The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 December 2012, 03:36 AM   #31
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
There are some threads about that here, try searching. I think both are great watches, but I would save up to buy it instead of flipping.
Me too. I just can't stand the thought of having to get rid of a watch I like so that I can pick up another one. I find collecting to be much more enjoyable than flipping.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
The Explorer I has something that the Omega just can't compete with: history. The history that goes with the Explorer I and what it represents to Rolex is just fantastic. I will say that the Omega is a great watch and the design is modern and fantastic, it would be a great addition to anyone's collection just not the sole entity .
Old 4 December 2012, 12:41 PM   #33
Docar
"TRF" Member

If you are open to another possibility, may I suggest the Grand Seiko?

Absolutely outstanding in every way. (photo from the web)

Docar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Bulldurham08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
IMO, on the wrist, the Explorer blows the AT out of the water.

Off the wrist, the watches look very similar. One big turnoff for me is the pointy hour markers combined with the dial texture is too much for me. The EXP on the wrist is pure perfection. I totally understand your lack of date situation, but I would NOT give up the EXP for the Omega. The Omega just looks awkward on the wrist IMO!

Bulldurham08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Palmasea
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC~AP~RLX~PAM~UN
That explorer is pure perfection...if it was a bit bigger, the entire forum would be all over it, just like the GMT II C I would not do the trade.

Palmasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 07:35 PM   #36
manuu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex CHNR
The omega AT is the superior watch in every way. From the finish and details.. to the movement. You only need to see the above pictures with both the watches to see the difference. And that pic of the AT on the OEM leather is just beautiful.
manuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 11:54 AM   #37
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I have both...and love both. If I had to choose, it would be the AT. The dial is more interesting with the teak and it has a unique 3-D look to it. It's hard to see in pictures.

Take a look at the hour markers and hands of the AT and compare to the EXP markers and hands. More detail and better finished!!!

The AT has greater presence IMO and is more distinctive than the EXP. ALSO, it IS timeless and classy. Omega designs have a way of having a bit more style than Rolex and yet remain timeless. The
Omega 8500 movement is more advanced and better finished.

I love the EXP bracelet, though. Extremely well made. More comfortable than the Omega bracelet . The EXP bracelet has the easy link. Though both bracelets are very well made, the EXP bracelet/clasp gets the edge in terms of ease of use. The clasp on the EXP has the "flip lock" which I prefer.

Just went to Boca Raton. The Rolex watches, as much as I try to be objective, indeed do not have the wrist presence compared to any modern day Omega. The Rolexes are too small and too shiny and just don't compare in curb appeal. You photo captures my point.

Not all will agree, I understand.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Both are very nice watches. If you love your Exp. I would not part with it. The teck stripes on the AT are subtle in most lights.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2012, 04:30 AM   #39
jt-
"TRF" Member

Curious which watch you all would consider a better choice for a 65th birthday present for my Dad. He, like most people, recognizes a Rolex as a quality watch but not so sure he's all that familiar with Omega.

I'm leaning towards the Explorer for him. Opinions?
jt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2012, 05:59 AM   #40
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I ended up purchasing an Explorer I after trying one on, and had admired it in photos for some time. I tried to like the Aqua Terra, but it never grew on me now matter how many times I tried it on. I really dislike the arabic minute markings which I find to be busy. Yet I really like the hour markings on the Explorer I. Something about the symmetry The legibility of the AT is much better due to the size and shape of the hands as well as the layering of the dial elements, not to mention the excellent anti-reflective coating Omega uses. But it all just feels too busy to my eye, which of course is a personal thing. While the 8500 is more modern, the ExpI movement has proven to be amazingly accurate if I rest it crown down at night. For what it's worth, my other nice watch is a POC 9300.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 03:58 AM   #41
synth19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docar View Post
If you are open to another possibility, may I suggest the Grand Seiko?

Absolutely outstanding in every way. (photo from the web)

Impressive!
Old 5 February 2013, 05:21 AM   #42
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

The Exp is a great looking watch... but... the styling and design that has gone into the AT is, IMHO, far superior to Rolex's offerings. The level of detail throughout the watch makes the Explorer very plain. Rolex is big on history with their design and real lack of modern style updates. Omega has been referred to as more "blingy" with their styling. It just depends on which style sings to you. As for the teak dial, you really need to see it in person to appreciate it. Very similar to the DJ tapestry dials... now those I love... bottom line, I would personally do it. But if you like owning and wearing a Rolex, keep and save. I don't think you can go wrong.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 06:32 AM   #43
GregoryZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
You have a beautiful Explorer. I too have an Exp. I and miss the date feature terribly. But, if anything, I would save up/trade for a EXP. II and not trade for an Omega. I currently have two Omega's (Moon watch & Seamaster Pro 300) and love them, but definitely not the same pedigree.
GregoryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 07:25 PM   #44
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I have both...and love both. If I had to choose, it would be the AT. The dial is more interesting with the teak and it has a unique 3-D look to it. It's hard to see in pictures.

Take a look at the hour markers and hands of the AT and compare to the EXP markers and hands. More detail and better finished!!!

The AT has greater presence IMO and is more distinctive than the EXP. ALSO, it IS timeless and classy. Omega designs have a way of having a bit more style than Rolex and yet remain timeless. The
Omega 8500 movement is more advanced and better finished.

I love the EXP bracelet, though. Extremely well made. More comfortable than the Omega bracelet . The EXP bracelet has the easy link. Though both bracelets are very well made, the EXP bracelet/clasp gets the edge in terms of ease of use. The clasp on the EXP has the "flip lock" which I prefer.

Well stated. Omegas are smoking the Rolex line up these days.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:23 PM   #45
khoalety

I'm an Omega fan but if you own an Explorer I wouldn't give it up. It is a beauty. The date is overrated. :P
khoalety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 07:52 PM   #46
ROLEX2447
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Yachtmaster II

Explorer 39mm by synth19, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Beautiful and have never seen this model.

I really like the larger than usual numbers..
ROLEX2447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 03:19 PM   #47
aprasert
"TRF" Member

Keep the explorer. Outside of the speedmaster and Seamaster/planet ocean lines, Omega's designs aren't as classic.

And just use your smart phone for the date ;)
aprasert is offline   Reply With Quote