The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2017, 04:41 AM   #31
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Look I don't need to tell you all to take any advice you get on a message board with a grain of salt, you are all smart enough to know that on your own. IMHO Lifelock adds very little value and isn't cheap, you can accomplish 98% of what they do by putting fraud alerts on your accounts with all of the credit monitoring bureaus and subscribing to a weekly/daily report monitoring service ironically like the one with equifax. I wouldn't worry about losing your right to sue equifax, they are insulated and you are not going to get anything out of the regardless of what happens. I'm totally fine using their free monitoring and you should be too. If not than use a competitors they are for the most part exactly the same. Do your own due diligence come to your own conclusions, but these are mine for what it's worth. If you disagree I don't blame you but lets have a constructive discussion and leave the personal, conjecture and hyperbole out of it, would hate to get this important thread closed. again JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 07:14 AM   #32
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I use the MyIDCare system the USG offered after the OPM breach. I get an email for any ping on my credentials.
I got MyIDcare as well... I hope it's enough to mitigate potential issues. That data breach was pretty bad
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 07:35 AM   #33
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
We are using Equifax for fraud coverage! What a joke. I think Costco has a service we will look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 September 2017, 07:51 AM   #34
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Wife and I have discussed Lifelock from time to time, maybe it's time to revisit this? Anyone out there have any experience with them or similar services?
You spend your entire life building your credit and can have all of that wiped out but some hacker in east Jabip.
I have been using them for years and have top package. I think it is well worth it Tim.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 08:53 AM   #35
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I am pretty familiar with internet security given my place of work. The horror stories I have been made aware of due to treating this as a passive function rather of active are mind -boggling. Government, utilities, corporations alike.

The most sought-after personal information is one's medical records, not financial records, interestingly enough. Here's why--(taken from WSJ article):

"Interviews with nearly a dozen healthcare executives, cybersecurity investigators and fraud experts provide a detailed account of the underground market for stolen patient data.

The data for sale includes names, birth dates, policy numbers, diagnosis codes and billing information. Fraudsters use this data to create fake IDs to buy medical equipment or drugs that can be resold, or they combine a patient number with a false provider number and file made-up claims with insurers, according to experts who have investigated cyber attacks on healthcare organizations.

Medical identity theft is often not immediately identified by a patient or their provider, giving criminals years to milk such credentials. That makes medical data more valuable than credit cards, which tend to be quickly canceled by banks once fraud is detected."
Old 10 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Beware of phishing scams

I'm already getting phishing emails asking to provide personal information to see if I was exposed in the hack. The scammers are exploiting the breach to try to obtain PII from folks nervous about their exposure.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 01:06 AM   #37
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
You can check to see if you may be impacted here.

https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibi...igibility.html
Old 10 September 2017, 01:35 AM   #38
THC

Watch: 16610M
everything is getting hacked nowadays and LifeLock could be next... just sayin..
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 01:36 AM   #39
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle13 View Post
I have credit karma monitoring on, but im looking to sign up for something even better. Ill be looking into life lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5673.JPG (124.8 KB, 160 views)
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 01:38 AM   #40
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Wife and I have discussed Lifelock from time to time, maybe it's time to revisit this? Anyone out there have any experience with them or similar services?
You spend your entire life building your credit and can have all of that wiped out but some hacker in east Jabip.
Been a subscriber for a while now and in my experience it's been well worth it.
They not only alert you to a problem but they do the heavy lifting getting things sorted out.

Small price to pay for the security it offers.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 05:37 AM   #41
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I used to have American Express Credit Secure. I have never been overly happy with them.

I had thought about LifeLock quite a few times, but always hesitated.

I just signed up though. Not worth the hassle or risk.

On the phone (on hold) cancelling Credit Secure right now.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 05:43 AM   #42
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
I was wondering if anyone has placed a fraud alert with one of the three credit reporting companies (Transunion, Equifax, Experian) after hearing about this breach?
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 08:54 AM   #43
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
GREAT info Paul! Choose your paths carefully. Their stock got crushed in after hours trading - we'll see what happens over the next few months.
They had insiders sell (unscheduled trades) right before the announcement. I can't wait to hear their reasoning/justification!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 09:09 AM   #44
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
They had insiders sell (unscheduled trades) right before the announcement. I can't wait to hear their reasoning/justification!
Equifax stock down another 8.2% in today's trading.

Thursday close: $142.xx per share
Today's close: $113.xx per share

Bloomberg had one report showing the company does not have enough insurance to deal with the 143 Million records that were compromised. This is before the lawsuits (possible class action too), Congressional inquiries, possible fines and new regulation.

I hope they can make it....9500+ employees are also depending on the survival.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:14 AM   #45
Boothroyd

A drag is worrying about fraudulent tax returns filed under your SSN. None of the credit monitoring services will manage that eventuality, to my understanding.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:52 AM   #46
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
A drag is worrying about fraudulent tax returns filed under your SSN. None of the credit monitoring services will manage that eventuality, to my understanding.
My tax preparer uses an IP PIN to file my returns.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-f...ion-pin-ip-pin
Old 12 September 2017, 10:55 AM   #47
Boothroyd

Yeah, I like that idea, but only 3 states currently have eligibility to opt in, it appears, Steve. They should make this universal ASAP.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:16 AM   #48
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
They should make this universal ASAP.
Agree 100%
Old 15 September 2017, 06:50 AM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I signed up for likelock as I mentioned above.

Since the day I signed up, it stated it was updating my credit score. It would take 24 hours. If it didn't, I should call them.

Well, it hasn't. I've called theee times. Each time they were "experiencing higher than normal call volumes".

57 minute wait was the shortest I was quoted. And each time after they quote the anticipated wait they tell me that my call is important and someone will be with me soon.

Going to email them now. I wonder how long before they respond.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:01 AM   #50
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have three monitoring services active due to various previous breaches.

None of them alerted me to this event. Collusion?

And people still trust these criminals?

Quote:
Equifax used the word 'admin' for the login and password of a database
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/14/equi...-database.html
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:02 AM   #51
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Your email is important to us as well. We will get back to you in 2 months or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I signed up for likelock as I mentioned above.

Since the day I signed up, it stated it was updating my credit score. It would take 24 hours. If it didn't, I should call them.

Well, it hasn't. I've called theee times. Each time they were "experiencing higher than normal call volumes".

57 minute wait was the shortest I was quoted. And each time after they quote the anticipated wait they tell me that my call is important and someone will be with me soon.

Going to email them now. I wonder how long before they respond.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:42 AM   #52
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I have three monitoring services active due to various previous breaches.

None of them alerted me to this event. Collusion?

And people still trust these criminals?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/14/equi...-database.html

The monitoring services only let you know when someone accesses your credit info from the bureaus. So there'd be no way for the monitoring service to know that Equifax was hacked. In a reverse way - it's semi-good news that you have no alerts. It means the black hats who stole the data, nor the cretins who bought the data, have used your data...yet...

The hack, by the way, was made possible due to a web patch that was never applied to an announced Apache Struts CVE-2017-5638 vulnerability back in March. The failure to patch may have been due to an outsourced server management firm not performing to their SLA.

If it were up to me, I'd legislate that the 3 credit bureaus shall not outsource. And set some high standards that they each hack the hell out of each other 24x7x365 to plug any and all security gaps.

Experian, TransUnion and Equifax compete but the data is singular - meaning there is only one set of credit facts pertaining to you personally. Their only differentiator is the proprietary algorithms each employs to predict if, or when, and to whom you may default on an obligation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #53
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Thank you, Equifax! (Large Hack on US Credit Agency)

I put the FREEZE on today!

Some information that might be useful...
You can call of do this online.
Attached Images
File Type: png 15538.png (96.8 KB, 68 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 05:13 AM   #54
kulak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It could be worse. The Chinese hacked the Office of Personnel Management and stole all the personal information for millions of Americans who applied for US government security clearances. Way more detailed and complete personal information than Equifax keeps.
OPM data + Equifax data could be used to easily identify individuals at risk of blackmail and is a national security risk.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:33 AM   #55
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
OPM data + Equifax data could be used to easily identify individuals at risk of blackmail and is a national security risk.
They didn't need Equifax. They already got everything the credit bureaus maintain as part of my application for the clearance.

The OPM hack exposed everyone actively working for the US defense and intelligence agencies (and their contractors) to compromise. It's a massive national security risk that was essentially glazed over by the US government when it happened. Anyone who thinks they can trust the government with personal data because they have nothing to hide needs to consider what a criminal hack on that unprotected data exposes them to.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:42 AM   #56
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
read the fine print on your LifeLock and other fraud detection providers' limitations. hint, if the credit and lien holders don't participate with these 3rd party firms, these added "security" services can't do a thing to help you.

therefore, they're not worth the money and giving even more of your info to another Delaware numbered entity is actually adding to your risk.

just pay $20 and check your credit report every 12 months and avoid forums or somed sites where people can track your interests and potential net worth
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:25 AM   #57
kulak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They didn't need Equifax. They already got everything the credit bureaus maintain as part of my application for the clearance.

The OPM hack exposed everyone actively working for the US defense and intelligence agencies (and their contractors) to compromise. It's a massive national security risk that was essentially glazed over by the US government when it happened. Anyone who thinks they can trust the government with personal data because they have nothing to hide needs to consider what a criminal hack on that unprotected data exposes them to.
I got the OPM letter but what choice do we have? I have to fill out the SF form every so often to be in position. I’m just saying Equifax gives visibility to current high balances citizens which can be correlated to OPM data. If person X has unmaintainable debt, works at Y defense Co, and has Z clearance they are possibly an easier target by foreign .gov.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:13 PM   #58
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
read the fine print on your LifeLock and other fraud detection providers' limitations. hint, if the credit and lien holders don't participate with these 3rd party firms, these added "security" services can't do a thing to help you.

therefore, they're not worth the money and giving even more of your info to another Delaware numbered entity is actually adding to your risk.

just pay $20 and check your credit report every 12 months and avoid forums or somed sites where people can track your interests and potential net worth
Lifelock started as a for pay service that did nothing more then charge you monthly for putting a fraud alert on your bureau reports that at the time were free if you contacted them yourself. Lifelock does little else now, their premium services are superfluous and unnecessary IMHO, what they offer you can do for yourself. They are alarmists and marketing geniuses, with really little value-add. Smoke and mirrors
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:25 PM   #59
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Thank you, Equifax! (Large Hack on US Credit Agency)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
You can check to see if you may be impacted here.

https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibi...igibility.html

Is this legit? I read that Equifax posted a llink to a fake site on their twitter account.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote