The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2017, 12:15 AM   #31
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
I have a more stocky frame; 5'9" 230 fairly jacked. Finding quality men's business business/casual clothes that compliment that structure can be tough without heavy tailoring.
Doubt you'll find anything off the rack and even with heavy tailoring it still wont fit perfect. I'm 6'2'' 240lbs with an ex linebacker build and I've never been able to get a perfect fitting suit until I went MTM. I was buying 48'' waist pants and cutting them down to 36'' and having pockets moved. Also buying a 56" jacket and having it cut to 48" so the arms and shoulders would fit. My chest to waist drop was large enough i always had to have custom shirts so I decided to go MTM for suits. I've found I really like the fabric and build quality of Canali. Fit is spot on and have full range of movement that I often lacked with off the rack then heavy tailoring.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 12:50 AM   #32
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
I have a more stocky frame; 5'9" 230 fairly jacked. Finding quality men's business business/casual clothes that compliment that structure can be tough without heavy tailoring.
Fit is king. You have to try the clothes on to see if their cut works for you. No amount of online advice will make the wrong cut fit well. If BB doesn't work, try suit supply and the like.

It is unlikely that you'll find satisfaction in any of the Italian/fashion labels as they are cut for thinner athletic builds. MTM is probably your best bet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 01:38 AM   #33
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
If a dress sock isn't WOOL, then it isn't a dress sock.
Does Paul Smith have any sock that is wool?
Says who? There is never a time I would wear a 100% wool sock - especially in a place that's hot and humid. First, 100% wool would be unnecessary uncomfortable and hot. Second, 100% wool will inevitably lose shape, look baggy, and have pilling. Third, the more wool, the more static. I prefer my dress pants not to cling to my socks.

Some of Paul Smith socks a cotton and others a cotton with cashmere but all have some synthetic to keep it tight to your skin. 100% wool cannot do that.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 01:49 AM   #34
Jenkinscc
"TRF" Member

It does the job, don't shop there unless I have no other options.
Jenkinscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:58 AM   #35
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Says who? There is never a time I would wear a 100% wool sock - especially in a place that's hot and humid. First, 100% wool would be unnecessary uncomfortable and hot. Second, 100% wool will inevitably lose shape, look baggy, and have pilling. Third, the more wool, the more static. I prefer my dress pants not to cling to my socks.

Some of Paul Smith socks a cotton and others a cotton with cashmere but all have some synthetic to keep it tight to your skin. 100% wool cannot do that.
Says anyone that believes in science and facts.
For starters, your assumptions about wool socks are incorrect.

A fine Merino wool is truly a performance superstar in comparison to cotton when it comes to moisture management, temperature regulation, and odor control no matter the temperature. And it's not even an arguable comparison. It would be like arguing that a swatch is better than a rolex.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Whenever I travel by plane, even in the heat of summer, I wear either a Smartwool merino t-shirt or a merino polo shirt. I also like Ibex, Unbound, and Icebreaker. I also wear merino compression socks on long flights. Have yet to have any wetness issue when wearing wool socks.

Even when it's hot I do not sweat as much when wearing Merino as I do when wearing cotton. Or maybe since it's wicking properties are so extraordinary, I don't feel like I do as all of the moisture simply wicks away. I'm definitely always dry. When I wear cotton, I am always soaked.
I flew to Las Vegas twice this summer and wore Merino both times. Kept it on as I walked around outside in the heat of the day. It's nice to stay dry when it's 110 degrees.

The same properties apply when it's cold. You stay warm with wool because moisture doesn't stick around. That's why you never wear cotton anything while skiing.

You should try it.

I didn't mean to thread jack this into a wool vs cotton discussion.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:30 AM   #36
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Brooks brothers

Quote:
Says anyone that believes in science and facts.
For starters, your assumptions about wool socks are incorrect.

A fine Merino wool is truly a performance superstar in comparison to cotton when it comes to moisture management, temperature regulation, and odor control no matter the temperature. And it's not even an arguable comparison. It would be like arguing that a swatch is better than a rolex.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Whenever I travel by plane, even in the heat of summer, I wear either a Smartwool merino t-shirt or a merino polo shirt. I also like Ibex, Unbound, and Icebreaker. I also wear merino compression socks on long flights. Have yet to have any wetness issue when wearing wool socks.

Even when it's hot I do not sweat as much when wearing Merino as I do when wearing cotton. Or maybe since it's wicking properties are so extraordinary, I don't feel like I do as all of the moisture simply wicks away. I'm definitely always dry. When I wear cotton, I am always soaked.
I flew to Las Vegas twice this summer and wore Merino both times. Kept it on as I walked around outside in the heat of the day. It's nice to stay dry when it's 110 degrees.

The same properties apply when it's cold. You stay warm with wool because moisture doesn't stick around. That's why you never wear cotton anything while skiing.

You should try it.

I didn't mean to thread jack this into a wool vs cotton discussion.

Wow. And wow...

Instead of telling me to try it and load me up with "facts" read my post again and then check your facts

Do you wear garters with your 100% merino wool socks? Because if there isn't some synthetic material to help, they aren't staying up without tape or garters.

Last time I checked, smartwool(tm) is a blend of merino wool and synthetics or cottons. Not 100% merino. In fact, every brand you mentioned is a wool blend. Pure wool will do exactly what I said to would do. And that's a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 September 2017, 06:30 AM   #37
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Wow. And wow...

Instead of telling me to try it and load me up with "facts" read my post again and then check your facts

Do you wear garters with your 100% merino wool socks? Because if there isn't some synthetic material to help, they aren't staying up without tape or garters.

Last time I checked, smartwool(tm) is a blend of merino wool and synthetics or cottons. Not 100% merino. In fact, every brand you mentioned is a wool blend. Pure wool will do exactly what I said to would do. And that's a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said anything about pure wool. Fine Merino wool is not synonymous with pure 100% Merino wool.

The blends do in fact have some materials which are there to avoid exactly every disappointing thing that you seem to hate about wool, without negatively effecting it's superior performance. That is why modern Merino outperforms everything.

Smartwool merino tees usually have roughly 90% wool with nylon or spandex thrown in for all of the modernity required by today's market.

Some brands have higher wool content than others. Unbound, for example are 100% merino wool nd they absolutely rock. https://unboundmerino.com/. Meanwhile, their socks have some Nylon and Spandex to avoid things like garters, and falling socks, and other annoyances that seem to have your panties in a wad.

Bottom line is cotton socks blow, if we are being honest.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:08 AM   #38
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
I never said anything about pure wool. Fine Merino wool is not synonymous with pure 100% Merino wool.

The blends do in fact have some materials which are there to avoid exactly every disappointing thing that you seem to hate about wool, without negatively effecting it's superior performance. That is why modern Merino outperforms everything.

Smartwool merino tees usually have roughly 90% wool with nylon or spandex thrown in for all of the modernity required by today's market.

Some brands have higher wool content than others. Unbound, for example are 100% merino wool nd they absolutely rock. https://unboundmerino.com/. Meanwhile, their socks have some Nylon and Spandex to avoid things like garters, and falling socks, and other annoyances that seem to have your panties in a wad.

Bottom line is cotton socks blow, if we are being honest.
Hmm... This is what I responded to
Quote:
If a dress sock isn't WOOL, then it isn't a dress sock.
Does Paul Smith have any sock that is wool?

I suppose you should be more specific. Most would read that to be pure wool, especially when you caps WOOL---not a wool blend and certainly not 71% fine merino wool My response was based on 100% wool and you had every opportunity to clear that up before going on your tangent but you didn't
Old 20 September 2017, 03:02 PM   #39
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Wow... I didn't know that socks were that big of a deal.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:42 PM   #40
KarlS
Banned

after 3 days of wear my socks gather around the heels anyway!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:52 PM   #41
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Wow... I didn't know that socks were that big of a deal.
Go to Tom Ford and they will sell you a pair of dress socks for $150.

Paul Smith has some great designs, including happy sock designs that Gerardo favors. They are well made and darned comfortable in a dress shoe.

I have worn wool socks, but they aren't a favorite, except in winter sports. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned silk or mercerized cotton (e.g. William Abraham) socks.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:47 PM   #42
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Personally not a fan of wool socks - as mentioned they just don't stay up and in place.

Brooks Brothers - great quality - products tend to last - I buy when they have a decent sale