The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2015, 01:30 PM   #31
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Ask yourself, if money was no option which one would you prefer and choose to buy. If the Exp II is the answer then keep saving and get the Exp II. I agree with other posters that you should Never settle when buying a watch. You are half way to the Explorer II now. If you buy the Brietling, while I'm sure you'll enjoy it, you'll still need the Exp II only you'll have to start from 0 instead of only needing half the money. Good luck
Old 10 January 2015, 01:34 PM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If you are choosing a sports watch based on how resistant it will be to most applications, diving, golf, athletics, running, etc. etc. your DJ 11 is about as good as it gets.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 04:01 PM   #33
Benward5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334 DatejustII
I am so happy I found this forum. My big concern is how long will the Breitling last? I will most likely have an Explorer II someday anyway, but I love that Superocean. I know the Rolex will last and can be something I pass on so I don't worry about that because I view it as an investment. Getting down to brass tacks I want both for different reasons, just don't know that the SO42 is worth the money.
Benward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 11:26 PM   #34
RLROCK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on my mood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benward5 View Post
I am so happy I found this forum. My big concern is how long will the Breitling last? I will most likely have an Explorer II someday anyway, but I love that Superocean. I know the Rolex will last and can be something I pass on so I don't worry about that because I view it as an investment. Getting down to brass tacks I want both for different reasons, just don't know that the SO42 is worth the money.
Breitlings are built like tanks, especially the SO. FYI, the Royal Air Force uses Breitling (the USAF uses Timex) and my friend who is a retired USAF Lt. Colonel swears by them in the field.

I have a Colt auto from 1998 that I wore every day until a few years ago when I really got the watch bug. It has only been serviced once for cleaning and keeps great time. My wife wears it now (36mm has gotten too small in my current stable).

I wouldn't have bought another Breitling if I didn't think they were built to last.
Old 10 January 2015, 11:57 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are a year or more away from the Exp then it makes sense to buy the Breitling now. However I would buy it preowned at a great price so when you trade for the Exp it won't cost you too much.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2015, 01:08 AM   #36
Benward5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334 DatejustII
I would most likely keep the Breitling. Looking to build my collection. If I was going to move something in order to buy another piece it would be my Tag Link.
Benward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 12:23 AM   #37
drchuck72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benward5 View Post
I would most likely keep the Breitling. Looking to build my collection. If I was going to move something in order to buy another piece it would be my Tag Link.
If you are going to keep the SO42 to build a collection, then I say get it now. I'm all about immediate gratification. It will delay the acquisition of the EXPII but you could die tomorrow. Think about it.

When I got my Windrider Chronomat Evolution in 2005, I actually wanted the Breitling. There wasn't really anything else on my radar. Of course, I didn't know much about watches at the time and I was going on the opinion of a guy I had met 10 years earlier while on vacation in Hawai'i. At the time (that I bought the Breitling, not when I was in Hawai'i), I already had a Sub and I wasn't really looking to add another Rolex to my collection (which consisted of a Seiko, a few Tags and the Sub) so the Breitling was the right fit. Sadly, the Breitling doesn't get much wrist time these days but I bust it out every now and then and it will get a work week of wrist time before I go back to one of the Rolexes.

In any case, I think the SO42 will be a nice complement to the DJ. Even if the DJ is technically a sport watch, the look of the Breitling will give you a bit of diversity. And, if your heart is set on the EXPII, it is still different enough to warrant keeping both.

Just a different viewpoint for you to consider.
Old 19 January 2015, 06:37 PM   #38
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 114060
i think keep saving and don't compromise if you can avoid it
2106 is offline   Reply With Quote