The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 04:11 PM   #1
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
About the "Stretch Issue"...

Looking through different threads around this topic procedures on how to avoid stretch in a bracelet seems to go in opposite directions. In one of the threads someone was refering to Rolex saying that you should keep the bracelet tight, but not so tight that you cut off blood suply to your hand. This would decrease the pin movements inside the links as I understand it.

Applying this approach, two questions;

1. Wouldn't it also mean a lot of wear if you apply preassure on the pin/links at all times (preassure increase when you move your arm/hand etc.?)

2. What is tight? Is it so that you don't get any movement of the watch on the arm, or is it more of a very small amount of space available between the arm and the bracelet?

Right now, I think I could move the micro adjustement in, but then it will be really tight :-)
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:15 PM   #2
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
„Pressure“ is not the problem.

The issue is motion between links and pins, particularly when dirt speeds up the grinding process.
And the looser you wear the watch, the more motion you will get between these parts.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

Honestly talking here, Rolex or any other durable watches with metal bracelets will eventually brake down and stretch.
To prevent happening to soon you just need to clean up your watch every 2 weeks.

I wear it tight and I am happy. I dont like watches move around my wrist all time. Of course not too tight to loose my hand :)
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:49 PM   #4
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

The issue is motion between links and pins, particularly when dirt speeds up the grinding process.
And the looser you wear the watch, the more motion you will get between these parts.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:50 PM   #5
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Tight or snug so the watch stays in one place on your wrist, ideally behind the wrist protruding bone. Now tight or snug does not mean it should feel like you’re strangulating your wrist. It mean tight enough so it won’t wiggle around or move downward toward the back of your palm.
Cleaning the watch and the bracelet regularly also helps maintain it in optimal conditions since it removes grit and dirt that cause more friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2020, 06:50 PM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Dirt is the main issue. Keep it clean.

If you wear it very loose the weight of the head is going to pull it this way and that. Coupled with dirt you get this wear affect. It speeds it up if it’s looser.

Avoid excessively loose and wear it so it’s comfortable.

Only time I really get concerned about figment is on PM watches, like the Daytona. It’s quite heavy so too loose and it constantly sliding down the wrist in the mornings. Get it setup well in store, quite a snug fit with easy link closed and open is good for summer.

Glide lock in the subs is a breeze, wish they all had it
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Bigblu10
Banned

1. Wear it on the wrist instead of down against the hand. No pressure when worn above the wrist bone unless you swell in the heat.
Tight is always better than loose. Wear it so that is remains put when you strap it on.
Keep clean with dish soap and water on a regular basis. Dirt is the enemy that causes wear in the metal pins and links.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:05 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Keeping it clean is probably the most important thing. Fit is a personal preference but for me I prefer about a pinky gap under the clasp for comfort
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:11 PM   #9
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Michael Young on speed dial... enjoy your watches, my friends
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:12 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Everyone keeps talking about dirt. Unless you play in a sandpit all day, it's not really about dirt. Wearing it flapping around like you're in Miami Vice is what will trash the bracelet. Lateral movement/leverage makes it loose.
Old 24 February 2020, 10:12 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Michael Young on speed dial... enjoy your watches, my friends

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:53 PM   #12
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Just wear it barely tight enough so that the watch does not move around on your wrist. That will reduce motion to reduce wear and stress between the links.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:00 AM   #13
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Everyone keeps talking about dirt. Unless you play in a sandpit all day, it's not really about dirt. Wearing it flapping around like you're in Miami Vice is what will trash the bracelet. Lateral movement/leverage makes it loose.
You for sure have not been cleaning watch bracelets or removed links from bracelets that have been worn for some time and haven not been cleaned.

I have and I can assure you, they get dirty! Fast and very!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:22 AM   #14
afjag256
"TRF" Member

I think it is more of a concern for the 5-digit bracelets than the 6-digit.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:27 AM   #15
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
Any bracelet is susceptible given the right circumstances.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:58 AM   #16
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

This and keep it clean
Old 25 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #17
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I just wear it how I like and if it wears and needs to be repaired, them so be it. Why would you wear a watch in a manner that is less comfortable to you just to avoid wear? Things wear, you fix/r&r parts... simple. Enjoy your watch. The new bracelets are much more robust than the old ones and those STILL lasted quite a while before needing any attention.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:27 AM   #18
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Realistically, it takes quite a long time for either new or old bracelets to show stretch...we are talking years until repair is needed. Take a look at some of the vintage pieces being sold. Sometimes you see 20 year old bracelets that are ready for some work, but for the most part, it's not something that's going to happen to you a few years into ownership.

Another thing to think about...how much is a bracelet? $1k, 2k? Not to expensive if you have to do a full replacement in the event of a disaster.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:46 AM   #19
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Any bracelet is susceptible given the right circumstances.
dP
It is always a matter of degree. But I haven’t seen any stretch in the 6-digits yet (at least the Oyster style), and some are now a decade old. Time will tell, but they seem less susceptible.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:50 AM   #20
Mbalce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubsy View Post
I just wear it how I like and if it wears and needs to be repaired, them so be it. Why would you wear a watch in a manner that is less comfortable to you just to avoid wear? Things wear, you fix/r&r parts... simple. Enjoy your watch. The new bracelets are much more robust than the old ones and those STILL lasted quite a while before needing any attention.
This
Mbalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:22 AM   #21
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Realistically, it takes quite a long time for either new or old bracelets to show stretch...we are talking years until repair is needed. Take a look at some of the vintage pieces being sold. Sometimes you see 20 year old bracelets that are ready for some work, but for the most part, it's not something that's going to happen to you a few years into ownership.

Another thing to think about...how much is a bracelet? $1k, 2k? Not to expensive if you have to do a full replacement in the event of a disaster.
Depends on metal. A bracelet for my YG Sub 116618LB is about 15K to replace new. Not exactly cheap.
Old 25 February 2020, 03:28 AM   #22
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

10+years of daily wear will create the stretch, it happens over time :)
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #23
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You for sure have not been cleaning watch bracelets or removed links from bracelets that have been worn for some time and haven not been cleaned.

I have and I can assure you, they get dirty! Fast and very!
For sure you know not of what you speak.
I have worked on and cleaned many watch bracelets, and removed and replaced many links. I'm well aware how dirty they can be.
You shouldn't make assumptions.
I never said they don't get dirty.
Old 25 February 2020, 03:35 AM   #24
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Depends on metal. A bracelet for my YG Sub 116618LB is about 15K to replace new. Not exactly cheap.
Fair point - I should have clarified SS only! PM will stretch and be expensive to replace.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:24 AM   #25
doramas
Banned

It is also very important to wash the watch very often. This prevents dirt from affecting the pins
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:44 AM   #26
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Another opinion to just keep your bracelet/watch clean. As long as you do that, size it however is comfortable and wear won't be a significant issue. I'm talking about SS BTW... I would think that gold will wear more significantly regardless of how clean you keep it.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
Another opinion to just keep your bracelet/watch clean. As long as you do that, size it however is comfortable and wear won't be a significant issue. I'm talking about SS BTW... I would think that gold will wear more significantly regardless of how clean you keep it.
Absolutely no wear yet on my gold Oyster bracelet. 2.5 years old and wear it every day. So far so good.
Old 25 February 2020, 06:01 AM   #28
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
can someone actually explain HOW to clean a bracelet? Are you using ultrasonic cleaners? What if the process? Washing it like you wash your hand doesn't seem like it would do much to get dirt out of the PINS.

Would love an answer to this because it's a concern I have but no one ever goes into detail on how to prevent.
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:07 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
True.

Personally, the 6d ones will simply snap before 'stretching'. The 5d ones age beautifully with my stretched skin. I actually like normal watch aging and character development. My kids can deal with it when I'm dead if they don't like it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:14 AM   #30
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
can someone actually explain HOW to clean a bracelet? Are you using ultrasonic cleaners? What if the process? Washing it like you wash your hand doesn't seem like it would do much to get dirt out of the PINS.

Would love an answer to this because it's a concern I have but no one ever goes into detail on how to prevent.
I tend to try to clean my watch every day just like I shower every day. That way it really doesn't have a chance for dirt and grime to really get a foothold inside the link holes where the pins ride.