The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2007, 02:35 AM   #1
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Another round of cuts at my workplace

Well, looks like another round of cuts is set to go tomorrow. The company that I work for is not doing too well at this moment... loosing market share to Intel and nVidia.

We'll see how it goes in the next day or so...

It kind of hurts when the big boss earns 15 million (bonuses and pay) while the workers get shafted with no merit increases and more responsibilities.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I still have work...

What's worse is that folks that were laid off on the first round are coming back to work as contractors! I mean good that they have found a job, but at the same time, we shelled good amount of $$, and now we're paying them again? Sounds like double dipping to me.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 31 July 2007, 02:51 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Agree that happened with the company I worked for in 1992 good job I took early retirement.Company lost contract after 30 years and they wanted to take back some of the workforce on a monthly contract at half the wages.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Jeff
"TRF" Member

I went through that about 5 years ago too. Seeing the same with contractors coming back. It is the nature of the business in a high tech field I guess, but job security would be nice. I work for a company called EMC they manufacture large scale data storage solutions.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 03:51 AM   #4
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Job security would be nice, but real world can't really have it unless union comes in LOL.

Been to a unionized environment too back when i was in highschool, and it was a mad house during the meeting and votes.
Old 31 July 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Well good luck to you since I've been down that path before with being laid off. It took me a few years to get back into IT, but I'm glad that I was able too.

I know a few people in BC who are getting laid off in the lumber industry. I hear Alberta has plenty of jobs if you can find a place to live.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Vernon,
Hoping the job cuts pass you by.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Ronnie Rolex

Watch: SS-P YM
Good luck Vernon. Its got to be tough.
Ronnie Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
A lot of companies now pull off this stunt. They downsize and then take the same staff back as contractors. Benefits for the company are, they don't have to pay medical, holidays, pensions and when it's slack they just say sorry we have no work for you today.

I think it should be illegal.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 05:32 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
A lot of companies now pull off this stunt. They downsize and then take the same staff back as contractors. Benefits for the company are, they don't have to pay medical, holidays, pensions and when it's slack they just say sorry we have no work for you today.

I think it should be illegal.
Agreed, Adrian.....seen quite a bit of that in this part of the world too!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 05:32 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good luck to you, Vernon....hope your job goes from strength to strength!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 07:48 PM   #11
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
In my neck of the world, the DOS, DOD and US Military is doing the same. Also many US Contractors are being replaced with lower paid contractors from Bosnia, PI, India, etc.. Makes bussiness sense from the top end, but hurts if you are one of those Americans who looses a job.

I was in the bad way myself, as a Security Manager in Iraq, when I had to lay off several American, Brits, and Aussies and replace them with Nepali Gurkhas in order to stay within new budget the US Army gave me. Felt, bad but had no choice.

I know the same thing is happening in the technical field, many US jobs being outsourced to developing countries. Part of the new economic globilization I guess (OT, interesting read about this: check out the book "The World is Flat")

Roadcarver, hope all works out for you and your company. You are in my prayers, but sounds like for now you are secure. And agree with you on the Union issue, was in one for a while (IAFF) and did not care much for it.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote