The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2017, 03:00 AM   #1
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Articles says Apple proves the customer is not always king

What do you guys think?

"Apple treats its customers like how drug dealers treat their clients"

https://kijanawaasi.com/apple-iphone...t-always-king/
APRolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:52 AM   #2
Leeq
"TRF" Member

LOL, Idk if this is true or not but it's funny.
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 05:48 AM   #3
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeq View Post
LOL, Idk if this is true or not but it's funny.
must admit, they are rewriting a lot of 'rules' in business.
Old 16 September 2017, 06:57 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Articles says Apple proves the customer is not always king

This was in another iPhone thread and I thought the best reply was something like 'Apple isn't a drug dealer since they give no free tastes'...

IPhone X is an Anniversary Edition and won't appeal to the majority of users. In fact an entire segment with visual impairments are left behind without a home button and Touch ID.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

I would agree. They're like the mafia. "You like the headphone jack? Too bad, pay me"
"You like the home button?! Not anymore. Pay me!"
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 08:21 PM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Don't like their current offerings or they make it too hard to buy?

Simples, just stay VINTAGE!

... o wait, we talking Apple huh.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 08:01 AM   #7
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Don't like their current offerings or they make it too hard to buy?

Simples, just stay VINTAGE!

... o wait, we talking Apple huh.
I suppose that would be my main issue with them. They seem to throw out perfectly good things very quickly, maybe they can have a 'vintage' line that runs with their new products.
Old 17 September 2017, 07:06 PM   #8
TickTock1950
"TRF" Member

On the other hand, Apple service is outstanding.

I bought an iPad Mini roughly 17 months ago in Malaysia (where I currently reside). The device failed. Would boot up but then immediately shutdown when the password page appeared. worked online with Apple Support but could not recover the device.

Malaysia has no Apple store so I took it to a Reseller so see if they could sort it. No luck at all. Just a dead device.

On the outside chance something could be done to save it, I sent it to Singapore with a relative who took it to the Apple Store. Long story short, no recovery.

The staff at the Apple store replaced it free even though it was out of warranty and did not have Apple Care.

Couldn't be happier with them.

Had a similar experience in 2011 with a MacBook Air. Bought it in Houston and it just failed to start one day. Took it to an Apple Store in Denver and after troubleshooting, they asked if I minded if they replaced it on the spot with a new one. As you might guess I had no objection.

Having said that, I still have my iPhone 5 and don't feel any urge to get a new phone. My device works perfectly and its a good size to fit in a pocket without worrying I might bend it.

Apple is not perfect. But then again, show me a company that is.
TickTock1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 01:41 AM   #9
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock1950 View Post
On the other hand, Apple service is outstanding.

I bought an iPad Mini roughly 17 months ago in Malaysia (where I currently reside). The device failed. Would boot up but then immediately shutdown when the password page appeared. worked online with Apple Support but could not recover the device.

Malaysia has no Apple store so I took it to a Reseller so see if they could sort it. No luck at all. Just a dead device.

On the outside chance something could be done to save it, I sent it to Singapore with a relative who took it to the Apple Store. Long story short, no recovery.

The staff at the Apple store replaced it free even though it was out of warranty and did not have Apple Care.

Couldn't be happier with them.

Had a similar experience in 2011 with a MacBook Air. Bought it in Houston and it just failed to start one day. Took it to an Apple Store in Denver and after troubleshooting, they asked if I minded if they replaced it on the spot with a new one. As you might guess I had no objection.

Having said that, I still have my iPhone 5 and don't feel any urge to get a new phone. My device works perfectly and its a good size to fit in a pocket without worrying I might bend it.

Apple is not perfect. But then again, show me a company that is.
Is this standard practice for them or was a case of good customer service at one store? very impressive stuff from them
Old 20 September 2017, 01:47 AM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRolexguy View Post
Is this standard practice for them or was a case of good customer service at one store? very impressive stuff from them
I bought my 5S from Apple online store in Singapore a couple of weeks after launch. There was no Apple Store here then. The phone was faulty and wouldn't set up correctly. I couldn't send it back as I had to leave on a flight to Australia the following morning and it was my business phone. After work the next day in Perth, I went to an Apple Store with it where they wiped it and reinstalled the software. It seemed to work but by the time I got back to my hotel, it went tits up again. I visited the flagship store the next morning and they ended up giving me a brand new handset. It was iPad Air release day too, so it wasn't as if they didn't have better things to do.

It's typical of the service from Apple. Bose are the same.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:26 AM   #11
Jenkinscc
"TRF" Member

Not sure if its true but it's funny.
Jenkinscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:54 AM   #12
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Steve Jobs was quoted as saying
Quote:
"Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 04:05 AM   #13
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Steve Jobs was quoted as saying
That approach is unique to only the bravest people haha it backfires more than it works in my opinion.
Old 20 September 2017, 04:08 AM   #14
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRolexguy View Post
That approach is unique to only the bravest people haha it backfires more than it works in my opinion.
In traditional businesses, I completely agree. In the creative field, its what makes or breaks them
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:50 AM   #15
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
In traditional businesses, I completely agree. In the creative field, its what makes or breaks them
I suppose it all boils down to good old risk vs reward if you get it wrong you broke and out of business but if you get it right you have a multi-billion dollar brand with customers that refuse to even look at your competitor's products