The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 November 2012, 02:49 AM   #1
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
James Bond Aqua Terra - Skyfall

Anybody seen the newish Blue dial Aqua Terra as worn by James Bond in Skyfall????

Its strange really as all the Omega campaigns are showing Bond with the Omega PO however most of the film he switches to the Aqua Terra, Omega acknowledge this on their website but the campaign is all around another PO (Bonds third model in 3 films)

Anyhow, I was not fussed on the AT however passing a few shops I must admit it looks great in the flesh so to speak!!

Anybody tried or own one?? Not really much mention about this specific model amongst the tons of Skyfall threads
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Don't own one but tried it on. The blue dial is amazing person. The stock photos on the website don't do it justice. The same can be said about a lot of Omega models in my opinion. I wish they would find a way to put videos or "real life" pictures on the site.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
jvo300
"TRF" Member

I'm really interested in one! However, I find the 8500 AT to be quite thick. I may still bite the bullet for that lovely blue dial!
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo300 View Post
I'm really interested in one! However, I find the 8500 AT to be quite thick. I may still bite the bullet for that lovely blue dial!
Unless you are used to a JLC ultra thin, the 38.5mm AT is not thick at all. IMO it is a pure dress watch. I think people assume the 8500 caliber is a "thick" movement because it so commonly seen on the PO and the PO Chrono. What people seem to not realize is that the cases on the PO are not thick because of the movement but because they need to be water resistant to depths that would allow the watch to keep working while you are likely dead at the bottom of the ocean.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Dream99
Banned

Hin This is my Aqua Terra. I Love it but its not the Bond one, its the 2012 Olympic SE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aqua Terra SE 2012.jpg (49.4 KB, 2832 views)
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
Unless you are used to a JLC ultra thin, the 38.5mm AT is not thick at all. IMO it is a pure dress watch. I think people assume the 8500 caliber is a "thick" movement because it so commonly seen on the PO and the PO Chrono. What people seem to not realize is that the cases on the PO are not thick because of the movement but because they need to be water resistant to depths that would allow the watch to keep working while you are likely dead at the bottom of the ocean.
Are you serious? Can you please provide the model number you are referring to because a 13.5mm thick "dress watch" doesnt jive. Its thicker than the DJII at 41mm, its thicker than all the Submariners! Its nearly as thick as a Sea Dweller! Its not proper to use the ultrathin to compare, lets just focus on comparing it even bigger and just as sporty/tough watches it competes with. Its a porker
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Ive seen the Blue AT Skyfall at an AD and it is a TREMENDOUS looker! The dial is detailed and has much depth to it. The faceted/brushed hour markers and pinstriped steppe dial make the dial so interesting. And the midnight blue color is money.

Typical Omega design...more flair and more unique ( than a Rolex DJ or Explorer) while maintaining a timelessness.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 10:36 PM   #8
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Might try watchuseek omega forum with thread entitled
"The skyfall omega AT on full view on Bond"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Anybody seen the newish Blue dial Aqua Terra as worn by James Bond in Skyfall????

Its strange really as all the Omega campaigns are showing Bond with the Omega PO however most of the film he switches to the Aqua Terra, Omega acknowledge this on their website but the campaign is all around another PO (Bonds third model in 3 films)

Anyhow, I was not fussed on the AT however passing a few shops I must admit it looks great in the flesh so to speak!!

Anybody tried or own one?? Not really much mention about this specific model amongst the tons of Skyfall threads
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 01:45 PM   #9
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
I've seen it in person here in Seattle, and it is quite nice. Omega isn't really pushing it though, because while the AT is a beautiful watch, it's not their headliner for the Seamaster collection. The AT plays second fiddle to the PO, which is the one they want to become the watch everyone thinks of when they think Omega.
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust YG
The blue dial, mid-size Aqua Terra (cal. 8500) is stunning -- if you like blue. It's sort of a blackish blue -- nothing like the blue dial on a DeVille. Saw one in an Omega boutique recently when the sales person was showing me the Skyfall Planet Ocean. In the hand, the Skyfall Aqua Terra is heavy and thick, definitely well made and finished. Reminded me of my Rolexes in terms of superb fit and finish.
Datejust10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 11:17 AM   #11
jvo300
"TRF" Member

I tried one on today. It is thick to me. My point of comparison was my AP 15300 (39mm) that I wore to the boutique. I felt the Skyfall AT was about as thick as my 2500 Planet Ocean. Not a huge deal, but it is just a little more chunky than I'm used to for that size case. I'm on the fence given the following:

1. The date wheel is black. The black and blue clash kind of bothers me.

2. Retail is $5500 USD from boutique (before taxes). I could get a preloved grey for closer to $3000. That's feels like a big premium just to get a blue dial!

Despite these points, it's still on my mind. My heart yearns for the blue! What to do ...
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
Hin This is my Aqua Terra. I Love it but its not the Bond one, its the 2012 Olympic SE
Great looking watch. I owned a watch with a blue reptile band years ago. Don't see too many blue straps out there since it's an unconventional look. Wear it in good health!
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 07:38 AM   #13
andrewc6207
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega liquid Metal
Aqua Terra Skyfall

Bought it. Got it from watchfinder in UK, unworn and about 10 per cent discount below RRP. As usual Tom Holland helpful and offered fair deal
Simply stunning. Have owned jlcs, rolex but this is I have to say is a beautiful timepiece. Balanced, elegant, classy and the blue has to be seen to be believed
It feels like a watch way above its price point...v happy
andrewc6207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
jamison237
"TRF" Member

Absolutely stunning piece. Well done on this one Omega.
jamison237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
khoalety

I wonder when it will come out for women in 30mm, 34mm and men 41.5mm!!! :)
khoalety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 01:19 AM   #16
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
Quote:
What a beaut!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 01:27 AM   #17
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
The thickness of the PO case has nothing to due with its depth rating - it's all fashion - and I have seen this falsity mentioned at least a few times on here. IWC released the Ocean 2000 in 1984, with a depth rating of 2000m and a case thickness of only 10.5mm. The Ocean 500 (500m depth rating, similar to the current PO), was only 8.5mm! The PO could be much much much thinner, lose the HEV, and still manage a measly 600m rating.

Omega wanted to produce a thick watch with the new PO, and they did. There was no engineering reason.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
gilv
Banned

Just picked this one up (thanks Alfred aka FNFZ4). The blue dial, as stated before, is stunning and changes and captures light like no other blue dialed watch I have seen. I have had all colors AT in the 41 mm size (opaline, grey and black) but this blue one is mesmerizing. As for the Bond or Skyfall connection, I'm glad it does not have any of those markings. The fact it is shown prominently in the movie is an added bonus.

gilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Island Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilv View Post
Just picked this one up (thanks Alfred aka FNFZ4). The blue dial, as stated before, is stunning and changes and captures light like no other blue dialed watch I have seen. I have had all colors AT in the 41 mm size (opaline, grey and black) but this blue one is mesmerizing. As for the Bond or Skyfall connection, I'm glad it does not have any of those markings. The fact it is shown prominently in the movie is an added bonus.

Gilv,

Great watch. Looks wonderful on your wrist. Hoping to catch one as well on TRF. Enjoy!

Island Dreamer
Island Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 10:09 AM   #20
jms_w
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Beautiful!
jms_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 01:49 PM   #21
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
That's a fine looking watch.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 02:51 AM   #22
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoalety View Post
I wonder when it will come out for women in 30mm, 34mm and men 41.5mm!!! :)
It will be released in the larger 41.5 mm size later this year.
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2013, 12:59 AM   #23
Daddychaddy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
It will be released in the larger 41.5 mm size later this year.
How do you know this Ranhong?... Any idea when and idea of costs?
Daddychaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2013, 02:05 AM   #24
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddychaddy View Post
How do you know this Ranhong?... Any idea when and idea of costs?
Around Basel, should be the same price as the 39mm version.
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2013, 07:29 PM   #25
ghislain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
Around Basel, should be the same price as the 39mm version.
Price wise that is what I have seen for various other models too...A stunning watch, I am on the fence for the 41.5 mm version, Basel is only a few weeks away (April 25 - May 2) but it might take another couple of months after that before the watch is actually available from the dealers....
ghislain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 04:30 AM   #26
ghislain
"TRF" Member

Does anybody know the reference for the Omega Deployment Clasp to be used with the AT 41.5 mm version? Am I correct in believing it is 94521813?
Old 11 September 2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
I can't help with clasp codes I'm afraid, but since this thread has been bumped anyway I can't resist putting on a couple of pics of my blue AT!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 11:46 AM   #28
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it's a beautiful watch but the only thing that stopped me from purchasing was the thickness.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 03:43 PM   #29
ghislain
"TRF" Member

^^^ Congratulations ! It is a stunning watch, especially the blue dial one, very few pictures can do it justice though, one has to see it in real to really be able to appreciate how gorgeous this watch is. For more formal occasions I believe it is even better on leather hence my question about which clasp should be used.
Old 16 September 2013, 05:41 AM   #30
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII

It's a beautiful watch, but it looks better in person. I didn't buy it although I've seriously thought about it.
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote