The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2017, 12:44 PM   #31
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
In NYC, Fios is very competitively priced and even cheaper than Time Warner (Spectrum) Plus the internet speeds aren't even comparable.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 01:11 PM   #32
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Sick of Cable, Pay too much for FiOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Everytime I do the math on this it comes down to me saving like 20-30 a month. I pay like 170 for fios with HBO and SHO.

I must have High speed Internet, HBO, SHO, ESPN and sports.

What? $170?

I pay $79 for Fios phone, TV, internet with HBO free for a year

With taxes and fees, it's $101 per month

That's the price I got in 2011 and still pay it. Each time it goes up, I call and threaten to switch to Spectrum or RCN. It gets rolled back each time. I'm pretty much paying their promo rate until they stop giving in
Old 25 May 2017, 02:12 PM   #33
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Great thread. Thanks for all the info. I have been researching cutting the cord for the last few weeks so the timing of this is great. No new info to report that hasn't already been mentioned.

My game plan is call Comcast and see if they cut my bill in half. If not, I think I will go with the Apple TV, Netflix, and Prime. Maybe add Hulu or similar later on.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 02:13 PM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
What? $170?

I pay $79 for Fios phone, TV, internet with HBO free for a year

With taxes and fees, it's $101 per month

That's the price I got in 2011 and still pay it. Each time it goes up, I call and threaten to switch to Spectrum or RCN. It gets rolled back each time. I'm pretty much paying theory promo rate until they stop giving in
I'm not in NYC so maybe they are more competitive there. Wouldn't surprise me.

I go in every two years and have to negotiate or they try to raise it lol

I'll never leave because the Internet from the competition is crap. They probably know that.

HBO and SHO ain't free here after the 3-6 month promos. I'm paying like 25-30 for them alone. It's ludicrous but I'm addicted to so many shows!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:19 PM   #35
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Great thread. Thanks for all the info. I have been researching cutting the cord for the last few weeks so the timing of this is great. No new info to report that hasn't already been mentioned.

My game plan is call Comcast and see if they cut my bill in half. If not, I think I will go with the Apple TV, Netflix, and Prime. Maybe add Hulu or similar later on.
Threatening to leave has mixed results and doesn't really phase them, they know you have like two or three choices and that they'll get someone else leaving their competitor.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:42 AM   #36
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Threatening to leave has mixed results and doesn't really phase them, they know you have like two or three choices and that they'll get someone else leaving their competitor.
I'm not threatening to leave them. I am in sales and understand negotiating. Based on friends recent experiences in my area I have a reasonable chance of getting my cable and internet down approx 70 per month and that works for me. I know that there has been a mass exodus in my city the last 18 months and Comcast is losing thousands of customer a month in Or. To me, whether or not I leave Comcast and go with one of these other options isn't a big deal. If the total package cost is within 10-15 a month all in, its just as easy to stay with cable as long as I can continue to watch the things that matter to me.
Old 26 May 2017, 02:49 AM   #37
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Streaming for a year ............. Roku ................ love it ! I buy a Hulu sub for $7.99, and have Amazon prime annually for online shopping savings (includes most movies free).

I wouldn't go back to cable if they paid me !
Old 26 May 2017, 02:49 AM   #38
wantonebad

Quote:
I'm not threatening to leave them. I am in sales and understand negotiating. Based on friends recent experiences in my area I have a reasonable chance of getting my cable and internet down approx 70 per month and that works for me. I know that there has been a mass exodus in my city the last 18 months and Comcast is losing thousands of customer a month in Or. To me, whether or not I leave Comcast and go with one of these other options isn't a big deal. If the total package cost is within 10-15 a month all in, its just as easy to stay with cable as long as I can continue to watch the things that matter to me.
good luck
Old 26 May 2017, 02:53 AM   #39
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
exactly, they laugh at you now a days. basically we had to cancel out service last time to get them to cave. we cancelled for a few days.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:03 AM   #40
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
exactly, they laugh at you now a days. basically we had to cancel out service last time to get them to cave. we cancelled for a few days.
My friend and neighbor called Comcast last week. They reduced his bill from $169 per month all in to $100. Same channels, internet, HD DVR, and 2 boxes. Sounds like a win to me. He is not the first person I know to recently do this. I have to have internet so If I can keep my internet and get a huge reduction in my cable bill, that works. All they can do is say no, in which case I go with one of the other options such as VUE, Direct TV, Hulu etc. Either way, I win.

Obviously there are market specific variables that are going to come into play.

YMMV
Old 26 May 2017, 03:11 AM   #41
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
If you're in a free standing home, I think you have less of a chance at getting a reduction.

In my buildings in NYC and Miami, they are pre-wired with several providers. A tech can have you up and running in minutes.

Fios knows they are the best internet provider and try to leverage that but in the end, most people don't care. They want the best price for acceptable performance.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:18 AM   #42
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you're in a free standing home, I think you have less of a chance at getting a reduction.

In my buildings in NYC and Miami, they are pre-wired with several providers. A tech can have you up and running in minutes.

Fios knows they are the best internet provider and try to leverage that but in the end, most people don't care. They want the best price for acceptable performance.
Yup, I am in a high-rise condo with several provider options. Flick a switch and that is it. This definitely improves my odds. Two years ago we were stuck with Comcast and now we have 3 options. Fully half the building has now left Comcast. That sucks for them and gives them incentive to stop the exodus.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:25 AM   #43
wantonebad

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, I am in a high-rise condo with several provider options. Flick a switch and that is it. This definitely improves my odds. Two years ago we were stuck with Comcast and now we have 3 options. Fully half the building has now left Comcast. That sucks for them and gives them incentive to stop the exodus.
Good points Renato and Jon the one thing I would add is to do your homework before you do call and know exactly what promotions the competitors are running, your argument to a provider has much more weight when you quote real deals and can back it up with documentation. Much more likely to get discounts when you aren't just complaining or worse blowing smoke.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:30 AM   #44
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good points Renato and Jon the one thing I would add is to do your homework before you do call and know exactly what promotions the competitors are running, your argument to a provider has much more weight when you quote real deals and can back it up with documentation. Much more likely to get discounts when you aren't just complaining or worse blowing smoke.
Good idea Marc. I am going to spend some time this morning taking note of what offers are available to me so that when I call I have ammo to backup any negotiations

Oh and one thing i have learned over the years is you attract more flies with honey than vinegar . I never complain, rather approach it as a business deal. What can you do for me sir. I have been researching and found the competition offers X for $X and with you I am paying $XX. I would love to stay with your service however not at the current prices I am paying. What can you offer me. In the past I have had success with this...

Good luck all who are embarking on cutting the cable. Let us know how it goes.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:49 AM   #45
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good persuasive skills. Like in an email, I start with a positive note, negotiate in the middle, and end on a positive note.

Quote:
Good idea Marc. I am going to spend some time this morning taking note of what offers are available to me so that when I call I have ammo to backup any negotiations

Oh and one thing i have learned over the years is you attract more flies with honey than vinegar . I never complain, rather approach it as a business deal. What can you do for me sir. I have been researching and found the competition offers X for $X and with you I am paying $XX. I would love to stay with your service however not at the current prices I am paying. What can you offer me. In the past I have had success with this...

Good luck all who are embarking on cutting the cable. Let us know how it goes.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:58 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Good persuasive skills. Like in an email, I start with a positive note, negotiate in the middle, and end on a positive note.
that's how I buy cars
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 04:31 AM   #47
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I cut the cable cord over 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I still kept my FIOS high speed internet for $65/mo. Then I pay $12.99/mo. for Netflix 4k, have a Firestick and Apple TV, and have an HD Antenna for local channels.
Old 21 October 2017, 06:01 AM   #48
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I am interested in this thread. I would have cut services awhile ago but my wife needs to be watching her shows within days of them being on. That leaves Netflix out because she would be a year behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha, solid answer. I strictly rely on Netflix, saves money and time. Although I would be lying if I said that the whole "firestick" idea didnt entice me. Has anyone used a firestick before?
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:08 AM   #49
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I'm about to cancel my cable as well.. mom was visiting so I left it on!
That'll leave me with HD antenna, amazon prime and firestick.
Should be plenty. :)
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:28 AM   #50
Mulligan

If you go with a fire stick and hd antenna, do you have to have one for each tv in your house?
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:21 AM   #51
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Commercial infested... I hate cable TV and haven't watched it in years. At first I started downloading programmes I was interested in but now I have Netflix and it suits my needs.
Same. I now find myself watching a lot more Netflix than I do cable.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:02 AM   #52
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If you go with a fire stick and hd antenna, do you have to have one for each tv in your house?
Firestick is a powered USB stick basically.. So you can move it around smart tv/pc/laptops etc. It honestly looks/loads up like a smart tv menu w. APPS.
If you use Amazon Prime you already will have tons of content but then of course you can run the "other" apps and get movies etc free. We'll see how long that goes for.

Other than my above services I torrent Moto GP, F1 and TdF races w the good Euro commentators! ;)
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:52 AM   #53
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Have any of you guys successfully cut your cable, what services do you use pay for? Does anyone use Tick Box or other streaming services? So sick of the bills for FiOS it's ridiculous!!!

Need local channels, and my wife insists on HBO and BRAVO, but short of that I don't care what we have, nothing I want is ever on anyway LOL
try directv i got it with att cable for 100 a month for 2 years.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:44 PM   #54
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Roku's + PS Vue is the best imho. You can use your iphone/ipad to control any roku.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 02:55 PM   #55
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Have any of you guys successfully cut your cable, what services do you use pay for? Does anyone use Tick Box or other streaming services? So sick of the bills for FiOS it's ridiculous!!!

Need local channels, and my wife insists on HBO and BRAVO, but short of that I don't care what we have, nothing I want is ever on anyway LOL
So Marc,

After almost 5 months, what did you end up with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 03:13 PM   #56
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and a good VPN. Netflix etc have clamped down on VPN providers but a couple still work and allow your watch ‘in another country’. I prefer the US and UK Netflix to Singapore so a VPN is essential.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 03:44 PM   #57
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I’ve had Directv for about 8 years. I can’t really complain about the service or the channels. Of course, every year, right around August, I have to call them and negotiate for a deal. Some years are better than others. This year, my bill got cut in half and they threw in some premium channels and the NFL package.
Old 22 October 2017, 05:22 AM   #58
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
So Marc,

After almost 5 months, what did you end up with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I decided to drag my feet, LOL
Old 23 October 2017, 02:59 AM   #59
No.15
"TRF" Member

I have great OTA reception so I do that with sling and netflix. Works great and has saved me around $40 a month.
No.15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:11 PM   #60
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I have Charter Communications (aka Spectrum) where I am, and a friend told me this.. every cable/internet provider now has what they call a "loss mitigation dept" and what they are there to do is stop the exodus of customers, like all above is speaking about... my bill was 160 a month including wireless internet, so I called, asked for LMD and said I am about to leave you, what can you do for me? I now have all premium channels and internet for 100 a month.. try it folks... strength in numbers!!!!
Awesome, great job!
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote