The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 February 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Vintage work in NYC

Anyone have a recommendation for a trusted vintage watch servicer in or around the NYC area?

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 01:03 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=230389

Here's a thread I started when I had the same question. Read the last post on the thread, by me, for an honest assessment of Ron Gordon on Madison Avenue. Decent service. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have just gone to the RSC with my 1675 GMT, but I was nervous about protecting the vintage qualities of the watch, and they also wanted to charge $150 just for a service estimate. I will say that my GMT that Mr. Gordon serviced is running well within COSC specs now, at about +3 seconds a day, not bad for a 37-year-old watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 01:24 AM   #3
apan
"TRF" Member

I had a service estimate completed by RSC NY for no charge. I specifically asked them to leave the case, dial and hands on my 5513 as is. They came back to me with a ~$4k estimate, of course demanding to replace the case, dial and hands or else they could not service the watch. Asked for my watch back with a free green pouch and promptly left.

I have heard much better stories about RSC SF, however.
apan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 02:35 AM   #4
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Ive heard that Central watch located in Grand Central is pretty good when it comes to servicing vintages. In fact, im going to send my 1960 Omega cal 600 to them soon for a full movement service.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 06:13 AM   #5
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apan View Post
I had a service estimate completed by RSC NY for no charge. I specifically asked them to leave the case, dial and hands on my 5513 as is. They came back to me with a ~$4k estimate, of course demanding to replace the case, dial and hands or else they could not service the watch. Asked for my watch back with a free green pouch and promptly left.

I have heard much better stories about RSC SF, however.
Wow thats terrible! I had my Matte dial 16800 serviced at RSC NY and told them to leave the original dial, hands and bezel. They complied and it only cost me 800$. It felt good having them do the work and having the watch come back with Rolex papers and a warrantee. Still... for an even more vintage model.. not sure if I would trust them. They still changed the date wheel... didnt realize i had to specify NOT to change that as well! Oh well...

But now when it comes to my '68 tudor sub... i need to make sure I have someone good do the work and maintain originality...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 February 2013, 06:14 AM   #6
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Ive heard that Central watch located in Grand Central is pretty good when it comes to servicing vintages. In fact, im going to send my 1960 Omega cal 600 to them soon for a full movement service.
I've heard of them too and even been there a couple of times... i get a "meh" feel from them... hard to explain exactly why. Please let me know what you think of them and of your satisfaction with their work... would be super convenient for me to go there.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 February 2013, 06:23 AM   #7
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=230389

Here's a thread I started when I had the same question. Read the last post on the thread, by me, for an honest assessment of Ron Gordon on Madison Avenue. Decent service. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have just gone to the RSC with my 1675 GMT, but I was nervous about protecting the vintage qualities of the watch, and they also wanted to charge $150 just for a service estimate. I will say that my GMT that Mr. Gordon serviced is running well within COSC specs now, at about +3 seconds a day, not bad for a 37-year-old watch.
Thanks! visiting thread now.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 February 2013, 06:34 AM   #8
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
I've heard of them too and even been there a couple of times... i get a "meh" feel from them... hard to explain exactly why. Please let me know what you think of them and of your satisfaction with their work... would be super convenient for me to go there.
What do you mean by a "meh" feeling from them? Do they seem like their untrustworthy? If they are I definatly wouldn't want to send my beloved Omega there.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 07:25 AM   #9
freddyttt
"TRF" Member

sub. 168000

RSC NY wanted to change my Dial, hands, crystal, and bezel among a few other things for 1350.00... told them no thanks and they sent it back-

sent it off to Rikki for way less then half that----

freddyttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Send it to Rik Dietel. It will cost you insured postage, but the cost will come-in at WAY LESS than RSC, and he will do you a better job.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote