The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
planet ocean 8500 42mm review

i would just like to give some feedback on my new omega planet ocean 8500 42mm orange numbers(sorry the reference is too long and i havent memorized it yet)

its really a beautiful watch. ceramic bezel is beautiful. i love the traditional rachet mechanism. the 42mm case is just right (makes the dial bigger) but overall doesnt seem big (since with bezel). the lugs are tapering down and slim. just some touches of polish (still a diver/tool). the raised numerals, markers, hands shine with just a small amount of light. the dial is matte black i thought that would be a turn off but actually the dial has many faces. most of the time it's deep black.

the case is thick.(thick watches constantly remind me its there so i tend to be careful and not bump it around) it's heavy too (im guessing 180-200grams) even heavier than my pam. i would like to wear this watch everyday (but i would just have to get used to the weight). its a little top heavy so better wear it snug.

the links are brushed, thick and heavy duty, a real diver. comfortable enough but oyster bracelet is better. but for omega, the bracelet matches the watch perfectly.

the see through case back helps stick the watch to my wrist. the black hair spring is odd and refreshing. beautiful movement. winding is a quiet "whirrrr" not clicks.

the AR coating is amazing and the lume is very strong. blue and green make it more visible.

a true diver. i now have the complete set: mask, c-card, omega sm PO. but i doubt i will bring this beast/baby diving. its a beast at the same time a beauty.

perfectly made. backed up by omega's high tech manufacturing and materials.
60hours power reserve and 4 years warranty. is an added bonus. This is my first omega and i think i have hit the jackpot. Where has omega been all this time? why are they only waking up now?

no remorse whatsoever. i also dont have that infatuated feeling. instead i feel that this is a watch that i would want to keep forever.

customary wrist shot. not a fan of unboxing. if you're looking for a subdate, you should look at the PO too. im sorry rolex i have cast my vote.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 01:36 AM   #2
mws222
Banned

Very nice, been waiting for my orange bezel one for almost 3 weeks now
mws222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Just can't abide by those hands, wish they had a second option for hands. Great write up though.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Great watch but that lume is obnoxious. Green for only the minute hand and pearl?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

nice write up and pix. thanks!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 02:38 AM   #6
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Thanks for the pics and write up as well as the side profile shot. Definitely a thicker watch.

Personally, I really like the hands and lume. Probably just as many people don't like it, but haven't heard it called obnoxious until now. Meh, to each their own, that's why there are many choices out there.

TuonoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I tried one on at my AD last week. It's a BEAST. But it's the best looking diver I've ever seen. They did a fantastic job on it.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I think the lume is one of the best features on the watch, I think it's pretty cool! Each to their own, I guess - this is still number one on my watch list right now
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Great watch but that lume is obnoxious. Green for only the minute hand and pearl?
From a diver's point of view, it is easier to monitor dive time with the color variation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:04 AM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
from a diver's point of view, it is easier to monitor dive time with the color variation.

Sent from my droidx using tapatalk
+1
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Power Play
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review and great pix.

I, too, love the Omega brand, especially the SeaMaster and Speedie's. I've worn the PO for years and believe that their design, quality and "coolness" is one of the best kept secrets...

Enjoy it and wear it in good health!

Power Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
......since 2000, Rolex has had the upper hand in the war in between Rolex vs. Omega. However, as much as I love Rolex, I am starting to greatly believe that the tides are turning. So far, on an objective view of the entire collections of both brands....I believe that omega has begun to put its best foot forward...love that 8500 movement, its so beautiful!
Old 21 March 2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It's a very good looking watch and looks even better in person. I think it's a fresher, more modern looking diver. Outstanding movement too. Congrats.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:55 AM   #14
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
......since 2000, Rolex has had the upper hand in the war in between Rolex vs. Omega. However, as much as I love Rolex, I am starting to greatly believe that the tides are turning. So far, on an objective view of the entire collections of both brands....I believe that omega has begun to put its best foot forward...love that 8500 movement, its so beautiful!
couldn't agree more...
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:16 AM   #15
treeinthecity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Awesome! Waiting for mine on rubber strap.
treeinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 01:02 PM   #16
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Great review, thanks for sharing. The new PO's are spectacular pieces with terrific movements. Where else can you get an inhouse movement diver with ceramic bezel for $6200 retail on bracelet?? Omega hit a homerun with the redesigned POs. Congrats!

Not sure of the weight but I weighed the 9300 chrono tonight on bracelet and it's weighing in at 243 grams. The 8500 Ti Liquidmetal came in at 146g and the Liquidmetal LE 2500 178g...all on bracelets.
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Boardman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, IWC
Looks great. Thanks for the write up. I'm starting to get tempted on trading up from my 2500 PO now....
Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Agree. Also is it difficult to tell time in the dark? The 12 lume dot seems to be the same as the 3,6,9 lume dots. Seems it would take a minute to figure out where 12 is as a guide.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 05:49 PM   #19
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
The PO is IMO the best looking dive watch there is. Also, love the dark gray bezel which provides contrast to the black dial and gives it that oh-so-cool vintage look. Orange makes the dial POP!

Interestingly, the glass back makes it MORE comfortable than the old PO in my opinion.

Congrats....
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:13 PM   #20
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thanks for sharing, great looking watch
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
From a diver's point of view, it is easier to monitor dive time with the color variation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I understand that and I can see how divers may like the feature. IMO, the hands are different enough shape to be able to tell them apart without them being a different color. I love the watch but I makes it look fake.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:53 PM   #22
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Great review! Thanks!
Very nice watch as well!
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:29 AM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Beautiful watch, congrats. I'm kind of torn on the lume: I'm sure it's more helpful for divers, but for us desk divers, I think a uniform coloration would be better (imo, of course).

But it is an amazing piece, enjoy and wear in good health!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:20 PM   #24
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
IMO, The new PO really "crystallizes" two things for me...it's simultaneously 1) more elegant in its looks....and 2) has more presence that the Sub-c. In my book, that's pretty cool. extraordinary
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:59 PM   #25
htc8p
"TRF" Member

thanks for the replies.

like all watches there are negatives. the only problem i see with this watch is probably the weight and the thickness.

if they were only able to make the links as comfortable as oyster bracelet and with micro adjustment slots, then the weight and thickness wouldnt matter anymore.
Old 23 March 2012, 07:48 AM   #26
InTime
Banned

nice watch, how big is your wrist?
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 01:21 PM   #27
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTime View Post
nice watch, how big is your wrist?
my wrist is smallish 6.5" but rectangular. i can carry the watch nicely.

actually it doesnt seem to be a large difference from the 40mm watches because it doesnt have the fat lugs and the bezel is "inside" the case
Old 23 March 2012, 01:27 PM   #28
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Beautiful watch, congrats. I'm kind of torn on the lume: I'm sure it's more helpful for divers, but for us desk divers, I think a uniform coloration would be better (imo, of course).

But it is an amazing piece, enjoy and wear in good health!
actually this watch is just at home on the desk as much as in the pool/water. its a very versatile watch.
Old 27 March 2012, 02:06 PM   #29
InTime
Banned

looks perfect on you. i tried one on earlier. 42mm is nice on me too. the bezel numbers look small on me, i like bigger numbers, but its just me.
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote