The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 April 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Zerouali
"TRF" Member

Planet Ocean GMT!

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/se...23230442203001

So excited and disappointed! Why a unidirectional bezel on a GMT?
I'm really hoping it won't only be released in blue and orange.
Zerouali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

looks like a special edition?

as much as i want to like it, i feel like the orange 24-hour hand would only make me think of the explorer II. other than that, the blue & orange is striking.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2013, 09:13 PM   #3
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
this definitely looks like a special edition but I am SO happy, this way there will be more 'regular' editions too of the awesome PO GMT with the 8605 calibre ..this is definitely a striking start :D
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
just checked the omega website...it is 43.5 mm in diameter, which is half way between previous PO models :)...now I am so confused between the new PO 42mm and this, but this has great added advantage of GMT which I need

p.s. I like the diver bezel on this GMT as it serves both functions, dive bezel as well as GMT..dont like my bi-directional bezel on the old SMP GMT that I have.
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 12:09 AM   #5
balboa73
Banned

Wow. Omegas really stepping up their game.
balboa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 01:09 AM   #6
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
That blue and orange is real refreshing!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 01:32 AM   #7
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

If they do a non blue and orange version, I'll be interested. That colour scheme is...challenging
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 01:35 AM   #8
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
If they do a non blue and orange version, I'll be interested. That colour scheme is...challenging
It looks like they took the blue bits from the Ti LM model and added some orange because Rolex uses orange on their newer GMT model. Maybe the next one can use a green hand!
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
It looks like they took the blue bits from the Ti LM model and added some orange because Rolex uses orange on their newer GMT model. Maybe the next one can use a green hand!

and add a cyclops?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 02:11 AM   #10
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Omegas not attempting to copy Rolex. Take Rolex of the pedestal and you might actually realize that Omega currently offers a superior product in the sport watch category
Old 11 April 2013, 03:26 AM   #11
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
I'm pretty sure Omegas not attempting to copy Rolex. Take Rolex of the pedestal and you might actually realize that Omega currently offers a superior product in the sport watch category
I realize that we're on RolexForum, but there's nothing in my post which suggests that I hold Rolex on any sort of pedestal. All my pedestals are reserved for watch manufacturers that don't fit $10 bracelets on $10,000 watches. With that said, please provide a historical Omega model with any sort of orange GMT styling cues. This watch copies the orange hand Explorer 2 styling in an IMO fairly blatant and unsophisticated way.

On edit: this watch also suffers from the "blue dial and black date disk" phenomenon of the Ti LM watches. I wish Omega would just spring for a blue date disk, it would look so much nicer.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 03:56 AM   #12
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

I like the concept but with the color scheme I hate to say it but I think Omega dropped the ball on this one.

Even with just making the markers on the bezel white versus orange would have been a big improvement.

It reminds me of an Oris.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 05:03 AM   #13
applebook
"TRF" Member

I like it.
Old 11 April 2013, 06:08 AM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I realize that we're on RolexForum, but there's nothing in my post which suggests that I hold Rolex on any sort of pedestal. All my pedestals are reserved for watch manufacturers that don't fit $10 bracelets on $10,000 watches. With that said, please provide a historical Omega model with any sort of orange GMT styling cues. This watch copies the orange hand Explorer 2 styling in an IMO fairly blatant and unsophisticated way.

On edit: this watch also suffers from the "blue dial and black date disk" phenomenon of the Ti LM watches. I wish Omega would just spring for a blue date disk, it would look so much nicer.
You could say copy....but I think the answer is obvious. They have already been using this blue and orange pallet on the Planet Ocean line for quite some time. Why they chose it in this exact pattern, who knows. But the colors aren't pulled from no where and this is a Planet Ocean watch, and other than an orange hand it looks nothing at all like Explorer 2.

Want to see a copy....maybe the AP FC Diver and the IWC Aquatimer is a better comparison. I don't give a damn though, all these watches are awesome.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 06:16 AM   #15
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
You could say copy....but I think the answer is obvious. They have already been using this blue and orange pallet on the Planet Ocean line for quite some time. Why they chose it in this exact pattern, who knows. But the colors aren't pulled from no where and this is a Planet Ocean watch, and other than an orange hand it looks nothing at all like Explorer 2.

Want to see a copy....maybe the AP FC Diver and the IWC Aquatimer is a better comparison. I don't give a damn though, all these watches are awesome.
agreed

Even with their $10 bracelets
Old 11 April 2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

I like it but why do they have to go so big. They fit this movement in a 42mm case, I think the GMT function doesn't add diameter. The only watch over 42mm I'll ever do is my Deepsea. I swear I was looking at my PO just yesterday thinking "if only they made a GMT PO", now they did but 43.5 = 44mm. I'm almost thinking - no thanks, GMT2c here I come. We'll see how it looks in person.
I think it puts into perspective Rolex's expertise in movement making as they can make the GMT so small and thin and then look at the Daytona, albeit without co-axials.
Old 11 April 2013, 06:20 AM   #17
psv
"TRF" Member

I really want to like Omega, but a HEV on a GMT watch? That is just silly! And the orange GMT hands smells too much like Rolex.

43.5mm is doable, but I wonder how thick it is.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I really want to like Omega, but a HEV on a GMT watch? That is just silly! And the orange GMT hands smells too much like Rolex.

43.5mm is doable, but I wonder how thick it is.
...because it still is a full featured dive watch after all.
Old 11 April 2013, 06:49 AM   #19
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I don't think it qualifies as a dive watch per ISO requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_...diving_watches
Old 11 April 2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Dream99
Banned

Omega does it again ! A beautiful watch that's so so practical and a watch that is possible to read the second time zone easily. Simple but very clever bezel
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 06:59 AM   #21
Dream99
Banned

Do you think they look like clones or omega copying Rolex ? I don't. Omega's much better looking for one thing and much more versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: png 23230442203001-20.png (102.7 KB, 1293 views)
File Type: png m216570-0002.png (143.7 KB, 1296 views)
Old 11 April 2013, 07:05 AM   #22
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not to argue, I realize you can use the bezel to mark start time and then count ET on the dial, but to be considered a full feature dive watch wouldn't it need an elapsed time bezel so you can read the ET rather than have to count it?
Old 11 April 2013, 07:11 AM   #23
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I don't think it qualifies as a dive watch per ISO requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_...diving_watches
Ok, yeah, maybe like technically....because maybe the bezel but that's nitpicking. It still has an indicator at 12 so it can still technically mark time. I would dive with this watch more so than any other GMT on the market and I'm talking saturation. What diver uses only their mechanical watch for timing.
Besides my comment wasn't directed for technical spec sheets, it was to state the reason for the He valve.
Do you really believe from a business stand point that it's feasible to fabricate whole new case designs or use an existing case to promote a new design, not to mention that many people actually wanted the PO's current configuration to go GMT. I just didn't want it to be big and thick.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:26 AM   #24
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Not to argue, I realize you can use the bezel to mark start time and then count ET on the dial, but to be considered a full feature dive watch wouldn't it need an elapsed time bezel so you can read the ET rather than have to count it?
Yes.

side comment:
Would that keep someone from a diving excursion while on vacation with this watch.
So ironic as I constantly hear how such an all around watch the GMTc is, no one will ever need to go beyond 100 meters diving they say: no mention is ever made of the bezel. On the Omega it isn't a "dive" watch because of the very same bezel which on this model only goes one way in fact.
This watch's only flaw is size and thickness. It isn't meant to be a dive watch like the Deepsea but it sure ticks a whole lot of boxes on the feature list.....yeah minus a time lapse bezel.
If it had a diving bezel the haters would say, what a crap watch....why no GMT bezel.
The Rolex kool-aid is really good around here. The same comments were made about a GS which looked nothing like the GMTc except for the bezel, so of course it's a copy right.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:26 AM   #25
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
Do you think they look like clones or omega copying Rolex ? I don't. Omega's much better looking for one thing and much more versatile.
I'm not here to argue, I'm glad that Omega is releasing a GMT in the Seamaster series, but orange GMT hand like Rolex? Orange text dial like the Explorer?

Regardless, it is attractive watch, if one like the design more or less than the Explorer II is completely subjective (like I personally find the hands on the Rolex too thick and chubby).

I hope it won't be too thick and/or sit too high on the wrist.

Still, this watch would have looked much cleaner without the HEV valve.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:38 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not here to argue, I'm glad that Omega is releasing a GMT in the Seamaster series, but orange GMT hand like Rolex? Orange text dial like the Explorer?

Regardless, it is attractive watch, if one like the design more or less than the Explorer II is completely subjective (like I personally find the hands on the Rolex too thick and chubby).

I hope it won't be too thick and/or sit too high on the wrist.

Still, this watch would have looked much cleaner without the HEV valve.
That's the Aqua Terra GMT.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:43 AM   #27
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
It's a beautiful sporty wristwatch
Nice colours blue/orange, Spring is finally here
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 08:01 AM   #28
Dream99
Banned

What a thing of beauty the Omega movements are these days and very worthy of the see through case back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23230442203001-40.jpg (158.2 KB, 1289 views)
File Type: jpg 23230442203001-60.jpg (117.9 KB, 1292 views)
Old 11 April 2013, 08:27 AM   #29
khoalety

It is like Omega designed this watch with the Detroit Tigers colors in mind. Just kidding... it is a beautiful watch indeed. Even if I have the $, 43.5mm is too big for my wrist. :(
khoalety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 10:03 AM   #30
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
x2!!!
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote