The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 August 2017, 05:08 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

Is There a Difference Between Service Replacement and NOS

Curious. For those seeking to improve the cosmetic appearance of an older watch, there seems to be a distinct differentiation between original, service replacement and an upgrade via sourced NOS components.

While many can detect 'service replacements' is there a major difference between an original vs NOS component other than one is newer and free of age-related flaws?

It seems that most vintage aficionados prefer original but there will be times when older or dilapidated parts equate to crappy-looking (at least from a visual reference point).
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:13 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Depends on what part and how it matches with the watch. Of course the replacement need to be from the correct era.

Why would old new old stock be crappy looking?
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:30 AM   #3
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Why would old new old stock be crappy looking?
NOS wouldn't as I was referring to older cosmetic components. I would imagine that in the case of hands/dial, a complete NOS replacement (if available/applicable) might look better from the standpoint that they would compliment rather than distract visually.
Old 12 August 2017, 05:32 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
NOS wouldn't as I was referring to older cosmetic components.

My bad
Old 12 August 2017, 05:44 AM   #5
BristolCavendish
Banned

The reason for my asking is that I am currently considering the purchase of an older reference and there are some visual inconsistencies amongst the dial, hands and bezel (all by-products of old age).

While some of these characteristics might be considered desirable to certain vintage aficionados, it often makes for an 'uneven' sort of appearance and it would seem that a tasteful NOS upgrade could greatly enhance the overall look/presentation of the timepiece.
Old 12 August 2017, 05:57 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The reason for my asking is that I am currently considering the purchase of an older reference and there are some visual inconsistencies amongst the dial, hands and bezel (all by-products of old age).

While some of these characteristics might be considered desirable to certain vintage aficionados, it often makes for an 'uneven' sort of appearance and it would seem that a tasteful NOS upgrade could greatly enhance the overall look/presentation of the timepiece.
Sourcing correct and matching parts is difficult and costly. I would wait for the right example instead of making a project.
Old 12 August 2017, 06:09 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Interestingly, my wife described my now sold old 1665 as looking like a bit of old faded rubbish. She did until I told her what it sold for!!!
Old 12 August 2017, 06:21 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

My best advice to you regarding the purchase of a vintage watch with "visual inconsistencies" is:

1)make sure you have the parts to replace old/damaged parts

2)have a source where you can find the parts, and check if they are available before your purchase

3)have a good idea what the parts will cost if you have to source them on the secondary market

Many vintage collectors have purchased watches only to find out later that rare, vintage dials, when found, are several thousand dollars if and when one is found. The other downside is, many of these vintage dials found loose are not in great condition.

Same thing goes for bezels, bezel inserts and hands - if you feel the need for original tritium hands.

Good luck.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Like many, you seem to be attracted to the panache of vintage but not pleased with the reality of the appearance of a 50 year old watch. You are not alone.

Rather than go through the dangerous difficulty of bring a dog up to a standard why not just find a beautiful restored watch completed with service parts? A nice service part 1016 will be thousands below a top drawer original watch, similar pricing for other collectible vintage.

You'll be buying it relative to it's restored status and should you sell it there should be no further penalty for a service watch, there will always be people who want a beautiful, shiny watch. This way you could avoid the terror of trying not to make an expensive mistake.

Good luck.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote