The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2017, 03:21 AM   #1
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Sick of Cable, Pay too much for FiOS

Have any of you guys successfully cut your cable, what services do you use pay for? Does anyone use Tick Box or other streaming services? So sick of the bills for FiOS it's ridiculous!!!

Need local channels, and my wife insists on HBO and BRAVO, but short of that I don't care what we have, nothing I want is ever on anyway LOL
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:23 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Commercial infested... I hate cable TV and haven't watched it in years. At first I started downloading programmes I was interested in but now I have Netflix and it suits my needs.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:37 AM   #3
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I am interested in this thread. I would have cut services awhile ago but my wife needs to be watching her shows within days of them being on. That leaves Netflix out because she would be a year behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2017, 03:38 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Have any of you guys successfully cut your cable, what services do you use pay for? Does anyone use Tick Box or other streaming services? So sick of the bills for FiOS it's ridiculous!!!

Need local channels, and my wife insists on HBO and BRAVO, but short of that I don't care what we have, nothing I want is ever on anyway LOL
try hulu over 50 channels with all the espns (most of them). $40 a month just launched 3 weeks ago.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...up-1202407833/

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:43 AM   #5
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I started using Playstation Vue in November and love it. I pay $40 a month, no tax upcharges, no paying for equipment, includes cloud DVR, no contract, simply month to month. Downside is from time to time I get buffering because its a streaming service, but this is dependent on your in-home wifi strength.

One thing that was cool, was from time to time they will upgrade you to the next package for 3 months, then automatically revert if you dont sign up for it (no automatic increase in payment - call to cancel games).

Note - you'll need to purchase your own HW (if you dont have a playstation console). I use Amazon FireTV on two of my televisions, better than the firestick. What I like about Amazon FireTV, is that I also have a prime account, and netflix account, so I can toggle between various streaming services all in one place....i.e. unified platform.

Here's a link to my previous post.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=503186
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:55 AM   #6
BristolCavendish
Banned

Just basic Direct TV services at our home. No add-ons or premium channels. There's a certain irony in that with an increased number of programming options, any additional quality and/or worthwhile viewing options become fewer in number.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:56 AM   #7
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
try hulu over 50 channels with all the espns (most of them). $40 a month just launched 3 weeks ago.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...up-1202407833/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
I started using Playstation Vue in November and love it. I pay $40 a month, no tax upcharges, no paying for equipment, includes cloud DVR, no contract, simply month to month. Downside is from time to time I get buffering because its a streaming service, but this is dependent on your in-home wifi strength.

One thing that was cool, was from time to time they will upgrade you to the next package for 3 months, then automatically revert if you dont sign up for it (no automatic increase in payment - call to cancel games).

Note - you'll need to purchase your own HW (if you dont have a playstation console). I use Amazon FireTV on two of my televisions, better than the firestick. What I like about Amazon FireTV, is that I also have a prime account, and netflix account, so I can toggle between various streaming services all in one place....i.e. unified platform.

Here's a link to my previous post.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=503186
very cool guys! thanks for the tips!!

No HBO or AMC on Hulu, how about playstation Chris?
Old 25 May 2017, 03:57 AM   #8
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I'm with you Marc! My cable/internet is at $170 a month!
Old 25 May 2017, 04:01 AM   #9
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Sick of Cable, Pay too much for FiOS

Quote:

What I did a few months ago:

1. Scaled back my cable subscription to Internet-only and saved about $150 a month. Had to sign up for a 12-month contract.
2. Signed up for PSVue Ultra, which gives me local channels, sports, HBO and Bravo for $75 a month.
2. Bought the latest AppleTV, $150 one-time investment.

I recouped my costs in two months and will be saving $75 a month going forward. Pretty happy.

mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:04 AM   #10
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Get a fire stick $39, (Jail Break it which will pretty much give you full TV access with movies and shows) ... Youtube to learn how

Netflix Prescription $9.99mo
HBO Prescription $9.99mo

And your good to go!

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:05 AM   #11
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
We use an HDTV antenna, this gives me 68 local tv channels in HD for free. For everything else, we use a hooked up amazon fire tv box. doing it this way, your only bill would be for high speed internet.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:18 AM   #12
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Funny timing this thread.

I've had cable (Sky) for as long as I can remember and have very recently made the call to cancel. They've had it so good for so long but their pricing structure is simply archaic. They need to modernise and adapt to the changing market place. I am simply not prepared to pay Ł60-Ł100 per month to watch TV when competitors are now doing the same thing for Ł10.
I'd rejoin Sky immediately if they reassessed their pricing structure.
I liken it to when digital cameras hit the market. Some companies adapted early and thrived but those who thought it was a flash in the pan suffered and others simply went out of business. I've voted with my feet, the only way we'll see any significant change will be if others do the same.

I'm in UK so can't really offer any replacement suggestions other than Netflix/Amazon.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:23 AM   #13
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
very cool guys! thanks for the tips!!

No HBO or AMC on Hulu, how about playstation Chris?
AMC is standard on all packages (lowest is $40) Playstation VUE plans. HBO can be added on for $15 a month, alternatively you can add it as a standalone app for the same monthly price to any streaming device.
Old 25 May 2017, 04:26 AM   #14
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
Get a fire stick $39, (Jail Break it which will pretty much give you full TV access with movies and shows) ... Youtube to learn how

HBO Prescription $9.99mo

And your good to go!
I found FireTv is better...more processing power than the stick (especially for Kodi). But also still use Playstation VUE (along with Netflix, amazon prime) for convience factor. If I want to catch up on sports events, for example i dont have to download different add-ons, and drill down into submenu's etc.
Old 25 May 2017, 04:33 AM   #15
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori1983 View Post
What I did a few months ago:

1. Scaled back my cable subscription to Internet-only and saved about $150 a month. Had to sign up for a 12-month contract.
2. Signed up for PSVue Ultra, which gives me local channels, sports, HBO and Bravo for $75 a month.
2. Bought the latest AppleTV, $150 one-time investment.

I recouped my costs in two months and will be saving $75 a month going forward. Pretty happy.

I like it!!! I'm going to copy parts of this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post

HBO Prescription $9.99mo

And your good to go!
I've heard great thing about the FIRE I will be lookng at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
We use an HDTV antenna, this gives me 68 local tv channels in HD for free. For everything else, we use a hooked up amazon fire tv box. doing it this way, your only bill would be for high speed internet.
Yeah, this is an absolute no brainer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Funny timing this thread.

I've had cable (Sky) for as long as I can remember and have very recently made the call to cancel. They've had it so good for so long but their pricing structure is simply archaic. They need to modernise and adapt to the changing market place. I am simply not prepared to pay Ł60-Ł100 per month to watch TV when competitors are now doing the same thing for Ł10.
I'd rejoin Sky immediately if they reassessed their pricing structure.
I liken it to when digital cameras hit the market. Some companies adapted early and thrived but those who thought it was a flash in the pan suffered and others simply went out of business. I've voted with my feet, the only way we'll see any significant change will be if others do the same.

I'm in UK so can't really offer any replacement suggestions other than Netflix/Amazon.
Financial injustice is the same the world over and as a consumer, there is only one way to vote!!! #rememberthecustomer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
AMC is standard on all packages (lowest is $40) Playstation VUE plans. HBO can be added on for $15 a month, alternatively you can add it as a standalone app for the same monthly price to any streaming device.
EXTREMELY Helpful Chris, thanks again!
Old 25 May 2017, 04:37 AM   #16
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I bought a Roku device about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I pay for Netflix, Hulu, and HBO and that is more than enough to keep me entertained. Now when I watch standard cable at someone else's house I can't stand the experience. Too many commercials.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:49 AM   #17
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I bought a Roku device about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I pay for Netflix, Hulu, and HBO and that is more than enough to keep me entertained. Now when I watch standard cable at someone else's house I can't stand the experience. Too many commercials.
I hear you...but the flip side is with DVRs (cloud or local hardware), I never watch live tv with the occasional exception of sporting events, even then I mostly DVR and watch at night.
Old 25 May 2017, 05:11 AM   #18
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I consider myself somewhat tech-savvy, but I have no idea how any of this stuff works. I have just always had Dish Network.

Questions is this - is there anyway I can watch football? I need SEC football games on Saturday. I see that ESPN is on Hulu, but what about when the games are on ABC or CBS? My Dish is $120/month and I rarely even watch it!
Old 25 May 2017, 06:14 AM   #19
nick c
Banned

Got Apple TV and jail break it
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 06:22 AM   #20
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

I got DirectTV Now (Pay $35 for 100 channels - promo when then they started) and local HD antenna (for locals in DFW area) DirectTV has HBO ($5 / Mth but free now for a year)
and use a Premier OTA TIVO for DVR off the Antenna.

For movies, Amazon Prime and Netflix. We are all set.

DirectTV NOW - $35 / mth
Prime - $8 / mth
Netflix - $10/mth

Total $53/mth and more TV then I have time!

If you are looking at others, here's a comparison for streaming service.
https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

BTW I do not jailbreak, use Kodi, or pirate do to personal beliefs.
I do not offer or provide any Rolex investment advice or opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular watch, collections of watches, transaction or investment watch collecting strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any watch decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, watch objectives, risk tolerance, and what looks good in yoru opinion on your wrist.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 06:28 AM   #21
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

Most RSNs (Regional Sports Networks) not listed; varies per locality

PREMIUM = Available for an additional monthly fee beyond base package

DirecTV Now package key:
Live a Little = $35/month (Local ABC, Fox, NBC broadcasts included in select markets)
Just Right = $50/month
Go Big = $60/month ($35/month introductory price)
Gotta Have It = $70/month

Sling TV package key:
Orange = $20/month
Blue = $25/month
other ""extras"" = another $5 /month each (Sports extra with Blue is $10)
Broacast Extra: ABC, Univision and Univision Mas available to Sling Orange subscribers in select cities

PlayStation Vue package key:
(for New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami ONLY)
Access (Base) = $40/month
Core = $45/month (includes Access channels, some Regional Sports Networks)
Elite = $55/month (includes Access and Core channels)
Ultra = $75/month (includes Access, Core and Elite channels, plus HBO and Showtime)

(for other cities, where ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC are available via VOD only)
Access Slim (Base) = $30/month
Core Slim = $35/month (includes Access channels, some Regional Sports Networks)
Elite Slim = $45/month (includes Core and Access channels)
Ultra Slim = $65/month (includes Access, Core and Elite channels, plus HBO and Showtime)
I do not offer or provide any Rolex investment advice or opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular watch, collections of watches, transaction or investment watch collecting strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any watch decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, watch objectives, risk tolerance, and what looks good in yoru opinion on your wrist.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:39 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Everytime I do the math on this it comes down to me saving like 20-30 a month. I pay like 170 for fios with HBO and SHO.

I must have High speed Internet, HBO, SHO, ESPN and sports.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:46 AM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Netflix only.
$9.99.

More money leftover for watches:)
Old 25 May 2017, 09:12 AM   #24
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have a Comcast bundle that includes the internet and the local channels and some HBO channels, but I haven't had a TV hooked up for years.

I just keep the bundle because it's actually cheaper than the internet alone.

I pay about $95 per month and while it is too much in my judgement, it's the only acceptable service in town.

Dishes are out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowboy99 View Post
BTW I do not jailbreak, use Kodi, or pirate do to personal beliefs.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:28 AM   #25
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Hilarious comment. We are in a condo and stuck with Time Warner (now Spectrum) and pay extra for high speed internet. We have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I will have the wife read this thread to figure out how to save some money.

Great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I have a Comcast bundle that includes the internet and the local channels and some HBO channels, but I haven't had a TV hooked up for years.

I just keep the bundle because it's actually cheaper than the internet alone.

I pay about $95 per month and while it is too much in my judgement, it's the only acceptable service in town.

Dishes are out of the question.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:38 AM   #26
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
I found the biggest ripoff with cable is the equipment rental charges I purchased TiVo boxes and I get basic cable because I record a lot of shows on network TV and I have Netflix and amazon prime the TiVo boxes have an awesome feature they filter out the commercials so I only watch shows I record hence no commercials and the only live TV I watch is news and sports.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #27
mfer
"TRF" Member

With young kids and no real interest in sports we only do Netflix. I'm not up on current TV so the year old stuff is good enough for me. Only thing I miss is HGTV. If I could pay alacart for it I would. Don't want commercials so don't really want stream from their site. Truth is, not having TV makes you do other things.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I am so old that I remember when cable TV (TV you would have to pay for) was introduced, the biggest advantage being heralded was that you would not have to watch commercials.

In other words, TV was free if you were willing to watch commercials; if you pay a monthly fee you get to watch TV without commercials.

Boy, has that changed???!!!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:49 AM   #29
THC

Watch: 16610M
I have Charter Communications (aka Spectrum) where I am, and a friend told me this.. every cable/internet provider now has what they call a "loss mitigation dept" and what they are there to do is stop the exodus of customers, like all above is speaking about... my bill was 160 a month including wireless internet, so I called, asked for LMD and said I am about to leave you, what can you do for me? I now have all premium channels and internet for 100 a month.. try it folks... strength in numbers!!!!
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #30
sda619
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT II
Great thread. I've been thinking about this as well. What speed internet makes the most sense for streaming 1080p.

The long-term play will be having more independent internet providers. I'm stuck with Xfinity for Internet and they are threatening to throttle streams.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sda619 is offline   Reply With Quote