The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Icon9 Thank you, Equifax! (Large Hack on US Credit Agency)

So as you probably have heard, Equifax (US credit reporting company) has been hacked of some 143 million personal records, including SSN, addresses, driver's license numbers, etc. While there have been bigger breaches (like at Yahoo), this one includes the mother lode of personal information.

I just put a 90 day fraud alert on my credit report by going to the Transunion website (figured they wouldn't mess it up). They notify the two other agencies to do the same in 24 hours.

Didn't want to go down the full "security freeze" route, which requires a PIN for your credit scores to be passed along to inquiring entities. At least not yet.

Gives me a headache. Anyone concerned about this?

I have never been the victim of identity theft or fraud, and I don't want to start now.

Edit: Post below by BBL states that 44% of US consumer credit records were stolen in this breach.
Old 8 September 2017, 10:29 AM   #2
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Unfathomable......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ers/643679001/
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:52 AM   #3
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The other 56% are likely stolen by now and we'll find out 3 months from now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
what a disgrace.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 11:07 AM   #5
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Scary stuff. And "registering" on Equifax is such a BS affair. You can't enroll for a week and they won't send you a reminder? WTF?
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
It could be worse. The Chinese hacked the Office of Personnel Management and stole all the personal information for millions of Americans who applied for US government security clearances. Way more detailed and complete personal information than Equifax keeps.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
The Chinese are unlikely to open new credit accounts or steal your identity.
Old 8 September 2017, 11:46 AM   #8
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
... IDK they have well known actors who have gone after several of my start-ups. That being said I am upset about this Equifax hack.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
As bad as it gets.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Not hardly. The USG established life time credit monitoring for the affected people.
Old 8 September 2017, 12:13 PM   #11
BristolCavendish
Banned

If SSNs and personal credit/banking information are no longer secured/private information (on a need to know basis), what can the average consumer do to prevent such unwarranted breaches of personal information? Anyone who's experienced an identity theft issue or even a credit card breach is well aware of the hassles involved rectifying these kinds of personal/financial invasions.

Outside of being city homeless or a recluse out in the wilds, it seems there's little one can do in the modern world other than (1) be a bit paranoid at times (2) exercise common sense/caution when divulging personal or financial info (3) pay cash for everything (though not always practical).

In this 'information age society' the stealing and selling of personal financial information seems to be the new 'cash cow'.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:27 PM   #12
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Something to consider in case your credentials are compromised - if you accept Equifax's free Trusted ID monitoring, then you also forego the right to sue them. So a different form of monitoring may be your best tool - many are available like LifeLock, etc. The terms of service for Trusted ID are posted below as FYI...

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.

Binding Arbitration. Any Claim (as defined below) raised by either You or Equifax against the other shall be subject to mandatory, binding arbitration. As used in this arbitration provision, the term "Claim" or "Claims" means any claim, dispute, or controversy between You and Us relating in any way to Your relationship with Equifax, including but not limited to any Claim arising from or relating to this Agreement, the Products or this Site, or any information You receive from Us, whether based on contract, statute, common law, regulation, ordinance, tort, or any other legal or equitable theory, regardless of what remedy is sought. This arbitration obligation extends to claims You may assert against Equifax’s parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, and agents. The term "Claim" shall have the broadest possible construction, except that it does not include any claim, dispute or controversy in which You contend that EIS violated the FCRA. Any claim, dispute, or controversy in which You contend that EIS violated the FCRA is not subject to this provision and shall not be resolved by arbitration.

No Class or Representative Arbitrations. The arbitration will be conducted as an individual arbitration. Neither You nor We consent or agree to any arbitration on a class or representative basis, and the arbitrator shall have no authority to proceed with arbitration on a class or representative basis. No arbitration will be consolidated with any other arbitration proceeding without the consent of all parties. This arbitration provision applies to and includes any Claims made and remedies sought as part of any class action, private attorney general action, or other representative action. By consenting to submit Your Claims to arbitration, You will be forfeiting Your right to bring or participate in any class action (whether as a named plaintiff or a class member) or to share in any class action awards, including class claims where a class has not yet been certified, even if the facts and circumstances upon which the Claims are based already occurred or existed.

Right to Opt-Out of this Arbitration Provision. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE ARBITRATION PROVISION, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXCLUDE YOURSELF. Opting out of the arbitration provision will have no adverse effect on your relationship with Equifax or the delivery of Products to You by Equifax. In order to exclude Yourself from the arbitration provision, You must notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of the date that You first accept this Agreement on the Site (for Products purchased from Equifax on the Site). If You purchased Your Product other than on the Site, and thus this Agreement was mailed, emailed or otherwise delivered to You, then You must notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of the date that You receive this Agreement. To be effective, timely written notice of opt out must be delivered to Equifax Consumer Services LLC, Attn.: Arbitration Opt-Out, P.O. Box 105496, Atlanta, GA 30348, and must include Your name, address, and Equifax User ID, as well as a clear statement that You do not wish to resolve disputes with Equifax through arbitration. If You have previously notified Equifax that You wish to opt-out of arbitration, You are not required to do so again. Any opt-out request postmarked after the opt-out deadline or that fails to satisfy the other requirements above will not be valid, and You must pursue your Claim in arbitration or small claims court.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 10:05 PM   #13
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
GREAT info Paul! Choose your paths carefully. Their stock got crushed in after hours trading - we'll see what happens over the next few months.
Old 9 September 2017, 12:16 AM   #14
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Wife and I have discussed Lifelock from time to time, maybe it's time to revisit this? Anyone out there have any experience with them or similar services?
You spend your entire life building your credit and can have all of that wiped out but some hacker in east Jabip.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 12:25 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It could be worse. The Chinese hacked the Office of Personnel Management and stole all the personal information for millions of Americans who applied for US government security clearances. Way more detailed and complete personal information than Equifax keeps.
That was the fourth time my info has been hacked/stolen.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 01:32 AM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
That was the fourth time my info has been hacked/stolen.
That you know of. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on other USG data systems.
Old 9 September 2017, 01:45 AM   #17
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Wife and I have discussed Lifelock from time to time, maybe it's time to revisit this? Anyone out there have any experience with them or similar services?
You spend your entire life building your credit and can have all of that wiped out but some hacker in east Jabip.
My name and info was in the government breach of the Office of Personnel Management a few years back. Since then, I use LifeLock and get an immediate text message when someone applies for credit with my name or SSN, so I worry much less these days.
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 01:50 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
My name and info was in the government breach of the Office of Personnel Management a few years back. Since then, I use LifeLock and get an immediate text message when someone applies for credit with my name or SSN, so I worry much less these days.
I use the MyIDCare system the USG offered after the OPM breach. I get an email for any ping on my credentials.
Old 9 September 2017, 01:53 AM   #19
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
I use the MyIDCare system the USG offered after the OPM breach. I get an email for any ping on my credentials.
I did that too, but decided to use Lifelock as a secondary resource and get text messages this way.
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 01:55 AM   #20
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Have had LL for years and have been very happy with them.
Gecko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 02:10 AM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I did that too, but decided to use Lifelock as a secondary resource and get text messages this way.
I'll look into it.
Old 9 September 2017, 02:15 AM   #22
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Crazy. I am going to sign up for Life Lock.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 02:23 AM   #23
BristolCavendish
Banned

According to the news, this 'hack' was discovered by Equifax on July 27th and within 2 days, three of their top execs started dumping their stock holdings. That says a lot in terms of character and integrity.

A class action suit against Equifax is currently being filed.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 02:24 AM   #24
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

I have credit karma monitoring on, but im looking to sign up for something even better. Ill be looking into life lock.
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 02:25 AM   #25
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
Exactly! Do NOT sign up for their free credit monitoring service. Not only DOI they own it, but you opt out of any class action suit. Plus it's only a year long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Something to consider in case your credentials are compromised - if you accept Equifax's free Trusted ID monitoring, then you also forego the right to sue them. So a different form of monitoring may be your best tool - many are available like LifeLock, etc. The terms of service for Trusted ID are posted below as FYI...

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.

Binding Arbitration. Any Claim (as defined below) raised by either You or Equifax against the other shall be subject to mandatory, binding arbitration. As used in this arbitration provision, the term "Claim" or "Claims" means any claim, dispute, or controversy between You and Us relating in any way to Your relationship with Equifax, including but not limited to any Claim arising from or relating to this Agreement, the Products or this Site, or any information You receive from Us, whether based on contract, statute, common law, regulation, ordinance, tort, or any other legal or equitable theory, regardless of what remedy is sought. This arbitration obligation extends to claims You may assert against Equifax’s parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, and agents. The term "Claim" shall have the broadest possible construction, except that it does not include any claim, dispute or controversy in which You contend that EIS violated the FCRA. Any claim, dispute, or controversy in which You contend that EIS violated the FCRA is not subject to this provision and shall not be resolved by arbitration.

No Class or Representative Arbitrations. The arbitration will be conducted as an individual arbitration. Neither You nor We consent or agree to any arbitration on a class or representative basis, and the arbitrator shall have no authority to proceed with arbitration on a class or representative basis. No arbitration will be consolidated with any other arbitration proceeding without the consent of all parties. This arbitration provision applies to and includes any Claims made and remedies sought as part of any class action, private attorney general action, or other representative action. By consenting to submit Your Claims to arbitration, You will be forfeiting Your right to bring or participate in any class action (whether as a named plaintiff or a class member) or to share in any class action awards, including class claims where a class has not yet been certified, even if the facts and circumstances upon which the Claims are based already occurred or existed.

Right to Opt-Out of this Arbitration Provision. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE ARBITRATION PROVISION, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXCLUDE YOURSELF. Opting out of the arbitration provision will have no adverse effect on your relationship with Equifax or the delivery of Products to You by Equifax. In order to exclude Yourself from the arbitration provision, You must notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of the date that You first accept this Agreement on the Site (for Products purchased from Equifax on the Site). If You purchased Your Product other than on the Site, and thus this Agreement was mailed, emailed or otherwise delivered to You, then You must notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of the date that You receive this Agreement. To be effective, timely written notice of opt out must be delivered to Equifax Consumer Services LLC, Attn.: Arbitration Opt-Out, P.O. Box 105496, Atlanta, GA 30348, and must include Your name, address, and Equifax User ID, as well as a clear statement that You do not wish to resolve disputes with Equifax through arbitration. If You have previously notified Equifax that You wish to opt-out of arbitration, You are not required to do so again. Any opt-out request postmarked after the opt-out deadline or that fails to satisfy the other requirements above will not be valid, and You must pursue your Claim in arbitration or small claims court.

MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 02:41 AM   #26
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle13 View Post
I have credit karma monitoring on, but im looking to sign up for something even better. Ill be looking into life lock.

Credit Karma is not enough, id definitely go with something legit.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 04:03 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
its never if, its when. i'm actually surprised it took so long.

always assume your info WILL be hacked.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 04:10 AM   #28
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
According to the news, this 'hack' was discovered by Equifax on July 27th and within 2 days, three of their top execs started dumping their stock holdings. That says a lot in terms of character and integrity.

A class action suit against Equifax is currently being filed.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if the SEC came knocking on their doors for insider trading. Those trades stink to high heaven.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 04:15 AM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
That you know of. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on other USG data systems.
Correct
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 04:26 AM   #30
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Electronic data is the most insecure in the world. Everything is hackable.

Just waiting for someone to hack the nyse or nasdaq and cause a cluster you know what.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote