carriers for having a 23cm/9.1in deep suitcase if they measure. Not to mention some smaller carriers have weight limits anyhow on carry on

I use a Rimowa Cabin S and have (various models, same size) for a decade. If you buy the regular Cabin, which is made for the American market, you run the risk of getting checked if they get out the measuring tape.

With all this being said though, if you’re hubbed in the states and randomly take an international trip once per year, who even cares. Get the bigger American size one and that way you have more room for stuff on the majority of your travels.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:10 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

It’s hard to believe that there is not yet one standard for this.
Or maybe have one unit for measuring like the metric system? That would make too much sense too
Old 8 October 2022, 02:15 AM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Extensive international traveler here. Europe, Asia, budget carriers, everything.

You want 55x40x20cm or 21.7x15.8x7.9in

You *will* be refused with some carriers for having a 23cm/9.1in deep suitcase if they measure. Not to mention some smaller carriers have weight limits anyhow on carry on

I use a Rimowa Cabin S and have (various models, same size) for a decade. If you buy the regular Cabin, which is made for the American market, you run the risk of getting checked if they get out the measuring tape.

With all this being said though, if you’re hubbed in the states and randomly take an international trip once per year, who even cares. Get the bigger American size one and that way you have more room for stuff on the majority of your travels.
I was actually planning on picking up a cabin in Munich in a couple weeks but was shocked to see that Rimowa prices have shot up at least 30% since I bought my Topas in 2016. I am not sure if I would get enough use out of it to justify $1,100 after VAT refund.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 October 2022, 02:19 AM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I am frustrated about the lack of standards for size but more so by even weight.

On my last flight on Southwest down to Houston a little old lady needed help getting her bag in the compartment so I assisted and was stunned to find out her bag weighed at least 40 pounds. There was no way she could even get it off the ground. How the hell do you even get that much stuff in such a small bag??

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 October 2022, 02:22 AM   #7
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I currently have a little over 2.2m miles in my Delta SkyMiles account, for context.

If you fly coach, I would consider an appropriately sized bag without wheels (RedOxx, Tom Bihn, etc), or something like the Cabin S size from Rimowa that is clearly undersized. On a late boarding full flight, almost anything else increases the likelihood you get hassled at some point.

Avoid check-in counters like the plague. Getting to the gate unmolested is more than half the battle.

I haven’t seen an actual bag sizer used in years and years and years. It’s the weight test (less than 7kg in places) and the agent eyeball test that usually starts the argument.

I fly business/first exclusively, and can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been asked about a bag in the last decade. The airlines are, generally, much more lenient with premium cabin fliers.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 02:23 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
After United lost one of my bags earlier this year I went and got this

https://www.tumi.com/p/continental-d...n-01171771041/

Fits in the overhead bin and now I can pack essentials like clothes and toiletries. Built in locks, place for a removable power pack for charging and a garment bag and shoe covers.

Works great
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 02:40 AM   #9
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I was actually planning on picking up a cabin in Munich in a couple weeks but was shocked to see that Rimowa prices have shot up at least 30% since I bought my Topas in 2016. I am not sure if I would get enough use out of it to justify $1,100 after VAT refund.
That's because they were bought out by LVMH recently. Hence the new branding and slightly different aesthetics :)

I'm somewhat of a Rimowa fanatic though and have owned over 20 pieces between my wife and myself. I actually *just* refreshed my travel duo, with a Classic Cabin S and Original Trunk. These are my favorite pieces Rimowa currently produces.

Also, side note, there's a difference in the Made in Germany and Made in North America ones as the metal is sourced differently and slightly different production. A lot of US guys aren't aware that when you buy in the states it's produced in Canada, everywhere else in the world, Made in Germany. I only purchase made in Germany models.

My current pair:

Old 8 October 2022, 02:43 AM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post

I haven’t seen an actual bag sizer used in years and years and years. It’s the weight test (less than 7kg in places) and the agent eyeball test that usually starts the argument.

I fly business/first exclusively, and can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been asked about a bag in the last decade. The airlines are, generally, much more lenient with premium cabin fliers.
Agree on first point. Bag sizers aren't used really but if you get an eye/then questioned, I have seen them pull out the tape. Haha.

Also definitely agree on your second point as well. You get a pass (and a lot of times better allowances anyhow) if you're flying business. The amount of times I fly with wife/little on in tow, just makes this non-feasible for me though. Not to mention a lot of budget carriers don't even have an actual 'business' section, it's all the same. This is when you're most likely to be hassled in my experience.
Old 8 October 2022, 01:42 PM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A lot of US guys aren't aware that when you buy in the states it's produced in Canada, everywhere else in the world, Made in Germany. I only purchase made in Germany models.
That may be true in the retail stores, but I just took US delivery of a new Twist today. Ordered online, and it’s made in Germany.
Old 8 October 2022, 01:58 PM   #12
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That may be true in the retail stores, but I just took US delivery of a new Twist today. Ordered online, and it’s made in Germany.
It's because you had a twist, US warehouses don't have the leather handles/locks on hand. Also, there have been supply shortages this year and here and there, German factory gave some US stores supply on certain MW this year due to it. However, 90% (honestly more like 99%) of the time, your metal piece is coming from NA factory whilst buying in the US. The poly stuff isn't made in Germany anywhere in the world though, this is metal case specific. Think about it, how would it logistically make any sense for them to import from EU from a business perspective. The entire purpose of having the NA factory is to profit more.

I don't say this as some weird brag, but I'm very, very well versed with Rimowa and actually sourced ~50 Rimowa pieces for people in the last 3 months alone. Many US guys have me as a point of contact to import their cases for this sole purpose of not wanting a Made in NA case as there is a difference

*I will say this is all as of up until September. So unless they've started some new policies for Q4, should still hold.
Old 8 October 2022, 02:39 PM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's because you had a twist, US warehouses don't have the leather handles/locks on hand. Also, there have been supply shortages this year and here and there, German factory gave some US stores supply on certain MW this year due to it. However, 90% (honestly more like 99%) of the time, your metal piece is coming from NA factory whilst buying in the US. The poly stuff isn't made in Germany anywhere in the world though, this is metal case specific. Think about it, how would it logistically make any sense for them to import from EU from a business perspective. The entire purpose of having the NA factory is to profit more.

I don't say this as some weird brag, but I'm very, very well versed with Rimowa and actually sourced ~50 Rimowa pieces for people in the last 3 months alone. Many US guys have me as a point of contact to import their cases for this sole purpose of not wanting a Made in NA case as there is a difference

*I will say this is all as of up until September. So unless they've started some new policies for Q4, should still hold.
Well hell…

Should I rethink my choice of not going with the Cabin S given that I can pick one up in a week from Hetzeneckers???

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 October 2022, 02:51 PM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Since you’re an expert, I’m interested to know more about the assertion that Canada and Germany are using different metal in the cases? I’ve read reviews from folks who toured the factory and were told very directly that the Al/Mg alloy they use is identical rolls of material coming from the same supplier to both factories. I don’t know about CZ now that they seem to be making at least one of the metal case models, too. What do you know, or have heard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2022, 02:51 PM   #15
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Well hell…

Should I rethink my choice of not going with the Cabin S given that I can pick one up in a week from Hetzeneckers???
Travel there with a throwaway duffel, buy it in Munich with a strong dollar, get your VAT refund and carry it on when you come back, call it a day
Old 8 October 2022, 02:55 PM   #16
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since you’re an expert, I’m interested to know more about the assertion that Canada and Germany are using different metal in the cases? I’ve read reviews from folks who toured the factory and were told very directly that the Al/Mg alloy they use is identical rolls of material coming from the same supplier to both factories. I don’t know about CZ now that they seem to be making at least one of the metal case models, too. What do you know, or have heard?

You really think that Canada, is going to import material from EU? You realize how completely non-sensical, again, that would be from a business perspective. It’s not some Uber rare earth metal that can only be obtained from a certain region. There’s tariffs/taxes on raw materials like this, it’s sourced locally. Also there was never an assertion that they’re using a *different metal*, not sure where you’re pulling that from.

That’s complete and utter smoke blowing from whatever reviews you’ve read (could even be employed by Rimowa). If you handle the same model you can tell a difference in pliability. Even if those are normal folks, any tour they had would have been as consumers. Why would Rimowa ever admit that one of their factories are inferior or materials differ? It’s kind of obvious this would never ever be mentioned publicly. They're owned by LVMH now too, just like LV will tell you that the made in US bag is as high quality as made in France. Right.
Old 8 October 2022, 02:58 PM   #17
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Thanks.

Old 8 October 2022, 03:55 PM   #18
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
dmash : I just bought a NOS made in Germany Rimowa Limbo Cabin Plus. I liked the bigger size vs. Cabin or Cabin S (even if I need to have it gate checked with some airlines).

What's your take on the Limbo (pre-LVMH) compared to the hybrid (post-LVMH)?
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 04:02 PM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang View Post
dmash : I just bought a NOS made in Germany Rimowa Limbo Cabin Plus. I liked the bigger size vs. Cabin or Cabin S (even if I need to have it gate checked with some airlines).

What's your take on the Limbo (pre-LVMH) compared to the hybrid (post-LVMH)?
So the LV buyout changes mainly were just

-Price Increase
-Advertising/Marketing overhaul
-Small aesthetic changes regarding the logo on the cases/removing the luggage holder on the Topas series
-Minor interior differences
-More color options

The integrity and structure is relatively the same pre and post LVMH, nothing drastic happened as they didn’t all of the sudden close up the German factory and outsource to a cheaper plant.

And yeah! As I mentioned above, if you’re mainly a US domestic traveler and can swing the larger carry one, by all means do it. Buy what’s beneficial for the majority of your travels, don’t paint yourself in a corner for a once a year trip.
Old 8 October 2022, 04:15 PM   #20
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
Quote:

-Price Increase
-Small aesthetic changes regarding the logo on the cases/removing the luggage holder on the Topas series
-More color options

The integrity and structure is relatively the same pre and post LVMH, nothing drastic happened as they didn’t all of the sudden close up the German factory and outsource to a cheaper plant.

And yeah! As I mentioned above, if you’re mainly a US domestic traveler and can swing the larger carry one, by all means do it. Buy what’s beneficial for the majority of your travels, don’t paint yourself in a corner for a once a year trip.
Thanks!
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 04:22 PM   #21
Andad

Watch: A few.
Based on the sizes off the carry on cases in this discussion I take it that none of you have any checked baggage?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:01 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Based on the sizes off the carry on cases in this discussion I take it that none of you have any checked baggage?
We always check bags, my carryon addition was due to United losing my bag
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:41 PM   #23
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I haven’t checked a bag in a very long time.

Old 9 October 2022, 12:06 AM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

@Andad

The black one pictured above is my checked bag^

I have used many Check In M and Trunk models from Rimowa over the years.
Old 9 October 2022, 12:24 AM   #25
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I recently received an Away bag as a gift, the "Bigger Carry-On Flex" sized externally at 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6 inches per the website. We generally fly AA domestically and their partners internationally with Platinum status. Not a problem on the domestic AA planes. On the older BA 737's we flew, the bag fit juuuust right in the overhead. I was prepared to gate-check it if needed, but I think for OneWorld Sapphire they give a lot of leeway on bag size if it fits. They were much pickier for non-status fliers and on one flight required those without status to gate check anything with wheels on a packed flight.

So in short if you have status on the airlines you'll be flying I wouldn't sweat it. If not, I'd consider getting a smaller international carrier friendly size in case they measure.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:53 AM   #26
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have the 25” Topas (now “Original”) that I have checked on about a dozen times so far. It has held up well and is starting to get some nice dings and scratches. Just like my Sub!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 October 2022, 12:55 AM   #27
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I recently received an Away bag as a gift, the "Bigger Carry-On Flex" sized externally at 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6 inches per the website. We generally fly AA domestically and their partners internationally with Platinum status. Not a problem on the domestic AA planes. On the older BA 737's we flew, the bag fit juuuust right in the overhead. I was prepared to gate-check it if needed, but I think for OneWorld Sapphire they give a lot of leeway on bag size if it fits. They were much pickier for non-status fliers and on one flight required those without status to gate check anything with wheels on a packed flight.

So in short if you have status on the airlines you'll be flying I wouldn't sweat it. If not, I'd consider getting a smaller international carrier friendly size in case they measure.
Well, now I am leaning towards the smaller Cabin. I bought two of the medium check-in Away bags for my daughters and have been very impressed with the bang for the buck. The main benefit was my girls could pick their colors beyond basic black.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 October 2022, 02:44 AM   #28
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

-Price Increase
-More color options

Imho the fit and finish has drastically improved with the new owners and so has the interior.
Finally worth the money
Old 9 October 2022, 03:00 AM   #29
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Imho the fit and finish has drastically improved with the new owners and so has the interior.
Finally worth the money
I don't disagree. The Classic getting black wheels and the better interior with actual dividers instead of straps and the junker planes is a huge upgrade. The bag attachment on the top of the Topas was a gimmick and really functioned poorly anyways. I also like how they're putting out some Carryall type bags with luggage attachment points on the backside, really great for travel.

The only thing I miss is the classic royal blue mesh on the Original silvers. It was nostalgic and reminded me of a more refined time of travel.

I'm romantic in that sense though, I had my Eames office chair done up in a special blue leather reminiscent of Pan Am