The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 January 2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Evmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
Problem with Chrono?

I just bought a new Speedy Professional Moonwatch from Jomashop and once I would it and checked the chronology function, I found something odd:

When the chronology second hand moves between 59 seconds and 1:00, the minute sub-dial advances to show 1min. So, If i stop the chronology at 59.3 or 59.5 seconds, the watch will register 1:59.5.

Has anyone else seen/experienced this? It seems like it shouldn't be happening. I looked at a friend's speedy (different model) and his chronology behavior seemed normal. Thinking I should probably return it as defective?

Thanks for any advice!

-Evan
Evmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 10:27 PM   #2
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Congrats on your Speedmaster
Mine behaves like yours too. It doesn’t bother me, I use the chronograph function quite often...at least once a day... and for my use that doesn’t have any effect at all.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 01:28 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
This is normal. Your Speedmaster Professional with Caliber 1861 features a "jumping" minutes register, meaning that the minutes elapsed are advanced as you describe. The chronograph's elapsed time should be read as minutes registered on the chronograph's minutes sub-dial, plus seconds registered by the chronograph's central seconds hand.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Pius XIII
"TRF" Member

Same experience here on my last speedmaster. From my research this seems to be quite typical on most speedies.
Pius XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 01:03 PM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Mine does that as well, it's normal
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 11:34 PM   #6
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmw View Post
I just bought a new Speedy Professional Moonwatch from Jomashop and once I would it and checked the chronology function, I found something odd:

When the chronology second hand moves between 59 seconds and 1:00, the minute sub-dial advances to show 1min. So, If i stop the chronology at 59.3 or 59.5 seconds, the watch will register 1:59.5.

Has anyone else seen/experienced this? It seems like it shouldn't be happening. I looked at a friend's speedy (different model) and his chronology behavior seemed normal. Thinking I should probably return it as defective?

Thanks for any advice!

-Evan
It's working as intended. Don't worry about it. Well not as intended but these are the mechanics of the movement. It's just the way it works.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Evmw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
This is normal. Your Speedmaster Professional with Caliber 1861 features a "jumping" minutes register, meaning that the minutes elapsed are advanced as you describe. The chronograph's elapsed time should be read as minutes registered on the chronograph's minutes sub-dial, plus seconds registered by the chronograph's central seconds hand.
I think this is the issue - the minute counter seems to "creep" and not jump. I compared to my friend's Automatic 3515.20 SS Speedmaster Date with white dial (couldn't find the exact movement), his did "jump" to the 1min mark on the sub-dial when the chrono second hand crossed the 60 second mark. My problem is that my speedy creeps the second hand subdial for a full second between 58.5 and 59.5 seconds, and the minute subdial registers the minute as being completed before60 seconds has elapsed if you stop the chrono at 59.5 seconds.
Old 1 February 2018, 01:16 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watching mine, I guess it's possible the chronograph's minutes register advances a fraction of a second before the chronograph seconds hand passes top-dead-center. My sense is you could ask Omega to correct this, but their response may be to inform you that your watch is performing as designed.

As for the hand of the hours register not being centered, I suppose you could also ask them to correct this. It should be centered with the chronograph not running and reset to zero.

Speedmasters produced prior to 1968 used Caliber 321, which was prone to having its hours register creep a tiny bit. Without switching the chronograph on, an owner may have observed the hours hand advancing a tiny distance over the course of, say, a month or so. If he pressed the button to reset the chronograph, he would see the hand on the hours register move a tiny distance back to top-dead-center.

If you think your watch's hours register may be creeping like this, then use your watch without activating the chronograph for a couple of weeks, and observe the hand in the hours register to see if it seems to be advancing a tiny distance. If so, then you might ask Omega to correct that. I'm sure this is not a common problem with Caliber 1861 in the contemporary Speedmaster Professional, though.
Old 1 February 2018, 03:40 AM   #9
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My 4030 Zenith Daytona has a little bit of creepiness with the 30 minute subdial hand, but it does snap. Both my Speedies snap pretty cleanly.
Old 1 February 2018, 03:46 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Normal
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #11
Evmw
"TRF" Member

Below is an image of the issue. seems off to me that it would have started advancing at 58sec and completed the tick to 1min at 59 sec as shown

IMG_5638.jpg
Old 1 February 2018, 08:32 PM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmw View Post
Below is an image of the issue. seems off to me that it would have started advancing at 58sec and completed the tick to 1min at 59 sec as shown

Attachment 923990
Where did you buy the watch?
Old 10 February 2018, 02:57 PM   #13
Evmw
"TRF" Member

Got it at Jomashop
Old 12 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #14
eugeneandresson
"TRF" Member

Mine does it to. And it doesn’t bother me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eugeneandresson is offline   Reply With Quote