The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 September 2017, 12:32 PM   #1
subguy
"TRF" Member

sub bezel broken - please help

My Submariner bezel (newer model, ceramic bezel, 2 tone) has started to be able to rotate clockwise. It takes a little force, not much more than the correct CCW direction. Everything seems normal when rotating CCW: normal clicking, same feel.

My authorized dealer said it absolutely had to go back to Rolex for an estimate and repair. He said he couldn't do anything for me. I said what would you estimate? He said $800 to $1000. This is outrageous IMO, isn't it? I suppose I could find a jeweler who could fix it for less, but what would that do to my future with Rolex? I've heard that if anyone else does a repair to the watch Rolex won't service it. True?

Is it ok to keep using the watch or should I get it fixed ASAP?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 07:55 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If you're not a diver & it's not a health risk, does it necessarily need fixing?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 08:44 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
My Submariner bezel (newer model, ceramic bezel, 2 tone) has started to be able to rotate clockwise. It takes a little force, not much more than the correct CCW direction. Everything seems normal when rotating CCW: normal clicking, same feel.

My authorized dealer said it absolutely had to go back to Rolex for an estimate and repair. He said he couldn't do anything for me. I said what would you estimate? He said $800 to $1000. This is outrageous IMO, isn't it? I suppose I could find a jeweler who could fix it for less, but what would that do to my future with Rolex? I've heard that if anyone else does a repair to the watch Rolex won't service it. True?

Is it ok to keep using the watch or should I get it fixed ASAP?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
The ceramic bezels float on 3 spring-loaded ball bearings and a spring loaded click stop.So by trying to force the wrong way you have either broken the tiny spring or the spring stop pin,or possible damaged the delrin gasket.I would leave it till next service time as I doubt you use your watch as a working tool.And that repair should cost no way near what your AD quoted ,and if done as next routine service time, a very small charge if any parts are needed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Ashton_Watchmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Your best bet would be to send it in to Rolex to get a quote. How old is the watch? Is it still under warranty? The hytrel ring (official name of the gasket) only holds the bezel onto the case, so there won't be any damage there.
Ashton_Watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 11:52 AM   #5
subguy
"TRF" Member

Ok, thanks folks for taking the time to answer.

I had searched this a bit and I got the impression from some that the bezel might fall off the watch if I kept using it. You seem to think not. So I can keep using it as-is till next service if I don't let it bother me.

Tamiya: no, not diving with it so uni-directiona movement is not crucial. The watch has been three years since it last saw Rolex so it is out or warranty as i understand.

If I do send it to Rolex, do I have to have my AD do it or can I send it myself (registered and insured, of course?) Reason I ask is because he'e running a business and I remember he wanted at least $50 SH each way - even before Rolex's estimate.
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 01:46 PM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

I've never seen bezels fall off too easily usually needs pretty serious force... accidental or otherwise.

tn = USA?

Pretty sure anywhere in the world anyone can approach your local RSC personally, you don't have to get a referral from an AD last time I went Melbourne I can just walk in, they've got a front desk no appointment booking needed. Sign in the patient and leave it there for assessment, they'll get back to you with a quote in due course.
Old 12 September 2017, 04:39 PM   #7
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

I've worked at a Rolex workshop and the bezel inlay is not so difficult to change, if the right tools are used. Without, it would ruin the watch.
It's normal that s/h is not included in the service. But again it depends on the shops policy. It's not Rolex that demands it. Although the don't send ANYTHING without cost. Even if it's under warranty. If the shop "eats" the s/h costs, it's a good service, if not, its to be expected. About warranty (and it's not to sound like a pessimist), Rolex does not normally recognize damage to the watch like this, as a part of the warranty. I have seen it many times unfortunately. Crown, crystal , pushers, bezel/inlay and bracelet/clasp are not normally included in the warrenty unless it's clearly that the damage is from the factory. Scratches, cracks, dents etc. is viewed upon as being induced by the customer.
MaxPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:25 PM   #8
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPowers View Post
I've worked at a Rolex workshop and the bezel inlay is not so difficult to change, if the right tools are used. Without, it would ruin the watch.
How often would've you seen any spinny bezel falling off on its own violation, without any serious user intervention...?
Old 12 September 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
How often would've you seen any spinny bezel falling off on its own violation, without any serious user intervention...?
If you read my entire post, I mentioned that self induced errors is not covered by warranty. :)
Old 12 September 2017, 07:27 PM   #10
chris242
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
took my watch into RSC for a service, they charge $50 S/H to send it back to you, if you cannot come in to pick it up. Did you purchase this watch from the AD mentioned in your post?
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 07:44 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPowers View Post
If you read my entire post, I mentioned that self induced errors is not covered by warranty. :)
I know I know, I read it

Warranty limitations also depends on one's country's legislations too where the product is retailed locally.

In Australia there's various "fit for intended purpose" provisions that override anything the manufacturer may try to unreasonably limit. Even Apple has fallen foul... if they sell an iPhone with 12mth warranty on a 2yr plan, if the phone dies in the 13th month there's occasion they've been ordered to fix under warranty.
Old 14 September 2017, 06:46 AM   #12
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

I believe you. The rules differ a lot from country to country. Here in Denmark we have 24 months of (limited) warranty.
Old 14 September 2017, 10:45 AM   #13
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Although we all know that U.S. Rolex Service Centers are pushy about requiring a full movement service to accompany even minor repairs, since the watch is still pretty new-ish, they might be willing to repair the bezel without a full service, especially since they wouldn't need to open the case to do so.

You should also call around to other authorized dealers in your area. You might find a nearby Rolex dealer that has an in-house watchmaker who'll do the repair a'la carte. Some esteemed independent watchmakers also have access to genuine Rolex parts and would be more willing to do just the bezel repair.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:43 AM   #14
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Yes that estimate sounds way way too high unless the ceramic insert itself is damaged, which it sounds like it's not.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:17 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
. . . If I do send it to Rolex, do I have to have my AD do it or can I send it myself (registered and insured, of course?) Reason I ask is because he'e running a business and I remember he wanted at least $50 SH each way - even before Rolex's estimate.
You never have to use the AD. Check first to see what the RSC will accept and get their instructions. In the US, for example, they only accept USPS Registered Mail.